TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Survivor - 9/18/13 - Season Premiere

Is it too early to say that I'm already hating this season? Waaaaay too gimmicky. Voting off two people immediately without letting them even play the game? Terrible. Ruppert being the big hero, while the other dude didn't do it. Ugggh, I wanted to shoot myself. I hate RI but they had to put it in play immediately? And Rupert's wife at a clear disadvantage having to play with the old timers. I did like the immunity challenge though because it showed the strengths and weaknesses of the tribes. And who's idea was it to have Gervais swimming? IRC on S1 he couldn't swim then.

I'll stick with it probably, but I'm not too optimistic I'm going to enjoy this too much.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I wish they had split the teams with half loved ones, half returning players. This way they could still have your loved ones on the other team but it would be a little more diverse.
I think it would make it interesting later on, when someone who voted your loved one out is asking to join your alliance.

Gervase - How stupid was he? Not only was he useless in the challenge, but then was the loudest one in the end gloating about the win. And the end results were predictable after that.

Ok people, no one bothered to learn how to make fire before coming on the show? This, and learning to swim, seems like the two basics you need to do before coming on.

Colton. I despise him. There is no way that he has changed. What we saw on his last season is who he really is, and that will come out eventually.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I wish they had split the teams with half loved ones, half returning players. This way they could still have your loved ones on the other team but it would be a little more diverse.
I think it would make it interesting later on, when someone who voted your loved one out is asking to join your alliance.

Gervase - How stupid was he? Not only was he useless in the challenge, but then was the loudest one in the end gloating about the win. And the end results were predictable after that.

Ok people, no one bothered to learn how to make fire before coming on the show? This, and learning to swim, seems like the two basics you need to do before coming on.

Colton. I despise him. There is no way that he has changed. What we saw on his last season is who he really is, and that will come out eventually.
I did get the feeling that Gervase's niece kind of thinks he's a jerk anyway. He cost her big time. Speaking of jerks, can that football dude be any more of a jerk?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
I couldn't believe how the initial votes turned out so lopsided when the people (supposedly) hadn't been able to confer about who to vote for.

It was fun watching the veterans wander around rudderless in the boat. I wondered if they'd ever make it back to shore. But they pulled a nice comeback in the puzzle phase.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Dalton's recap:

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...ater-premiere/

And Probst interview:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/19/je...ater-premiere/
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
bikegeek

I hope we don't have to see Colton crying every week.
bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegeek View Post
I'm sure glad Colton changed his personality in time for this season!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Is it too early to say that I'm already hating this season?
No.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, I didn't think it was too bad. Of course, I was at a party until about 11 pm and tried to watch it while falling asleep on the couch. I still don't know what happened in the last half hour.

The voting off at the beginning has been done before. No biggie there.

YES, it would have been much much better to have the loved ones and the returning players be mixed up. They could have still not had the pairs together but at least there would be some equality in setting up camp and such. I think we have all complained about this for years when they set it up that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
Colton's fiancee Caleb actually seemed liked a nice guy. That could be having a moderating influence on Colton, at least when they're together. My gaydar is usually very good but I would have missed on Caleb.

For me, Kat remains one of the hottest women to ever play the game. I'm happy to see her back.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Is it too early to say that I'm already hating this season? Waaaaay too gimmicky. Voting off two people immediately without letting them even play the game? Terrible. Ruppert being the big hero, while the other dude didn't do it. Ugggh, I wanted to shoot myself. I hate RI but they had to put it in play immediately? And Rupert's wife at a clear disadvantage having to play with the old timers. I did like the immunity challenge though because it showed the strengths and weaknesses of the tribes. And who's idea was it to have Gervais swimming? IRC on S1 he couldn't swim then.

I'll stick with it probably, but I'm not too optimistic I'm going to enjoy this too much.
Do you hate every show you watch? Why not stop watching them?
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I thought it was really entertaining. I'm not a huge fan of Redemption Island, but if they get rid of it at the merge, I'm fine with it. Especially with the option of people switching places.

Rupert was dumb to switch right from the start though. He doomed both himself and his wife now. If he had stayed, at least his tribe would have accepted him. It seems there's little reason for them to accept Laura now that she's on the other tribe and he's in serious jeopardy.

I do also like the mixed feelings that everybody is getting when winning immunity with their loved ones being in danger. Cruel that they voted out Gervase's loved one for something she didn't do, but I can't wait to see his reaction next week.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
InterMurph

Quote:
And Rupert's wife at a clear disadvantage having to play with the old timers.
She didn't have to play with the old-timers. She is at a disadvantage because Rupert put her there.

Probst tried to explain to Rupert that sacrificing himself comes at a cost to his wife, but he wasn't interested.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
2004raptor

I've never watched survivor with redemption island. Didn't the host mention they would have to compete? When is that? Does the winner go straight to one of the tribes after he/she wins?
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Do you hate every show you watch? Why not stop watching them?
Huh? Not in this case. I'm a Survivor fan, but this season is starting off badly for me.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
stark

Quote:
Don't worry. He threatened to hit Kat with an oar during the challenge. His personality hasn't changed.
stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I've never watched survivor with redemption island. Didn't the host mention they would have to compete? When is that? Does the winner go straight to one of the tribes after he/she wins?
They'll show the RI comp next week. The loser gets eliminated, the winner stays on RI and has to compete again, and again...

I'm not clear if they will eliminate one or two next week. Will the challenges always have 3 players? We'll see.

Whoever survives all the RI comps will reunite with the rest of the players later after the merge probably. So Rupert was to win a bunch of comps to be able to get back in the game. A real long-shot.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
No, usually what happens is 3 people would compete. It will be Rupert, Candace and Gervise's neice (forget her name). The winning 2 will remain on RI and the loser is then out of the game completely. This will continue week after week until at some point the winner will actually go back into the game. That's how it has happened before.

New twist on RI this season:
Spoiler:
The new twist this season on RI is that supposedly loved ones can request to sub in before the competition. Meaning, Gervise could request to sub in to compete instead of his niee. But, that would also then put his niece on the other tribe now.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan

Last edited by bryhamm : 09-19-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: edited to hide the spoiler ... sorry
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
They'll show the RI comp next week. The loser gets eliminated, the winner stays on RI and has to compete again, and again...

I'm not clear if they will eliminate one or two next week. Will the challenges always have 3 players? We'll see.

Whoever survives all the RI comps will reunite with the rest of the players later after the merge probably. So Rupert was to win a bunch of comps to be able to get back in the game. A real long-shot.
That's what they did in the past when there were 3 on RI.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
2004raptor

Thanks to both of you for the RI explanation.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
Martha

I liked it! The twist that the tribes will vote off somebody on their tribe just to spite somebody on the other side is huge! It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Huh? Not in this case. I'm a Survivor fan, but this season is starting off badly for me.
As did last season. Here's your first post from last eseason.

Quote:
I'm getting no buzz from this group of players. Even the "favorites" are a rather boring bunch. Maybe I'm just bored with the game. By the time they to the immunity challenge, all I could think is, why did they stretch this out to 90 minutes? It's the first episode, so maybe it gets better. I think part of the problem is that I've seen so many seasons, I could tell who's going to go based how how much screen time certain survivors get. Francesca got a LOT of screen time early, and it getting it. So by the time they go to the IC, I knew that if the Favs lost, she was going.

And, I really have to stop watching the coming attractions. They REALLY have started giving away WAY too much information.

JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

So what? A couple of bad beginning doesn't mean I won't watch. I've watched since the first season. There's been some great season and some bad ones. I'm not sure what your issue is?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Quote:

So what? A couple of bad beginning doesn't mean I won't watch. I've watched since the first season. There's been some great season and some bad ones. I'm not sure what your issue is?
For me the post would have gone into the annoying thread. Every season, pick your reality show, and after the first EP a few post that new season isn't up to par or whatnot.

What usually happens after a few more show airs that person is all on board and enjoying the show.

Rinse and repeat.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

I can't stand bringing back so many old players. I want to see somebody new, not the same old from previous seasons. Give new players a chance, or have they run out of people that actually apply to be on the show?
knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
I can't stand bringing back so many old players. I want to see somebody new, not the same old from previous seasons. Give new players a chance, or have they run out of people that actually apply to be on the show?
I was thinking that also. Why so many old players all the time? Get some fresh blood. Get some people that learn how to build a fire and know how to survive and how to play the long game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
For me the post would have gone into the annoying thread. Every season, pick your reality show, and after the first EP a few post that new season isn't up to par or whatnot.

What usually happens after a few more show airs that person is all on board and enjoying the show.

Rinse and repeat.
And for every post like that, there's another post where someone really likes it. It's called opinion. These boards would be REALLY boring if everyone just like EVERYTHING.

It's natural, for any series that has multiple seasons (and in this case 20 some odd seasons) to compare one season to the next. Just as you might compare one baseball player to another, or the cheeseburgers at BK to the new improved cheeseburger at Wendys.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I was thinking that also. Why so many old players all the time? Get some fresh blood. Get some people that learn how to build a fire and know how to survive and how to play the long game.
I always think this, but (I guess) the ratings must be better when they have the older, familiar players come back. The problem is, half the time, I don't even remember some of the players they bring back.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
And for every post like that, there's another post where someone really likes it. It's called opinion. These boards would be REALLY boring if everyone just like EVERYTHING.

It's natural, for any series that has multiple seasons (and in this case 20 some odd seasons) to compare one season to the next. Just as you might compare one baseball player to another, or the cheeseburgers at BK to the new improved cheeseburger at Wendys.
You missed my point.

Anyone is entitled to their opinion, my annoyance is that they don't wait until they have a legitimate basis for an informed opinion, like watching more than one episode for example.

Even worse are the negative opinions that are posted before someone even watches a show
Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #30
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegeek View Post
FYP...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote