Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
arantius

DVR Commander for TiVo is looking for beta testers

Hi. I'm the developer of DVR Commander for TiVo:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....tivocommander

It's the Android app that was out before TiVo's official app was, on Android. It's still smaller, faster, and in my opinion better for many uses. I've been working on a new version with a whole bunch of new features. Enough that it would be a lot of help if people could help me make sure they all work right!

I'm looking for people with:

A) Any TiVo Premiere or Roamio device (not Virgin Media, sorry).
B) Any Android device (Gingerbread 2.3 or higher).

And the willingness to be a beta tester. Which means working with me to figure out bugs, which might mean sending me data and/or lots of mails back and forth when something doesn't work perfectly right. This is just a hobby project for me, so my resources are limited. Your help is appreciated!

Fill out: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16Ld...myFng/viewform

Last edited by arantius : 09-11-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Reopened beta, new version
arantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

You know, I forgot about your app and hadn't tried it in a while, so I just installed it on my Nexus 10. OMG, it is just so much faster than the horrible official app (especially on a tablet). It is incredibly funny to see your "hobby" app rated 4.3 stars and TiVo's tablet app rated 1.9!!

I wish TiVo would hire and pay YOU to work with a team to be the official app

I don't use or care to use a tablet/phone much with the TiVo Premiere, anyway. But if you need testers, I am certainly willing to assist. I have a Nexus 10 (obviously) and an Evo LTE. Would love to see some additional functionality (to-do list, season pass), more on-screen info (like first air date), and alternate layout for tablets. Will Email you too...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Gadfly

Any Windows RT version by any chance?

I would test the heck of it if you develope a Windows RT version.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
arantius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

I would test the heck of it if you develope a Windows RT version.
It's open source, feel free to fork and port. But no: I wrote this app so that it would exist, so that I could use it, for myself. I give it away for free. But I don't have a Windows RT device and don't want one. And I certainly don't want to spend the time to port it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
Someone uses that? <Snicker snicker>

(Sorry, as a Linux user, I couldn't resist)
Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

We have 2 kindle fires. But I can't find the app in the store.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
We have 2 kindle fires. But I can't find the app in the store.
The Kindle Fire doesn't use Google's app store. It uses Amazon's app store which doesn't have as many apps. Try going to http://www.1mobile.com on your Kindle and installing their app and then use that app to search for DVR Commander for TiVo.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
arantius

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6784911/TiVoCommander017.apk

You can sideload this, for now. I can look into publishing on the Amazon app store once the new version is ready to go. Or apply for beta access to check out the new version now.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

We have finished the beta testing! For some reason, Arantius didn't announce it, but he has placed a new version of DVR Commander for TiVo on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....tivocommander

You are in for a treat! He has added TONS of new features. For phone use, this independently developed and free app just blows away the official TiVo app. It has nearly all the same features but with added capability, is faster, and has no "scanning" crap when it is started. For tablet use compared to the official TiVo app, it is MUCH MUCH faster, has nearly all the same features, some added capability, and no scanning on startup, but doesn't use all the real estate as well.

If you have not tried it, you really should. Thanks, Arantius!!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
WVZR1

It certainly does "work"! I spent very little time with it, so far "GREAT"!!!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Ready to feed the hungry!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
HerronScott

Arantius,

This app shows as not compatible with my Pandigital Supernova (8 inch tablet running Android 2.3 with screen resolution of 800x600). Any ideas as to why?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
arantius

Publishing v18 was a late night thing. Yep, it's live. Yep, it's got a lot of new features and I'm proud of it. Thanks for the great review.

HerronScott: The connection to the TiVo is SSL encrypted, my testing showed that version 2.3.3 of Android was the first that included the right support for the particular encryption required, so that is the minimum version I indicated.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by arantius View Post
HerronScott: The connection to the TiVo is SSL encrypted, my testing showed that version 2.3.3 of Android was the first that included the right support for the particular encryption required, so that is the minimum version I indicated.
Arantius,

Thanks for replying. I've got both TiVo apps installed (the original and TiVo for tablets) and both function without any issues.

Any possibilities that I could test DVR Commander?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Jonathan316

Wow - your DVD Commander runs like a top on my Premiere! Great stuff. The Tivo andriod app is like using the Netflix streamer in Tivo - slow, clunky, darn near featureless, etc. The Tivo app can't even turn sideways on my phone. The DVRC is fast and handy as heck. Thanks for your dev work arantius! Good work.
Jonathan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
wobly

arantius, where can we find the v18 .apk? I am interested in converting it to a .bar file and installing it on a Blackberry Z10.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
BP-isMe

Very Nice

THANK YOU.

Any thoughts about conflict management with two TiVos?

Brad
BP-isMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
wobly

I installed it on my Blackberry Z10 this morning. (Thanks for submitting it to App World!) The install went fine. The settings afterwards were a little tricky. Luckily, you had great instructions on the front page. After adjusting everything in the settings...it didn't work. I closed the program and started it back up and it started working perfectly! The wife was kind of surprised when I was adjusting the Tivo through my phone.
Great program! Thank you!
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
johnh123

Wow, great app. 100 times better than the tivo app - no exaggeration.
johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
sficklin

DVR Commander for TiVo

DVR Commander for TiVo I think is a fabulous program. I use it all the time on my Nexus 7 Android Tablet. In combination with TiVo App from Google Play I think DVR Commander ROCKS!! I'm disabled and going up-and-down the stairs is a real shore for me. But with the use of the DVR Commander for TiVo. I can schedule my shows, monitor my TiVo suggestions and my To-Do-List. The best thing I can also delete the shows once I've done with them. I have only two request. 1. Could you make it so that you can delete this from the recently deleted folder. 2. Could you also make a Windows Version for PC. My main computer has the TiVo Desktop Plus whereas I can transfer shows to my desktop. But if I could have a Windows Version, Wi-Fi of course I can have it on my Asus One Netbook.

Thanks for your time.
Sharon>^..^<
sficklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sficklin View Post
DVR Commander for TiVo I think is a fabulous program. [...]
It is nice. He just put out an update a few days ago, although it is just some bug fixes at this point.

Quote:
2. Could you also make a[n MS-]Windows Version
That is not likely to ever happen.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sficklin View Post
But if I could have a Windows Version, Wi-Fi of course I can have it on my Asus One Netbook.
There are other programs that can run on Windows to give you some of the same functionality, depending on exactly what you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

This is a great app. It's so much better than Tivo's app. Tivo should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
mattack

How is it better than Tivo's actual app? I'm serious. If you make an iPad version, I'd try it out.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
How is it better than Tivo's actual app?
I will quote what I wrote before:

"You are in for a treat! He has added TONS of new features. For phone use, this independently developed and free app just blows away the official TiVo app. It has nearly all the same features but with added capability, is faster, and has no "scanning" crap when it is started. For tablet use compared to the official TiVo app, it is MUCH MUCH faster, has nearly all the same features, some added capability, and no scanning on startup, but doesn't use all the real estate as well."

Quote:
I'm serious. If you make an iPad version, I'd try it out.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
sehale

Just installed it on my Blackberry Z10 and love it!
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #27
Rose4uKY

I just installed it on my Asus Transformer Prime and on my HTC One. Thing is I'm moving Friday and my Tivo Premiere and my 2 mini's will be here tomorrow. I now just have series 3 DVR's. I had the TiVo app before on my Evo 4G LTE but it didn't do everything cause I didn't have the Premiere. Can't wait to check out the Premiere and the mini's. Almost went with Dish and there Hopper and Joey's glad I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehale View Post
Just installed it on my Blackberry Z10 and love it!

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
mattack

That still doesn't answer too much specifically about what's better. The Tivo app sure isn't *slow*.. "scanning crap"? Do you mean connecting to your Tivo?

How do you actually WATCH SHOWS if it doesn't actually connect to your Tivo?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That still doesn't answer too much specifically about what's better. The Tivo app sure isn't *slow*.. "scanning crap"? Do you mean connecting to your Tivo?
Yes, the official TiVo app for Android tablets most certainly is slow. It is very slow. Compared to DVR Commander it is MISERABLY slow. The phone-centric official TiVo app is much faster than the official TiVo tablet app.

BOTH TiVo official Android apps are affected by "scanning crap", and yes, I mean having to "scan" for your TiVo every time the app is launched, which is slow and extremely annoying. DVR Commander has no such issue.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
achalupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

BOTH TiVo official Android apps are affected by "scanning crap", and yes, I mean having to "scan" for your TiVo every time the app is launched, which is slow and extremely annoying. DVR Commander has no such issue.
Interesting... Must be a difference between the iOS and android versions. On my iPhone it just loads right up connected to my primary TiVo with no discernible delay. Switching TiVos might take 1 second.
achalupa is offline   Reply With Quote