TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
billypritchard
Embiggener

How I Met Your Mother - "The Locket"/"Coming Back" - 9/23/13

Gotta start a thread so people can come in and say how much they don't like the show anymore...

There was some excellent stuff in these two episodes, and then some other stuff that just didn't work. First the good.

The Mother! And not only was she present, she was great. The Lily/Mother scenes were by far the best part of the first half hour. It was amazing how immediately likable she was, and fit right in. Then the scene at the end of episode 2 starts to give us Ted/Mother together, so we understand why they go well together and why we've been hearing this story for 9 years. Really out of the park on those scenes.

I liked some of the Marshall stuff, but it was pretty broad humor.

The Barney 'curse' flashback was pretty lame.

Barney/Robin, eh. I'm just not sure that works, but it's what we've got.

Did I mention I like the Mother?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Gunnyman
Peekols

sumbitches!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Gotta start a thread so people can come in and say how much they don't like the show anymore...

There was some excellent stuff in these two episodes, and then some other stuff that just didn't work. First the good.

The Mother! And not only was she present, she was great. The Lily/Mother scenes were by far the best part of the first half hour. It was amazing how immediately likable she was, and fit right in. Then the scene at the end of episode 2 starts to give us Ted/Mother together, so we understand why they go well together and why we've been hearing this story for 9 years. Really out of the park on those scenes.

I agree with you on these. The curse flashback was just dumb. Even worse was the "are we cousins or not" scene. The Mother is great, though.
jehma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I hated the 'cousins' scenes. Way too drawn out and was just not funny.

Loved the Lily/Mother scenes too.

I liked when current Ted and future Ted/Mother were at the same table 1 year apart.

Overall two good starts for the season for me. I hope they can keep it up!
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
laria
Librocubicularist

I liked the little voice overs in the Mother/Lily scenes that said that she had driving gloves and went on detours for stupid crap like Florian van Buckle, or whatever his name was, too.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I liked the little voice overs in the Mother/Lily scenes that said that she had driving gloves and went on detours for stupid crap like Florian van Buckle, or whatever his name was, too.
Yeah, and even though, after the first one I knew the rest were coming, I still found them funny.

I enjoyed the first episode and I have to rewatch the second while being more awake. Good start to the season.

The mother is really cute. I could definitely see her as Ted's type.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
TonyD79

Quote:
This for sure.

I marveled at how well she fit while watching the train scene.

I fear we are going to get a whole season of Marshall driving cross country with Sherri Shepard. They didn't cast her to not use her.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
2004raptor

I liked the overweight guy at the airport having increasingly sweat stains when they sowed him.

I just don't like Wayne Brady. Writing him in was a terrible idea.

Overall, pretty decent start to the season.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Idearat

I liked the cousin gag, it's one I haven't seen before. While watching the scene I could picture cousin Phil ( or whatever his name was ) checking his mail.

"Hey, here's a wedding invitation from Cousin Barney"
"Hey, here's a wedding invitation from Cousin Robin"

"Hmm... both of these are for the same wedding".

I'm surprised they were able to resist playing a couple riffs from Dueling Banjos
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yeah, and even though, after the first one I knew the rest were coming, I still found them funny.
And then the left turn when she doesn't drive slow, and got Ted to stop driving slowly by calling him Lady Tedwina Slowsby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I fear we are going to get a whole season of Marshall driving cross country with Sherri Shepard. They didn't cast her to not use her.
That was my biggest issue. If the wedding is in 54 hours and Marshall is driving from Minneapolis, it's going to take him at least 20 of those hours, so it probably means we won't get Marshall back together with the gang until after Christmas, and that we'll have to put up with Sherri Shepard that long. Ugh. Not looking forward to that at all.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That was my biggest issue. If the wedding is in 54 hours and Marshall is driving from Minneapolis, it's going to take him at least 20 of those hours, so it probably means we won't get Marshall back together with the gang until after Christmas, and that we'll have to put up with Sherri Shepard that long. Ugh. Not looking forward to that at all.
This. I don't like this plotline. But maybe I'll change my mind as the season goes along.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
nyc13

Seems like every joke was played about twice as long as was funny (Linus the bartender, click "options", hotel clerk feeling sorry for Ted, etc.) Sometimes playing a joke too long can itself be funny, but not every time.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
getbak

I wonder if Marshall's road trip was a compromise they had to make in order to get Segal to return for the final season? I believe he was the last hold-out last year when they were negotiating with the cast to return.

During the Emmys, they had a sketch with the HIMYM cast and Segal's one bit was separate from the rest, and he didn't appear in any of the group shots:

2013 Emmys EHD How I Met Your Mother skit
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I wonder if Marshall's road trip was a compromise they had to make in order to get Segal to return for the final season? I believe he was the last hold-out last year when they were negotiating with the cast to return.

During the Emmys, they had a sketch with the HIMYM cast and Segal's one bit was separate from the rest, and he didn't appear in any of the group shots:

2013 Emmys EHD How I Met Your Mother skit
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
I don't follow he backstage stuff for these shows. Are there rumors that he's not getting along with the rest of the cast?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
I don't follow he backstage stuff for these shows. Are there rumors that he's not getting along with the rest of the cast?
I've never heard any rumors of that - in fact, I've only heard that the cast gets along famously. I just think Segal's probably done with the show after nearly a decade and wants to do other stuff.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Loved The Mother. Thought she had excellent chemistry with both Lily and Ted. Everything else was meh. Not bad, but not great.

I did like the "So you want the Kennedy package" line from the bartender though. That got a giggle from me.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Balzer

Thumbs up

Love the Mother, and loved the flash-forward scene at the end!

Good shows.

Roamio/Stream (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Oct '13)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
HoosierFan
Poker nut

Quote:
My wife said that on the View they said she was on for
Spoiler:
seven episodes

Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I've never heard any rumors of that - in fact, I've only heard that the cast gets along famously. I just think Segal's probably done with the show after nearly a decade and wants to do other stuff.
With that said, why would he "request" that roadtrip? I'm trying to figure that out.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

The Mother has brought me back to the show after a two-year hiatus in my house. She's a doll.

And somebody needs to bake me some sumbitches.

Marshall's cross-country trip and Barney and Robin's possible blood ties -- not as much fun. But I'll endure the soft spots for more of the Mother.

I wonder -- will they give her an actual name, or will she be known only as "The Mother"?
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
With that said, why would he "request" that roadtrip? I'm trying to figure that out.
My guess would be scheduling issues probably related to other projects he's working on. He could have filmed those road trip scenes in less than a week and then be free to work on other commitments during the time the rest of the cast was shooting the main scenes.

This is not uncommon at all, by the way.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
My guess would be scheduling issues probably related to other projects he's working on. He could have filmed those road trip scenes in less than a week and then be free to work on other commitments during the time the rest of the cast was shooting the main scenes.

Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #23
milo99

Quote:
i didn't think about it this way. but now, i'm dreading it.

ugh.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
The mother is really cute. I could definitely see her as Ted's type.
You mean "female"?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
laria
Librocubicularist

I'm still having a hard time thinking of her as "The Mother", although the dark hair is helping. I still think of her as Abby Flynn, the very sexy baby from 30 Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmKN6DT-VE

(I can't figure out how to embed it. )
Old 09-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
I'm still having a hard time thinking of her as "The Mother", although the dark hair is helping. I still think of her as Abby Flynn, the very sexy baby from 30 Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmKN6DT-VE

(I can't figure out how to embed it. )
She really looks so different with dark hair. And a normal voice. :P

To embed videos, just do this:

[Y T="I'm a very sexy baby"]uEmKN6DT-VE[/yt]

But remove the space between the first Y and T. (It is here in the example because if it was together it would embed and you couldn't see the example)

It will then embed:

I'm a very sexy baby

Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
Ment

The Mother is what I imagine an younger Audrey Tautou role would be in an American sitcom. Hopefully the Ted forever pining for Robin trope can be retired.

And please don't spend too many more scenes on Marshall's trip to the wedding that's straight up boring..
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
TonyD79

Quote:
I'm still having a hard time thinking of her as "The Mother", although the dark hair is helping. I still think of her as Abby Flynn, the very sexy baby from 30 Rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmKN6DT-VE (I can't figure out how to embed it. )
Nah. From that clip and Monday, I'd say she can act. Very different.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #29
smak
TV MA SLV

It seems like much of this season will take place at the wedding.

I kind of like that. If the whole series is about the circumstances that lead to him meeting her, multiple years of this, it would be weird for them to not go into depth about the day they actually meet.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:

probably just as much about the location where he shot those scenes, as the time it took.

He could have done those shots anywhere, whereas he would have to be where everybody else was if he shot with them.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote