TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #151
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....
 
eboydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
+1. I have received the $99 offer on three Premiere units in the last 60 days. Make sure you activate with the price that allows you to cancel at any time. In each case I cancelled a few days prior to the end of the first period and the first month price was credited to the $99.
That may have been the issue with the last one that I had denied. When I activated it, I had no option for the more expensive month to month with no commitment. I suspect the box was a upgrade prior for its prior owner were TiVo transferred old service to a new Roamio the same as my old HD TiVo that was upgraded to a Roamio were the new Roamio shows it was activated in 2007 and my old TiVo HD has no history as if was never subscribed.

I might try calling TiVo back and ask explicitly for the $99 lifetime, after the summer update, it might actually be useful again.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Plus (3tb)
TiVo Mini (three)
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #152
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
+1. I have received the $99 offer on three Premiere units in the last 60 days. Make sure you activate with the price that allows you to cancel at any time. In each case I cancelled a few days prior to the end of the first period and the first month price was credited to the $99.
This is consistent with my experiences as well.

Even if a box has 3+ years (or 5+ years) of continuous active service, but that service is transferred to another box, TiVo wipes all history of that original box/TSN ever even having a sub from the records associated with that TSN. It will show in their system as if it never had a sub. It will even disappear from the subscriber's list of boxes, unlike how boxes that simply have had their service discontinued, remain listed (as long as the status is "in good standing" at the time the subscription ends).

Even in the rare event of TiVo allowing a discounted transfer of lifetime service, the same thing happens to the box/TSN, that originally had it.

People often transfer service, rather than cancel and then start new service (even if it saves no money, monthly), in order to not be locked into a new commitment period on the next box/TSN.

The "behind the scenes" break some people get when buying a used TiVo that had prior service, is that the seller may have left TiVo, or not transferred service to another box/TSN. This is how we wind up hearing about people buying a used TiVo, and being offered the discounted service. Given the enormous decline in subs that went from something like 5 million active subs, to just over a half million, and the period in which that decline took place, that would be a logical explanation for non-lifetime boxes which are considered eligible (the owners left TiVo, and simply cancelled service).

Even if you get a used box that doesn't qualify, and have no choice but a commitment period, you still have the money-back satisfaction guarantee period to cancel, without penalties, and also receive all your money back paid for service.

There must be ways for buyers to find out if a used non-lifetime box/TSN is still in the records as having a cancelled (but not transferred sub) in good standing, record. I guess asking the seller the details of how the box became without subscription, as long as they tell the truth, is a start.

A word of caution: TiVo is free to offer and discontinue any discount (public, or behind the scenes) at any time, for any reason. These lifetime offers are always being ended, and then brought back again. Don't count on it coming back again, as there may come a time that it won't. If you get an offer from TiVo, and don't/can't take it at that time, don't be foolish enough to take the CSR's word that the offer will stand, for even a day. Don't buy the "we'll put it in our records that the offer will still be good" line, sometimes given. It will not stand if the period of the offer ends, or it was offered outside the internal (secret) requirements for eligibility.

One thing that bothers me about the discounted lifetime threads are how people state the age of the box, which is irrelevant (on its own). I am bothered by advice, questions, and answers that only cover the age of the box. The same goes for posts asking about the date of manufacture, and people answering based on that alone. It may be a starting point to see if the box/TSN is old enough to even have have had 2 or 3 years worth of service, but still depends on how long between manufacture and having service for the first time. You could buy box that is 5+ years old, that never had service, or only had it for a month. For this reason, the age of the box is utterly unreliable, unless it is too new to have had service for long enough.

It still seems that the most common parameters are still the "norm" for discounted lifetime offers, when available: 2 years of continuous monthly service gets $199 DLTS price, 3 years of continuous monthly service gets $99 DTLS price. As I've already stated, the requirements can change, the unadvertised discounts are not always available, and different CSRs will sometimes give an offer they should not have given (or make promises they can't keep).

As always, best chances of getting the deals are when the service is active, and you are calling to cancel. This still requires you calling when they are offering these deals, and sometimes still depends on the luck of the draw.
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #153
Futureinsights
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 16
I actually got the 199 deal on a replacement box, for a nearly year old 2 tuner no longer good due to signal strength issues. But I called end of December 2013. The best deals are in the holidays. Went from two tuner premiere to 4 tuner with moca. Had already purchased mini with lifetime.
Futureinsights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #154
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....
 
eboydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
This is consistent with my experiences as well.

Even if a box has 3+ years (or 5+ years) of continuous active service, but that service is transferred to another box, TiVo wipes all history of that original box/TSN ever even having a sub from the records associated with that TSN. It will show in their system as if it never had a sub. It will even disappear from the subscriber's list of boxes, unlike how boxes that simply have had their service discontinued, remain listed (as long as the status is "in good standing" at the time the subscription ends).

Even in the rare event of TiVo allowing a discounted transfer of lifetime service, the same thing happens to the box/TSN, that originally had it.

People often transfer service, rather than cancel and then start new service (even if it saves no money, monthly), in order to not be locked into a new commitment period on the next box/TSN.

The "behind the scenes" break some people get when buying a used TiVo that had prior service, is that the seller may have left TiVo, or not transferred service to another box/TSN. This is how we wind up hearing about people buying a used TiVo, and being offered the discounted service. Given the enormous decline in subs that went from something like 5 million active subs, to just over a half million, and the period in which that decline took place, that would be a logical explanation for non-lifetime boxes which are considered eligible (the owners left TiVo, and simply cancelled service).

Even if you get a used box that doesn't qualify, and have no choice but a commitment period, you still have the money-back satisfaction guarantee period to cancel, without penalties, and also receive all your money back paid for service.

There must be ways for buyers to find out if a used non-lifetime box/TSN is still in the records as having a cancelled (but not transferred sub) in good standing, record. I guess asking the seller the details of how the box became without subscription, as long as they tell the truth, is a start.

A word of caution: TiVo is free to offer and discontinue any discount (public, or behind the scenes) at any time, for any reason. These lifetime offers are always being ended, and then brought back again. Don't count on it coming back again, as there may come a time that it won't. If you get an offer from TiVo, and don't/can't take it at that time, don't be foolish enough to take the CSR's word that the offer will stand, for even a day. Don't buy the "we'll put it in our records that the offer will still be good" line, sometimes given. It will not stand if the period of the offer ends, or it was offered outside the internal (secret) requirements for eligibility.

One thing that bothers me about the discounted lifetime threads are how people state the age of the box, which is irrelevant (on its own). I am bothered by advice, questions, and answers that only cover the age of the box. The same goes for posts asking about the date of manufacture, and people answering based on that alone. It may be a starting point to see if the box/TSN is old enough to even have have had 2 or 3 years worth of service, but still depends on how long between manufacture and having service for the first time. You could buy box that is 5+ years old, that never had service, or only had it for a month. For this reason, the age of the box is utterly unreliable, unless it is too new to have had service for long enough.

It still seems that the most common parameters are still the "norm" for discounted lifetime offers, when available: 2 years of continuous monthly service gets $199 DLTS price, 3 years of continuous monthly service gets $99 DTLS price. As I've already stated, the requirements can change, the unadvertised discounts are not always available, and different CSRs will sometimes give an offer they should not have given (or make promises they can't keep).

As always, best chances of getting the deals are when the service is active, and you are calling to cancel. This still requires you calling when they are offering these deals, and sometimes still depends on the luck of the draw.
Yes, TiVo csr told me the TiVo age doesn't matter but rather how long it's been subscribed, also they said there was a limit that if the box had been deactive too long then it not eligible but that is fixed by subscribing it monthly and calling to cancel before it's first 30 days are up. I found a premiere that was over 3 years old but never activated, couldn't do anything to it other than normal subscriptions .
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Plus (3tb)
TiVo Mini (three)
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #155
mobouser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15
Tried to get the 99 dollar special on my 2 tuner under the 30day guarantee. Talked to some guy who spoke using broken English. He wanted to sell me a Romano only did not care about the Premier.
mobouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #156
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Yes, TiVo csr told me the TiVo age doesn't matter but rather how long it's been subscribed, also they said there was a limit that if the box had been deactive too long then it not eligible but that is fixed by subscribing it monthly and calling to cancel before it's first 30 days are up. I found a premiere that was over 3 years old but never activated, couldn't do anything to it other than normal subscriptions .
Even if the only option was monthly with 1yr commitment, you have 30 days to call back and cancel, without penalty, and with refund of what you paid (is how I understand it). I've seen speculation about the deals being offered at times when TiVo wants to add subs, or not lose them (as in there might be a pattern one could try to pick up on).

I think there's a possibility that if you have had service in the past on that unit's TSN on your account, that you would have used-up the 30-day period. I'm curious if this has been verified. I doubt TiVo would let you do it more than once under the same account and the same TSN.

It would not surprise me at all if the end of such "retention" deals is near, even with purchase and sub of a new Roamio. Now that TiVo has their future focused on MSO-partnerships, it's more impressive to potential new partners if they add more people running the Roamio hardware.

If I was a MSO looking at a TiVo partnership, I'd be more impressed by Roamio converts, than old-platform retention deals.

That does bring up something I somehow missed in my prior post... Sometimes the deals are only offered with the criteria I stated, plus a recent addition of a newer model to the account. There have been many deal periods like that, IIRC.
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #157
shwru980r
Registered User
 
shwru980r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,349
I just got the $99 lifetime on a 2 tuner premiere given to me by a coworker. The coworker had used the premiere for 3 years paying monthly. I activated the premiere and called with 4 days left on the 30 day cancellation period. I told the Tivo representative I was cancelling and wanted the $99 lifetime service on the premiere. The representative insisted that was not possible and that I was already getting a discount on the monthly service. After he failed to convince me to keep the monthly service, I was put on hold. The representative returned and offered me the $99 lifetime service.
__________________

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |