TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
One can be right, yet diplomatic about asserting one's opinion.
If you are referring to me, you're right. I was a little curt in my reply.

The reason for it (which doesn't excuse the curtness) is the recent rise in people who post about some very specific problem related to older TiVos. I'm sure it's prompted by the new Roamio, and now you have users who want the new unit, but won't get it because of some perceived slight related to an eight year old unit.

"They promised me a multi-streaming M-card but I need two cards for my S3"

"Why won't they let me move a show I recorded in 2007 to a new TiVo"

"They never fixed the Netflix app in the Premiere"

While these are all legitimate gripes, they are not going to be fixed unless they are mission-critical. And they're not. They did just release the first update to Series 3 units in a long time, and that was to fix the TTG cookie issue. And most of us were stunned they did that.

How many companies release updates for products over 2-3 years old? Very few. And almost no hardware/consumer goods manuf.

Do you have the right to be upset? Sure, this is the Internet. But just don't expect us to agree or even sympathize with you.

Hence, my rude but not totally inappropriate "get over it".
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
If you are referring to me, you're right. I was a little curt in my reply.

The reason for it (which doesn't excuse the curtness) is the recent rise in people who post about some very specific problem related to older TiVos. I'm sure it's prompted by the new Roamio, and now you have users who want the new unit, but won't get it because of some perceived slight related to an eight year old unit.

"They promised me a multi-streaming M-card but I need two cards for my S3"

"Why won't they let me move a show I recorded in 2007 to a new TiVo"

"They never fixed the Netflix app in the Premiere"

While these are all legitimate gripes, they are not going to be fixed unless they are mission-critical. And they're not. They did just release the first update to Series 3 units in a long time, and that was to fix the TTG cookie issue. And most of us were stunned they did that.

How many companies release updates for products over 2-3 years old? Very few. And almost no hardware/consumer goods manuf.

Do you have the right to be upset? Sure, this is the Internet. But just don't expect us to agree or even sympathize with you.

Hence, my rude but not totally inappropriate "get over it".
If one is gentle and sympathetic and understanding when explaining some of those economic facts of life, there's a much better chance of them being able to accept the situation and get over it.

And it really doesn't use all that many more electrons.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

We will never see another feature update for the S3 units, so even if TiVo implements a move feature it will only apply to newer units. It may not even make it back to S4 units, but definitely not S3 units.

So all you can do now is hold on to that old S3 unit until you have a chance to watch or re-record everything on it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We will never see another feature update for the S3 units, so even if TiVo implements a move feature it will only apply to newer units. It may not even make it back to S4 units, but definitely not S3 units.

So all you can do now is hold on to that old S3 unit until you have a chance to watch or re-record everything on it.
I started the thread with a question related to my XL4 to Roamio Pro transition. Why does asking for a easier transition from last month's top-of-the-line unit occassion so much snark? Usually you have to be in Junior High to be so often reminded of how stupid and uncool you are.

Last edited by k2ue : 09-24-2013 at 05:31 PM.
k2ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
I started the thread with a question related to my XL4 to Roamio Pro transition. Why does asking for a easier transition from last month's top-of-the-line unit occassion so much snark? Usually you have to be in Junior High to be so often reminded of how stupid and uncool you are.
I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was trying to answer the question. But for some reason I thought we were talking about moving from a S3.

That being said... It's unlikely TiVo will add a "move" feature at all. They mentioned it as a possibility in a survey, but they were referring to moving protected shows to an iPad via the Stream functionality, not TiVo to TiVo.

However if TiVo does add a move feature there is a chance it could be ported to the Premiere units. As of right now they are basically running the same code base. However based on past history it would need to be added quickly for there to be any hope of it making it back to the Premiere. I'm betting we see one, maybe two, more updates for the Premiere before it's mothballed. So unless this feature is in one of those updates I think hope would be lost.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #36
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The rules are set by CableLabs. (The FCC regs serve mainly to limit how restrictive CableLabs can be.) Guess who owns CableLabs. They can exempt themselves at will. So only third-party equipment providers, like TiVo, have to worry about these rules.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #37
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was trying to answer the question. But for some reason I thought we were talking about moving from a S3.
I wasn't referring to you, Dan -- I thought you were making an effort to be helpful in your replies. But lot of folks seem to have nothing to add but disdain. I've seen references elsewhere to TiVoCommunity degenerating into a snarkfest, so it is not my observation alone. And having been around here from time to time since 2002, I can see the ratio of useful to antagonistic repies has taken a turn for the worse in recent years.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
Dan, he was referring to me. I was a bit testy, which is unusual for me. And now I see k2ue has caught the same bug.

"Last month's top of the line"? Come on, now you're being as obtuse as I was.

I'm going to quietly back away, because I have nothing positive to add to this thread.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote