TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
rijowysock

Question Moving with a tivo...

im curently in florida with tivo premiere and bright house networks (time warner cable company)

moving to ohio and getting time warner cable.

will the tivo check the channel names and convert my recordings or will i have to go one by one thru them and change the recording channel number?

any tips/tricks for moving and a change of channel lineup?

also.... are there any deals for lifetime? or deals with new tivo's+lifetime? my yearly 129 comes up in november and i've heard of people getting 100-200$ lifetime.. and some word with an R mentioned.. roameo? roamsomething..

would love any help/tips/tricks.
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
rijowysock

havent been on here in while, i guess roamio is the new box.. 4 tuners...

is there a lifetime discount coming from premiere going to a base roamio? i have external harddrive on the premeire and assume i could use on roamio?

this might be better choice since my premiere is old and probably worthless now.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
havent been on here in while, i guess roamio is the new box.. 4 tuners...

is there a lifetime discount coming from premiere going to a base roamio? i have external harddrive on the premeire and assume i could use on roamio?

this might be better choice since my premiere is old and probably worthless now.
You can't move the external from your Premiere to any other TiVo, even another Premiere, and have the recordings on there survive and be accessible on the new unit.

When you hook an external to a TiVo, it spreads all recordings after that across both drives, the internal and the external, so that the entire recording isn't on only one of them.

Apparently it's something they had to do to keep the content providers from screaming and dragging them into court, because content providers don't use their brains, just their lungs.

If you don't mind losing all of the stuff you've recorded since adding the external to the Premiere, then it is re-usable on some other TiVo where you'll still have the same limitations.

Much better to upgrade the internal drive with a bigger one.

There are threads around here about how to do that.

Your Premiere will probably work just as well in Ohio as it does in Florida, although I don't know if TWC will be better or worse in one location than in the other.

You should plan on turning in your cable cards and getting new ones after you move, since they need to be compatible with the head end equipment where you are, and that might not be the same equipment as it was where your were, and TWC probably doesn't have a procedure for transferring the cards from the books of one of their local operations to the books of another, and you could wind up with twin cable bills from the hot bad place with dual hockeysticks in the name.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

As far as I know, you should be able to just redo guided setup when you get to your new location and your season passes will automatically convert over to the new system.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
As far as I know, you should be able to just redo guided setup when you get to your new location and your season passes will automatically convert over to the new system.

It should work that way with the exception of local channels. The OP will have new local channels so SPs on those channels will need to be re-done.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
gigaguy

If you buy a any Roamio, Tivo is now offering lifetime on 3 year old Premieres for $99, and $199 on one yr old Premieres.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
rijowysock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

How do I do this. My recordings are trying to record CSI on BET. Lol
Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
MeInDallas

Tivo Central > Settings & Messages > Restart or Reset System > Repeat Guided Setup
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote