TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Food Court Wars, Loving this Show

I like this better than Food Truck Wars. Quicker fix with a winner in each show. Nice to see people getting a helping hand to get their dream business off the ground.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I haven't seen it. Is it similar to that show on NBC that Bobby Flay hosted that was supposed to launch the next fast casual restaurant format?
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I haven't seen it. Is it similar to that show on NBC that Bobby Flay hosted that was supposed to launch the next fast casual restaurant format?
I haven't seen that. Sorry. Someone else know?
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Two teams of two people compete for a lease (worth hundreds of thousands of dollars IF they could get anyone to pay for food court leases these days) in a dying food court. There are 3 phases. A pre competition based on trying their "signature" dish with guest judge earning some advantage (which usually isn't). A marketing event including food. A finale in the food court where both teams try to outsell each other. The one with the highest sales wins a lease in a mall food court where they have enough vacant space to host a TV show. In between the competitions Tyler usually tries to completely change the teams restaurant names, marketing plans and food styles.

The one really cool thing about the show is each is self contained with a winner (and loser). So, really not much like Bobby Flay's NBC show at all.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
dslunceford

I've watched most of these and I find it enjoyable, but not Tyler. I really don't think he adds much to the mix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Bob Coxner

The lead story on CBS Sunday Morning this week was about the death of shopping malls. One expert predicted that fully half of them will close within the next 10 years. There hasn't been a new one built since 2006. So, being given the chance to have a lease in a shopping mall food court is worth...? A good example is Sbarro, the food court pizza chain that just declared bankruptcy for the second time.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-dying-...shopping-mall/
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The lead story on CBS Sunday Morning this week was about the death of shopping malls. One expert predicted that fully half of them will close within the next 10 years. There hasn't been a new one built since 2006. So, being given the chance to have a lease in a shopping mall food court is worth...? A good example is Sbarro, the food court pizza chain that just declared bankruptcy for the second time.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-dying-...shopping-mall/
It's crazy, went into our local mall last (not this) weekend and it was PACKED!!! This mall was finishing being built in 2008 so took a LONG time for it to fill up with stores, but now seems to be booming! Haven't been in the food court, but there are a bunch of good restaurants there and just lots of stuff.

I was surprised

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Our local mall is the biggest in the state and it too is booming. Pretty much wall to wall shoppers on the weekends, even some weeknights are quite busy.

They just did a revamp of the exterior entrances and did a total re-do of the food court. Looks really nice now. Only thing that bugs us is that they keep messing with the restaurant choices. Some say it's due to rental/lease fees and contract terms etc but I'm not sure. They used to have places like Taco Bell, McDonalds, Sonic, Popeye's etc, then they disappeared and got replaced with mom and pop places that never should have been there due to poor menu selection and pricing. We now have Cane's Chicken, Subway (been there forever) and Chick-Fil-A plus some random pizza, Chinese, sandwich places that are ok, but not great.

Overall though, I'd say based on location, this mall will survive for quite a while.

Note that they did try building a big mall way off the beaten path that was nowhere near bigger highways or major roadways and it lasted a few years but soon stores started closing up and traffic flow started dying off because the mall (and the whole area it was in) was full of a lot of riff raff and people were afraid of the crime rates down there, some several years ago, the gutted it and put in several businesses and business schools. It seems to be doing ok, but the whole area around it is really run down now and you don't want to be around there at night.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Restaurants at malls have been increasing, filling the growing vacancies left by the retailers killed off by on line shopping. The new trend though is for the restaurants to be facing out of the mall, not in the food courts. Every mall around here (LI NY) are now ringed by restaurants of one type or another with their own entrance from the parking lot. Having a private entrance in a mall was the exclusive of the large anchor (Dept.) stores a decade or so ago. My very brief observation (I hate mall shopping) recently is that the food courts seem to have much higher levels of vacancy than elsewhere in the mall they are in and there are lots of vacancies in general.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Alfer
WOOSAH!

p.s. This is the second "season". They did this same show back in late 2012/early 2013.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
sharkster

I've watched since season one and I like it ok. I would agree that Tyler is rather flat, though. But he seems to care and is helpful toward the cheftestants.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The lead story on CBS Sunday Morning this week was about the death of shopping malls. One expert predicted that fully half of them will close within the next 10 years. There hasn't been a new one built since 2006. So, being given the chance to have a lease in a shopping mall food court is worth...? A good example is Sbarro, the food court pizza chain that just declared bankruptcy for the second time. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-dying-...shopping-mall/
That's just semantics. They haven't stopped building shopping centers. It's just no longer the trend in commercial development to build fully enclosed centers where all the stores open onto a central hallway. The new trend is shipping centers with open pedestrian areas in the center or a small-town Main Street feel with narrow streets, nice sidewalks, and parking in front of each business.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
nmiller855

Our mall opened in 1981 & has only had a few minor facelifts & feels like a flea market. The cameras in the parking lots haven't worked for years so vehicles are stolen there regularly. It became a gang hangout years ago. There is a grungy movie theatre that I only go to if there is a movie I really can't wait to see but don't have the time to go to a nicer place.
The only draw used to be a Casa Ole (chain Mexican restaurant) but it closed due to lease issues & nothing has opened in that place or any of the other food places that have closed.. They already had an Asian place but another one opened so they named it Cajun Cuisine even though it has the same menu as the Asian place.
I would welcome this show to our mall but I know we don't have anywhere the traffic it would require.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That's just semantics. They haven't stopped building shopping centers. It's just no longer the trend in commercial development to build fully enclosed centers where all the stores open onto a central hallway. The new trend is shipping centers with open pedestrian areas in the center or a small-town Main Street feel with narrow streets, nice sidewalks, and parking in front of each business.
We have two of these in Northeast Ohio, and one is in the early stages of being built down the road from me.

The enclosed malls:

One is thriving...an upscale center that's remodeled itself and does great in spite of an open air mega strip center a mile and change down the road. The mall is home to our local Apple store.

One, my closest mall, is hanging in there, but has been mostly usurped by its own nearby strip center. Retail on the other side of the mall from the strip street is flagging. The farther away you get from that road, the worse it is. The mall's front street is now the home of check cashing centers, thrift stores and the like.

One was once the retail jewel of the area. Two stories, a glass bubble elevator, and the like. Like a similar mall to the north, it became crime ridden and stores and shoppers fled like their hair was on fire. (The first retail strip road above pulled away many shoppers, and another in the outer suburbs did the rest.)

The local two-story mall is now completely abandoned. The last retailer, the JCPenney Outlet store, closed a few months ago. The old Sears store is being used for non-retail storage.

The two-story mall up north...they just announced it would be nearly completely torn down. The same fate likely will befall the one down here.

And to bring this back to topic...that nearby mall (the second, older one) underwent a food court renovation...and basically not much else.

The food court feels like it doesn't fit, and is now half empty. It still has a Sbarros (for now) and a Charley's, but not much else other than locally owned low-rent restaurants. The food court had a Subway, but it disappeared a few months ago like it went into the Mall Witness Relocation Program.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
And to bring this back to topic...that nearby mall (the second, older one) underwent a food court renovation...and basically not much else.
Nothing new about malls being torn down - there was one about 40 miles north of Baltimore that went from (apparently) thriving in 1999 to the upper level (including the food court) closed in 2000 to demolition by 2003. The fact that it was in what was pretty much an industrial area and there was a Wal-Mart right next to it didn't help it any. There was also a mall just south of the state house in Columbus that went from busy to closed in a matter of a few years about ten years ago.
Quote:
The food court feels like it doesn't fit, and is now half empty. It still has a Sbarros (for now) and a Charley's, but not much else other than locally owned low-rent restaurants. The food court had a Subway, but it disappeared a few months ago like it went into the Mall Witness Relocation Program.
The mall near Travis Air Force Base in northern California did the same thing recently. Also, the road that goes around the mall has a number of open-air stores (e.g. Barnes & Noble, Trader Joe's), and this is where the somewhat fast food restaurants seem to be headed (a Five Guys opened up there recently, in place of a Quizno's).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
Big Deficit
Happy now?

The bonus is that this show is able to have a prize for each episode as opposed to Food Truck Wars which has only one per season. I'm guessing here, but that one food truck costs more than 8(?) one year food court leases? On that thought, I'm surprised malls or open air markets haven't tried to get in on the food truck craze by inviting them to their parking lot. At least I haven't seen that anywhere.