TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

The Crazy Ones -- "Pilot" S01E01. OAD 9/26/2013

So, Robin Williams is Don Draper.

hmmm..

I actually LIKE Robin Williams. I like his goofy silliness. I mean, it's comedy after all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
BradJW

so was it good?
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I haven't decided yet.

It's at that awkward pilot stage where it could quickly become very good, or very bad, but either way, it hasn't gotten there yet.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I haven't decided yet.

It's at that awkward pilot stage where it could quickly become very good, or very bad, but either way, it hasn't gotten there yet.
yup.

But it wasn't horrible or anything like that, so the SP stays.

Oh, BTW, Sarah Michelle Gellar is still hawt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

I liked it. This is another show I expected not to like, but was pleasantly surprised. Cast had immediate chemistry, and jeez, Robin Williams is just amazing. You never know when he starts riffing if it's scripted or the guy's gone off the deep end. Doesn't matter, pure Crazy gold.

So, for a pilot, I'd give it an A-. But week to week is a different matter. As Rob says, you can't really tell where this show is going. I'll give it a few eps and see where it takes us.

There were two pilots tonight that were better (and different) than a typical sitcom pilot, in that they were actually fun to watch. And both shows left me wondering if they will be long-term survivors or not. This and MJF's new show.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I have it TiVoed, but haven't watched it yet. My question, before I do: is Robin Williams in full-on Robin Williams mode all the time, or does he calm down and actually act? I think I'll pass if he's just doing his normal schtick the entire show.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
So, Robin Williams is Don Draper.

hmmm..

I actually LIKE Robin Williams. I like his goofy silliness. I mean, it's comedy after all.
Yep. That's what I thought. Don Draper/Robin Williams mashup. I mean, Bob Benson....I mean Zach was there. He looks great in present day outfits too!

I enjoyed it. Have it on SP and will see how it goes.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
Eptiger
TiVo N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I liked it. This is another show I expected not to like, but was pleasantly surprised. Cast had immediate chemistry, and jeez, Robin Williams is just amazing. You never know when he starts riffing if it's scripted or the guy's gone off the deep end. Doesn't matter, pure Crazy gold.

So, for a pilot, I'd give it an A-. But week to week is a different matter. As Rob says, you can't really tell where this show is going. I'll give it a few eps and see where it takes us.
+1

This was exactly what I was thinking. I recorded it just out of respect for Robin Williams and SMG and I was shocked at how much fun I had watching it. Really great stuff.

Robin Williams is his over-the-top self, but the reason it works is that the rest of the cast balances him out. SP set.

Elton

Eptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I have it TiVoed, but haven't watched it yet. My question, before I do: is Robin Williams in full-on Robin Williams mode all the time, or does he calm down and actually act? I think I'll pass if he's just doing his normal schtick the entire show.
Well, just one episode so far, but it's a lot of standard Robin Williams schtick. But there was some good standard acting.

If you don't like healthy doses of Robin Williams schtick, this show isn't for you.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
If you don't like healthy doses of Robin Williams schtick, this show isn't for you.
At least it's in character. I think the key to the show's success will be how well they can balance Robin Williams being Robin Williams and, well, everything else. That could prove tricky, since "balance" and "Robin Williams" are two great tastes that don't always go together.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
milo99

i like Robin Williams, but i'm hoping they don't let him do too much schtick. He's proven he can act well, best example being Dead Poets Society, so hopefully it's used only as necessary for the character.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
i like Robin Williams, but i'm hoping they don't let him do too much schtick. He's proven he can act well, best example being Dead Poets Society, so hopefully it's used only as necessary for the character.
Yeah, but he doesn't really NEED to in this role. I mean, the idea is a guy that is silly but has great ideas and makes them work. It;s a comedy. Have fun!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
StacieH
betativowho??

I didn't realize it was a half-hour show until I watched it last night.

A good friend of mine was in the board room scene. She was one of the McDonalds executives. There was Gail O'Grady (the exec who had lines), another actor, and then Alex (the red-head). I visited her in LA recently and she said that her two days on set watching RW was insane.

I liked it, and will keep the SP for now, but I mostly watched it to see Alex.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
This, although last night's episode didn't do that. A little too much Robin Williams the comedian was allowed through for my tastes. The show itself has potential.
TiVo'Brien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
sharkster

I'm hoping to get to this one tonight (so many shows, so little time!). I have high hopes, like others, if they don't let the schtick take over the show. Williams is a great comedian and, IMO, an even better actor. Looking forward to watching so I hope they find a balance that makes the show work.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I actually didn't think there was that much RW schtick. A couple of scenes he went off, but it was still a plotted sitcom, and not a RW comedy half-hour. I thought the mix (schtick versus straight) was well done.

That's part of why I was pleasantly surprised.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Add me to the group that liked it more than expected.

Not being a fan of Williams over the top antics, he seemed to balance it (at least in this episode).
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I liked that Simon decided to take a step back and put Sydney first by changing the company name from Roberts & Roberts to Roberts & Roberts.

I like the show but have little hope for it.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
mattack

Interesting that they used a real brand this week, but next week is a fake (AFAIK) coffee brand.

Somewhat repeating myself -- as much as I hate "regular" advertising (even the funny ads, after seeing them once or twice), using real brands in shows mostly doesn't bother me. This one got slightly to the edge of being annoying with how many times they said McDonalds, but I _do_ appreciate how they could do the 'raunchy' song and still talk about McDonalds. So basically, the product placement is generally fine with me.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I really enjoyed the show so it earned a season pass on my TiVo
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Interesting that they used a real brand this week, but next week is a fake (AFAIK) coffee brand.

Somewhat repeating myself -- as much as I hate "regular" advertising (even the funny ads, after seeing them once or twice), using real brands in shows mostly doesn't bother me. This one got slightly to the edge of being annoying with how many times they said McDonalds, but I _do_ appreciate how they could do the 'raunchy' song and still talk about McDonalds. So basically, the product placement is generally fine with me.
In an interview with Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar in last last week's Entertainment Weekly, SMG said that McDonald's did not pay for placement. And RW said something about the writers being careful about how far they can make fun of the product and still be able to actually talk about the product. Whatever that means.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
TonyD79

I liked it. The schtick worked because it was in character. It earned its season pass.

But I got more of a House of Lies vibe than Mad Men.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
mrdazzo7

I have nothing to add to this conversation other than saying I wish McDonald's did use this fictional agency for their ads... They consistently have the worst advertising out of any major corporation I've ever seen. I would think they would have cleaned house after this debacle but their more recent commercials aren't much better.

http://youtu.be/VTdLzQkkJLQ

I personally can't stand Robin Williams but hire him now!! lol

Ok I'm leaving now.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

The entire show was an ad for McDonalds, is this a new form of product placement? Next week will it be CocaCola or Burger King?
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
The entire show was an ad for McDonalds, is this a new form of product placement? Next week will it be CocaCola or Burger King?
See above, not product placement because it wasn't paid for by McD's. I think the writers just chose a recognizable brand then got approval from McD's to use it.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
It is about an add agency after all.

If they did use actual products every week, as long as it fit the confines of the story it wouldn't bug me one bit,

Also nothing says that every week will be so focused on the ad. They used this to parallel the relationship between father and daughter.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
efilippi

I think I enjoyed this first showing more than any other this season. It was entertainingly funny without going for the big yuks all the time, the characters were generally likeable, and it was strikingly calm. Goldbergs, dads, mom, trophy wife, all seem to be screaming all the time. This one was not like that. Maybe the one-camera setup helped?
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
It is about an add agency after all.

If they did use actual products every week, as long as it fit the confines of the story it wouldn't bug me one bit,

Also nothing says that every week will be so focused on the ad. They used this to parallel the relationship between father and daughter.
This.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Blatant product placement is horrible and jarring. Product placement in a realistic situation is REALISTIC. I think it wouldn't have worked as well if it was some made up product. And as mentioned above, it wasn't purchased by McDonald's, and if it was, the plot about singing about sex probably wouldn't be there.

As an aside, RW mentioning taking SMG to McDonald's when she was 5 immediately made me think of:

Burger King

Not McDonald's, but still.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
I think I enjoyed this first showing more than any other this season. It was entertainingly funny without going for the big yuks all the time, the characters were generally likeable, and it was strikingly calm. Goldbergs, dads, mom, trophy wife, all seem to be screaming all the time. This one was not like that. Maybe the one-camera setup helped?
One camera and no audience, I saw an interview with Williams saying it was much like shooting a movie, no added stress to perform for the audience.