TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
John Hafer

TiVo Pauses on Its Own During Playback

Recently, and it seems ever since my Premiere received the latest SW, my TiVo will just pause during playback of a recorded program. When it occurs, it is just like I hit Pause but the Green status bar on the screen still shows it is in Playback. If I backup a little and then hit play again, it will play until the exact spot again and then will pause. The only way I can get it to continue is to Fast Forward the paused spot a second or two and then press play again. Then it will work fine again. This happens about twice per day.

This never occurs when just watching a live program and when I am caught up to real time. It only occurs when playing a recording or watching a program delayed in the 30 minute buffer.

Any idea or thoughts? If it was a failing HDD, wouldn't I also see this happening even during "live" viewing?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

John Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
lujan

Sorry can't help but I have the exact opposite problem. I usually pause the Nightly News on NBC so that I have some buffer. But at 5:30pm MST, the TiVo will unpause so that I need to pause again. If I pause too soon after it unpauses it will unpause again. I need to wait a few seconds before it will let me pause again. I've called TiVo support about this and they just say that it must be something in the broadcast stream so they have not been able to help. I'm wondering if you may have a similar problem in the way it is being broadcast? Does it only happen on a particular program?

7 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

There is a 30 minute buffer. If you pause for 30 minutes, you have no more buffer. That's normal and impossible to change, unless TiVo makes the buffer larger.

If you are going to watch the same show every day and want to skip commercials, why wouldn't you set up a season pass/onepass to record it for you? You can always tell it to only keep one episode.

Premiere (retired)
TiVo Mini (v1) x 3
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
worachj

It happened to me too. I've only seen the problem on my premiere, which I run with the old SD menus. Last week was the first time I noticed it and it happen to me again this week. I don't think it’s a hard drive problem. Seems to be some kind of recording glitch, maybe signal or tuner problem.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Phil Broughton

Exactly the same for me, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
Recently, and it seems ever since my Premiere received the latest SW, my TiVo will just pause during playback of a recorded program. When it occurs, it is just like I hit Pause but the Green status bar on the screen still shows it is in Playback. If I backup a little and then hit play again, it will play until the exact spot again and then will pause. The only way I can get it to continue is to Fast Forward the paused spot a second or two and then press play again. Then it will work fine again. This happens about twice per day.

This never occurs when just watching a live program and when I am caught up to real time. It only occurs when playing a recording or watching a program delayed in the 30 minute buffer.

Any idea or thoughts? If it was a failing HDD, wouldn't I also see this happening even during "live" viewing?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
and it seems like this hasn't happened in the past.

???

Phil Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

the freeze has been reported by myself and other premiere users beginning with the 20.4.5 software update. my pxl improved with 20.4.5c (it's only happened twice since, and it's been a while). i solved it like you, ffwd, then rwd back.

i ran kickstart 54 when my trouble started, it passed, and since it's basically stopped, i'm hoping there's a fix in 20.4.6 that addresses the issue (the priority sign up list is active and premieres begin updating next week).

running kickstart 54 would be a good next step. are you using an external drive? are you having any other issues such as pixelization during playback or loss of audio?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #7
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post

My Premiere started doing the same thing a month or two ago, but only once or twice a week. I can usually get past it by FF'ing, and sometimes using the 30-second-skip works too (but not always). I had recently upgraded to a new 2TB Hard Drive from DVR_Dude and it had been working flawlessly, but it suddenly started freezing randomly after a software update.

Hoping a future update fixes it !

Premiere 2TB, Series3 OLED w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, URC R40 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Just adding to the list. Mine do it too. 1 more than the other, and I also do the same "Fix" as stated above.

TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
There is a 30 minute buffer. If you pause for 30 minutes, you have no more buffer. That's normal and impossible to change, unless TiVo makes the buffer larger.

If you are going to watch the same show every day and want to skip commercials, why wouldn't you set up a season pass/onepass to record it for you? You can always tell it to only keep one episode.
I realize there is a 30 minute buffer but I pause it only a few minutes before the program is going to begin. I already have a ton of season passes and scheduled recordings and didn't want to set up another but suppose I could. In any event, it's not working like it should.

7 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
John Hafer

Just to update on my "pausing" issue, it seems to only occur when I am doing a recording. If I am not recording, I do not have the issue, even if I am watching the program delayed (up to the 30 min. buffer). If I am watching the program while it is recording, and I am not caught up to real time, that is when I seem to have the issue.

I have also not noticed the issue (at least yet) if I fully record a program and then watch it later

Again it is random and may occur once per day or a couple of time per week. I also feel this issue started happening after the last SW update as I never had this issue before the update.

To answer an earlier question, I do not have any pixelization or other issues and I do not use an external HDD. My Premiere is a standard model. Signal strength is in the 90s.

Last edited by John Hafer : 01-31-2015 at 11:46 AM.
John Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
seattlewendell

I am also having this issue. I ran kickstart 54 so I know its not the drive. At this point I'm waiting for the February update to see if it fixes it. I found that if you last forward pass the sticking point and rewind a few times it will play.

seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
There could be some sort of glitch in the stream itself that the TiVo can't get past. These TiVo record the stream directly from the cable signal, so if there is a glitch due to a signal issue or even just an encoding glitch introduced by the cable company I could see something like this happening. Depends on how robust their error correction is.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There could be some sort of glitch in the stream itself that the TiVo can't get past. These TiVo record the stream directly from the cable signal, so if there is a glitch due to a signal issue or even just an encoding glitch introduced by the cable company I could see something like this happening. Depends on how robust their error correction is.
Actually i don't think it's being caused by the cable company because for me it's only happening on antenna - typically when i'm watching local news or GMA which i only watch over the air (i don't even have the cable version of my local channels in my channel list - OTA only so i get the better picture quality). It's happened on CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX- all OTA.

It happened again last night while watching the NBC Nightly News while it was recording - it suddenly stopped and i had to hit the 30-sec skip to get past it. I rewound it and let it play again several times and it always stopped at the same spot. I let the recording end then later i played it and it still stopped at that same spot so it's not just happening while watching it live in the recording buffer - it's actually in the recording.

I'm trying to remember if it ever happened while recording or watching anything on a cable channel but nothing is coming to mind. I'll keep an eye out.

Premiere 2TB, Series3 OLED w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, URC R40 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Even with OTA it's recording the digital stream directly, so it could still be a glitch in the stream causing the issue. Perhaps you have a signal issue with your antenna?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Even with OTA it's recording the digital stream directly, so it could still be a glitch in the stream causing the issue. Perhaps you have a signal issue with your antenna?
Naw, i have a good strong signal. I'm using a Channel Master roof antenna which has line-of-site to the broadcast towers on Mt. Wilson 29 miles across the L.A. basin. I can see the towers from my roof!

FWIW, i've never had this self-pausing issue with my Series3 (over 8 years of daily use now). It only happens on my Premiere.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Weird. You should try transferring one of these shows to your PC and see if it completes. If it does then try playing it and see if there is a noticeable glitch where the pause occurs.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #17
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Weird. You should try transferring one of these shows to your PC and see if it completes. If it does then try playing it and see if there is a noticeable glitch where the pause occurs.
Interesting idea. I think i may still have last night's recording, and i think i still have Tivo Desktop on my PC. I haven't used that in years since TWC started copy-protecting all their cable programming a long time ago. I'll see what i can do and report back.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #18
Jed1

This is an old issue. I mentioned this back in October in this thread, post 22, as I noticed this with the winter update:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10294174

I also sent this to Margret along with the HDMI output stops working issue but I never heard back from her so I just left it go. I do believe I had not had this happen since October.

Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #19
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
Interesting idea. I think i may still have last night's recording, and i think i still have Tivo Desktop on my PC. I haven't used that in years since TWC started copy-protecting all their cable programming a long time ago. I'll see what i can do and report back.
Bah, that news program has self-deleted by the time i went to check it, but i remembered it freezing on Saturday's TMZ on Fox 11.1 OTA when i was watching it while recording and i still have that recording on my Premiere. I remember backing it up and letting it play a few times and it always got stuck at that exact point so i ended up skipping past it and finishing the show.

Well i just replayed that recording and now instead of stopping at that point, the video glitches out at that spot and two words are dropped from the audio, but this time it recovers quickly and plays through it now. I went frame-by-frame and the glitch starts with a few macro-blocky squares with the first frame, more and more squares appear over the next 6 frames till about half the image is covered in random squares on frame 7, then by frame 8 it suddenly clears up and plays perfectly. I replayed this recording several times behaves the same every time i play it back.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
So it does seem to be a glitch in the recording causing the pause. TiVo should still do a better job of moving past these glitches though.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #21
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Well i just replayed that recording and now instead of stopping at that point, the video glitches out at that spot and two words are dropped from the audio, but this time it recovers quickly and plays through it now. I went frame-by-frame and the glitch starts with a few macro-blocky squares with the first frame, more and more squares appear over the next 6 frames till about half the image is covered in random squares on frame 7, then by frame 8 it suddenly clears up and plays perfectly. I replayed this recording several times behaves the same every time i play it back.
Ok i now downloaded this TMZ episode to my PC via Tivo Desktop and when i play it back on my PC, the video ends an instant before it hits the glitch spot (the 33 minute mark in the 60 minute program). The remaining 27 minutes of the 1-hour show didn't download, the transfer ended at the 33 minute mark and the video is only 33 minutes long (3.27 GB). On my Premiere's online Now Playing List it shows the file size of the whole 1-hour show is 6.19 GB.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's common when there is a glitch in the file. It's less likely to hapoen with the TS format, but it still happens. TiVo has to remux the file from their internal format to a PC based format (either PS or TS) and when that process hits a bad glitch in the stream it just stops.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #23
tlphipps

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and everyone else that has posted. I've been seeing the same issue and assumed my drive was getting flaky. It's several years old. Glad to know that's not the issue and hopefully it'll be fixed in future updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tlphipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #24
RonH

Just stumbled across this thread, also now glad to know it's probably not a flaky drive. Only seen it on my Roamio though. Random and very seldom. So much so that I can't remember if I was watching live or a recording.

RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #25
Cep

I started having this problem about a month ago, the picture would freeze. i dealt with the ff option. Maybe mine was a coincidence, but On Superbowl Sunday i turned on the Tv and had the start up screen. hard drive failure, now my tivo is over 4 years old, so I guess that it is to be expected. Ordered a hard dive from weaknees, showed up 3 days later and Tivo was back 15 minutes later. It took me 3x the time to get everything back up with Fios. Thanks to this site, I knew of the manual re-validate issue. I think my wait on hold was longer than the install and work with the rep.

Cep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #26
austinpike

Quote:
...but i remembered it freezing on Saturday's TMZ on Fox 11.1 OTA when i was watching it while recording
My parents have a unit that has been doing this occasionally. I hadn't seen it myself until last night - I had it paused (on TMZ - coincidence?) then hit record in case the buffer ran out. When I went back to play the show, it froze up at the point I had it paused. Rewind, FF got it over the glitch. I have two Premieres of my own and haven't seen this happen. FWIW my parents and I both have Comcast, but they are in a different service area.

Their unit was due for an HD upgrade anyway so I brought it home and put in a 2TB WD Green, it now plays back the recording without pausing. You can see a few artifacts in the frame where it was freezing. I transferred the recording from their unit to one of mine and it played OK there too. All are on the new update 20.4.6a and all are running SD menus.

So we will see if the fix "sticks" with the new HD.

austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #27
severe

I'd recently given my Premier to my mother and just days after her subscribing to the service, she had the exact same experience the OP reported.

It began as she was watching the Oscars, so that didn't go over well when it came to my suggestion she go with TiVo service. She gave up quickly that night and continued watching from another TiVoless room.

It's happened at least once since. I was eventually going to contact CS, but inadvertently came across this thread.

I'm hoping the issue is resolved soon.

severe is offline   Reply With Quote