TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
jtnewlands

Charter vs. Tivo

Sorry if duplicate but not seeing any relevant threads. Anyone on the forums using a Premiere (with Tuning Adapter and Cable Card) with Charter?
jtnewlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
dcrowell77

I am - Rochester, MN. No issues with the CCs, the TA goes wonky every once in awhile.
dcrowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
sharkster

Hi! We have Charter Cable and two Tivo Premieres. When I first traded out my 8 year old Series 2 Tivos, and got the tuning adapters and CableCARDs installed for my Premieres, it seemed a little wonky sometimes. But it's been two years now and things (knock on wood) are going well for a while now.

I haven't had any major problems lately, but I am very disappointed that we cannot use 'On Demand' on the TVs with Tivos. There is something really wrong about that. The only difference is that it's a CableCARD instead of a Cable Box, but both should do all the same things, IMO.

I don't know if it's on Charter's end or if it is a Tivo problem but I hope it gets integrated soon. (I won't hold my breath, though)
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
kherr

Charter and Tivo here too. No problems.

The reason you can't use VOD is that Tivo can't transmit your choices. It's a receiver not a transceiver as far as the CC goes ...... You should still be able to get VOD by calling Charter, the same for PPV.
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
sharkster

KHerr - thanks for that explanation.

I didn't understand the remark - "You should still be able to get VOD by calling Charter..." I've talked to them in the past, particularly in the recent past when they went to all digital (which didn't affect my Tivo TVs, but my little desk and kitchen TVs to which I had to add cable boxes). Anyway, my queries about getting On Demand on the TVs with CableCARDs were just met with 'eh, no OD with cablecards'.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
KHerr - thanks for that explanation.

I didn't understand the remark - "You should still be able to get VOD by calling Charter..." I've talked to them in the past, particularly in the recent past when they went to all digital (which didn't affect my Tivo TVs, but my little desk and kitchen TVs to which I had to add cable boxes). Anyway, my queries about getting On Demand on the TVs with CableCARDs were just met with 'eh, no OD with cablecards'.
You can get PPV, not VOD by calling up Charter.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
Durfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnewlands View Post
Sorry if duplicate but not seeing any relevant threads. Anyone on the forums using a Premiere (with Tuning Adapter and Cable Card) with Charter?

I have a Premiere and a HD with Charter, tuning adapters and cable cards. I did go through some nightmares with the HD a while back, but my setup seems pretty solid right now on both boxes.

I wish Charter would get an on demand app like Comcast....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Durfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I am very disappointed that we cannot use 'On Demand' on the TVs with Tivos. There is something really wrong about that. The only difference is that it's a CableCARD instead of a Cable Box, but both should do all the same things, IMO.
I agree!!!

I just found out Charter Cable has free on demand movies, but I can't get them with my Tivo and a Tuning Adapter, which is very frustrating. So is this a cable card thing or a Tivo or Tuning Adapter thing?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I agree!!!

I just found out Charter Cable has free on demand movies, but I can't get them with my Tivo and a Tuning Adapter, which is very frustrating. So is this a cable card thing or a Tivo or Tuning Adapter thing?
There is no standard for communicating from any device (here a TiVo) through a cablecard to the cable system back ends - this is what is needed for VOD. The cable systems were never able to agree on a standard, so everybody does it differently, secretly, and changes their own protocol as they want to. So there's no way for TiVo to communicate via cablecard (as the cable systems' own boxes can.)

Comcast implemented an entirely different method for their VOD to be able to offer it for TiVo. Instead of communicating through the cablecard, it communicates over the internet. That's what Charter and others have to do (people have suggested that Cox might be about to roll out their own internet approach.)

Complain to Charter.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnewlands View Post
Anyone on the forums using a Premiere (with Tuning Adapter and Cable Card) with Charter?
Yes. What is your question?

Personally I don't like the tuning adapter because every now and then it loses some of my channels and I have to reset it over and over to get them back. Once I was on vacation and it did this, when I got home I discovered some of my season passes didn't record due to the signal losses to those channels. It's very frustrating.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
UCLABB

Quote:
Yes. What is your question?

Personally I don't like the tuning adapter because every now and then it loses some of my channels and I have to reset it over and over to get them back. Once I was on vacation and it did this, when I got home I discovered some of my season passes didn't record due to the signal losses to those channels. It's very frustrating.
Yes, that's the only problem I have had. I think if you schedule a regular reset of the TA, the problem will not occur. Say rebooting on the first and fifteenth of every month.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I think if you schedule a regular reset of the TA, the problem will not occur. Say rebooting on the first and fifteenth of every month.
I'm afraid if I reset it when it's working fine, that it'll lose the signals.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #13
UCLABB

Quote:
I'm afraid if I reset it when it's working fine, that it'll lose the signals.
I have never had a problem with the TA not rebooting and working on the first reboot. Maybe there's something wrong with your TA. Perhaps you should get Charter to change it out.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #14
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Maybe there's something wrong with your TA. Perhaps you should get Charter to change it out.
I have two TA's and both sometimes take several times to reboot correctly. I doubt both are broken. I just think the whole TA thing in general needs to be fixed.