TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

PYtivo can't access shares

Hello, I've been using pyTiVo with no problems until lately.

Some background, I'm running it on Windows XP and storing the shares on network attached storage.

When I launch it, a DOS window show up like this:

As far as I know, this is normal.

I use the URL http://localhost:9032/, in google chrome, version 29.0.1547.75 (which I'm told is the up to date version), to show a screen that lists my TiVos and share names. That works fine too. And if I click on a TiVo, it shows me the Now Playing list of that TiVo with no problem. The problem is if I click on a Share to show what's in the share. That used to work. But now I get a screen that says: "No data receive", like this:

I've tried restarting pyTiVo through the 9032 screen... I've tried closing it down and restarting from scratch, and I've tried rebooting the whole computer, and also rebooting the router, but nothing seems to cure my problem. Does anybody any other ideas I might try?

Oh, the first thing I thought was that maybe I'm not logged on to my NAS, but I am, and in fact, I can view the share folders via Windows Explorer with no problem, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the NAS or Windows XP's connection to it.

Also, Google Chrome seems to work just fine for me when I use it to surf the internet, so I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong with my browser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Hard to believe a message saying ffmpeg can't be found is a good sign, or was ever normal. Better check into that issue.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

That window you posted a screen shot of, above, should have a lot of additional messages as you use pyTivo. Specifically, you should see an error message related to that failed page load.

And no, "Bad ffmpeg path" is not a normal message, although I don't think it can be the cause of the failed page load.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
timckelley
TCFer

Okay, it looks like the missing ffmpeg path is really a nonexistent path. I'm not sure how that happened, as I'm pretty sure I didn't customize that part of the config file. Here's a screen shot of the subtree where pyTiVo is installed:

I searched and found ffmpeg.exe in my kmttg subtree, as I also have that program installed. So out of curiosity I tried changing my pyTiVoconfig file to point there for the ffmpeg.exe file, and I restarted pyTiVo. Now my black DOS screen looks like this:

Which seems nicer looking. But as wmcbrine predicted, the problem with the shares remains.

And no matter which share I try to click on, no additional messages show up in the black DOS window.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 09-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Then, my best guess is that the instance of pyTivo represented by that command window is not the instance you're connecting to on port 9032 -- you have another pyTivo running in the background, probably at startup.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Then, my best guess is that the instance of pyTivo represented by that command window is not the instance you're connecting to on port 9032 -- you have another pyTivo running in the background, probably at startup.
Based on what you said, I ran msconfig to see what automatically starts up, and I eliminated some things I realize I don't need to start up, but among all that stuff I eliminated, I saw on the services tab of msconfig: pyTiVo, manufacturer unknown. I thought I'd try unchecking that and rebooted, and Voila: when I launch pyTiVo like I always do, now the localhost:9032 screen functions correctly (i.e. I can get to my shares from that screen now.)

So I think my problem is solved now. I don't know how it got broken, because I haven't been installing any software on this machine lately or anything, but I think your suggestion steered me in the right direction, leading to my solution, so I definitely thank you for that.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
timckelley
TCFer

By the way, this problem only briefly remained solved, and I entered a new problem where transfers would get stuck in the initiating phase with an error in the log saying something like ERROR 401, if I remember clearly. I thought I'd post the aftermath of all I ran into at this point.

I posted my new problem on the pyTiVo forum, and I wound up eventually reinstalling pyTiVo, but still the problem remained. (But I'm glad I reinstalled pyTiVo, because of new features in it I can use.) Then it suddenly occurred to me to try to transfer a show from TiVo to TiVo, totally bypassing pyTiVo, just to see if that worked. It did not, and there I got a message that the show has been queued and will transfer after previously scheduled transfers have completed. (This does sound analagous to what was happening in pyTiVo where I was stuck in the initiating phase.)

Since there were no scheduled transfers, I figured thing to do was to reboot one or more TiVos. My wife then admitted to me, that she's been trying to transfer things in all directions between her 3 TiVos, so I rebooted all 3. That did the trick. All transfers work now, including those initated by pyTiVo, so everything is dandy in my house now.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc