TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
ame8199

not getting a channel

I got my Tivo box all set up and its great. There is 1 channel that is not coming in real good. Its a channel that have 80 percent of what I watch on it. I can get it just fine if I hook the antenna up to the TV.

Am I screwed? how do I get that channel?
ame8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Cable or OTA? Call letters? Did it ever work? If OTA I can go to bed since I'm cable only. If cable, tune the channel and get the signal strength from Settings, System Info. It should be around 80.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
ame8199

you can go to bed...its OTA

I can move my antenna to get that channel, but then another channel loses its signal...

Cant find a spot for the antenna that allows me to get all my channels i used to get before Tivo
Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
ame8199

would getting a better antenna help the matter? I have a 40 mile one. I live on the IL side of St. Louis and thats where all my channels come from.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
jth tv

A bigger antenna should be better. What antenna are you using ? What amp ?

I have experimented quite a bit and spent quite a bit over the past few months with OTA Antenna and not much of it makes sense and this stuff is crude, crude, crude. The reviews on the web are almost meaningless. I have yet to see a good recipe to solve reception problems. I really need a way to automatically log reception problems but there is none.

http://antennaweb.org/Info/Help.aspx is a place to start.

I made quite a few mistakes starting with taking a haphazard approach to reception problems. I needed to keep timestamped notes and stay organized, even track the weather. For example, if reception is bad on channels I don't watch, ignore it. If it is a problem during the day, ignore it, I only watch dvr'd, prime time tv. Is it VHF or UHF ? (I can't believe we still have to deal with both). Stormy day, ignore it. I spent too much time trying to solve reception problems for channels and shows I don't watch.

All the small antennas did not work for me, stupidly I tried a bunch. Between my first floor apartment and the broadcast towers is a stucco wall, sometimes heavy truck traffic and high voltage wires. At this point the problem seems to be truck traffic, which is, luckily, practically non-existent at prime time.

I am now using a HBU22 antennacraft, an outdoor antenna used indoors. If I had to do it again, I would have tried One small one and then jumped to the biggest antenna that would fit.

The HBU22 works great here, I am very happy.
jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
ame8199

i just have a flat indoor RCA antenna from walmart. No idea the amps, but it has a amplifier that is attached to it. I think its ranged for 40 miles.

I can move the antenna and get the channel, but then i don't get the other channels. I can't find a space that I can get all the important channels. It'll just suck for recording.

was going to go to best buy today to look at the ones they have...but yea its Thanksgiving and they open at 5..and i dont want to be in that mess

I have to have a indoor antenna...I rent
Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
jth tv

I rent also.

Another flat one won't help. I tried a Amazon Ultimate and a Mohu 50, nearly the same results with either. Stay away from the built in amp stuff, you can't mix the equipment. The best separate amp I have used is also the cheapest, RCA AMP1450F, $16.

An outdoor antenna used indoors may seem ridiculous, but an RCA ANT751R fits very nicely a few inches from the ceiling in my interior hallway. It is very light and 3 tiny nails and some string/twine is all it took suspend it from the hallway ceiling. My neighbor bought the ANT751R from me after I bought an even bigger antenna. He is very happy with the results and he's the handyman for this apartment building.

I am now using a Antennacraft HBU22, $33 on sale at radioshack, ship to store. At that price, you should just try it. It is much much bigger and I think it is slightly better than the more expensive ANT751R. I cannot prove that it is better, the results are well within the margin of error. Temporarily I have it propped up on a box between two closet doors, eventually I will use string, it is really light. In the hallway, it is out of the way, not all that noticeable.

I can afford cable tv which here is super reliable, they just annoyed the heck out of me with their tricky pricing. Now I just have $15 Every Day Low price internet, an antenna and I am very happy with the results.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ame8199 View Post
i just have a flat indoor RCA antenna from walmart. No idea the amps, but it has a amplifier that is attached to it. I think its ranged for 40 miles.
this little omnidirectional antenna is a great performer for the price, no issues for years. i'm not too far from the mountain of towers, though...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
jth tv

I rent also. Your neighbors a probably the best source for information, maybe one of them has figured out what type of antenna will work.

Another flat one won't help. I tried a Amazon Ultimate and a Mohu 50, nearly the same results with either. Stay away from the built in amp stuff, you can't mix the equipment. The best separate amp I have used is also the cheapest, RCA AMP1450F, $16.

An outdoor antenna used indoors may seem ridiculous, but an RCA ANT751R fits very nicely a few inches from the ceiling in my interior hallway. It is very light and 3 tiny nails and some string/twine is all it took suspend it from the hallway ceiling. My neighbor bought the ANT751R from me after I bought an even bigger antenna. He is very happy with the results and he's the handyman for this apartment building.

I am now using a Antennacraft HBU22, $33 on sale at radioshack, ship to store. At that price, you should just try it. It is much much bigger and I think it is slightly better than the more expensive ANT751R. I cannot prove that it is better, the results are well within the margin of error. Temporarily I have it propped up on a box between two closet doors, eventually I will use string, it is really light. In the hallway, it is out of the way, not all that much of an eyesore.

I can afford cable tv which here is super reliable, they just annoyed the heck out of me with their tricky pricing. Now I just have $15 Every Day Low Price internet, an antenna and I am very happy with the results.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
ame8199

The amp came with the antenna...i tried it without and it wasn't any better. I did move things around...hung the antenna on the wall on the other side of the window. Gets all the important channels at the moment. WE'll see how long it last, I'll continue to shop around especially if Im going to keep antenna and tivo, which is a very nice combo I think as long as the signal stays put.

Im recording some big bang theory today while Im out at Thanksgiving dinner...we'll see how that works out.