TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #31
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I'm pretty sure ratings went up when they even brought back just a few returning players. It gets people familiar with something right from the start instead of needing to learn everybody.

And after all the complaints about wanting all new players, CBS did just that for the newest Big Brother and then people complained because nobody was likeable and knew how to play the game.

At least with experienced players you see a higher-caliber game being played because they've done it once and try to learn from their mistakes.

I would watch with all newbies or with all returnings or a mix. But I think I like having a few returning players as they seem to up everybody else's game and create a very entertaining season, still with new faces being integrated in.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
Tracy
Truly

I was surprised that I didn't recognize several of the returning players. I faithfully watch all the seasons with full attention.

I was surprised that the returning tribe chose to vote out the doctor lady (one of them I couldn't remember). She looked fit and strong. What could be the possible reasoning there?

Hate Colton. What a drama queen! I thought for sure his tribe would vote him out immediately just as a matter of principle. So odd.

I liked Gervaise's niece and was very sad to see her go. He better step up for her at Redemption Island.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #33
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
For me, Kat remains one of the hottest women to ever play the game. I'm happy to see her back.
And her front!

I think I like the twists this year so far.

The part about winning a comp but then knowing your loved one may go home, is a big. And then finding out they went home because of your celebrating! I wonder when Gervase will find that out?

And the fact that Gervase did NOTHING to help his tribe at that comp, but was the most vocal about them winning is just plain stupid. He must have been so thrilled that he wasn't getting sent home for his poor performance that he lost it a little. If his tribe had lost, it may have been him going home for dragging them down during the swim.

Yes, Colton is the same old big bag of ****** (I guess the forum software won't let me talk about Summer's Eve products) we have seen before. You could see it when they were rowing the boat. His loved one seems like a likable guy so far. I don't see what he sees in Colton.

Boy, Tina's daughter is a looker! I hope she doesn't go home anytime soon.

When the one veteran player (I forget who) said "I can started a fire. I watched Rob do it", I thought for sure that would turn into a huge fail, but he did it! Kudos to him!

As a person, Rupert showed a lot of class by trading places with his wife. As a game player, not so much. His wife will be eliminated as soon as they get a chance and he will be stuck fighting against her on RI. Then he will throw the comp to her, and she'll just lose the next time. They will both be home soon! Just my opinion!

Oh, one more thing. When Rupert made the comment about he and his wife "being blood", that's not true. They are married. They would have to be a father/daughter or something like that to "be blood".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by markz : 09-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #34
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I was surprised that I didn't recognize several of the returning players. I faithfully watch all the seasons with full attention.

I was surprised that the returning tribe chose to vote out the doctor lady (one of them I couldn't remember). She looked fit and strong. What could be the possible reasoning there?

Hate Colton. What a drama queen! I thought for sure his tribe would vote him out immediately just as a matter of principle. So odd.

I liked Gervaise's niece and was very sad to see her go. He better step up for her at Redemption Island.
This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I thought it was funny that Brad Culpepper immediately knew he put his foot in his mouth. You can tell he's a fan of the show. He seemed to know a lot about past players as if he'd studied.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
You missed my point.

Anyone is entitled to their opinion, my annoyance is that they don't wait until they have a legitimate basis for an informed opinion, like watching more than one episode for example.

Even worse are the negative opinions that are posted before someone even watches a show
On your first point. Maybe it's more first impression and opinion. It's kind of why I put it like I did. on my OP. I get it's the first episode, but my first impression is that I'm not liking where this is going.

On your second point, also natural to read a description of something and form an opinion. I do that when I choose what new shows to watch. Nothing wrong with that either.

You're right, I may end up liking the season. It's happened before. But I can't form an opinion about something I haven't seen yet, could I? I can only say what I think based on this one episode. I've changed my mind. Perfect example of that was 2012 season of Big Brother. I thought the coaching thing would be lame when I first read about it, then when I saw how it worked, I kind of liked it. Then, they brought the coaches into the game, which I didn't think I'd like, but, it turned out great because of Dan. So, I went from hating, to liking, to hating, to liking! But I formed an opinion before the show started and changed it during. I wish our politicians would do that more often!!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #37
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
I'm pretty sure ratings went up when they even brought back just a few returning players. It gets people familiar with something right from the start instead of needing to learn everybody.

And after all the complaints about wanting all new players, CBS did just that for the newest Big Brother and then people complained because nobody was likeable and knew how to play the game.

At least with experienced players you see a higher-caliber game being played because they've done it once and try to learn from their mistakes.

I would watch with all newbies or with all returnings or a mix. But I think I like having a few returning players as they seem to up everybody else's game and create a very entertaining season, still with new faces being integrated in.
I see your point, and I guess I'm ok with it, to a point. Bring back someone a second time, but when it gets to the 3rd or 4th time, I'm tired of them. For CBS it's less of a risk to bring back returning players, but, if you got a group of newbies that were outstanding (lets say Russell's first season, I don't remember if there were any returnees), then you have a great season. It's up to the producers to find intriguing players.

And sometimes, it's all in the implementation. I thought this implementation could be fun, after ONE episode, I'm not so sure. We'll see.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
For me, Kat remains one of the hottest women to ever play the game. I'm happy to see her back.
She definitely is one of the ones who is easier on the eyes...her mugshot doesn't do her justice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I couldn't believe how the initial votes turned out so lopsided when the people (supposedly) hadn't been able to confer about who to vote for.
I was surprised at this too. Were all of the votes for Rupert's wife all votes against Rupert? I know that a lot of people on this board don't like him.

Quote:
The only one I'm having trouble with is Laura. I don't recognize or remember her at all.

Quote:
Doesn't she have some sort of bad history in her previous seasons? Like she was known for screwing someone over? (or maybe it's the other way around).
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
And her front!

I think I like the twists this year so far.

The part about winning a comp but then knowing your loved one go home, is a big. And then finding out they went home because of your celebrating! I wonder when Gervase will find that out?

And the fact that Gervase did NOTHING to help his tribe at that comp, but was the most vocal about them winning is just plain stupid. He must have been so thrilled that he wasn't getting sent home for his poor performance that he lost it a little. If his tribe had lost, it may have been him going home for dragging them down during the swim.

Yes, Colton is the same old big bag of ****** we have seen before. You could see it when they were rowing the boat. His loved one seems like a likable guy so far. I don't see what he sees in Colton.

Boy, Tina's daughter is a looker! I hope she doesn't go home anytime soon.

When the one veteran player (I forget who) said "I can started a fire. I watched Rob do it", I thought for sure that would turn into a huge fail, but he did it! Kudos to him!

As a person, Rupert showed a lot of class by trading places with his wife. As a game player, not so much. His wife will be eliminated as soon as they get a chance and he will be stuck fighting against her on RI. Then he will throw the comp to her, and she'll just lose the next time. They will both be home soon! Just my opinion!

Oh, one more thing. When Rupert made the comment about he and his wife "being blood", that's not true. They are married. They would have to be a father/daughter or something like that to "be blood".
Yeah "blood" is a stretch in most of these cases. But I get the concept!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm really enjoying the fact that a player on one teams actions can affect their loved one, it adds what I hope will be a new dynamic to the game play, and they've needed that for a while.

On the other hand despite Colton's pleas of being "improved" markz really pegged what I saw, in the boat it was obvious that the old Colton is still there.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #41
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Can't believe Gervase still can't swim.

I was surprised at how many of the returning players I didn't recognize. For instance, I didn't even remember Aras, much less that he had won a previous season. Didn't remember Linda either.

And as someone who wears his emotions on his sleeve, even I thought John was a little over the top about Candice. Suck it up dude.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #42
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Still hate Colton. I thought for a second maybe he had changed, but nope.

Totally shocked by his fiancé though. Seemed like a real good guy (and would have never pegged my gaydar either). Doesn't he know that Colton is a sociopath?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #43
InterMurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
The new twist this season on RI is that [REDACTED]
Please put spoiler tags around this spoiler.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #44
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
Please put spoiler tags around this spoiler.
Sorry. It was already announced and circulated prior to the season started, so I didn't even think about it. Will edit my OP.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #45
Haps
eh?

If I were aras I would have just pushed Gervase off that last obstacle on the challenge.
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #46
tonestert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I was surprised at how many of the returning players I didn't recognize. For instance, I didn't even remember Aras, much less that he had won a previous season. Didn't remember Linda either.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't remember some of these people and I've watched every season. I don't remember Aras either and he won ! Must of been a bad season. I have to admit I tend to remember the women players more than the guys.

Here's a crazy idea, instead of having returning players from different seasons I think it would be interesting to have all the players from the same season back. It would be interesting to see if they would end up close to the same order or if there would be a different final 2.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #47
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't remember some of these people and I've watched every season. I don't remember Aras either and he won ! Must of been a bad season. I have to admit I tend to remember the women players more than the guys.

Here's a crazy idea, instead of having returning players from different seasons I think it would be interesting to have all the players from the same season back. It would be interesting to see if they would end up close to the same order or if there would be a different final 2.
I thought of a couple of returning survivors scenarios:

1) Bring back only winners (a true All-Stars). Let them duke it out for the titel of ultimate Survivor

2) Bring back only voted out first (and let them actually get a chance). There's an obvious problem with this scenario, most of the first offs were pretty annoying. Imagine bringing back the one who kept singing?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #48
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

1) Bring back only winners (a true All-Stars). Let them duke it out for the titel of ultimate Survivor

2) Bring back only voted out first (and let them actually get a chance). There's an obvious problem with this scenario, most of the first offs were pretty annoying. Imagine bringing back the one who kept singing?
Those ideas are pretty good. I wouldn't bring back anyone that didn't make it to final tribal council. Sometimes, depending on one's definition of best player, the best person doesn't necessarily win if people vote based on anything other than game play. Like some people focus more on social game, or winning comps, or loyalty.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #49
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:

I like the second scenerio. Because they were voted off for various reasons first no one really knows who has game or what their strategy would be.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #50
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Or bring back only runners-up? That way at least one of them could finally win.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #51
InterMurph

Quote:
Bring back only winners (a true All-Stars). Let them duke it out for the titel of ultimate Survivor
The title of "ultimate Survivor" belongs to Sandra.

Two appearances, two victories.

Nobody else comes close.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #52
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Speaking of jerks, can that football dude be any more of a jerk?
Seriously.

"We have four guys and a gay guy."

No, jerkwad-- you have five guys.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #53
jradosh
Newlywed

I'm not a fan of Kat and now that she's paired up with doofus BB player, even less so. And between the remaining players I just don't think there's sufficient eye-candy this season.

(yes, I'm that shallow )

Someone said "too bad Rupert went to RI. He's good at building shelters". REALLY!?!?!?

I'm actually optimistic about the 'gimmick' this season. It adds a dimension that's new and different. I'm curious how it will play out. Good job CBS.

But please... is every vote out going to be called a "blindside" from here on? Save that word for the real blindsides please!

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #54
LlamaLarry

Add me to the list that had no idea who Aras was or that he won! I also did not remember Kat either.

I'm not a big RI/EI twist fan, but I'm looking forward to this season.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #55
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
The title of "ultimate Survivor" belongs to Sandra.

Two appearances, two victories.

Nobody else comes close.
Well I'd say all of those with ONE win come close

That said, I'd like to see her prove it against the other winners. I'm not convinced, if she played against all the other winners, she'd win.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #56
InterMurph

Quote:
That said, I'd like to see her prove it against the other winners. I'm not convinced, if she played against all the other winners, she'd win.
She defeated three other winners in Heroes Vs. Villains: Tom Westman, Parvati Shallow, and J.T. Thomas.

At any rate, I'm not claiming she would win every possible season. I'm just saying that, because she is the only player ever to win twice, and because she has never lost, she has earned the title of Ultimate Survivor.

I suspect that if she were to play a season against winners, she would be the first voted out, because she is the Ultimate Survivor.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #57
justen_m

I just watched and I love this season. Sorry haters. I am not a student of the game. Episodes go in one ear and out the other. I have no idea who some of the vets are, despite having watched every episode. Who the hell is Aras? I am rooting for his bro -- overcoming that is an accomplishment.

As for jerkwad football dude... I hate a man vs woman alliance. again.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #58
LifeIsABeach

I liked it. Love that the loved ones and relatives are split. Also glad Rupert is one step closer to going home. Don't understand why Gervaise was in the swimming part. He couldn't swim in season 1 and still can't. I was happy to see him back and unfortunately he will probably be the first voted off his tribe. His niece got a raw deal. One of the puzzlers should have gone. Most likely Tina's daughter who was bragging about how great she is at puzzles (sorry markz ).
Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #59
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
Add me to the list that had no idea who Aras was or that he won! I also did not remember Kat either.
Does this jog your memory? Or, anything else? :-)

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #60
pmyers

The reason Rupert's Laura was voted out was because she was the obvious weakest looking player on her tribe. I don't think it had anything to do with Rupert.

Now, why the vets voted out Candice instead of Tina, I'll never understand. They should know you don't get rid of physically strong players to start.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote