TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
dubluv
tivo lover

what is the best wireless streaming options for 2 premiers?

one of my two premiers has the N adapter, the other has the older G adapter. i am contemplating adding another N adapter, so i can stream from one to the other without the typical stutters and message of slow network. however, am i better off getting a wireless bridge, and if so, considering they cost about the same or more than the tivo N adapter, which one will serve me the best?

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
Humax DRT400 (250gb) 'Lifetime'
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired
dubluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubluv View Post
one of my two premiers has the N adapter, the other has the older G adapter. i am contemplating adding another N adapter, so i can stream from one to the other without the typical stutters and message of slow network. however, am i better off getting a wireless bridge, and if so, considering they cost about the same or more than the tivo N adapter, which one will serve me the best?
What router are you using? My Premiere is wired to a wireless Roamio. I can move movies with about 80Mbs transfer rate. The Roamio has an ASUS EA-N66r adapter. I have heard (and seen) less than stellar wireless performance with the built-in WiFi of the Roamio. I also have a Mini using the AN0100 adapter. No stutter or viewing issues. I do give my Netgear R7500 much of the credit.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Why are you not going wired? Totally worth it for the enhancements it gives for streaming. Wireless may work ok, but maybe not.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Why are you not going wired? Totally worth it for the enhancements it gives for streaming. Wireless may work ok, but maybe not.
Router on first floor, Roamio on second floor. Not my house and I have no desire to run cables anyhow. Premiere is wired because it is next to the modem and spends most of it's time as a fancy STB. I sometimes use it for recording movies when my HBO or other premium channels go free for a weekend. I'm happy with how it works actually. Streaming works fine also.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
UCLABB

Quote:
Check out MOCA. Sell your wireless adapters and buy MOCA adapters. That's what I did a long time ago.
UCLABB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Be sure that you're streaming on the 5Ghz band N is good.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

By wired, I was meaning any form of wired. It does not just mean ethernet anymore (which is why I did not say ethernet), and if the OP replies we can help them figure out if that is an available option or not. It appears the OP was willing to invest in some technology, and perhaps was not aware how successful it has been used for Tivos.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
dubluv
tivo lover

I'm aware that wired is best, but logistically it's to difficult. They're in different rooms, running cables would be really tough. I prefer wireless, but realize wired is better . What is the cost of connecting two premiers? I have @belkin ac900 dual band router

Regarding moca, do the TiVo's have to be connected to each other, or do they use existing cable that's already there?

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired

Last edited by dubluv : 01-20-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
I'm aware that wired is best, but logistically it's to difficult. They're in different rooms, running cables would be really tough. I prefer wireless, but realize wired is better . What is the cost of connecting two premiers? I have @belkin ac900 dual band router
Then I doubt the router is your bottleneck. You might move a program from one to another and check the transfer rate. That's Settings->Network & Phone->View Network Diagnostics->View transfer history. Then look for the incoming/outgoing transfer. My last incoming rate from Premiere (wired) to Roamio (wired to wireless adapter) was 82.58 Mb/s. My router is on a different floor. But MoCa is supposed to be good and it must be simpler than adapters that need a PC to configure.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Regarding moca, do the TiVo's have to be connected to each other, or do they use existing cable that's already there?
They use the pre-existing coax. Just put a MoCA adapter near the router and one near the TiVo and plug them into the ethernet port of each.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #11
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
They use the pre-existing coax. Just put a MoCA adapter near the router and one near the TiVo and plug them into the ethernet port of each.
i spoke with TiVo support today regarding moca, and clearly the option is not that hard. first of all, both of my premiere 4 boxes have moca built in, so i'll only need one moca adapter at the modem, and the POE filter, plus switch all my splitters to the 2.0Ghz type. all for about the cost of another wireless N adapter or bridge. so, some of you may not be aware that the premiere 4 box doesn't require a moca adapter, so that's a big savings right there. glad I checked

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired
Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #12
ajwees41

Quote:
i spoke with TiVo support today regarding moca, and clearly the option is not that hard. first of all, both of my premiere 4 boxes have moca built in, so i'll only need one moca adapter at the modem, and the POE filter, plus switch all my splitters to the 2.0Ghz type. all for about the cost of another wireless N adapter or bridge. so, some of you may not be aware that the premiere 4 box doesn't require a moca adapter, so that's a big savings right there. glad I checked
The premiere xl is the only one. With moca built in the 2 tuner premiere needs an adapter
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Actually, if your Premiere 4 is near your router, you won't need any MoCA adapters. The Premiere 4 can act as a MoCA bridge itself. Just turn on MoCA+Ethernet in the network settings. Then go to the other TiVo and turn on MoCA. Done.

This assumes you have two 4-tuner Premieres.
Slingbox M1

Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
The premiere xl is the only one. With moca built in the 2 tuner premiere needs an adapter
my boxes are both the 4 tuner premiere's, but i don't think they're called XL's. so, just to be sure, its only the 2 tuner premiere that needs the adapter, not the 4 tuner, right?

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired

Last edited by dubluv : 01-21-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
Actually, if your Premiere 4 is near your router, you won't need any MoCA adapters. The Premiere 4 can act as a MoCA bridge itself. Just turn on MoCA+Ethernet in the network settings. Then go to the other TiVo and turn on MoCA. Done.

This assumes you have two 4-tuner Premieres.
Arcady, if i'm able to run an ethernet cable to one of my premiere 4 boxes, are you saying I can enable moCA on the other premiere 4 without the need for an adapter? that's a $50 savings right there! the TiVo agent also said I'd need a POE filter, plus all my splitters need to be 2.0 Ghz. do i have the correct info so far? thanx again for your help. so i can also then remove both wireless adapters on both boxes too?

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired
Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Arcady, if i'm able to run an ethernet cable to one of my premiere 4 boxes, are you saying I can enable moCA on the other premiere 4 without the need for an adapter? that's a $50 savings right there! the TiVo agent also said I'd need a POE filter, plus all my splitters need to be 2.0 Ghz. do i have the correct info so far? thanx again for your help. so i can also then remove both wireless adapters on both boxes too?
If you can get ethernet to one, then yes, you don't need a MoCA adapter or any wireless adapters on the TiVos. If you can get it working first without the POE adapter, then you may be fine. I was unable to connect my POE adapter when I moved due to the weird wiring in my building, and I still get good speeds. If you can easily determine where the cable enters the building, put the POE filter there. It's basically there to keep the MoCA signal from going back out the line into the neighbors connections and CATV system.

Whoever said something about Premiere XL: that was incorrect. The 4-tuner Premieres (4 and XL4 and Elite) have MoCA built-in. The regular two-tuner Premiere and Premiere XL units do not.
Slingbox M1

Old 01-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
If you can get ethernet to one, then yes, you don't need a MoCA adapter or any wireless adapters on the TiVos. If you can get it working first without the POE adapter, then you may be fine. I was unable to connect my POE adapter when I moved due to the weird wiring in my building, and I still get good speeds. If you can easily determine where the cable enters the building, put the POE filter there. It's basically there to keep the MoCA signal from going back out the line into the neighbors connections and CATV system.

Whoever said something about Premiere XL: that was incorrect. The 4-tuner Premieres (4 and XL4 and Elite) have MoCA built-in. The regular two-tuner Premiere and Premiere XL units do not.
Arcady, thanx again for your help. I'll order the poe filter, as it will be easy to put it in where it enters my house. Do you know how critical it is having the older 1ghz splitters? Tivo told me I need to change all my splitters to 2.0ghz

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired
Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
UCLABB

Quote:
Arcady, thanx again for your help. I'll order the poe filter, as it will be easy to put it in where it enters my house. Do you know how critical it is having the older 1ghz splitters? Tivo told me I need to change all my splitters to 2.0ghz
Very unlikely you need to worry about your splitters. I have a bunch of 1000ghz splitters in my house and have no problems with MOCA.
UCLABB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Very unlikely you need to worry about your splitters. I have a bunch of 1000ghz splitters in my house and have no problems with MOCA.
That's interesting, as the TiVo CSA specifically told me it wouldn't wor . He also told me that most cable companies would change them for me if I complained of reception issues. Thanx for the info😂

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired
Old 01-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have all 1ghz splitters in this building, and MoCA works great.

Hint: Never get tech advice from anyone who answers the phone at TiVo. Or get the advice and do the opposite.
Slingbox M1

Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #21
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
I have all 1ghz splitters in this building, and MoCA works great.

Hint: Never get tech advice from anyone who answers the phone at TiVo. Or get the advice and do the opposite.
Arcady, you're funny.😉 but since TiVo doesn't sell splitters, I was sure it was genuine!
Bottom line, it's not to far for me to run an Ethernet cable, so if this works well, I'll sell my wireless adapters.

Premiere 4
Premiere 4 (Lifetime)
TiVo HD (gifted to son)
Series 2 retired
Series 2 retired