TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

A Question for TiVo

Why does TiVo prevent the transfer of protected programs THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN VIEWED? How can it be any kind of abuse to viewing restrictions to simply MOVE an UNVIEWED program to another TiVo for viewing? This is obvious and logical -- what can the counter arguement possibly be??? Those of us who suffer with TW want to know. . .
Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
Why does TiVo prevent the transfer of protected programs THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN VIEWED? How can it be any kind of abuse to viewing restrictions to simply MOVE an UNVIEWED program to another TiVo for viewing? This is obvious and logical -- what can the counter arguement possibly be??? Those of us who suffer with TW want to know. . .
It's not up to TiVo. The restrictions are set by the providers.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
It's not up to TiVo. The restrictions are set by the providers.
You are missing my point, moving a recording from point A to B within the same residence is NOT A COPY, there are not TWO (TiVo can assure that), and they have not NOT LEFT THE PREMISES.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
moyekj

If you have series 4 or later or TiVo Mini as a client then you can use MRS to view, so just upgrade from your old series 3 or earlier and problem solved.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

Tivo has not created a "move" protocol. Transfer (which leaves a copy on two machines) and stream (which leaves a copy on the first machine) work as designed, but are limited by the protocols set up in the cablecard standards. You may not personally consider something a "copy", but the standards do.

The new stream offerings are meant to get around the various restrictions from the likes of TW, its not clear to me why this would not work in nearly every scenario with the stream-capable boxes. (Amazon downloads apparently will not stream)
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you have series 4 or later or TiVo Mini as a client then you can use MRS to view, so just upgrade from your old series 3 or earlier and problem solved.
That does not solve the problem of equipment upgrades -- I have 1.5GB on an XL4 that I can't move to a new Roamio Pro. Almost all other cable companies allow moves, so it's NOT the program suppliers objecting, and TW is probably just try trying to cover thir butt, so why is TiVo interpreting the NO COPY in the most restrictive way, rather than the spirit of the restriction -- a COPY means there are TWO -- they can make sure there is only one ONE.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Tivo has not created a "move" protocol. Transfer (which leaves a copy on two machines) and stream (which leaves a copy on the first machine) work as designed, but are limited by the protocols set up in the cablecard standards. You may not personally consider something a "copy", but the standards do.

The new stream offerings are meant to get around the various restrictions from the likes of TW, its not clear to me why this would not work in nearly every scenario with the stream-capable boxes. (Amazon downloads apparently will not stream)
So WHY NOT a MOVE protocol???
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
You are missing my point, moving a recording from point A to B within the same residence is NOT A COPY, there are not TWO (TiVo can assure that), and they have not NOT LEFT THE PREMISES.
Tivo's don't "move" Premieres and newer CAN and do stream, and that is acceptable to the providers, so that's a solution to your issue that is in play now.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

Quote:
So WHY NOT a MOVE protocol???
Most likely due to their concentration on streaming, which has more applications, and thus more sales potential, than creating a "move" functionality.

Not saying you would not find it useful, I see now how it could help with upgrades, but it certainly has little of the wow factor of streaming. Plus, if your box was lifetime, you could stream content from it until it died.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
That does not solve the problem of equipment upgrades -- I have 1.5GB on an XL4 that I can't move to a new Roamio Pro. Almost all other cable companies allow moves, so it's NOT the program suppliers objecting, and TW is probably just try trying to cover thir butt, so why is TiVo interpreting the NO COPY in the most restrictive way, rather than the spirit of the restriction -- a COPY means there are TWO -- they can make sure there is only one ONE.
You could ask the same thing about other things that are even more directly under TiVo control (not bound by CableLabs DRM). Why not allow moving your season passes, wishlists, thumbs, settings, etc. to the new TiVo? It could be done but it hasn't.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

In a recent survey I took they mentioned the possibility of being able to move protected recordings to an iPad. Specifically it asked if I would be interested in such a feature even if it meant the original was deleted from the TiVo and the iPad copy could not be moved back. So it seems they are at least considering a move protocol. Although it's not clear if it would also work TiVo to TiVo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
The problem is how TW sets the flags on the recording. It would be illegal for TiVo to do anything else but adhere to what TW designates.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
ajwees41

Quote:
What cable companies allow it? Cox doesn't
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It's pretty simple.

We have been complaining for YEARS for TiVo to make a move protocol, and they still haven't implemented one.
Instead, TiVo keeps browning their noses with the cable companies.
And now that streaming is available with the newer DVRs, I'd say we have a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting a move protocol.
TiVo would rather have you upgrade if you want more functionality.

If it will make you feel better, you can make a request for a move function here:

http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx

... but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
DaveDFW

Quote:
Not the way Cable Labs defines copies. Broadcasts that are flagged 0x02 are allowed one copy only, and simply recording that broadcast on your Tivo constitutes your one allowed copy.

An attempt to "move" your copy to another device has the effect of creating another copy, which isn't allowed by 0x02.

This was a big deal for Tivo users before MRS came along, because your only multi-room viewing option required the use of extra copies, which were forbidden for users with providers like TWC who routinely set 0x02 on everything.

I'd say that because Tivo has implemented MRS which doesn't care about copy protection that they consider their work complete. I doubt we'll ever see a Cable Labs-compliant "move" operation which respects the "copy once" restrictions.
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
csell

There have been a few posts about Tivo not caring because it has other options (MRS). However, they should care because of users like myself and the OP. I have a TivoHD. I want to badly upgrade to the newest Tivo but I am not because I have too many shows on my existing Tivo and they are all copyrighted so I can't move them. So more than likely I will just stay with the TivoHD until it dies. So Tivo is in fact losing out. And a simply Move protocol to take the show from the TivoHD and move it would solve everything. There should be no copyright issue as the copy on the TivoHD would no longer exist and you are still only dealing with one copy.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
There should be no copyright issue as the copy on the TivoHD would no longer exist and you are still only dealing with one copy.
But it's not a copyright issue to TiVo at all. It's a cablecard standards issue, which TiVo has no choice about obeying. The cablecard standards do not allow a show to be moved in their present form.

To change this, you need to write to the controllers of CableLabs (ie, Comcast, TimeWarner, etc) and ask them to change the certification procedure for devices which contain cablecards.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
But it's not a copyright issue to TiVo at all. It's a cablecard standards issue, which TiVo has no choice about obeying. The cablecard standards do not allow a show to be moved in their present form.

To change this, you need to write to the controllers of CableLabs (ie, Comcast, TimeWarner, etc) and ask them to change the certification procedure for devices which contain cablecards.
Actually there is a loophole in the standard that would allow a protected show to be moved provided it is never accessible on two devices at once. The CCI byte prevents the device from creating another copy of the show, it does not specifically prohibit moving the copy you have to another authorized device. It's similar to the streaming loophole. There is no specific rule that allows streaming, but they can do it because they're not technically creating a second copy of the show they're simply playing the original copy in a secondary location.

This is all sort of a gray area and really we wont know if CableLabs has a problem with it until someone like TiVo tries to get away with it and sees how they respond.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Actually there is a loophole in the standard that would allow a protected show to be moved provided it is never accessible on two devices at once. The CCI byte prevents the device from creating another copy of the show, it does not specifically prohibit moving the copy you have to another authorized device. It's similar to the streaming loophole. There is no specific rule that allows streaming, but they can do it because they're not technically creating a second copy of the show they're simply playing the original copy in a secondary location.

This is all sort of a gray area and really we wont know if CableLabs has a problem with it until someone like TiVo tries to get away with it and sees how they respond.
My understanding is the CCI standard has the "loophole" as you state, but the cablecard regulations only allow transfers through approved methods, and CableLabs has never established any approved methods for "moving" a protected show. It looked like they were opening the door for a firewire method that did this and other things, but then never followed through on it. So until they establish an approved method, any device that allows "moving" is automatically not compliant.

I agree that Cablelabs has the power to change their certification process and accept a "moving" process - the FCC CCI standard is not a problem. But they don't have any incentive to at this point - cablecards are not the solution of the future.

I last looked into this in detail 5-6 years ago, so they might have changed things, but I think someone would have brought that up here if they had.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
jrtroo
User

Quote:
And a simpl[e] Move protocol to take the show from the TivoHD and move it would solve everything.
While the protocol is easy to describe, if it were easy to implement it would have been done previously.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
There have been a few posts about Tivo not caring because it has other options (MRS). However, they should care because of users like myself and the OP. I have a TivoHD. I want to badly upgrade to the newest Tivo but I am not because I have too many shows on my existing Tivo and they are all copyrighted so I can't move them. So more than likely I will just stay with the TivoHD until it dies. So Tivo is in fact losing out. And a simply Move protocol to take the show from the TivoHD and move it would solve everything. There should be no copyright issue as the copy on the TivoHD would no longer exist and you are still only dealing with one copy.
1) You are probably such a small subset of TiVo users, that they really can't spend any time trying to make you happy. Seriously, how many users of old generation TiVos (at least 2 gens old) that have copy-protected shows that they HAVE to move to a new TiVo or they won't buy a new one so you miss out on my sale. Say that real fast and you'll realize there are so few of you...

2) Problem solved with new gen TiVos. Stream. That's the answer.

You can whine all you want, but your problem doesn't even EXIST in TiVo's universe. So you are asking them to answer a question that in their eyes doesn't get asked.

Get over it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
1) You are probably such a small subset of TiVo users, that they really can't spend any time trying to make you happy. Seriously, how many users of old generation TiVos (at least 2 gens old) that have copy-protected shows that they HAVE to move to a new TiVo or they won't buy a new one so you miss out on my sale. Say that real fast and you'll realize there are so few of you...

2) Problem solved with new gen TiVos. Stream. That's the answer.

You can whine all you want, but your problem doesn't even EXIST in TiVo's universe. So you are asking them to answer a question that in their eyes doesn't get asked.

Get over it.
Your pomposity is very hard to "get over". You'll expect us to listen patiently when your ox is gored.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Your pomposity is very hard to "get over". You'll expect us to listen patiently when your ox is gored.
Except for the fact that's he's right on the money, your hardware is old enough that Tivo has pretty much written off its support as a lost cause.

While we all think it'd be nice and upstanding for Tivo to support ancient hardware, it's not in their business interests to do so, I'd lay good money that it's worth losing you as a customer to them if they can get a new Roamio user, that's the way business works when you're barely scraping by.

For me? I buy new Tivo hardware pretty much every generation and then sell the old for the cost of lifetime, it's a win-win for me and Tivo.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #24
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Except for the fact that's he's right on the money, your hardware is old enough that Tivo has pretty much written off its support as a lost cause.

While we all think it'd be nice and upstanding for Tivo to support ancient hardware, it's not in their business interests to do so, I'd lay good money that it's worth losing you as a customer to them if they can get a new Roamio user, that's the way business works when you're barely scraping by.

For me? I buy new Tivo hardware pretty much every generation and then sell the old for the cost of lifetime, it's a win-win for me and Tivo.
And you "sell the old" how, with gigs of stuff on it you haven't watched yet. . . ?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Just set the new TiVo to record the same show, or download whatever this precious recording is from BitTorrent or whatever. This is a lot of whining about nothing. Eventually, your hard drive will fail and you'll lose that show anyway.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #26
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
And you "sell the old" how, with gigs of stuff on it you haven't watched yet. . . ?
Within a month or so it's watched or has been recorded by the new Tivo from a new source. If a series or movie is that important to hold up a Tivo Sale then I'll have bought it on DVD/BR or have another way to watch it.

I'm not a TWC customer, but what's on an old Tivo has never stopped me from getting rid of it.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #27
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Nope, not me. I do a Clear & Delete before I sell. So what if I lose the shows that I couldn't move. It's only TV.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #28
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

One can be right, yet diplomatic about asserting one's opinion.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
One can be right, yet diplomatic about asserting one's opinion.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
atmuscarella

Quote:
I am in that situation now. 3 TiVos (Series 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere) with 5.25TBs of combined storage that is 99% full. I don't need any of them anymore and really don't know what I am going to do. I should sell all three as they have lifetime and are all in very good condition. None of my content is protected so I could move it all but do I really want to spend several hundred dollars buying hard drives for my computer to do so? Hard to answer.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote