Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 10/8/2013 (S01E03) "The Asset"

So... uh, just like that the big plane is flying again? Apparently mostly on autopilot since the entire crew seems to be able to get together for the important pow-wow's where they plan who gets to go on the mission?

On the plus side, the truck driver was playing with pretty cool tech as he was looking for alternate routes. Considering he looked like, well, like a cousin of Larry the Cable Guy, the tech was unexpected.

The e-vite to get into the shareholder meeting was telegraphed from miles away. I kind of wish they'd have done the trained monkey that the wonder-twin was pushing for.

Ah well, back to watching the show for now.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

Last edited by terpfan1980 : 10-09-2013 at 06:13 PM.
terpfan1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not sure what I think after watching the rest of the episode. I guess it was OK by me, but it was still more predictable than I'd hoped it would be.

I did enjoy the dig at Siri though
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm still not feeling it.

I mean, it's fun, in an updated-80s-goofy action-show sort of way, but I was hoping for so much more. I knew it could never live up to The Avengers, but a show that is set in the same universe as The Avengers should at least feel like it's set in the same universe as The Avengers. This is more like it's set in a universe much like ours, only with a much lower budget, where The Avengers was a cheesy 80s action show and this is an updated remake, only instead of going the modernizing route, they went the ironic route.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say, but I feel very strongly about it.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
I'm not sure what I think after watching the rest of the episode. I guess it was OK by me, but it was still more predictable than I'd hoped it would be.

That kinda sums up my feelings as well. Not sure what to make of the series as a whole, but I guess it's ok. But they really have to do something about the predictability level, so many things are being telegraphed so far in advance, it's ridiculous.

It's one thing when something important that happens later in an episode can be traced back to something little that happens earlier in the episode. It's another when the subtle setup is so obvious that you just spend the rest of the episode waiting for it to happen...

And I couldn't help but feel that this week, someone had a neat idea. Let's build a set in a shipping container, put it on a rotatable axis, and... umm... write a story that fits around that idea...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
caslu

Introducing... Graviton, first new character from the Marvel comics.

Agree with others that it's just okay, should be much better given the pedigree... but it's good enough to keep me watching.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I think there are a couple of issues going on here.

The first is obvious: a major culture shift going from one of the biggest budgeted blockbusters in recent history to a TV show with a matching budget.

The second can be summarized in four words: ordinary people, extraordinary universe. As far as we can tell, most if not all of our main characters are nothing more than ordinary people, and it's hard to care about the ordinary people in a universe populated by people with supernatural abilities, not to mention god-like beings.

The third is more from a production aspect. I think we TV viewers have come to expect a little "grit" in our TV shows, shows that are a little darker, characters with shades of grey, and plot development on multiple layers. From a visual aspect, we're used to shows that look and feel more "realistic," sometimes hyper-realistic. Right now, this show really doesn't have any of that going for it. It doesn't have "grit." Everything feels a little too clean, and frankly, a little one-dimensional.

In the end, the show is entertaining, but not compelling. It is just OK, when it could have been more. It's enough to keep me watching, but it isn't must-see TV.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I'm enjoying this, but then I'm fairly easy to please.

The second Franklin Hall was sucked into the gravitonium ball, I knew he was going to become Graviton, who is not a new villain because Jim Shooter created him in 1977.

Also, Skye in that red dress is very pleasing to the eye -- and that's before she got it soaked in the pool. If I were only 20 years younger and 20 times hunkier...

The fact that Coulson's "muscle memory" seems to be missing? C'mon, they couldn't hit you harder over the head with that clue if they tried.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't really care about any of the characters... not even to the point where there's even a character I'd like to see go away. Nada. No emotional connection, pro or con, to anyone. I can't really even point to one and say there's some possibility of development that might make them endearing where I might actually care if they lived or died. I'm not sure where the story is going or why it might be going any particular place. I'm not really sure there's supposed to be some sort of overall arc story or if we've just got another A-Team show of the week. Maybe I'm supposed to know some comic book lore crap to understand something, but frankly I'd never even heard of SHIELD before those silly post-Marvel-movie bits. But so far, if this show disappeared today, I wouldn't care one bit. There's nothing about it that's interesting, compelling, or draws me to it. I watch it because it's in my Now Playing list on my DVR. I suspect unless something changes in about 2 more episodes, it won't be there anymore.

There's nothing about this that says there's any budget moreso than any other show produced these days. Maybe they spent it all on cool production equipment so there'd be some good equipment available on the cheap once this show is canned. Anyway most certainly money is not getting spent on writing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I don't really care about any of the characters... not even to the point where there's even a character I'd like to see go away. Nada. No emotional connection, pro or con, to anyone. I can't really even point to one and say there's some possibility of development that might make them endearing where I might actually care if they lived or died. I'm not sure where the story is going or why it might be going any particular place. I'm not really sure there's supposed to be some sort of overall arc story or if we've just got another A-Team show of the week. Maybe I'm supposed to know some comic book lore crap to understand something, but frankly I'd never even heard of SHIELD before those silly post-Marvel-movie bits. But so far, if this show disappeared today, I wouldn't care one bit. There's nothing about it that's interesting, compelling, or draws me to it. I watch it because it's in my Now Playing list on my DVR. I suspect unless something changes in about 2 more episodes, it won't be there anymore.

There's nothing about this that says there's any budget moreso than any other show produced these days. Maybe they spent it all on cool production equipment so there'd be some good equipment available on the cheap once this show is canned. Anyway most certainly money is not getting spent on writing.
Well, I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but I definitely agree with you for the most part. It seems like just a modern update of the old Batman show from the 60s, with a larger cast.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
jeepair

I could nit pick a few things but the only thing that really bothers me is...

I still can't get over the fact that when whats his name picked up the double barrel shotgun, they played "the racking sound." Really?
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
There's nothing about this that says there's any budget moreso than any other show produced these days.
I would say noticably less. Shows these days, even run-of-the-mill shows, tend to look GOOD. This one doesn't...it looks ordinary.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post

I still can't get over the fact that when whats his name picked up the double barrel shotgun, they played "the racking sound." Really?
Yeah, I caught that too.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought the most interesting part of this episode was whatever the trucker had going on with the heads up display in his truck, and that's not a great sign.

Coulson being unable to rack a slide because he didn't have the muscle memory is ridiculous.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
eddyj

I'm hanging on, but only because I am a sucker for these types of shows. But it has been pretty disappointing so far. Not bad, but not good either. I am really hoping it will get a lot better, but I am not holding my breath.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Could there be any more engines on that plane? Coulson goes on an op wearing a suit? There's a reason that cops wear clip on ties, if they do wear them: so they can't be used against you as a weapon.

This show feels like it would have been right at home on Saturday mornings between Jonny Quest and The Banana Splits.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
billypritchard
Embiggener

I'm liking it okay, but it does have a 'surface' feel to it, which I think is possibly on purpose. The music is so over the top 'actiony comicy' that it strikes me as intentional.

I remind myself as a Whedon fan that

'Angel' was episode 6 of Buffy S1
'Hero' was episode 9 of Angel S1
'Out of Gas' was aired episode 5 of Firefly

Unfortunately I can't remember the striking best early episode of Dollhouse.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I remind myself as a Joss Whedon fan that Joss Whedon isn't making this show
Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post

Hmm. The one where we saw Dushku's ass in a leather thong? That ended up being the highlight of the entire series for me.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

As others have said it's just Meh... It's still got a SP but it's very low on my "I will watch when I get to it" scale. Not one of Josh's best.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Could there beCoulson goes on an op wearing a suit?
I'm actually ok with that as there were going to infiltrate a party where everyone was wearing suits. If only the other agent was wearing a suit or if they both dressed commando, and I'm not talking no underwear.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I deleted my SP. I'll give it another shot maybe after the season is over, if I hear anything good about it.

I mostly feel the same way Rob and Loadstar do.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
Not one of Josh's best.
Clearly not, because there is no Josh involved with this!
Anyone else have problems with Tivo2Go transferring this show yesterday?
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Jagman_sl

Personally, I like the lack of "grit" in the show. I watch TV to have fun and escape from reality, not be reminded about the suckier parts of life. So I hope it continues to be a fun, non-realistic show. Give me Supernatural, Once Upon a Time, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. over any CSI, Law and Order, or doctor show.
Jagman_sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post

That annoys me most every time, gets me wondering: where they running around up till now without a round in the chamber? Or were they launching a shell in to the air just so they can make the sound? So I was pre-annoyed when I heard the sound, only to see the break-open double barrel shotgun.

It'll just have to go on the list along with things like tires squealing on dirt.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
AeneaGames

I found it funny that in this alternate universe Malta is apparently not part of the EU.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
danterner
Not it!

This is definitely on the bubble for me. I'm mostly still watching because it hasn't completely eroded my Whedon/Marvel/Sci-Fi store of pre-existing goodwill, yet. It's getting closer with every episode though.

Was the monkey reference supposed to jokingly imply that Fitz-Simmons are like the Wonder Twins? Or was it just a random monkey reference? Either way, I liked it. It was funny.

Not good was the stupid petulant "are we there yet?" line, which was just too over the top for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #27
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I'm liking it okay, but it does have a 'surface' feel to it, which I think is possibly on purpose. The music is so over the top 'actiony comicy' that it strikes me as intentional.

The very best? Epilogue 1, which only appeared on the DVD. WAY better than anything that happened during the regular show, and Epilogue 2 may have been the best episode of anything Whedon had ever done.

Too bad the rest of Dollhouse wasn't that good.
Also, check out my
series while you are there.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
JohnB1000

Maybe this was already addressed but were there two episodes on 10/1 or is the date wrong. Trying to avoid spoilers at the moment
Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
The very best? Epilogue 1, which only appeared on the DVD. WAY better than anything that happened during the regular show, and Epilogue 2 may have been the best episode of anything Whedon had ever done.

Too bad the rest of Dollhouse wasn't that good.
Epitaph One and Epitaph Two.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
Azlen

One of the few reasons to stick with the show for a bit longer.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote