Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #61
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
B) I don't give much credence to anyone who would have had the utterly ludicrous opinion that the Beatles were "the beginning of the downfall of western civilization."
Of course not. It started to fall the other week after Miley Cyrus twerked in live TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #62
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

No, Elvis Presley was the beginning of the downfall of Western civilization.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #63
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I really, really wish they would mute the audience during the In Memoriams.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #64
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
A) Don Cheadle didn't write that. He just read the teleprompter.
B) I don't give much credence to anyone who would have had the utterly ludicrous opinion that the Beatles were "the beginning of the downfall of western civilization."
I know he didn't write it. And of course it is a ludicrous opinion, but many people at that time thought rock and roll was evil and the Devil's music. My point being, and maybe I did not say it well, was that of the 73 million viewers, maybe one-third liked what they saw. So that's something like 10% of the population. This was not some national turning point, it's a historical cliche with no basis in fact. Even among people who liked rock and roll, they didn't all like the Beatles and many hated them

Last edited by Mabes : 09-22-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #65
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabes View Post
I know he didn't write it. And of course it is a ludicrous opinion, but many people at that time thought rock and roll was evil and the Devil's music. My point being, and maybe I did not say it well, was that of the 73 million viewers, maybe one-third liked what they saw. So that's something like 10% of the population. This was not some national turning point, it's a historical cliche with no basis in fact. Even among people who liked rock and roll, they didn't all like the Beatles and many hated them
Whether it's myth or not, I'm not sure that makes him an idiot for quoting what a LOT of people believe.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #66
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Oh my gosh, Michael Douglas's acceptance for "Behind the Candelabra" was-- I can't even -- did he really say that?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #67
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

That Audi commercial with Claire Danes -- I can't even -- what the heck?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #68
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

that gets a big hand from me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #69
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Modern Family again? Are a lot of these awards (like Jeff Daniels and this one) because the top choices split votes?

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #70
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Yeah Bitch!!

Breaking Bad..

Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #71
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Modern Family again? Are a lot of these awards (like Jeff Daniels and this one) because the top choices split votes?
Yeah,you thought also. It's not the first time that has happened.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #72
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
No, Elvis Presley was the beginning of the downfall of Western civilization.
Hmmmm, I thought it started in 1492.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #73
MacThor
Not Pictured

I assume Breaking Bad will be eligible again next year, at least for season 5B. I was pulling for Jonathan Banks last night.

Too many "In Memoriams" last night. The kid from Glee gets "equal death billing" to James ***** Gandolfini? Seriously?
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #74
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Didn't see the show, but there's also the people who were not included. Jack Klugman for example.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #75
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post
Didn't see the show, but there's also the people who were not included. Jack Klugman for example.
And Larry Hagman!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #76
Thom

And Charles Durning.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #77
MacThor
Not Pictured

The still did a montage that included the three listed above; however, one could (should) argue all three were more impactful on TV than Monteith.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #78
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
The still did a montage that included the three listed above; however, one could (should) argue all three were more impactful on TV than Monteith.
Agree, but they have to get Gen Y (or whatever they call self absorbed teens and 20 somethings these days). Think any of them have heard of Jack Klugman or Charles Durning? Of course I never heard of Monteith until they said which character he played on Glee, which I've seen a couple of times.

All in all, I think the Emmys were more boring than usual, and that says something. I'm not an awards show person, but wife was watching and I was doing other things, so it was on. Usually I only watch the Oscars.

I was really glad for MF, and I'm glad broadcast TV can still win something. Was hoping GoT would win best drama, but I knew better. That show is too "out there" to actually win.

To me the best moment was the woman who won supporting actress for Nurse Jackie. I don't think she had ANY idea she was going to win

While I like The Newsroom a WHOLE LOT better than Breaking Bad and a couple of others, Jeff Daniels did not deserve best actor. In fact, I thought he wasn't even as good as last year, and was terrible playing a love interest.

Oh, and the one true robbery was best actress because the best actress this season wasn't even nominated. Tatiana Maslany for Orphan Black. In fact, I think Keri Russell in The Americans was better than any of the ones nominated too.

Oh, and did we need the "song in the middle of the show" or whatever it was called? I went and prepared my lunch for today while that was on.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #79
DeDondeEs

I really didn't like the way they interspersed the eulogies throughout the show. I thought the people who spoke said really nice things. But with the way the show played out reminded me of the Jerry Lewis Telethon, where they would alternate between something fun and entertaining then have some part to pull at your heart strings.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #80
dtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Happy to see a win for Breaking Bad. I know most people don't seem to like Anna Gunn or Skyler. But a win for the show is a win for the show.
I wonder if this the first time that someone won an award for a show that is broadcasting AT THE SAME time as the Award Show.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #81
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
I wonder if this the first time that someone won an award for a show that is broadcasting AT THE SAME time as the Award Show.
I wondered that too. When Anna Gunn made her acceptance speech I half expected her to say something along the lines of the fans of the show not watching her speech because they were all watching Granite State.

Considering the Sopranos and Mad Men were also Sunday night shows, it probably wasn't the first time it happened.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #82
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
doubt it. There's been shows on Sunday nights since when, 1947?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #83
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I missed the start of the show, but since they aired it twice on the West Coast, I just kept watching until they got to the part where I cam in.

Which made the joke at the beginning of the show about how the show was running 24 minutes over twice as funny.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #84
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
doubt it. There's been shows on Sunday nights since when, 1947?
Ah, but notice when the Emmys are broadcast. Right before the start of the traditional television season. I would guess that for many many many years there were no competing new shows on the night of the Emmys. Along with that, I would guess that a lot of the cable shows purposefully programmed around the Emmys as well.

So I'm guessing it hasn't happened that often.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #85
gweempose

It seems to me that there is something fundamentally wrong when they have all this filler throughout the show, and yet they are rushing the winners off the stage and not even giving them time to finish their acceptance speeches.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #86
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
It seems to me that there is something fundamentally wrong when they have all this filler throughout the show, and yet they are rushing the winners off the stage and not even giving them time to finish their acceptance speeches.
I totally agree.

There were a lot of winners I would have enjoyed hearing more from - it seemed like the music rushed them off after less than a minute.

But we had songs that had nothing to do with Emmy night taking up time.

And I would have loved to have heard more from Bob Newhart.

And those tributes were nice, but they really brought the mood down.

And no Jack Klugman???? Oscar (named after one of my favorite TV characters of all time) and I were VERY disappointed...
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #87
JohnB1000

Vince Gill said that these Emmy's cover the 2012 Breaking Bad, which was less memorable, so there is still hope for next year (for the actors).
Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #88
tonestert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Yes I noticed that too. They did not give them much time at all. I usually don't watch these award shows (but recorded since I now have 6 tuners, yeah Roamio) so was that normal ?

Was it just me or did they zoom in way too much on the pictures for Memoriams ? The top of everyone's heads were cut off.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #89
astrohip
Stuart F

Random thoughts:

* Boring broadcast. I love NPH, but he did not knock me out this year. I liked the intro, very cool having past hosts. But I miss the rapier wit of year's past.

* Waaay too much song, dance, and song & dance. What is this, the Tony's? Luckily we watched the entire night from the DVR, so we could ziiiip thru it.

* Also love Sir Elton, but that had zero appeal, and no reason to be. Yeah, I know the Liberace connection, but come on. No reason for this.

* Merrit Wever! Yes! Love her character, love her.

* Yay for Veep! And it's winners.

* Bobby Cannavale? Not the most deserving of that group.

* Jeff Daniels? Again, far more deserving actors.

* While I love Modern Family, it seems more like a safe bet for the Emmy's, versus other shows that were, IMHO, funnier, more deserving, and certainly more innovative. Same with Jim Parsons. Try Louis, for example.

* Breaking Bad was a good call in a tough category. Mad Men was also deserving.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #90
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post

Vince Gill said that these Emmy's cover the 2012 Breaking Bad, which was less memorable, so there is still hope for next year (for the actors).
I'd say Bryan Cranston is a lock next year. He should win the Emmy for that phone call scene alone.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote