TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
thalador

Is the IR remote supposed to forget alot?

I am very confused about the remote with my Roamio. I know it is IR also and that was cool, but it seems to go out of sync, or whatever, all the time. I will use the remote and all is well. Use it via IR a minute later and it works. 30 seconds later it doesn't and I have to point back at the box for it to "sync" again. Is this normal?
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Put new batteries in it. My slide pro started acting up in the same manner you describe and new batteries solved my remotes issues.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalador View Post
I am very confused about the remote with my Roamio. I know it is IR also and that was cool, but it seems to go out of sync, or whatever, all the time. I will use the remote and all is well. Use it via IR a minute later and it works. 30 seconds later it doesn't and I have to point back at the box for it to "sync" again. Is this normal?
To clarify, the new Tivo remotes use RF technology, as well as the old IR technology as a fall-back. I also experience issues of the remote losing RF and needing to point the remote at the box to send a valid IR signal, which seems to reset the RF to working again. Others have also complained. Seems to be a fairly common flaw in at least some of the new RF remotes that come with the Roamios.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
To clarify, the new Tivo remotes use RF technology, as well as the old IR technology as a fall-back. I also experience issues of the remote losing RF and needing to point the remote at the box to send a valid IR signal, which seems to reset the RF to working again. Others have also complained. Seems to be a fairly common flaw in at least some of the new RF remotes that come with the Roamios.
1st off... make sure your batteries are good

Ive commented this in other posts on this topic so I apologize if i am being repetitious to those searching posts... I had two remotes (basic Roamio remote and Slide Pro) that both were acting up, falling out of RF, failing to respond to button presses, etc... after doing a 'global reset' on the remotes and re-pairing them they have been 99%+ reliable, working up to 30+ feet away, etc.

Note that some have needed replacement remotes to solve their problems...

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...kw/Rf%20remote

To perform a global reset

The Global Reset function unpairs the Roamio remote from the paired DVR, then clears any other remote settings, such as IR codes for your television or other A/V device. Use this function to unpair a remote and return it to the out-of-box settings.

IMPORTANT: You will need both the paired Roamio remote and the DVR to perform a global reset. If your paired remote has been lost or damaged, you will need to use a new remote in IR mode to put the DVR in a pairing state, then pair the new remote to the DVR. For instructions, see To Pair a different remote to your DVR.

To perform a global reset:
1.Press and hold the TiVo + TV Power buttons until the activity indicator blinks red.
2.Press Thumbs Down three times, then press Enter.
The activity indicator will flash red three times if the global reset is successful.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
FitzAusTex

Tivo sent me a new remote because of my concern that my tivo fails to receive rf commands from 10 feet away hundreds of times per day. My leg can interfere with the rf, as can my dog. Have definitely tried new duracells. Have turned off everything, roku, wifi, phone, tablet, computer, ceiling fans and even the TV! All to no avail. They're offering to replace the box, but I need to determine how that would impact my 4 year best buy warranty.

Anyway although my Roamio basic accepts rf probably 90% of the time, 10% failure from 10 feet away can really be frustrating, since I can't count on my button presses.

In IR-only mode, the remote has to be pointed nearly directly at the Roamio. Far more directly than any device I can recall, which makes using my IR Harmony really annoying.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
Tivo sent me a new remote because of my concern that my tivo fails to receive rf commands from 10 feet away hundreds of times per day. My leg can interfere with the rf, as can my dog. Have definitely tried new duracells. Have turned off everything, roku, wifi, phones tablets, computer, ceiling fans and even the TV! All to no avail. They're offering to replace the box, but I need to determine how that would impact my 4 year best buy warranty.

Anyway although my Roamio basic accepts rf probably 90% of the time, 10% failure from 10 feet away can really be frustrating, since I can't count on my button presses.
Almost sounds like there is some type of interfere in the 2.4ghz range in your home that is jumping all over your remote. I wonder if installing the newer USB RF module that is included with the Premiere version of the Roamio Remote might help since that would allow you to reposition it for better reception. Call Tivo and present that idea, I suspect they would send you one for no charge.

Another option would be to get a spread spectrum RF analyzer to do site survey but those aren't free and are very expensive and even then it would only show you what is in the air and not solve the issue.

While it's a proprietary modulation, the RF of the Roamio remote operates on the crowed 2.4ghz radio range. You might do a inventory of other RF devices in your home.

As the BB warranty goes, I have heard others buy several Tivo Mini's with one having the warranty with the idea that BB doesn't confirm the serial number and will use one covered BB warranty to handle multiple, same model devices but BB should honor the change but might prefer you do the exchange though them instead of Tivo just so you can be sure you retain the future coverage on the new box.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Almost sounds like there is some type of interfere in the 2.4ghz range in your home that is jumping all over your remote. I wonder if installing the newer USB RF module that is included with the Premiere version of the Roamio Remote might help since that would allow you to reposition it for better reception. Call Tivo and present that idea, I suspect they would send you one for no charge.

Another option would be to get a spread spectrum RF analyzer to do site survey but those aren't free and are very expensive and even then it would only show you what is in the air and not solve the issue.

While it's a proprietary modulation, the RF of the Roamio remote operates on the crowed 2.4ghz radio range. You might do a inventory of other RF devices in your home.

As the BB warranty goes, I have heard others buy several Tivo Mini's with one having the warranty with the idea that BB doesn't confirm the serial number and will use one covered BB warranty to handle multiple, same model devices but BB should honor the change but might prefer you do the exchange though them instead of Tivo just so you can be sure you retain the future coverage on the new box.
yeah, I literally turned off every device in my house except for the tivo to eliminate interference. Even had neighbor turn off his router, and it didn't help. I will probably ask for the module, which was what I was trying to get, but the overly "helpful" cs agent placed an order for a regular Roamio remote before I could even get the description of problem explained.

Yeah, was trying to figure out if Best Buy notes the serial number when you buy a warranty. It isn't on the receipt, but I didn't know if one code on the receipt actually points to the actual serial number in their system (doubt it, but who knows). Thanks for the reply!
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote