TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Mauimanakai

Smile Replaced hard drive on series 2 but now getting so3

Hi, we have the series 2, TCE540040, and we replaced hard drive with a brand new one from the same model tivo. After it dials up during the setup process, it gets to the download phase and within ten seconds, it disconnects. It says "failed, call disconnected." We've tried this dozens of times.mBtw, We do not have call waiting. We've called tivo and they are not much help....I hope u guys can help. We r ready to throw the poor tivo out the window.lol. And then I will go out too, because these tivo withdrawals are not fun. Ty so much!
Mauimanakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Did you do a C&DE after you replaced the drive? Or are you not able to get past setup? If that's the case, what about running guided setup in the TiVo the drive came from, and then move it and do a C&DE?
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Mauimanakai

Ty so much for taking the time to help us....we r going to try that right now...this site is great....so much more helpful than tivo themselves! Will let u know how it works...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I replaced my TCD540080's drive with a 1TB and have not used the phone for the connections during guided setup, only my network.

Error s03 usually mean corrupted data during download. You might try to reboot before setup again.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Mauimanakai

It didn't work.... Now we are wondering if its a problem with our phone line? Ty, so much. I'm going to call cox cable, who our phone is with and see what they have to say....
Old 08-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Mauimanakai

Hi thabto, ty, unfortunately, we can't use our computer during setup because we have a series 2...
Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It will work with a network using a wired network adapter or a Tivo Wireless network adapter.

Do you have a router? That is needed to connect several devices to your network and internet.
It sounds like you only have a high speed modem such as DSL/Cable connected to your computer and that limits connection to only your computer, where as, a router will all many devices to connect to the internet and also allows connection between computer and Tivo and the internet.

A wireless router is needed if you were to use any wireless connections with another wireless adapter to computer or Tivo or other devices.

The router (as well as other network adapters) can be bought at an electronics store such as Best Buy. Connecting a router is simple. Your DSL/Cable modem must be turned off first. Remove the cable from the computer end and connect to the router's WAN (sometimes labeled Internet) port. Connect your computer to a LAN port, there usually is 4 ports, may be labeled 1-4. Use #1. Tivo can use #2 if wired connection to a wired Network adapter which then connects to the Tivo's USB port.
After all the connections are made, you can turn on the DSL/Cable modem and wait until the lights stop flashing and say on solid. Repeat to turn on the router, Tivo and Computers. Tivo may need Guided setup ran to setup for the Network.

Added feature when you use Network with Tivo, faster Guide data downloads without the need for a phone line, ability to download recordings to computer, video downloads to Tivo from podcasts, Amazon video. and maybe more features.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 08-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Mauimanakai

For the first setup you may not use wireless according to the manual,and, also, the basic setup doesn't allow any other option other than the phone line. That is what we wanted to originally use.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimanakai View Post
For the first setup you may not use wireless according to the manual,and, also, the basic setup doesn't allow any other option other than the phone line. That is what we wanted to originally use.
It may be true for earlier Tivo software versions, but not with v9+.

I have used entirely on wireless from Guided setup to normal guide data and downloads. I used a virgin drive image to upgrade to the now 1 TB drive and the original was never used to make image.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Mauimanakai

Really? How? It doesn't come up on the screen as an option to use wireless...it says connect by phone and then asks for all our dial up info. We really appreciate your help. This is so frustrating...
Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Well, if its not in Guided setup, it would be under Phone & network menu under the Settings Menu.

There should be a "Use Network Instead" option there. This should change to "Use Phone Instead" if Network is selected.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Well, if its not in Guided setup, it would be under Phone & network menu under the Settings Menu.

There should be a "Use Network Instead" option there. This should change to "Use Phone Instead" if Network is selected.
If you can't get there until you complete guided setup, there is an undocumented method to enable network connections. If your TiVo connected to the network via a supported network adapter,

Enter the following in the dial prefix field:

,#401

That’s PAUSE (to create the comma) then ENTER (to create the #) then the numbers 401. There should be no spaces between all the characters. Press SELECT when you’re done.

I have a couple of TiVo 2s that have never been connected to a phone line.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
Mauimanakai

Thabto and ibwcomp, ty so much for your feedback and help...
Today was very frustrating with hours of trying to get it going, so we r going to wait til after work tomorrow to try again and see if the ,#401 works...
We really, really appreciate you guys on here to help us!
Ty again!
Will let u know how it goes....
Old 09-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Mauimanakai

Ugh...not working. Saying "phone line not detected"
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Ugh...not working. Saying "phone line not detected"
You would need to select on "Use Network Instead" and if you are using Tivo Wireless adapter, go through the wireless settings.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
It didn't work.... Now we are wondering if its a problem with our phone line? Ty, so much. I'm going to call cox cable, who our phone is with and see what they have to say....
If you're getting your phone from your cable company, then it's not a "real" phone, and that may contribute to the problem.

Do you have some sort of networking adapter, wired or wireless, plugged into one of the USB ports of the back of that 540?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I just put a new hard drive in my parent's old 540040 S2 using the TiVo Wireless G adapter and it went through guided setup using wifi with no problems. A phone line was never used with this TiVo either since I did the initial guided setup on it in 2004 with a Dlink DSB-650TX wired USB ethernet adapter.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
lpwcomp

I missed the fact that you are trying to use a wireless connection. I am not sure the backdoor solution I posted will work for wireless.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Since you are seemingly not even being presented with the option of using a network connection, it sounds as if the TiVo is not detecting the wireless adapter. Have you tried re-seating it, possibly even switching to the other USB slot and power cycling the TiVo? Are there any indicator lights on the adapter and are they lit as they are supposed to be?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
mdscott

If you have local friends with a "real" phone -- not provided by cable provider -- and a TV with the appropriate AV input you can take the S2 TiVo to their house; run Guided Setup using phone; take it back to your home and switch to network/wireless there.

michael
Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I missed the fact that you are trying to use a wireless connection. I am not sure the backdoor solution I posted will work for wireless.
You'll notice that so far Mauimanakai has not come right out and said that they do indeed possess or not possess some sort of networking adapter that plugs into a USB port, so they may be operating beyond the limits of their technical knowledge, like expecting the TiVo's phone jack to be able to connect to the internet via their "internet phone" service from their cable company.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
According to the manual? That was before Tivo version 9.0x that you had to use the phone for the setup. The image for the 540 is at v9.3.2b and I have even used it and never used the phone, only the Tivo Wireless adapter.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You'll notice that so far Mauimanakai has not come right out and said that they do indeed possess or not possess some sort of networking adapter that plugs into a USB port, so they may be operating beyond the limits of their technical knowledge, like expecting the TiVo's phone jack to be able to connect to the internet via their "internet phone" service from their cable company.
That possibility occurred to me.

When I googled the problem, I found a thread in the weaKnees forum that is germane (TiVo modem over cable voice) but the TCF will not let me post the URL. Part of it gets "blanked" (actually, replaced by a string of *). Anyone know why this would be so?

Regardless, the proposed solution was to set
Code:
,#319
or
Code:
,#396
as a dial prefix which I assume changes the baud rate to 19200 and 9600 respectively and to try different phone numbers until you find one that works, preferably at 19200.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 09-08-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
Mauimanakai

Ty all! We gave up! �� Appreciate your help...our lifetime tivo membership is toast..��ty...
Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
unitron

Quote:
Ty all! We gave up! �� Appreciate your help...our lifetime tivo membership is toast..��ty...
do not discard the hardware yet.

The chip with the number to which lifetime is tied can be moved to another 540 motherboard.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #26
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That possibility occurred to me.

When I googled the problem, I found a thread in the weaKnees forum that is germane (TiVo modem over cable voice) but the TCF will not let me post the URL. Part of it gets "blanked" (actually, replaced by a string of *). Anyone know why this would be so?

Regardless, the proposed solution was to set
Code:
,#319
or
Code:
,#396
as a dial prefix which I assume changes the baud rate to 19200 and 9600 respectively and to try different phone numbers until you find one that works, preferably at 19200.
,#3xx tells the TiVo to use an external modem connected to the serial port jack on the back that was supposedly for controlling cable boxes and sat. receivers controllable via serial port.

The xx part is the modem speed setting.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
,#3xx tells the TiVo to use an external modem connected to the serial port jack on the back that was supposedly for controlling cable boxes and sat. receivers controllable via serial port.

The xx part is the modem speed setting.
So it does. My mistake. I did just find this post that indicates that ,#034 or ,$019 slow down the internal modem to v.34 (28.8) or 19.2 respectively.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
True Colors

Quote:
Hi, we have the series 2, TCE540040, and we replaced hard drive with a brand new one from the same model tivo.
I think that this may be the source of the problem.

If you have a drive in one Tivo, then it is configured to support that Tivo. That includes the favorites, guide information and other sorts of things.

One suggestion...... take the larger hard drive and put it back into the original Tivo. Boot it up, then go into the settings, and run a "clear and delete everything." Then take the hard drive out and put it into your new Tivo. Then try to run the guided setup and see what happens.

Good luck.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
One thing, it is lifetime Tivo Service and it is not stored on the Tivo hard drive. It is stored in your Tivo.com account and is linked to the Tivo service number of your Tivo.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~