TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
dmarzo2

Roamio Plus and Stream

Just gathering thoughts/opinions and advice

I just upgraded to a Roamio Plus today - after some hassle with Fios (and getting them to pair it properly), I think the Roamio is awesome. I am having some issues however with the built-in Stream. Here are my specifics:

- I have Verizon Fios and a Roamio Plus. Plus is using moca (built in) for internet feed

- I had a standalone Stream that I removed from the network because I understand there is no need for it given that I have Roamio built-in Stream (although happy to put it back on if the redundancy helps? Thoughts on this?)

- I can stream shows to my IPAD just fine - seems to work well

- I run into issues with IPAD downloading - the app seems to pause, time-out, lose connection to the Stream. If I am downloading a show, I have to click to reconnect the download process and this has happened multiple times for a single download

- I re-installed the TIVO app several times. I re-booted the Verizon Fios router but continued to receive download stoppage issues

- My last ditch effort has been to power off the router; power off the Roamio; unscrew the coax's to each; re-power the router; wait for internet to come on-line; re-power the TIVO. I am now downloading a 1.09G movie. At this point, I am keeping my fingers crossed as it has not paused out (yet)....but while I wait, I figured I would see if anyone has other ideas or recommendations?

Bottom line: Two questions really: 1) Any benefit of redundancy from keeping a TIVO stream standalone on a network that has a Roamio with integrated Stream?; and 2) any good tips for avoiding download errors when downloading shows to IPAD? (By the way, I did a port test and it checked out okay - so I think I have access to the required ports

I am very appreciative of these forums and the great help I get from here
dmarzo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Is the Verizon router also the wifi access point? Or do you have a separate wifi AP?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
dmarzo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Is the Verizon router also the wifi access point? Or do you have a separate wifi AP?
It is an all in one router and wifi access
Old 09-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... You could try connecting the standalone Stream and see if that has the same problem. That's at least tell you if it's a problem with the internal Stream or something else. You can select which Stream to use in the TiVo app via the little gear icon.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
dmarzo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Hmmm... You could try connecting the standalone Stream and see if that has the same problem. That's at least tell you if it's a problem with the internal Stream or something else. You can select which Stream to use in the TiVo app via the little gear icon.
Dan....thanks. I initially had the same issues with my standalone stream and it started working after my restart. It looks like my simultaneous reset of my router and tivo box may be the trick. I am 2 for 2 on downloads without a hitch

Appreciate your thoughts and time!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarzo2 View Post
I had a standalone Stream that I removed from the network because I understand there is no need for it given that I have Roamio built-in Stream (although happy to put it back on if the redundancy helps? Thoughts on this?)
Theoretically you don't need the standalone Stream. But I think someone has commented that his Roamio (Plus or Pro) runs hotter when streaming. If that is indeed the case, you could keep a bit of extra heat out of your main unit by using the standalone Stream.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote