TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Toni

Zoom/Full/Panel Not Changing

Starting a little bit ago, on all channels, the Zoom/Full/Panel has ceased working. It looks to be on Panel (I always keep it set to Zoom, and in the TiVo settings, it shows as being set to Zoom) but there are black borders around a square picture, which I believe is Panel mode.

I've changed to several different channels with different programming and they are all the same. Hitting the button on the remote to switch modes does nothing.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
kokishin

Have you checked the Aspect ratio setting on your TV? Perhaps it changed.

FWIW, I have a Pro which I set to Panel with all video resolutions enabled (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p). Panasonic plasma is set to Full. On HD channels, I get full screen. On SD channels, I get 4:3 with black bars arranged appropriately (instead of stretching). Just my preference.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Toni

Thanks for the response. I am thinking now that it is a TWC issue. Our channel lineup is changing today, my TiVo still hasn't gotten the memo, and the issue started this morning. I'm not seeing it happen anymore so I think it may have been something with the way TWC was broadcasting earlier.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
davidnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Starting a little bit ago, on all channels, the Zoom/Full/Panel has ceased working. It looks to be on Panel (I always keep it set to Zoom, and in the TiVo settings, it shows as being set to Zoom) but there are black borders around a square picture, which I believe is Panel mode.

I've changed to several different channels with different programming and they are all the same. Hitting the button on the remote to switch modes does nothing.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm having the same problem. I have a Roamio Plus, only a few weeks old. The Zoom function initially worked on any channel. Now it won't work at all, Live TV or Recordings.

davidnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Toni

I think mine was a Time Warner issue. They were transitioning all channels to digital/HD and I believe that during that transition, things were messed up with the zoom/panel issue.

After a couple of weeks, I noticed that the TiVo appears to be displaying the best sized picture for the channel that is on. For example, when I watch old movies on TCM, it displays in panel mode, but when I switch to a new show on ABC, it goes to zoom - or at least some manner of full screen. Zoom used to sometimes cut off the tops of people's heads, but now I see the entire picture on a full (zoomed) screen.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
davidnnc

Well, as it turns out, TWC is scheduled to convert to all digital here on May 5th. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

davidnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Zoom will not work on an HD channel or recording, it will only work on an SD recording or channel.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Zoom will not work on an HD channel or recording, it will only work on an SD recording or channel.
Thanks - that explains why the display just worked after the TWC transition.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
joblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Not exactly.

If the content is flagged 16:9, whether HD or SD, zoom works if and only if your TiVo is configured for a 4:3 TV set.

If the content is flagged 4:3, zoom works if and only if your TiVo is configured for a 16:9 TV set.

Note that the aspect flag often does not match the actual picture. All HD signals are flagged 16:9 even if they are showing pillarboxed 4:3 or even window boxed 16:9, so it would be nice if zoom worked regardless.

This is one way TiVo has generally compared unfavorably with most provider DVRs. Every provider DVR I've ever seen (Verizon FiOS, Comcast, AT&T Uverse, and older Cox boxes) except one (Cox Contour) will zoom HD on 16:9 sets just fine.

Contour, however, is worse even that TiVo. It apparently does not zoom at all, only stretch, and only SD channels, apparently ignoring the aspect flag altogether.

joblo is offline   Reply With Quote