TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #91
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Just got off the phone with Tivo and found a little more detail about the offers for lifetime service esp relating to those who have purchased used Premieres.

One key on inactive Premieres is that they must be less than 30 days active, if they have been inactive for more then most likely they won't be eligible for $99 or $199 lifetime service.

I have 3 Premieres and all of them had been inactive for longer than 30 days and the best off for lifetime service was at the $399 multi-discount fee which is NUTS!

As I explained to the rep. there is no way I can justify spending $400 on lifetime service on 4-5 year old Tivo and I guess I'm going to take the power supplies and hard drives out and throw them out. might be a interest later in the parts as Tivo has no interest in re-subscribing them at a affordable rate as being inactive for more than 30 days they don't even qualify for the less expensive monthly rate.

A word of advice for anyone selling used ones, it would be worth more in resale value for you to keep them on you account active if possible rather than take them off and let them sit while you look for a buyer, I thought for sure the ones I had hadn't been inactive for very long but then again 30 days isn't that long but the ones I have are of no value as if I going to even pay the regular monthly rate, I would buy a refurbished 4 tuner Premiere from the Tivo outlet store online.

After being a 20 minute call to Tivo. I really question what their successful business plan is, granted the new Roameo is a good Tivo but they old Tivo are going to filling up the landfill at this rate since Tivo has very little interest in used Tivos.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #92
jrtroo
User

They have to draw the line someplace, and you are just on the wrong side of that line.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #93
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Yea, I know. I was willing to pay $199 but instead they won't get anything but I do know I'm not giving up and I will try a couple more call in before I call it quits since there is a history of different customer service reps giving different deals.

One thing weird, one of the used Tivo I called in apparently had no service history which I found odd which implies someone had it and never activated it.
TiVo Premiere

Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #94
jrtroo
User

I just got a $199 offer on a used box I purchased for $25, not too shabby.

What I did was to go onto monthly service, wait a few weeks, and then cancel. Box was only two years old, so they would/could (i tried) not offer the $99.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #95
Shagger

I was able to get the $99 lifetime service instantly when I mentioned getting a dvr, eBay, resell on my 3+ year old Premiere. Thanks to all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #96
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Two weeks ago (3/3/14) I called Tivo and told them that I would like to buy my friend's Tivo Basic (TCD746320). My friend was on the line with me. His Tivo is less than 3 years old...activated on 7/7/11 (see attached pic of my tivo.com account), but he has been regularly paying his monthly fee every month since then. So at this point he only had it activated for 2 years 8 months.

I asked how much would it cost for the lifetime and was told $199. I balked and said I would not pay $200 for a 3-year old tivo, since I already had a Tivo Premiere and this was meant to be an additional Tivo. I said I would only buy his tivo off him if the lifetime was offered at $99. After she played the game of "let me look into what I can do", she then came back a few minutes later and said, yes.

SO - this whole thing of at least 3-years of subscription to avail of the $99 lifetime is nonsense. It is really arbitrary and up to them. I can see that it may need to be at least 2 years on month-to-month subscription or even close to 3-years but as my case proved, it doesn't need to be full 3-years to avail of $99 lifetime. But if this is your first or only tivo, your leverage may be less.

BTW, the Roamio (in pic) is not mine any longer though it is listed under me for some reason . I bought the Roamio to avail of MSD on lifetime and then sold it to this same friend who donated me his Tivo Basic, the one I got $99 lifetime for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LifetimeTivo.jpg (48.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Cybernut : 03-16-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #97
wbrightfl

I just cancelled my TIVO service and was told I am 2 months away from getting the special $99 lifetime offer. I cancelled anyway. Bright House cable finally released a High Def user interface and programming guide, which is now in the same league as the TIVO UI/Programming guide, so I went back to the BH Cisco DVR, which doesn't have popup ads and gives me access to On Demand functions which the TIVO did not. I would have kept my TIVO active if it was an all-in-one box, but its not. I use ROKU for streaming since TIVO doesn't offer Amazon Prime so there wasn't really a need to stay wit TIVO. I have loved my TIVO DVR but they haven't kept up with the times, letting the cable companies improve their DVRs and software to better compete.

Anyway, the cancellation was quick and painless.
wbrightfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #98
jrtroo
User

Goodbye. You let the cableco win.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #99
tarheelblue32

You are dead to me.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #100
eric102

Don't worry, he'll be back after a few months with a cable co. DVR.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #101
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrightfl View Post
I just cancelled my TIVO service and was told I am 2 months away from getting the special $99 lifetime offer. I cancelled anyway. Bright House cable finally released a High Def user interface and programming guide, which is now in the same league as the TIVO UI/Programming guide, so I went back to the BH Cisco DVR, which doesn't have popup ads and gives me access to On Demand functions which the TIVO did not. I would have kept my TIVO active if it was an all-in-one box, but its not. I use ROKU for streaming since TIVO doesn't offer Amazon Prime so there wasn't really a need to stay wit TIVO. I have loved my TIVO DVR but they haven't kept up with the times, letting the cable companies improve their DVRs and software to better compete.

Anyway, the cancellation was quick and painless.
With lifetime, you could sell for maybe $300, without you'll be lucky to get $50.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #102
ejuand

$99 Lifetime on Premiere

I upgraded to a Roamio.
Kept the premier active to transfer season passes.
I called to cancel and they offered me the lifetime for $99.
I had the dvr for 2 yrs 11 months.
ejuand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #103
tivoboy

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejuand View Post
I upgraded to a Roamio.
A bit OT but is there a link to the process to do the SP transfer?

When you setup the romaio and the premier was on the same network, were you able to transfer any shows?
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #104
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
A bit OT but is there a link to the process to do the SP transfer?

When you setup the romaio and the premier was on the same network, were you able to transfer any shows?
https://tivo.com/apps/login/show.do?...Fapps%2Fspm.do
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #105
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejuand View Post
I upgraded to a Roamio.
Thank you ejuand. Yet another example of less than 3 years of subscription to get $99 lifetime. In my case it was 2 years 8 months.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #106
d_bondi

I have 2 TiVo Premieres, and called TiVo and spoke with a CSR on 03/03/2014.

The first has been on yearly subscription for 4 years and is renewing in a few months, the second has been on yearly subscription for 3 years and had just renewed for the 4th a little over 30 days before my call to TiVo.

The short/quick response when I told them I was considering everything from cancelling to switching to a new Roamio, was we can sell you a Roamio at a reduced ($179) price and allow you to switch an existing plan over. That wasn't bad since they no longer offer the yearly plan, but not a great offer. The next was to offer $199 for Lifetime Service. Again, OK, but not special, I had received this offer via email recently.

I pointed out that if I switched to a new Roamio or cancelled, they would receive no more revenue from the Premieres and told them I had heard of offers of $99 Lifetime Service. After a bit more discussion on that topic, the rep asked if I could hold and checked a few things. With a supervisor, I would assume. When she returned, she told me that they could offer me the $99 Lifetime Service on both of my Premiere boxes. I said great, and then asked if they could do that on the one that had just recently renewed the yearly subscription (my second box). The trick here is that the 30 day "change your mind" window had expired by 3 days. After more extended hold, she returned and indicated that they could in fact do that.

Within a day, my second box showed Lifetime Service. The first box is up for renewal in May, and my TiVo account shows that it is scheduled for $99 Lifetime Service.

So.... Thanks to all the good discussion here in the TiVo Community Forum, I had the opportunity to get my facts and thoughts straight before making the call and ending with a successful outcome.

Thanks !!

Last edited by d_bondi : 03-24-2014 at 02:38 AM.
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #107
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bondi View Post
I have 2 TiVo Premieres, and called TiVo and spoke with a CSR on 03/03/2014.

The first has been on yearly subscription for 4 years and is renewing in a few months, the second has been on yearly subscription for 3 years and had just renewed for the 4th a little over 30 days before my call to TiVo.

The short/quick response when I told them I was considering everything from cancelling to switching to a new Roamio, was we can sell you a Roamio at a reduced ($179) price and allow you to switch an existing plan over. That wasn't bad since they no longer offer the yearly plan, but not a great offer. The next was to offer $199 for Lifetime Service. Again, OK, but not special, I had received this offer via email recently.

I pointed out that if I switched to a new Roamio or cancelled, they would receive no more revenue from the Premieres and told them I had heard of offers of $99 Lifetime Service. After a bit more discussion on that topic, the rep asked if I could hold and checked a few things. With a supervisor, I would assume. When she returned, she told me that they could offer me the $99 Lifetime Service on both of my Premiere boxes. I said great, and then asked if they could do that on the one that had just recently renewed the yearly subscription (my second box). The trick here is that the 30 day "change your mind" window had expired by 3 days. After more extended hold, she returned and indicated that they could in fact do that.

Within a day, my second box showed Lifetime Service. The first box is up for renewal in May, and my TiVo account shows that it is scheduled for $99 Lifetime Service.

So.... Thanks to all the good discussion here in the TiVo Community Forum, I had the opportunity to get my facts and thoughts straight before making the call and ending with a successful outcome.

Thanks !!
<montgomeryburns> "Excellent" </montgomeryburns>

Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #108
tivoboy

Well, after spending 6-8 hours on the weekend to get a comcast cable card working on a new roamio, I managed to get everything sorted with Tivo.

I HATE the fact that I wasn't able to put the boxes in service for a couple months (due to work and the death of a friend) and therefore, wasn't able to pick the actual plans I wanted for the roamio and tivos. Annoying thing was, I ordered three minis back in jan. Originally, I ordered two (put them in my in-box online with my advisory panel coupon) and added lifetime to them. Then, went back and added a third mini. Well, or course it didn't get the lifetime added to it at the time or purchase. Not really sure how I missed that. So, it was billing at 5.99$ till this weekend when I managed to get everything in. Had to work to get a couple months billing credit back since what I wanted all along was lifetime on them.

The second thing was. I was taking one premier off an annual (which was going to bill in a few days) and I THOUGHT that since I had a premier with an annual on my account, I was going to be able to put the ANNUAL plan on the new Roamio that I bought from tivo. Well, no can do. ANNUAL plans are no longer available and even though it's a legacy MSD account and all, I can't put that plan on the new Roamio. They did essentially offer me the 99$ lifetime on the premier, which I took - even though I'm a TAD concerned with the FAN on that box, but I can probably repair that easily..

So, in the end. 8 hours on the phone with comcast and 20 minutes on the phone with tivo and it should be good or a while.

Now, need to figure out what to do with the lifetime premiers.? IF a box is listed as the MSD qualifying device, what happens if it is taken off the account?
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #109
d_bondi

While I was talking to the TiVo CSR (which eventually got me $99 lifetime on both Premieres), she offered to sell me a new Roamio and allow me to transfer my Annual Plan from one of my Premieres to that new Roamio.

So.... you might want to take another run at them.
Premiere Lifetime (1TB DVR Expander)

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #110
truman861

I was offered $99.00 for the series 3 and $199.00 for the premiers but after buying a new roamio plus $399 and 3 minis at $100.00 each, i'm all tapped out. I dont have a money tree unfortunately and the funds just arent there.

Roamio Plus (Master)
3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
3 x Premiers (retired)
Tivo series 3 HD (retired)
Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
MoCA
CC: Cisco PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #111
Mgalin

Offer

Bought a new Pro, Support offered me 99$ PLSR on my Elite that was active for 2.25 yrs.. Not bad... Family member going to be using it. Pays to be nice to them!
Mgalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #112
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
I was offered $99.00 for the series 3 and $199.00 for the premiers but after buying a new roamio plus $399 and 3 minis at $100.00 each, i'm all tapped out. I dont have a money tree unfortunately and the funds just arent there.

Roamio Plus (Master)
3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
3 x Premiers (retired)
Tivo series 3 HD (retired)
Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
MoCA
CC: Cisco PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios
If you take those lifetime offers, you can sell the machines for more than you spent on lifetime for them, especially the S3, since having lifetime increases their value above the current scrap/parts machine value.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #113
Sockmonkey

I bought a Roamio and two minis.
I called to cancel my month-to-month Premier and S3. I was offered lifetime for $199 on the Premier and $99 on the S3.

The question is, will lifetime on either of these increase the resale value by more than I'm paying?
Sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #114
jrtroo
User

Yes, that is exactly what happened.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #115
swak

I was having some issues with my Premiere so I ordered a Roamio with a $75 off coupon I found on slickdeals. I called yesterday to cancell my subscription on the Premiere (hoping I would be offered the $99 upgrade) I was offered to upgrade for $199. I said I'd return the roamio unless I could get the $99 offer. They said ok as long as I kept the roamio for at least 30 days (suppose so I couldn't return it). BTW, my premiere's age is 2 years and 2 months.
swak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #116
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Just go lifetime on one of my Premieres, it a surprise as it was a used unit that I bought cheap that hasn't been active for sometime and when I first called to subscribe it I was told that it had been inactive too long and wasn't eligible. I ended up adding it to my account on a monthly basis and I called today to cancel it since I was adding a Roamio.

Since I added the Roamio for a 1 yer commitment, they gave me lifetime on the Premiere for $99 minus the $14.99 that I had already payed since it was less than 30 days since I activated it!!

I'm tickeled pink, now I'm tempted to activate another permeire I have that was ineligible and see if I can get lifetime for it but I believe my loophole was that I was activating a Roamio and not that the previously ineligible Premeire had been added back into service.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I suspect I will sell it since I don't need another cable card fee or I guess I could cancel my Roamio before 30 days are up and add it back in few months after I activate another of my other inelgible Premeires I have laying around????
TiVo Premiere

Old 04-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #117
ftg

(First post.)

I want to thank the TiVoCommunity and give my experience on getting the $99 lifetime deal.

I got a letter in January from TiVo letting me know that my annual subscription was coming due and they were offering a lifetime discount. I misread the offer and when I checked online I found it really wasn't all that great.

I came here to see what other deals might be available and found out that a lot of lifetimed Series 3 and 4s were being sold cheap due to the $99 deal and other factors. So I went shopping on eBay and got a lifetimed Premiere for a remarkably low price.

After that got transferred, etc., I called TiVo, did the "thinking about cancelling" bit on my HD (expanded to 1TB) and got the $99 lifetime deal. (I had bought the HD used, not sure if it was on my account for the 3 years.)

Sweet.

So I now have two lifetimed units and no more annual fees for a total cost about what others seem to be paying for a lifetimed Premiere.

Returned my remaining DTAs, retired my ReplayTV to the basement. (Where it joins a Series 2.) Now, all I have to do is convince Comcast to charge me the right fee and set up the cable card right. It might take a year or two for that to happen.

Thanks again, folks.
ftg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #118
krtnheaz

Angry Lesson learned....

So I upgraded to a Roamio, service transferred from my old Premiere that I've had for 3+ years. When I was on the phone ordering my Roamio the CSR told me that they would be offering me a $99 lifetime deal on my premiereAt this point I'm a happy guy. Fast forward 5 days and when I'm on the phone with Tivo completing the transfer to the Roamio and setting that up I ask about the lifetime deal.... NO dice, I give them my case number and they look that up - apparently there weren't any notes written down by the first CSR and they weren't offering that deal right now. Little 'effen irritated by that one since it was something they brought up. Not sure if I have the patience to play CSR roulette.... Lesson learned is to make sure if it's ever mentioned that it is written down in their notes before hanging up...>AAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!!
krtnheaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #119
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by krtnheaz View Post
So I upgraded to a Roamio, service transferred from my old Premiere that I've had for 3+ years. When I was on the phone ordering my Roamio the CSR told me that they would be offering me a $99 lifetime deal on my premiereAt this point I'm a happy guy. Fast forward 5 days and when I'm on the phone with Tivo completing the transfer to the Roamio and setting that up I ask about the lifetime deal.... NO dice, I give them my case number and they look that up - apparently there weren't any notes written down by the first CSR and they weren't offering that deal right now. Little 'effen irritated by that one since it was something they brought up. Not sure if I have the patience to play CSR roulette.... Lesson learned is to make sure if it's ever mentioned that it is written down in their notes before hanging up...>AAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!!
If I was you, I would call back go though the close account phone tree option and threaten to cancel the Roamio, as long as it been less than 30 days since you added the Roamio, you will have bargaining power. If I can buy a used Premiere on eBay, have it a active for less than 30 days and then get lifetime for $99, you should be able to get lifetime for $99 for yours!

Call back, don't give up on that one!
TiVo Premiere

Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #120
dnorth12

Quote:
Originally Posted by krtnheaz View Post
I had an issue about being promised a lifetime a few months ago by a csr. In a later conversation with another csr I wanted to take advantage of the offer and was told that it didn't exist. Gave them my case number and I believe a manager listened to a recording of the conversation and we split the difference in cost.
dnorth12 is offline   Reply With Quote