TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Helix "The Reaping" (3/21/14) SPOILERS!

Well. I was surprised that they killed off Miksa/Daniel. Why do people always walk into the lion's den when they know everybody is gonna get kilt and eaten?

Hey, Billy, when you have a homicidal psychopath in your grasp, you don't tap him with a crowbar. You beat him until he don't breathe no more. This will come back to bite all of you in the ass.

So, Hiroshi was born in 1501. Was he the Highlander already, or did he develop the drug first? I'm a little fuzzy on this.

Man, Peter is short. Or, Billy Campbell is really tall.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College

Last edited by RGM1138 : 03-22-2014 at 08:52 AM.
RGM1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
So, Hiroshi was born in 1501. Was he the Highlander already, or did he develop the drug first? I'm a little fuzzy on this.
I think it was a natural mutation first, that he was trying to recreate via the virus.

Both he and Daniel seem to have taken stupid pills, abandoning a plan that might work in order to give the psychopath who's there to take the virus and kill them all what he wants...
Old 03-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think it was a natural mutation first, that he was trying to recreate via the virus.
Yeah, they were a little vague about this. And didn't Hiroshi say "There can only be 500" (immortals)?

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Yeah, they were a little vague about this. And didn't Hiroshi say "There can only be 500" (immortals)?
I think there's some kind of Secret Society of Immortals who conceal their existence from the rest of the human race, and who have the 500 rule in order to keep their numbers manageable. Hiroshi seems to be a rebel immortal who wants to give it to everybody.

That's my hunch, anyway.

I also think next week (the season finalé) will be very eventful and informative, or at least I hope so!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
I think there's some kind of Secret Society of Immortals who conceal their existence from the rest of the human race, and who have the 500 rule in order to keep their numbers manageable. Hiroshi seems to be a rebel immortal who wants to give it to everybody.

That's my hunch, anyway.

I also think next week (the season finalé) will be very eventful and informative, or at least I hope so!
Interesting. I'm curious as to where the story goes, since it's apparently not the end.

I remember the "thinning the herd" comments from a few eps back. I wonder how this will affect Julia and Sarah, the newly minted immortals.

And, Peter. Is he immortal too, or just not a vector anymore?

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

This episode was terrible.

Anana seems like the typical role that Michelle Rodriguez usually plays.

It was dumb for both Hatake and Miksa to go lone wolf with their plans. I could almost sorta kinda understand Hatake's plan to offer himself instead of Julia but what could possibly have been going through Miksa's head (other than a bomb) to make him think giving up both Narviks wouldn't get everybody killed?

Don't these people still have guns? Hatake should have shot the Scythe as soon as he entered the room but no, the bad guy always has to take time to explain his diabolical plan.

And don't get me started on a name as stupid as the Scythe. Or Alan just love tapping the Scythe (I can't remember his real name) upside his cranium with a crowbar.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
DouglasPHill

The writers will invent something in the last episode that will barely make sense.
DouglasPHill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

One thing still bothers me from a previous episode. It doesn't matter any more but I'm curious. When they were going to throw the Narvik virus containers into the satellite shack fire, how did they know that fire would be hot enough to destroy the virus?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
squint

All fires are much hotter than the minimum temperature required to destroy biological samples.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
And don't get me started on a name as stupid as the Scythe.
I was bugged in the previous episode when he was called The Scythe, then we see him carrying a pair of sickles. I'm wondering if someone knew the difference but was overruled by someone who thought The Sickle sounded bad and had to change it.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Idearat

Quote:
From a practical point of view, having everyone being immortal would be a bit of a problem. There's only so many resources on the planet so food might be an issue. If people were all immune to aging and most/all disease then decapitation would likely be the leading cause of death.

Even without some sort of gene therapy to create more immortals there's the issue of more being born like Julia. It might be argued that the immortality gene is the real plague here.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
It seemed like Julia wasn't "activated" though, so just being born isn't enough.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
rich
Final answer?

Peter's recovery was amazingly fast; going from puking up black goo to fully-cured in a day or less. Impressive.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Peter's recovery was amazingly fast; going from puking up black goo to fully-cured in a day or less. Impressive.
Yeah, but it seems like he shrunk five or six inches.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I was bugged in the previous episode when he was called The Scythe, then we see him carrying a pair of sickles. I'm wondering if someone knew the difference but was overruled by someone who thought The Sickle sounded bad and had to change it.
it caused issues with his dad, you know, Pop Sickle
ba da BOM! I'm here all week folks!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
smbaker

I found it interesting that this show seems to have little to do with its initial premise:

1) They're not battling a virus anymore.

2) The vectors, if there are any of them left, seem to have lost interest in harassing the uninfected.

3) Peter is back to being a normal guy.

It's now a show about a big bad corporation against humanity with some Highlander mixed in. I almost wish they'd have named the corporation 'Weyland Yutani'.

So far, the big bad corporation actually seems like the only sensible people in the series. Hatake's plan of releasing the virus and making all of humanity immortal (if that is indeed his plan) would lead to widespread suffering due to starvation and probable destruction of the whole biosphere in the wars that would result from resource competition.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
So far, the big bad corporation actually seems like the only sensible people in the series. Hatake's plan of releasing the virus and making all of humanity immortal (if that is indeed his plan) would lead to widespread suffering due to starvation and probable destruction of the whole biosphere in the wars that would result from resource competition.
I can't believe I'm actually going to say something positive about Torchwood Miracle Day considering how awful it was, but they did handle the "what happens when people stop dying" issues pretty well.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Hatake's plan of releasing the virus and making all of humanity immortal (if that is indeed his plan) would lead to widespread suffering due to starvation and probable destruction of the whole biosphere in the wars that would result from resource competition.
Wouldn't eating be optional at that point?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
...it seems like he shrunk five or six inches.
That's what she.....

....oh....never mind....

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #20
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I found it interesting that this show seems to have little to do with its initial premise:

1) They're not battling a virus anymore....
Um....are you watching the same show I am? Certainly, in the big picture they ARE battling the virus....

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Um....are you watching the same show I am? Certainly, in the big picture they ARE battling the virus....
But if they have found the "cure" for the virus, as indicated by the Vectors getting better, then it's now the issue of preventing it from getting out. If it does get out then it's an issue of making the treatment available.

What I didn't catch though, was whether the genetic payload was also negated by the treatment. Would the the Vectors who were no longer acting like zombie still have the potential for their eyes to go silver and be immortal?

The treatment seems to have been for the virus, but not remove the genetic change.