TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Illusion

Fall Update hurts SD Shows list

I just got the 2014 Fall update and my Premiere XL is not doing so good. I use SD menus and now the "My Shows" list does not seem to cache. I have to wait a moment each time I go to it for the list to load. It is so slow it appears to load a show at a time in the list.

Even if I scroll down and then back up to the top I have to wait again for the list of shows to propagate.
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
SullyND
W: 31-15

Have you tried the HD menus lately?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
robsheer

I'm having the exact problem mentioned by the original poster. The SD listing of MY SHOWS is extremely slow ever since the latest update. They have clearly introduced a new bug in the latest software. I noticed that if I turn off grouping of shows into folders, the problem goes away and I'm able to scroll up/down quickly, but once I group shows again, scrolling comes to a crawl. As far as trying the HD menu, impossible. Ever since I switched from HD to SD menus, the option to go back to HD disappeared. Even if I could switch back, I would still stay with SD menus, more info on the screen at once, faster, and less clutter. TIVO please fix this bug. It's a loss in functionality. I never had a problem before with SD menu and grouping recorded shows. Thank you.
robsheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
I just got the 2014 Fall update and my Premiere XL is not doing so good. I use SD menus and now the "My Shows" list does not seem to cache. I have to wait a moment each time I go to it for the list to load. It is so slow it appears to load a show at a time in the list.

Even if I scroll down and then back up to the top I have to wait again for the list of shows to propagate.
The performance of the HD menus is greatly improved over where it was two+ years ago. Looking really good!
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
xberk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsheer View Post
TIVO please fix this bug. It's a loss in functionality. I never had a problem before with SD menu and grouping recorded shows. Thank you.
I'm having the same problem in both our Premier units after the update. MY SHOWS navigation (page up/page down/up arrow/down arrow) is painfully slow unless I ungroup everything. Never was like that before. PLEASE FIX THIS TIVO. HD menus are a bit faster but I have never liked the HD menu setup. MUCH MUCH prefer the SD. I navigate MY SHOWS frequently! This is a big fat drag. Come on TIVO. Fix this.
xberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
AZrob

Ditto here as well. My wife, who HATES the HD menus, immediately noticed the change on both of our Premieres after this week's Fall update. This is definitely a step backwards. Too slow!
TIVO - please fix this! There are many of us who prefer the SD Menu!

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

Considering the roamio is HD menus only, that they share the same code base, and that someday even the setup menus will be HD, I would think its entirely possible that the SD menus could be history soon.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
HerronScott

For those seeing this issue, you should open a case with TiVo technical support and I'd recommend posting on the official TiVo forums as well.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
SullyND
W: 31-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I would think its entirely possible that the SD menus could be history soon.
Yeah, if they broke the SD menus with the update, I wouldn't be surprised for the "fix" to be disabling them.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Considering the roamio is HD menus only, that they share the same code base, and that someday even the setup menus will be HD, I would think its entirely possible that the SD menus could be history soon.
You're kidding me - there are no SD menus on the Roamio? I did not notice that "feature" when they came out. Not happy with that!
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
robsheer

To anyone having this issue, I contacted TiVo technical support and they stated they already have a ticket opened for this issue and are working on a fix. Make sure you contact them and have them attach your devices TSN (TiVo Service Number) to the ticket so that you'll be on the priority list for getting the fix once they solve it.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
KDeFlane

Quote:
To anyone having this issue, I contacted TiVo technical support and they stated they already have a ticket opened for this issue and are working on a fix. Make sure you contact them and have them attach your devices TSN (TiVo Service Number) to the ticket so that you'll be on the priority list for getting the fix once they solve it.
Thank you for this info. I often forget that this is not an official forum affliated with the company. I'm glad that a fix will reach me eventually. Adding my TSN to the support ticket might be good for me, but it also might distract them from actually making the fix, so I won't bother.

Thank you also for the tip about ungrouping the folders. When I first went to my shows list after the update, I thought it had deleted all of my saved shows! It was that slow to load! It's still annoying, and it still scares me to think it will just forget to index the list one day. I love the SD simplicity, and I resent it every time I am told to "embrace the future" and switch to HD menues. If you don't have my eyesight, you cannot understand.
KDeFlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
You're kidding me - there are no SD menus on the Roamio? I did not notice that "feature" when they came out. Not happy with that!
Why would they continue to support a legacy aspect of the product that's a minus to the viewing experience?

SD menus are a thing of the past, even on the Premiere's the new features in the latest update frequently do NOT have SD counterparts, they're HD menu only. Tivo drew their line in the sand with the Roamio, SD menus are dead.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDeFlane View Post
Thank you for this info. I often forget that this is not an official forum affliated with the company. I'm glad that a fix will reach me eventually. Adding my TSN to the support ticket might be good for me, but it also might distract them from actually making the fix, so I won't bother.
If you don't open a case, then TiVo won't know how many people this is impacting. There's no way that it will distract them from fixing the issue and in fact increasing the number of tickets on the issue could get them to fix it faster if they see it's impacting a large enough group of users.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Even thought this doesn't affect me, thanks for contacting TiVo, and posting it here.

Let me add, I was an SD holdout for the longest. Just did not like the HD menus. Did. Not. Like.

Finally switched because something I was doing required HD menus (mini maybe, can't remember). And ya' know what, after a couple days, I never looked back. It really is a better experience. You just have to make that first step.

So for those of you holding out, may I suggest trying it. And really trying it, like for a few days, not just an hour or so. I'd bet after 3-4 days of HD menus, you won't go back.

YMMV of course.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
robsheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
If you don't open a case, then TiVo won't know how many people this is impacting. There's no way that it will distract them from fixing the issue and in fact increasing the number of tickets on the issue could get them to fix it faster if they see it's impacting a large enough group of users.

Scott
Absolutely correct! I work in software development. They will prioritize this according to the number of people it affects. If you don't open a ticket or attach your TSN to an existing ticket they will give it a lower priority and it will take longer to get a fix to this bug!

Please call them if this affects you or start a new thread on the official forum.TiVo.com website. I could not find an existing thread on their forums regarding this issue.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
robsheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Even thought this doesn't affect me, thanks for contacting TiVo, and posting it here.

Let me add, I was an SD holdout for the longest. Just did not like the HD menus. Did. Not. Like.

Finally switched because something I was doing required HD menus (mini maybe, can't remember). And ya' know what, after a couple days, I never looked back. It really is a better experience. You just have to make that first step.

So for those of you holding out, may I suggest trying it. And really trying it, like for a few days, not just an hour or so. I'd bet after 3-4 days of HD menus, you won't go back.

YMMV of course.

I would love to try the HD menus. But the only way you can enable HD menus is to op-in on your privacy settings so they can collect detailed data on your viewing patterns so they can sell it to their partners. No thanks. I'll stick to SD menus. I like the simplicity and speed.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #18
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

I apologize to those of you experiencing a slow My Shows with SD Menus.

I can fix it if you email your TSN to margret@tivo.com with the subject "slow SD My Shows".

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:00 AM   #19
Torino

Just did the update that Margret sent me. Now the my shows menu is fast again. Thanks, Margret.
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #20
robsheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Just did the update that Margret sent me. Now the my shows menu is fast again. Thanks, Margret.

You have to "do" the update? Can you elaborate please. How was it sent to you?
Old Today, 06:57 AM   #21
foamy909

Same issue. Just e-mailed TivoMargret.

Thanks to all who brought this to their attention....
foamy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #22
Torino

Quote:
You have to "do" the update? Can you elaborate please. How was it sent to you?
Once you email your tsn you will be updated within 48hrs or once you get her return email you can connect to Tivo then do a reboot. That is what I did because I have to remove my cable card, internet connection and cable from my Tivo or it gets stuck on reboot. It still got stuck on start up once anyway.
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #23
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I apologize to those of you experiencing a slow My Shows with SD Menus.

I can fix it if you email your TSN to margret@tivo.com with the subject "slow SD My Shows".

--Margret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
and this is what gives those of us who are the Tivo faithful the warm fuzzy feeling that Tivo does still have a soul, it may not be as user accessible as it was 10 years ago, but that heart still beats in Tivo.