TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Tivolition
Early Adopter

Thumbs down XFINITY On Demand User Interface: the worst

Anyone else hate the Tivo XFINITY On Demand user interface? All the drilling down and menu navigation. Why do they have separate menus for HD and SD? That should be a preference stored in the configuration you set and forget. It's particularly bad for watching the next show in a TV series. Why can't it at least put the most recently rented TV series at the top of the list? Instead you have to drill down like you've never watched it before. It doesn't tell you which shows have been watched once the rental expires.

FOr TV shows, it should remember the last show watched and provide a link to the next show in the series or at least back to the list of shows from that season.

The Tivo Search is the only work-around to save a few button pushes, but it's still a lot of navigation to get back to the next show in a series. It's great to have On Demand available on the Tivo, but man what a bad interface.

Last edited by Tivolition : 06-28-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Tivolition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Have you used a comcast box? What did you expect? Contact the owner of the app, comcrap!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

its actually pretty much exactly like it looks on Motorola boxes, unless they have updated it in the last year (not likely, since they want everyone to switch to X1)
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
chiguy50

I'm not terribly interested in VOD, but my biggest complaint when I do use the Xfinity VOD on my TiVo Premiere is that the shows fail to play about 50% of the time. When it fails, I get various messages essentially telling me to try again later (or even to reboot my box). Usually, I can get another show to play immediately afterward or go back to the original show somewhat later and it will play successfully.

I don't know whether my 3Mbs DSL connection is partly responsible, but it is an irritating glitch.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
I'm not terribly interested in VOD, but my biggest complaint when I do use the Xfinity VOD on my TiVo Premiere is that the shows fail to play about 50% of the time. When it fails, I get various messages essentially telling me to try again later (or even to reboot my box). Usually, I can get another show to play immediately afterward or go back to the original show somewhat later and it will play successfully.

I don't know whether my 3Mbs DSL connection is partly responsible, but it is an irritating glitch.
Welcome to Comcast. Just about every time I try to use VOD on my cable box I get an error and have to call customer service to get it to work. I wouldn't expect anything different on Tivo.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i hate the gui too, but rarely have i seen an error in tivo (maybe twice since launch in our market). comcast has never redesigned it from the original launch as far as i can tell. come to think of it, i can't name another gui in widespread use for 10 years without a makeover.

comcast supports their vod gui with the same effort they place into everything they do...very little, focused on what they want, and not focused on the customer or users at all. i'm just glad it's in english and not filipino.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Tivolition
Early Adopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Have you used a comcast box? What did you expect? Contact the owner of the app, comcrap!
I switched to the Tivo XL4 after suffering with the Comcast DVR for too long. I had hoped that Tivo would enforce better UI standards on their box. I guess not.
Tivolition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
Bigg

I don't hate it one bit. Because I have a TiVo, so I have no use for XoD! What is the big draw of XoD? You have a TiVo. USE IT!

I played with it a bit when it first came out just to see how it worked, and I got the cardio.gsm error like half the time, but often I'd left-arrow out of that, and then the show would play. Bizarre. I haven't been in that app in months.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I don't hate it one bit. Because I have a TiVo, so I have no use for XoD! What is the big draw of XoD? You have a TiVo. USE IT!

I played with it a bit when it first came out just to see how it worked, and I got the cardio.gsm error like half the time, but often I'd left-arrow out of that, and then the show would play. Bizarre. I haven't been in that app in months.
One rather useful feature is when the sucky TiVo Roamio Pro fails to record something, at least it has Xfinitiy on Demand support to be able to watch it later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I don't hate it one bit. Because I have a TiVo, so I have no use for XoD! What is the big draw of XoD?
  • hbo
  • watching shows that aren't available to record, but are on vod
  • picking up missed shows due to guide or recording errors
  • watching shows again after you've already deleted the recording
  • picking up first episodes of new shows you missed setting a sp
  • picking up episodes of shows you don't normally record (after online stories or comments peak your interest)

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
One rather useful feature is when the sucky TiVo Roamio Pro fails to record something, at least it has Xfinitiy on Demand support to be able to watch it later.
Huh? TiVo is extremely reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
  • hbo
  • watching shows that aren't available to record, but are on vod
  • picking up missed shows due to guide or recording errors
  • watching shows again after you've already deleted the recording
  • picking up first episodes of new shows you missed setting a sp
  • picking up episodes of shows you don't normally record (after online stories or comments peak your interest)
1. Season Pass for those shows on HBO.
2. Like what?
3. Since when does that happen?
4. That's just mismanaging your DVR. And why would you want to re-watch something? That makes no sense.
5. There's re-runs of stuff that you can piece humpty-dumpty back together with.
6. Who cares. Or re-runs.

Point is, XoD is completely useless to a TiVo user who uses their TiVo properly.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Huh? TiVo is extremely reliable.
No, the Roamio Pro is an unreliable piece of crap that has been shipped out to unsuspecting customers broken without any warning and about half the customers with one will experience issues because TiVo can't be bothered testing their equipment with Scientific Atlanta/Cisco CableCARDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
jrtroo
User

Quote:
No, the Roamio Pro is an unreliable piece of crap that has been shipped out to unsuspecting customers broken without any warning and about half the customers with one will experience issues because TiVo can't be bothered testing their equipment with Scientific Atlanta/Cisco CableCARDs.
You are the exception. Stinks to have problems, but true. Waay less complaints of issues with these boxes on the boards than any other release.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
zalusky

I have had very few problems with Roamio.

As for VOD I do use it periodically. Starz has something called early premieres where there are movies available that have not been shown yet that I might want to watch.

We just recently binged watched and caught up on Orphan Black getting to the current episode using it. I also watched the season premiere of NY Med since I did not know it started up and I missed copying that season pass over to the Roamio.

I have not once had a technical problem with it.

I do hate the layout and I also hate that providers can lockout fast forwarding.
As a result VOD is last resort but I definitely appreciate it being there.
Tivo is only as good what's being broadcast. You have to resort to other means for past shows if they are not rebroadcast in a reasonable amount of time.

Now play nice!

Last edited by zalusky : 07-04-2014 at 01:58 PM.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
1. Season Pass for those shows on HBO.
2. Like what?
3. Since when does that happen?
4. That's just mismanaging your DVR. And why would you want to re-watch something? That makes no sense.
5. There's re-runs of stuff that you can piece humpty-dumpty back together with.
6. Who cares. Or re-runs.

Point is, XoD is completely useless to a TiVo user who uses their TiVo properly.
1. hbo vod offers different content than aired on hbo through the month. since you don't use the feature, you wouldn't understand.
2. see #1
3. not often, but it happens
4. no, it's making choices while properly managing. i record and watch a lot of content, and have to decide what to keep to allow for new recordings - you cannot keep everything.
5. not if you prefer to catch up in time for the next ep by watching soon after it aired and was missed.
6. i care, and i sometimes choose vod content over something else.

point is, vod is a nice feature that adds choice and extra content, and occasionally serves as a back-up, with a properly used tivo. if you don't fully understand how to integrate vod features into your tivo viewing, don't use it.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
eDbolson

Keep in mind you can often (sometimes?) get to on demand content directly from search.
Regardless, the TiVo interface is still superior to all of the Comcast boxes I've used. I don't know about the X1.
eDbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You are the exception. Stinks to have problems, but true. Waay less complaints of issues with these boxes on the boards than any other release.
Agreed. And the 4/6 CableCard issues were pretty much MSO issues, not TiVo's fault. I haven't even heard of issues with specific to Sci Atlanta cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
1. hbo vod offers different content than aired on hbo through the month. since you don't use the feature, you wouldn't understand.
2. see #1
3. not often, but it happens
4. no, it's making choices while properly managing. i record and watch a lot of content, and have to decide what to keep to allow for new recordings - you cannot keep everything.
5. not if you prefer to catch up in time for the next ep by watching soon after it aired and was missed.
6. i care, and i sometimes choose vod content over something else.

point is, vod is a nice feature that adds choice and extra content, and occasionally serves as a back-up, with a properly used tivo. if you don't fully understand how to integrate vod features into your tivo viewing, don't use it.
1. So? There's always HBO Go. That actually works on a regular basis. And all the big stuff is aired several times on HBO, which is the best quality out of the three options anyways.

3. If you're doing things right, it shouldn't...

4. Even the last generation of TiVos, at 2TB, hold way more than anyone really needs. I have a couple of roommates, and one of my roommates and myself have only done the "easy" cleaning, not making some actual decisions about what we want to keep or not, and we're at 41%. Even if you have FIOS, and you keep too much crap, you shouldn't be able to get anywhere NEAR running out of room on a 2 or 3TB TiVo. If you are, you clearly aren't watching it, and you should just delete some of it. These modern TiVos are basically bottomless pits.

5. There are a ton of re-runs on.

6. That's how you just end up watching garbage TV...
Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
ajwees41

at least you have that option Cox users do not.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
at least you have that option Cox users do not.
True. I'd much rather be on FIOS though, which doesn't have VOD on TiVo than with Comcast with VOD.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I held off on getting one for a long time due your threads about how crappy and unreliable they are. In general I respect what you have to say and I took it to heart. I have to say, I wish I hadn't listened to you (this time). My new Roamio Pro installed in five minutes over the phone and has been absolutely flawless for over a month since I got it. I have had zero problems with it of any kind. It's quiet, reliable and responsive. In fact, if anything this is the best TiVo box I've ever had.

As for the topic? Yes, Comcast boxes suckass and they should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a POS. The Hard drives are too small to be of much use in the real world, they are loaded with advertising, and they are glitchy and unrefined. VOD sucks. If you pause it for more than five minutes it kicks you out and you have to go to another menu to restart it. That's assuming it restarts... It doesn't always do that and you have to come back later and try again. That alone is a pain in the butt. It's also glitchy and on some of the material it disables fast forward and 30 second skip so you have to sit and watch forced commercials. I tried to catch up on Game of Thrones with it and finally gave up. Watched it on my Apple TV and HBO Go instead.

I HATE how Comcast treats TiVo users too. Ever tried to watch a PPV on TiVo? The damn thing starts deleting itself from the beginning after 90 minutes. IN other words, you HAVE to be home during the PPV or it will simply delete itself. Sucks. Their own boxes don't do this and you can keep the PPV forever if you like. If Comcast didn't have TiVo I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Last edited by bareyb : 07-07-2014 at 06:29 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #21
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I HATE how Comcast treats TiVo users too. Ever tried to watch a PPV on TiVo? The damn thing starts deleting itself from the beginning after 90 minutes. IN other words, you HAVE to be home during the PPV or it will simply delete itself. Sucks. Their own boxes don't do this and you can keep the PPV forever if you like. If Comcast didn't have TiVo I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
You have to give them credit for actually supporting TiVo. They are the only major MSO so far to do so. Even some (or all?) of the MSOs that rent TiVos don't even have VOD on retail TiVos.

Not sure about the PPV thing, as most people don't use PPV.

True, if Comcast didn't have CableCard, I would be on DirecTV with the Genie in a heartbeat.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You have to give them credit for actually supporting TiVo. They are the only major MSO so far to do so. Even some (or all?) of the MSOs that rent TiVos don't even have VOD on retail TiVos.

Not sure about the PPV thing, as most people don't use PPV.

True, if Comcast didn't have CableCard, I would be on DirecTV with the Genie in a heartbeat.
I use PPV for the UFC PPVs. It's SO stressful knowing that if you take too many Pee breaks you'll lose your PPV. You'd think the Copyright holders would make it easier for PAYING PPV customers, not harder. It's no wonder so many people find it less of a hassle to just download the PPVs illegally.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #23
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
1. So? There's always HBO Go.
HBO Go isn't on the TiVo. And with Comcast, the Roku isn't an option for it.
XOD HBO has quite a few shows (in their entirety) that aren't aired on HBO anymore with any regularity (in HD) like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc. etc. as well as the best damn show that was ever on television, The Wire.

The interface is horrible and slow, and I've yet to get an XOD program to play when I get there from the search page. I can go through the XOD to get there and they play fine.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #24
Bigg

Quote:
I use PPV for the UFC PPVs. It's SO stressful knowing that if you take too many Pee breaks you'll lose your PPV. You'd think the Copyright holders would make it easier for PAYING PPV customers, not harder. It's no wonder so many people find it less of a hassle to just download the PPVs illegally.
Most people don't use PPV in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
HBO Go isn't on the TiVo. And with Comcast, the Roku isn't an option for it.
XOD HBO has quite a few shows (in their entirety) that aren't aired on HBO anymore with any regularity (in HD) like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc. etc. as well as the best damn show that was ever on television, The Wire.

The interface is horrible and slow, and I've yet to get an XOD program to play when I get there from the search page. I can go through the XOD to get there and they play fine.
It works fine using AirPlay on the iPad through AppleTV, and for the completely Android folks (I have both), it will work through Chromecast. So it is widely accessible, even though it is really stupid what Comcast is doing with Roku.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #25
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Most people don't use PPV in the first place.
They do if they want to legally watch UFC events.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #26
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just got the summer update and notice now you can start Xfinity On-Demand shows directly from the guide listings. Much better than having to browse through the Xfinity interface.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #27
Bigg

Quote:
They do if they want to legally watch UFC events.
Yeah, the overlap between the UFC market and the TiVo market is a really, really tiny sliver of two already small circles on a Venn Diagram...
Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #28
moedaman

Quote:
Yeah, the overlap between the UFC market and the TiVo market is a really, really tiny sliver of two already small circles on a Venn Diagram...
Does it really matter how small the market is though? It still exists and the service should work correctly.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #29
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
Does it really matter how small the market is though? It still exists and the service should work correctly.
Exactly. I guess he's trying to tell me since it doesn't affect him, I shouldn't complain about it.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #30
zalusky

Another example of why OnDemand is a great addition albeit a horrible interface arose tonight. I decided to binge watch the first season Rectified on Netflix yesterday.
So tonight I watched the first 3 episodes from OnDemand. After that I thought I would set a season pass. Guess what, we don't get The abundance channel in HD. However i can get the HD version from OnDemand.

So please stop it with the superior attitude! If you don't like Comcast just say it!

Now play nice!