TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Doit2it

HDMI connection not permitted

OK, so I went on vacation for a week and come back to no picture.

Premiere XL4 w Xfinity cable card Software: 20.4.6a.RC1-01-2-758

Every TV channel, every recorded show display the error message below with no picture or audio.
Netflix videos and the YouTube app work fine.
Also, I do have uploaded videos in the My Shows list which play fine.

I tried rebooting, reseating the cablecard, changed HDMI port on TV, replaced HDMI cable. Nothing fixed the error. I don't have a component cable handy tonight, but that should work. But I DON'T want to have to use a component cable because the HDMI cable has worked fine for the past 2 years.

How do I fix this? Was it the 20.4.6a update that caused this? HELP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
b-ball-fanatic

Weird! I have to say, I've never seen that one before!

So you're getting this just with live TV? At one point you suggested both live TV and recorded, but then later said you could watch My Shows content, so a little unclear on that.

I don't think that's a new update, BTW. Could be wrong....

Are you running though any kind of HDMI switch, a receiver, any intermediate device at all? Also, as a troubleshooting step, can you try connecting to a different TV? The handshake issue could be on the TV's end....it'd be good to eliminate that possibility. Unplug the TV power and reset it, but also try another TV if possible.

Last edited by b-ball-fanatic; 04-25-2015 at 09:16 PM.
b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
jth tv

Try disconnecting everything except one hdmi.

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
lparsons21

I changed my video out on my Roamio Plus to support all resolutions and found that I got that first message you get when I changed to channels or shows that were at a different resolution. It would go away and the show would play after a few moments. Changed the video to do 1080i only output and never get the message.

Never got to the second message.

lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
fcfc2

Hi,
I don't know what caused your initial failure but AFAIK if you remove and reinsert the cablecard you change the Data ID on the card and this will break the pairing with that card. Double check the Cablecard ID, Host ID, and Data ID and see about getting your cable company to re-pair the card and then do futher troubleshooting if necessary.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
tomhorsley

I have seen devices with utterly incompetent implementations of the HDCP security crap for HDMI. I had one TV that would only properly handshake if it was already on and already set to the right HDMI port *before* I turned on the device connected via that port. If I switched to another source to check something briefly, I could never get a picture again on the original HDMI source without power cycling everything and starting over from scratch. This is why I use component cables for everything :-).

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi,
I don't know what caused your initial failure but AFAIK if you remove and reinsert the cablecard you change the Data ID on the card and this will break the pairing with that card. Double check the Cablecard ID, Host ID, and Data ID and see about getting your cable company to re-pair the card and then do futher troubleshooting if necessary.
Note this only applies to Motorola CableCards. Cisco/Scientific-Atlanta ones don't have a Data ID.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Doit2it

Don't know what happened, but it's fine this morning.

It was live TV and recorded TV. Uploaded videos (via Tivo Desktop) worked fine.
No HDMI switch, reciever, etc. Always gone straight from Tivo to HDMI port on TV.

I had read this thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...dmi+connection) that said if they waited 10 minutes, they would get a picture. I had my TV on for at least 5 hours last night with no picture. Also, the TV wasn't off all week. I have it set to turn on at 5am every weekday and it turns itself off at 6:15 if I haven't changed channel, volume, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
lazzaro

This is a known problem with 20.4.6a. A temporary workaround is to remove the HDMI cable at the TIVO end and reinsert it.
Also, do you have the unit on standby? If so, while in standby mode remove and reinsert the HDMI cable on the Tivo end.
There is a limited release (20.4.7) from Tivo which is intended to fix this problem. You need to contact customer service, describe the problem and ask them to put your unit on a priority list for this update.
I personally have found the fix to be hit and miss.
20.4.6a was released with a change in the HDMI handshake analysis. Therefore, some TVs which have marginally robust HDCP may fail the new analysis.
Is your TV a Vizio brand?

lazzaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
DEC2955

While rare.. I had this happen between a Sony Blu-Ray Player and my Samsung Plasma TV by changing out my older HDMI V1.0 cable to a newer V1.3+ cable the issue went away.. did not read if you had changed cables.. If you had please excuse me.

DEC2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit2it View Post
Don't know what happened, but it's fine this morning.

It was live TV and recorded TV. Uploaded videos (via Tivo Desktop) worked fine.
No HDMI switch, reciever, etc. Always gone straight from Tivo to HDMI port on TV.

I had read this thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...dmi+connection) that said if they waited 10 minutes, they would get a picture. I had my TV on for at least 5 hours last night with no picture. Also, the TV wasn't off all week. I have it set to turn on at 5am every weekday and it turns itself off at 6:15 if I haven't changed channel, volume, etc.
There is no way any sort of HDMI negotiation between your TiVo and your television could or should be able to prevent your TiVo from recording a show.

You might have to connect a non-HDMI output on the TiVo to a non-HDMI input on something to be able to *watch* the recording (at least until you sort out what the HDMI problem between your TiVo and your television is), but it should have recorded.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote