TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #91
fmowry

I'm not sure "niece" is blood enough to bother Jervase that she got the boot. Some of these couples relationships don't lend to the "blood" appeal of the show. Aras and his brother have a strained relationship too, so it's hard to think their relationship will have near the effect on decisions like a husband and wife would.

If Colton can flit around like the gay pride parade, I don't see describing his partner as "the gay guy" as a big deal. Any more than saying we got the 4 white guys and the black guy. It was the easiest differentiation of the 5 guys on the tribe.

So it was an ignorant statement. He's a dumb jock who has problems counting to 9. It certainly didn't seem to be said maliciously.

Tina's daughter wouldn't make the top 20 hot survivor chick list. (potential thread?)
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #92
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post

So it was an ignorant statement. He's a dumb jock who has problems counting to 9. It certainly didn't seem to be said maliciously.
Far from dumb. After the NFL in 2001 he want back to Law School at the University of Florida and is a practicing trial attorney in Tampa. However, that whole scene was hilarious!

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #93
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Far from dumb. After the NFL in 2001 he want back to Law School at the University of Florida and is a practicing trial attorney in Tampa. However, that whole scene was hilarious!
There are millions of lawyers in the US. Not all are smart. Many can count to 9 though especially if they can use their fingers. I mean aren't there > 9 on a jury? He seems pretty dumb.

I find it a bit hypocritical that many descriptions of women in these threads focus on their boob size yet it's taboo for a player to differentiate between nondescript white guys by singling out the gay guy.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #94
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
He's not differentiating between the different guys. He's saying a gay guy is not a guy. That's a huge difference.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #95
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I find it a bit hypocritical that many descriptions of women in these threads focus on their boob size yet it's taboo for a player to differentiate between nondescript white guys by singling out the gay guy.
There's a difference between "the gay guy" and "four guys and a gay guy".
Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #96
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
He's not differentiating between the different guys. He's saying a gay guy is not a guy. That's a huge difference.
That's obviously your opinion and I disagree with it. He called him a gay guy (which he his BTW, and out so there's no secrecy there).

So to claim he's saying a gay guy is not a guy is simply not factual.

Bunch of guilt laden people here.

Is it OK to call Colton gay?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #97
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
There's a difference between "the gay guy" and "four guys and a gay guy".
Mountain out of a mole hill. The easiest way to differentiate the others among a group is to pick out a descriptor. If everyone during the whole day they've been together knows one guy is obviously gay (and the partner if the biggest dick in Survivor history), labeling him is such doesn't need to be malicious.

Quick, describe the other 4 guys. You probably can't (I can't) but you remember the gay guy.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #98
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Mountain out of a mole hill. The easiest way to differentiate the others among a group is to pick out a descriptor. If everyone during the whole day they've been together knows one guy is obviously gay (and the partner if the biggest dick in Survivor history), labeling him is such doesn't need to be malicious.

Quick, describe the other 4 guys. You probably can't (I can't) but you remember the gay guy.
I think you're missing the point. I don't have any issue identifying him as "the gay guy". He, the football guy, and Candace's husband the doctor guy are the only 3 of the 5 that I remember.

The issue that some people are having is with the conversation that the football guy was having with at least one of the other guys (the doctor guy I think? maybe others) and he said that their alliance had "four guys and a gay guy". Why would he not just say that their alliance had five guys? He is not on a forum where no one remembers anyone's name yet. I'm pretty sure that the other guys on the tribe would know who he's talking about if there are five guys on the tribe and he said "we have five guys".
Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #99
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. I don't have any issue identifying him as "the gay guy". He, the football guy, and Candace's husband the doctor guy are the only 3 of the 5 that I remember.

The issue that some people are having is with the conversation that the football guy was having with at least one of the other guys (the doctor guy I think? maybe others) and he said that their alliance had "four guys and a gay guy". Why would he not just say that their alliance had five guys? He is not on a forum where no one remembers anyone's name yet. I'm pretty sure that the other guys on the tribe would know who he's talking about if there are five guys on the tribe and he said "we have five guys".
The issue is not that he described the one guy as gay, it's that he didn't describe the other guys as anything more than being guys, which the gay guy is as well. It would be as if you had 5 apples, 4 macintosh apples and a gala apple and saying you had 4 apples and a gala apple. Isn't the gala apple an apple too? Now if he said we have 4 straight guys and a gay guy, I get the differentiation. That would be equal to saying that there are 4 white guys and a black guy.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #100
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The issue is not that he described the one guy as gay, it's that he didn't describe the other guys as anything more than being guys, which the gay guy is as well. It would be as if you had 5 apples, 4 macintosh apples and a gala apple and saying you had 4 apples and a gala apple. Isn't the gala apple an apple too? Now if he said we have 4 straight guys and a gay guy, I get the differentiation. That would be equal to saying that there are 4 white guys and a black guy.
I'm not sure if you quoted me because you're agreeing with me, or if you're trying to explain to me... but you just said basically the same thing I did.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #101
gweempose

I'm sorry, but there is no way you can convince me that Culpepper's comment was innocuous. I just went back and re-watched it to make sure I heard it correctly. Here's exactly what he said:

"Well, the key is we got five guys right now ... We've got four guys and a gay guy".

The way he phrased it clearly indicates that he views Colton as not a real guy, or less of a real guy. It was a scummy thing to say.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #102
tonestert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Not to mention there was also a Dante Culpepper in the NFL, who was also a QB. (Yeah, I know Dante is black)
Yea that's the only Culpeper I knew from football and I thought when Monica played the 1st time she was married to Dante so I was surprised to see Brad Culpepper.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #103
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I'm not sure if you quoted me because you're agreeing with me, or if you're trying to explain to me... but you just said basically the same thing I did.
Yep, I'm agreeing with you. Just pontificating
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #104
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That's obviously your opinion and I disagree with it. He called him a gay guy (which he his BTW, and out so there's no secrecy there). So to claim he's saying a gay guy is not a guy is simply not factual. Bunch of guilt laden people here. Is it OK to call Colton gay?
of course it's okay to describe Caleb as gay, because he is. What's not okay is to say he's 'not a guy.' His exact words, describing a group of five people: "we have four guys, and a gay guy." His phrasing clearly differentiated Caleb from being a guy. That's not my opinion; that's a fact. What's up for dispute is whether there was malice behind it.

Similar examples that might further clarify what I thought was a pretty simple language issue:

Describing a group of five animals: "we have four dogs, and a cat."
Describing a group of five pieces of fruit: "we have four apples, and a banana."
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #105
Amnesia
The Question

In the past, how have gay males aligned when it came to a male alliance vs. female alliance?
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #106
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I'm sorry, but there is no way you can convince me that Culpepper's comment was innocuous. I just went back and re-watched it to make sure I heard it correctly. Here's exactly what he said:

"Well, the key is we got five guys right now ... We've got four guys and a gay guy".

The way he phrased it clearly indicates that he views Colton as not a real guy, or less of a real guy. It was a scummy thing to say.
However amusingly enough, on a technicality he's more of a "mans man"
Old 09-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #107
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
and I'm sure Jeff was around the NFL? Most players are refered to by first and last name by announcers.
I just took that as Probst trying to be cool himself, be "one of the guys" by calling the NFL player by his last name. I don't think Probst knows him or has any outside relationship with him. I just think Jeff sees Brad as someone Jeff would want the approval of, and so calling Brad what Jeff perceives would be considered "cool" was simply his way of getting that approval.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #108
dirtypacman
Coming and going

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
Yea that's the only Culpeper I knew from football and I thought when Monica played the 1st time she was married to Dante so I was surprised to see Brad Culpepper.
As was I.

No need for a 1.5 hour premiere. Survivor your format works well in 1 hour time slot. Anything more, including the finales, kind of sucks to watch. I thought this first episode was good, yet boring due to being a bit too long.

I watched every season of survivor and had a hard time placing a few of the returning contestants. Which is fine by me I would rather have new players so not remembering one or two works for me lol. Because of all the returning players I am already a bit down on the season. As with everyone else its like waiting for Colton to be voted off - the guy should never have gotten a chance to come back in the first place.

Wondering who the first will be to start searching out the hidden immunity.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #109
dirtypacman
Coming and going

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I just took that as Probst trying to be cool himself, be "one of the guys" by calling the NFL player by his last name. I don't think Probst knows him or has any outside relationship with him. I just think Jeff sees Brad as someone Jeff would want the approval of, and so calling Brad what Jeff perceives would be considered "cool" was simply his way of getting that approval.
Jeff is a complete tool. I really dislike him, I know I have made this point before so I won't go off too much. Jeff is always looking to be cool or seem hip. Having your claim to fame being the host of a once very popular reality show is one step above being a contestant yourself. The way he comes off sometimes just makes him look a fool.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
Old 09-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #110
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypacman View Post
Jeff is a complete tool. I really dislike him, I know I have made this point before so I won't go off too much. Jeff is always looking to be cool or seem hip. Having your claim to fame being the host of a once very popular reality show is one step above being a contestant yourself. The way he comes off sometimes just makes him look a fool.
He's the Ryan Seacrest of reality shows....oh wait.....
Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #111
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I find Rupert as annoying as Colton. Can't stand either one.
At least Rupert is a decent human being. Colton on the other hand...?
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #112
Hcour

Quote:
I really like him, both professionally and personally. I think he's the best host on reality tv (not that I'm an expert, by any means). I think he does an excellent job of exerting authority over the game and the players without arrogance or ego, and seems genuinely interested in what the players are going through and the strategic dynamics of both the individuals and the tribes.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #113
tonestert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
I really like him, both professionally and personally. I think he's the best host on reality tv (not that I'm an expert, by any means). I think he does an excellent job of exerting authority over the game and the players without arrogance or ego, and seems genuinely interested in what the players are going through and the strategic dynamics of both the individuals and the tribes.
I agree, Jeff along with Phil from the Amazing Race are my 2 favorite hosts.

Has Jeff said "Come on in guys" for every single challenge for every season ? I guess after so many seasons he's gonna repeat some stuff but "C'mon man".
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #114
pmyers

Quote:
...Having your claim to fame being the host of a once very popular reality show is one step above being a contestant yourself. The way he comes off sometimes just makes him look a fool.
"once" very popular? I sure haven't heard of any ratings complaints.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #115
dirtypacman
Coming and going

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
"once" very popular? I sure haven't heard of any ratings complaints.
Yeah I see what your saying as it does still pull in good ratings... but to compare: it was “Survivor’s” lowest-rated fall premiere ever so I think the "once" still stands.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #116
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Has Jeff said "Come on in guys" for every single challenge for every season ? I guess after so many seasons he's gonna repeat some stuff but "C'mon man".
He purposefully always uses the same phrasing in all his main call-outs. It's part of the game. He's been asked before and said he wouldn't change those things.

FWIW, I think Probst is the best host on any reality show. He's got a right to be proud of his work: he puts in far and away the most effort and has the most hands-on impact on and oversight of his show of any reality host today. How much really does Cat contribute to SYTYCD? Or Seacrest to AI? They are pure hosts. Jeff is much more than that to Survivor.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #117
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
... How much really does Cat contribute to SYTYCD? ....
Cat learned how to say "Judges."
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #118
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Tina's daughter wouldn't make the top 20 hot survivor chick list. (potential thread?)
I'd agree, but that doesn't mean she's not attractive.

Quote:
I agree, Jeff along with Phil from the Amazing Race are my 2 favorite hosts.

Now he's going to have to change it to "Come on in guys and gay guys."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #119
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
How much really does Cat contribute to SYTYCD? Or Seacrest to AI? They are pure hosts.
Well, Nigel Lythgoe said at the end of this season of SYTYCD that the female winner wouldn't even have cracked the top 20 had Cat not fought hard for her inclusion behind the scenes. I think her role is more than just being cute and lovable.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #120
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haps View Post
If I were aras I would have just pushed Gervase off that last obstacle on the challenge.
Pushing someone (especially someone who can't swim well) into water before they are ready probably isn't a good idea. But he could have helped him up the steps. Along those lines, why was Aras the ony one helping Gervase swim that last segment? It seemed like the others were just waiting by the boat for them to get there. Why didn't anyone else swim back and give Aras a hand pulling Gervase along?
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote