Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #151
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
+1. I have received the $99 offer on three Premiere units in the last 60 days. Make sure you activate with the price that allows you to cancel at any time. In each case I cancelled a few days prior to the end of the first period and the first month price was credited to the $99.
That may have been the issue with the last one that I had denied. When I activated it, I had no option for the more expensive month to month with no commitment. I suspect the box was a upgrade prior for its prior owner were TiVo transferred old service to a new Roamio the same as my old HD TiVo that was upgraded to a Roamio were the new Roamio shows it was activated in 2007 and my old TiVo HD has no history as if was never subscribed.

I might try calling TiVo back and ask explicitly for the $99 lifetime, after the summer update, it might actually be useful again.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #152
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
+1. I have received the $99 offer on three Premiere units in the last 60 days. Make sure you activate with the price that allows you to cancel at any time. In each case I cancelled a few days prior to the end of the first period and the first month price was credited to the $99.
This is consistent with my experiences as well.

Even if a box has 3+ years (or 5+ years) of continuous active service, but that service is transferred to another box, TiVo wipes all history of that original box/TSN ever even having a sub from the records associated with that TSN. It will show in their system as if it never had a sub. It will even disappear from the subscriber's list of boxes, unlike how boxes that simply have had their service discontinued, remain listed (as long as the status is "in good standing" at the time the subscription ends).

Even in the rare event of TiVo allowing a discounted transfer of lifetime service, the same thing happens to the box/TSN, that originally had it.

People often transfer service, rather than cancel and then start new service (even if it saves no money, monthly), in order to not be locked into a new commitment period on the next box/TSN.

The "behind the scenes" break some people get when buying a used TiVo that had prior service, is that the seller may have left TiVo, or not transferred service to another box/TSN. This is how we wind up hearing about people buying a used TiVo, and being offered the discounted service. Given the enormous decline in subs that went from something like 5 million active subs, to just over a half million, and the period in which that decline took place, that would be a logical explanation for non-lifetime boxes which are considered eligible (the owners left TiVo, and simply cancelled service).

Even if you get a used box that doesn't qualify, and have no choice but a commitment period, you still have the money-back satisfaction guarantee period to cancel, without penalties, and also receive all your money back paid for service.

There must be ways for buyers to find out if a used non-lifetime box/TSN is still in the records as having a cancelled (but not transferred sub) in good standing, record. I guess asking the seller the details of how the box became without subscription, as long as they tell the truth, is a start.

A word of caution: TiVo is free to offer and discontinue any discount (public, or behind the scenes) at any time, for any reason. These lifetime offers are always being ended, and then brought back again. Don't count on it coming back again, as there may come a time that it won't. If you get an offer from TiVo, and don't/can't take it at that time, don't be foolish enough to take the CSR's word that the offer will stand, for even a day. Don't buy the "we'll put it in our records that the offer will still be good" line, sometimes given. It will not stand if the period of the offer ends, or it was offered outside the internal (secret) requirements for eligibility.

One thing that bothers me about the discounted lifetime threads are how people state the age of the box, which is irrelevant (on its own). I am bothered by advice, questions, and answers that only cover the age of the box. The same goes for posts asking about the date of manufacture, and people answering based on that alone. It may be a starting point to see if the box/TSN is old enough to even have have had 2 or 3 years worth of service, but still depends on how long between manufacture and having service for the first time. You could buy box that is 5+ years old, that never had service, or only had it for a month. For this reason, the age of the box is utterly unreliable, unless it is too new to have had service for long enough.

It still seems that the most common parameters are still the "norm" for discounted lifetime offers, when available: 2 years of continuous monthly service gets $199 DLTS price, 3 years of continuous monthly service gets $99 DTLS price. As I've already stated, the requirements can change, the unadvertised discounts are not always available, and different CSRs will sometimes give an offer they should not have given (or make promises they can't keep).

As always, best chances of getting the deals are when the service is active, and you are calling to cancel. This still requires you calling when they are offering these deals, and sometimes still depends on the luck of the draw.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #153
Futureinsights

I actually got the 199 deal on a replacement box, for a nearly year old 2 tuner no longer good due to signal strength issues. But I called end of December 2013. The best deals are in the holidays. Went from two tuner premiere to 4 tuner with moca. Had already purchased mini with lifetime.
Futureinsights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #154
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
This is consistent with my experiences as well.

Even if a box has 3+ years (or 5+ years) of continuous active service, but that service is transferred to another box, TiVo wipes all history of that original box/TSN ever even having a sub from the records associated with that TSN. It will show in their system as if it never had a sub. It will even disappear from the subscriber's list of boxes, unlike how boxes that simply have had their service discontinued, remain listed (as long as the status is "in good standing" at the time the subscription ends).

Even in the rare event of TiVo allowing a discounted transfer of lifetime service, the same thing happens to the box/TSN, that originally had it.

People often transfer service, rather than cancel and then start new service (even if it saves no money, monthly), in order to not be locked into a new commitment period on the next box/TSN.

The "behind the scenes" break some people get when buying a used TiVo that had prior service, is that the seller may have left TiVo, or not transferred service to another box/TSN. This is how we wind up hearing about people buying a used TiVo, and being offered the discounted service. Given the enormous decline in subs that went from something like 5 million active subs, to just over a half million, and the period in which that decline took place, that would be a logical explanation for non-lifetime boxes which are considered eligible (the owners left TiVo, and simply cancelled service).

Even if you get a used box that doesn't qualify, and have no choice but a commitment period, you still have the money-back satisfaction guarantee period to cancel, without penalties, and also receive all your money back paid for service.

There must be ways for buyers to find out if a used non-lifetime box/TSN is still in the records as having a cancelled (but not transferred sub) in good standing, record. I guess asking the seller the details of how the box became without subscription, as long as they tell the truth, is a start.

A word of caution: TiVo is free to offer and discontinue any discount (public, or behind the scenes) at any time, for any reason. These lifetime offers are always being ended, and then brought back again. Don't count on it coming back again, as there may come a time that it won't. If you get an offer from TiVo, and don't/can't take it at that time, don't be foolish enough to take the CSR's word that the offer will stand, for even a day. Don't buy the "we'll put it in our records that the offer will still be good" line, sometimes given. It will not stand if the period of the offer ends, or it was offered outside the internal (secret) requirements for eligibility.

One thing that bothers me about the discounted lifetime threads are how people state the age of the box, which is irrelevant (on its own). I am bothered by advice, questions, and answers that only cover the age of the box. The same goes for posts asking about the date of manufacture, and people answering based on that alone. It may be a starting point to see if the box/TSN is old enough to even have have had 2 or 3 years worth of service, but still depends on how long between manufacture and having service for the first time. You could buy box that is 5+ years old, that never had service, or only had it for a month. For this reason, the age of the box is utterly unreliable, unless it is too new to have had service for long enough.

It still seems that the most common parameters are still the "norm" for discounted lifetime offers, when available: 2 years of continuous monthly service gets $199 DLTS price, 3 years of continuous monthly service gets $99 DTLS price. As I've already stated, the requirements can change, the unadvertised discounts are not always available, and different CSRs will sometimes give an offer they should not have given (or make promises they can't keep).

As always, best chances of getting the deals are when the service is active, and you are calling to cancel. This still requires you calling when they are offering these deals, and sometimes still depends on the luck of the draw.
Yes, TiVo csr told me the TiVo age doesn't matter but rather how long it's been subscribed, also they said there was a limit that if the box had been deactive too long then it not eligible but that is fixed by subscribing it monthly and calling to cancel before it's first 30 days are up. I found a premiere that was over 3 years old but never activated, couldn't do anything to it other than normal subscriptions .
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #155
mobouser

Tried to get the 99 dollar special on my 2 tuner under the 30day guarantee. Talked to some guy who spoke using broken English. He wanted to sell me a Romano only did not care about the Premier.
mobouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #156
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Yes, TiVo csr told me the TiVo age doesn't matter but rather how long it's been subscribed, also they said there was a limit that if the box had been deactive too long then it not eligible but that is fixed by subscribing it monthly and calling to cancel before it's first 30 days are up. I found a premiere that was over 3 years old but never activated, couldn't do anything to it other than normal subscriptions .
Even if the only option was monthly with 1yr commitment, you have 30 days to call back and cancel, without penalty, and with refund of what you paid (is how I understand it). I've seen speculation about the deals being offered at times when TiVo wants to add subs, or not lose them (as in there might be a pattern one could try to pick up on).

I think there's a possibility that if you have had service in the past on that unit's TSN on your account, that you would have used-up the 30-day period. I'm curious if this has been verified. I doubt TiVo would let you do it more than once under the same account and the same TSN.

It would not surprise me at all if the end of such "retention" deals is near, even with purchase and sub of a new Roamio. Now that TiVo has their future focused on MSO-partnerships, it's more impressive to potential new partners if they add more people running the Roamio hardware.

If I was a MSO looking at a TiVo partnership, I'd be more impressed by Roamio converts, than old-platform retention deals.

That does bring up something I somehow missed in my prior post... Sometimes the deals are only offered with the criteria I stated, plus a recent addition of a newer model to the account. There have been many deal periods like that, IIRC.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #157
shwru980r

I just got the $99 lifetime on a 2 tuner premiere given to me by a coworker. The coworker had used the premiere for 3 years paying monthly. I activated the premiere and called with 4 days left on the 30 day cancellation period. I told the Tivo representative I was cancelling and wanted the $99 lifetime service on the premiere. The representative insisted that was not possible and that I was already getting a discount on the monthly service. After he failed to convince me to keep the monthly service, I was put on hold. The representative returned and offered me the $99 lifetime service.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #158
squint

I just upgraded my last monthly Premiere to lifetime for $99. It'd been subscribed since Sept. 2011 and for awhile I wasn't even getting the MSD because I didn't select it from the drop-down menu on tivo.com.

It was a quick and smooth process. I just said I had one last monthly TiVo that I wanted to convert to lifetime. I didn't have to threaten to cancel but I have several lifetime TiVos not currently in use so had they offered $199 lifetime I would have canceled and just setup one of those lifetime TiVos.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #159
advocate2

Having purchased several Premiers in the hope of converting to lifetime, and leaving them boxed in my garage because of non eligibility, I never purchase a Tivo without getting the Tivo service number, going to the Tivo website and trying the activation procedure. If I get the message allowing month to month service at $14.99, it's ok to buy. Any other message and I pass. Sellers often do not know the implications of a transferred subscription to a new box.

I had an Ebay seller insist that his box already had lifetime on a new, never opened Premier XL. I did not get the proper message, called Tivo and found out that someone was paying month to month service on this box. Since the seller did not know how to transfer service, I smelled a rat and passed.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #160
dcline414

I think we have gotten to the point that we really do need more than two tuners (yes, even with just OTA) and want to upgrade our Premiere to a Roamio OTA.

My understanding is that our Premiere has little to no resale value unless the box is sold with lifetime service, but it appears a 3-year-old 2-tuner 320gb Premiere in good condition with lifetime service should sell for $250+ on eBay. So if we pay $99 (or even $199) for lifetime service, we should break even on an upgrade to the Roamio OTA, and continue paying the same $15 per month for service on better hardware.

We were new Tivo customers when we got the Premiere 33 months ago, and have now paid a total of $590 for monthly service on this unit:

Tivo Account History

A few newbie questions for any of you Tivo gurus that might be willing to share their wisdom:

Is this purely a targeted customer retention offer or are there notes on all accounts indicating what incentives (if any) they qualify for? We are happy with Tivo and have no plans to cancel, so I would prefer not to make empty cancellation threats or feign outrage and demand a supervisor in order to find out about getting lifetime service.

Is this something that any Tivo customer service rep would know about and be able to check if we qualify? If the rep doesn't offer the $99 lifetime service deal or only offers it at $199, is there any point in calling back and asking a different rep, or will they all say the same thing?

If we are able to get lifetime service on the Premiere, what is the best way to activate a new Roamio and remove/transfer our current box? Do we need to overlap service and pay $15 for each box for a month in order to start using the new Roamio before selling our current Premiere?

Should I sell the Premiere with the 1TB drive we installed or reinstall the original 320gb drive and keep the larger drive to use with the new box?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!
dcline414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #161
SVTarHeel

Quote:
Having purchased several Premiers in the hope of converting to lifetime, and leaving them boxed in my garage because of non eligibility, I never purchase a Tivo without getting the Tivo service number, going to the Tivo website and trying the activation procedure. If I get the message allowing month to month service at $14.99, it's ok to buy. Any other message and I pass.
Is this method available for someone without a TiVo account? I have a craigslist-bought 320GB Premiere with 3+ years of monthly service and would like to avoid any pitfalls I can in determining the possibility of $99 lifetime for it. (The full story is 2 pages here.)
SVTarHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #162
timatkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post

Tivo Account History

A few newbie questions for any of you Tivo gurus that might be willing to share their wisdom:

Is this purely a targeted customer retention offer or are there notes on all accounts indicating what incentives (if any) they qualify for? We are happy with Tivo and have no plans to cancel, so I would prefer not to make empty cancellation threats or feign outrage and demand a supervisor in order to find out about getting lifetime service.

Is this something that any Tivo customer service rep would know about and be able to check if we qualify? If the rep doesn't offer the $99 lifetime service deal or only offers it at $199, is there any point in calling back and asking a different rep, or will they all say the same thing?

If we are able to get lifetime service on the Premiere, what is the best way to activate a new Roamio and remove/transfer our current box? Do we need to overlap service and pay $15 for each box for a month in order to start using the new Roamio before selling our current Premiere?

Should I sell the Premiere with the 1TB drive we installed or reinstall the original 320gb drive and keep the larger drive to use with the new box?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!
As far as getting the Lifetime for $99 on the premiere just call and ask. I did that yesterday, no threats just asked if I qualified. I don't know what the qualifications are exactly but she look dingo my account and offered me the deal. When you call go to the cancellation line but you don't need to threaten them to cancel if you don't feel up to it--just ask.

T
timatkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #163
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatkn View Post
As far as getting the Lifetime for $99 on the premiere just call and ask. I did that yesterday, no threats just asked if I qualified. I don't know what the qualifications are exactly but she look dingo my account and offered me the deal. When you call go to the cancellation line but you don't need to threaten them to cancel if you don't feel up to it--just ask.

T
Thanks.

I tried asking a live chat support rep today and he said they aren't allowed to discuss targeted offers unless you call in and speak to someone directly. I asked if he could save me the call if he knew I wouldn't qualify after 33 months of service and he responded with a vague assurance that they offer all sorts of special deals for long term customers.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #164
shwru980r

It's been mentioned before that activating the premiere with monthly service and then cancelling near the end of the 30 days gives you more leverage when negotiating the $99 lifetime deal. It worked for me.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #165
timatkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
Thanks.

I tried asking a live chat support rep today and he said they aren't allowed to discuss targeted offers unless you call in and speak to someone directly. I asked if he could save me the call if he knew I wouldn't qualify after 33 months of service and he responded with a vague assurance that they offer all sorts of special deals for long term customers.
Sorry wasn't following the thread. I tried through chat first as well, same response as you. Have to call to find out.

T
timatkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #166
lujan

I called twice and both times they told me that since I didn't buy my TiVo from TiVo, they can only charge the $399.00. I was told that it is TiVo policy. I bought my Premiere from Amazon. Why do they allow other vendors to sell them if they're going to penalize the customer when they want to get lifetime service?
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #167
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I called twice and both times they told me that since I didn't buy my TiVo from TiVo, they can only charge the $399.00.
Oh wow, can't believe this detail hasn't been mentioned before if it's really Tivo policy... ours came from Costco, so I guess we're SOL too.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #168
MeInDallas

Quote:
I called twice and both times they told me that since I didn't buy my TiVo from TiVo, they can only charge the $399.00. I was told that it is TiVo policy. I bought my Premiere from Amazon. Why do they allow other vendors to sell them if they're going to penalize the customer when they want to get lifetime service?
This isnt true. You need to play customer service roulette and talk to some different people. The boxes I got the $99 lifetime on I bought from Yogi Computers on Ebay. He sells on Amazon too.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #169
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
This isnt true. You need to play customer service roulette and talk to some different people. The boxes I got the $99 lifetime on I bought from Yogi Computers on Ebay. He sells on Amazon too.
Well I guess it's just true for me. This is my situation and maybe it differs a lot from yours and that's why you were able to get it? I already have 2 premieres with lifetime service. The third premiere was purchased from Amazon and that's the one that they won't give me lifetime on for $99.00. It is $399.00 and this time I spoke with one of the supervisors at TiVo.
6 DVD
Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #170
MeInDallas

I still think you should try some other reps. It's never made any sense to me how one rep can say no to a $99 lifetime, and then in an hour or the next day another rep can give it to you.

I had a guy from Tivo argue with me one time saying this website was all B.S. and dont pay any attention to what I read here, and he said he was a supervisor. Then I started reading off the names of the support staff that posted here and his response was "oh . . ." Tivo has always been like that though with me when I had to deal with them. I could go on and on about it.

I wouldnt give up if I were you Wait a week and try again.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #171
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
They're not penalizing anybody, their default price for Lifetime is $399 for existing Tivo customers, and it's $499 for new customers. So existing customers get an automatic $100 discount regardless of who they bought the Tivo from (be it new or used).

The people here that are getting the $99 deal are getting something very special and rare. Keep calling back until you get a rep willing to give you that deal.

Premiere 2TB, Series3 OLED w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, URC R40 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #172
SVTarHeel

I called in this past week, attempting to get $99 lifetime on the 320GB Premiere I got from craigslist. The rep said that, since the previous owner closed her account, all history of this unit was wiped away, so the previous 3+ years of monthly service don't matter at all. He told me that she was never eligible for $99 like she told me, just $199 (I guess it's possible she got the numbers confused). He also said that he'd been there for years and had seen it all and that there was NO WAY to get $99 lifetime on this unit since it wasn't old enough - that offer was mainly for series 3s.

At this point, I'm leaning toward trying to downgrade my DirecTV package - or see if I can get some discounts - and cutting my losses with my TiVo experiment. One last gasp may be that I saw where someone mentioned that the end-of-quarter time frame may yield better offers. My month-long trial ends Nov 6th, so I'll probably call back near the end of this month to see if cancelling during my initial 30-days of service yields anything.
SVTarHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #173
JayBird

Bottom line question... I have a NEW Premiere XL4 I ordered from Amazon (actually from Weaknees, fulfilled by Amazon) which I haven't activated yet (I'm waiting for completion of an equipment closet before it will get installed and hooked up). As a long time TiVo customer (assuming that carries any weight) who is responsible for the purchase of around 15 TiVos throughout my family over the years, is there any deal available other than the $399 for MSD I can get for my new Premiere?
HTPC w/ Ceton InifiniTV4 (4 TB)
Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver
Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma HDTV
Logitech Harmony One remote
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #174
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
Bottom line question... I have a NEW Premiere XL4 I ordered from Amazon (actually from Weaknees, fulfilled by Amazon) which I haven't activated yet (I'm waiting for completion of an equipment closet before it will get installed and hooked up). As a long time TiVo customer (assuming that carries any weight) who is responsible for the purchase of around 15 TiVos throughout my family over the years, is there any deal available other than the $399 for MSD I can get for my new Premiere?
If you are asking about lifetime on a new TiVo, that is the best deal I have seen so no, nothing better is available as far as I know. The $99 deal discussed here is available only as a result of several years of monthly or annual subscriptions for a given TiVo. No monthly deal I have seen is anything I would consider superior to a $400 lifetime purchase.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #175
manfromnowhere

Thanks to this thread I was armed with a lot of info. I've (stupidly) been paying monthly on my TiVo for almost 7 years now. I got my rate down to the retention $9.95 MSD rate despite having only my one TiVo, and tried a year or two ago to get the $99 lifetime and was turned down. Honestly.. I didn't think I'd use my TiVo much but now I can't live without it!

My TiVo HD recently had a dead hard drive - which I just replaced and am now doing a 'clear and delete all' since I used a fresh image. Anyhow, after reading this thread I called again and now have $99 lifetime service!

I called and said:
1. I'd like to know if my TiVo HD qualifies for the $99 lifetime service offer (true)
2. My cable company is offering a free DVR for two years, then $15/mo like TiVo, but I would like to save $ now and see what's available at the end of the two years (true)
3. I'd like to stay with TiVo so what are my options? (true)

The lady looked over my account and no haggling, offered me $99 lifetime service on the spot. I of course took her up on it and already got the email confirmation. It was really fast. Thanks for everyone who contributed!

Next step: reactivating my oldddd TiVo S2 DT and trying to get $99 lifetime on it. Wish me luck!
manfromnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #176
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromnowhere View Post
Next step: reactivating my oldddd TiVo S2 DT and trying to get $99 lifetime on it. Wish me luck!
I would suggest just buying a used TiVo with lifetime, another TiVoHD or Premiere, rather than adding lifetime to an S2 of any kind at $99.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #177
lujan

I think it's a lot easier for those of you that have paid monthly service for a while and then ask for the $99 lifetime. They have already made money from those of you paying the monthly service prior to getting lifetime. For those like me that have never paid any service at all and then want to get the $99 lifetime are SOL.
6 DVD
Old 10-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #178
manfromnowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I would suggest just buying a used TiVo with lifetime, another TiVoHD or Premiere, rather than adding lifetime to an S2 of any kind at $99.
I ended up finding a cheap S2 with lifetime. Guess not many folks have a use for a TiVo like that. Perfect for my use though.. It'll be hooked up to a TV with basic cable. The TV is basically used to stream online content but it would be nice to have a TV guide and be able to record some shows. Not enough use to justify a more expensive box but a cheap S2 with lifetime is worth it.

I actually bought another TiVo HD but it has a bulging capacitor . Never soldered before but I'm pretty handy. I work on our cars and computers, but I've never soldered. Maybe I'll try and fix it and activate it. Thankfully my own TiVo HD has no outwardly visible problems with its capacitors, even after 7 years.

I'm really happy to have my TiVo back. AND it now has a 1TB drive. I was always running out of space on the original 160GB drive.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #179
JasonD

To me paying $200 for an upgrade to a Tivo Premiere is definately worth it. I don't understand why everyone is stuck on the $99 dollar thing.

Jason
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #180
manfromnowhere

Decided to jump on a TiVo Premiere w/ lifetime service for $195 shipped. The S2 I bought was underquoted on shipping so the total actually came to $85 shipped. The seller offered to cancel the transaction which I think I will do. I decided that was a bit much for such an old TiVo.. one that uses a PATA hard drive! At least the Premiere is much newer, takes a standard SATA hard drive, and has much higher resale value though I think we'll use it till I can't fix it. The Premiere I bought comes with the wireless G adapter, HDMI cable, Glo remote, and of course the lifetime service.

I hope transferring the lifetime to me isn't a pain. I'm buying it off Amazon. I don't know if the seller notified TiVo or how that works, so hopefully they'll get back to me if I need them to do the transfer. They did advertise it as having lifetime service so I would assume they know they need to transfer that over.