TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Parenthood Series Finale - 01/29/2015

I'll be careful with spoilers since it just aired last night, but I really enjoyed the finale. I know this type of show is not a huge cup of tea for many folks on this forum, but I will really miss this show.

I think they did a great job with all of the story lines.

Gosh, it's hard to talk about it without wanting to spoil.

Anyways, one of the real bright spots for me is seeing a comedic person such as Ray Romano take on and just nail a dramatic role. Hopefully his arc of being an adult who realizes he has Asperger's will help raise awareness, at least a bit.

Spoiler:
I called them killing Zeek months ago. My wife insisted they wouldn't do it, but they did and I think they handled it well. Using the flash forwards to show moving on from a death and that people move on and continue to grow was bittersweet.

Spoiler:
It was awesome to see Max's big smile at his graduation

Spoiler:
I'm glad Crosby decided to give the Luncheonette a go on his own. I knew that would be the case

There's some links to interviews with Jason Katims who discusses a lot of the decisions that went into the making of the finale.

This will obviously have spoilers, so don't read them until after you have watched:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/01/29...-series-finale

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...m-jason-767950

Goodbye @nbcparenthood. It has been a pleasure hanging out with you!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

All Things Considered did a piece on the finale. I would think it would be available online if anybody wanted to give it a listen,

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Thanks!

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/29/382413...-small-moments

Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
gweempose

I don't see how we can have a thorough discussion of the finale without spoilers. Why would someone possibly read this thread if they haven't watched it yet?

(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I sometimes will sort of peek at a thread to get a feel for if people liked it or not without trying to see too much detail.

it's not hard though to hit the spoiler links. but I agree in general...just trying to hold back for a bit......

Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Satchel

I liked the finale...liked the series...

The one part I found hard to believe...Christina is watching Adam's business fail, and she's been getting offers for a job that would evidently pay enough so Adam wouldn't have to work, but she just kept it to herself...and she decides to tell him when he really does finally get a job that will pay the bills?

Yeah...right.

Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I don't see how we can have a thorough discussion of the finale without spoilers. Why would someone possibly read this thread if they haven't watched it yet?
I've never watched a single episode

doubt if I ever will

too many other things to do

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
I liked the finale...liked the series...

The one part I found hard to believe...Christina is watching Adam's business fail, and she's been getting offers for a job that would evidently pay enough so Adam wouldn't have to work, but she just kept it to herself...and she decides to tell him when he really does finally get a job that will pay the bills?

Yeah...right.
I thought that was odd, too. Why wouldn't have she told him earlier?

I had no idea how they were going to be able to wrap it up in a one hour episode, but they managed to do it and do it pretty well!

StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post

I had no idea how they were going to be able to wrap it up in a one hour episode, but they managed to do it and do it pretty well!
Agreed. The flashing forward in time worked very well and gave some nice closure to the various storylines. I hope the HIMYM people were taking notes on how to properly execute a series finale.

(3) Minis

Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
David Platt
!Texas

TC CLUB MEMBER
No need for spoiler tags. If the title contains an OAD or an episode title, spoilers are allowed and expected.

David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
David Platt
!Texas

TC CLUB MEMBER
The one thing that overjoyed me the most about the episode was the totally unexpected adoption of Victor's little sister. It was a perfect new start for Joel & Julia, and watching them pretend they hadn't already made up their minds was endearing.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Robin
#DistractinglySexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
All Things Considered did a piece on the finale. I would think it would be available online if anybody wanted to give it a listen,
Thanks! I'll listen to it tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
I've never watched a single episode

doubt if I ever will

too many other things to do
I am utterly baffled as to why you would even open the thread, much less comment.

As for the episode:

No need for spoiler warnings. It's an episode thread. Spoiler tags don't work on android/forum runner so it is a significant inconvenience for some people.

Loved J&J getting the new baby. First misdirect: it's Julia's ex-boyfriend on the phone. Second misdirect: there's a problem with Victor's adoption. Then BAM! New baby. Them trying to convince themselves and each other they weren't going to take the baby was just precious.

Although a new baby and a puppy? They are out of their minds.

Hank asking Max to be the photographer. That was amazing. No one is as picky about photography as a photographer so that was an incredible vote of confidence.

I'm glad that Amber and Ryan didn't end up together and that she found someone.

Nice to see Haddie again. Amazing the actress remembered how to play her.

Not sure what to think about Kristina and the job. I hadn't thought about it being a dick move to not tell Adam about it when he was struggling with finances so now I'm going to have to fanwank an alternative. Maybe without her -or- Adam she knew Chambers would fail so it was only an option once he was able to step in as headmaster which he couldn't do with The Lunchonette still open.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post

Nice to see Haddie again ...

That brief scene was one of the highlights of the episode for us. We have a daughter with Asperger's, and I only hope that one day her brother will feel the same way about her as Haddie came to feel about Max.

(3) Minis

Last edited by gweempose; 01-31-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
David Platt
!Texas

TC CLUB MEMBER
Another very nice Joel/Julia moment I caught when re-watching the final montage:

in the scene set a few years in the future with Joel & Julia's family opening the gift with the puppy in it on Christmas, there are four kids: Sydney, Victor, Victor's bio sister, and a brand new, very blonde baby.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
Robin
#DistractinglySexy

Four kids like the original Bravermans. Given that the baby's in blue it's probably the same gender mix, too: two boys, two girls.

Jasmine is pregnant so they're on their way to three.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #16
zalusky

Well at least they didn't go to far in the future and do an "Adam Braverman/Nate Fisher" and everybody dies. Did anybody think that for a moment?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
unixadm
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm glad that Amber and Ryan didn't end up together and that she found someone. .
Anyone else notice that Amber's new significant other was also from Friday Night Lights as was the actor who played Ryan?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #18
mr.unnatural

I stopped watching it part way through the previous season. I got tired of the way all of the characters just talked over each other anytime they tried to have a conversation. It just got to be downright annoying after a while. I liked the show, but when I had to make a decision to trim some of the shows from my lineup because I didn't have enough time to watch time all, this was one of the first to go. When I saw it was in it's final season anyway I wasn't all that upset about dropping it.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:52 AM   #19
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
Anyone else notice that Amber's new significant other was also from Friday Night Lights as was the actor who played Ryan?
Yep. Scott Porter. I noticed that right away. I recall there have been 3 other actors from "FNL" on "Parenthood" over the years. Minka Kelly, Journey Smollett, and Michael B. Jordan. (doing this by memory, rather than looking it up)

I think from now on, I will give anything that Katims is involved in a shot...

StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Cainebj

I thought it was OK.
Mostly future video montages over music and that was OK too.
I enjoyed guessing what each tableau was telling us...

The one that I wasn't sure what they were saying was Amber's.
So she has a new man but her baby Daddy shows up to dinner with a child?

There were some silly let's wrap this up - as mentioned the sudden job - and I hate it when we have a bunch of episodes of getting rid of the luncheonette, no we're keeping it, no we're not, oh hey I will do it on my own.

Personally, I think - I'm spoiling this cos no one has said it -
Spoiler:
Zeke's death
was not necessary. Yeah yeah yeah life goes on, but it didn't have much emotional impact for me.

Last edited by Cainebj; 01-31-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #21
scooterboy
Very Clean

I liked it, but have a couple of facial hair questions.

1) What was with Drew's teeny-tiny moustache? It looked comical.

2) Hank couldn't shave for his own wedding?

I'll miss the show, but I won't miss my anxiety level increasing during most scenes with Max. Means the kid is a good actor I guess.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I stopped watching it part way through the previous season. I got tired of the way all of the characters just talked over each other anytime they tried to have a conversation. It just got to be downright annoying after a while. I liked the show, but when I had to make a decision to trim some of the shows from my lineup because I didn't have enough time to watch time all, this was one of the first to go. When I saw it was in it's final season anyway I wasn't all that upset about dropping it.

Pretty much the same for me. I've tried various times to watch but wasn't able to pay attention for 42 min.

Did read an interview with Nelson, he didn't seem to happy to see the show end.

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #23
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Spoiler:

I liked it. I really did think Zeke would die. And I like the way they handled that. I figured the Luncheonette would survive, but I thought it would be with Amber patterning up with Crosby. It wasn't totally clear to me if that happened or not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #24
dbranco

I thought it was a fitting ending to a wonderful show. Left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling for the family's future. Most satisfying part of the hour (for me) -- the beautiful smile on Max's face upon receiving his diploma.

dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #25
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
I am utterly baffled as to why you would even open the thread, much less comment.
Sorry, you're posting in the wrong thread.

But, yeah. God forbid everybody felt the need to post something like that in every thread.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
Robin
#DistractinglySexy

Amber and Crosby did partner up for the Luncheonette.

Crosby said he would be the new Adam and Amber would be his Crosby.

Also: the actress who plays Amber is impossibly short. Wow.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #27
David Platt
!Texas

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

The one that I wasn't sure what they were saying was Amber's.
So she has a new man but her baby Daddy shows up to dinner with a child?
The child he showed up with was Zeke Jr., his own child with Amber. Ryan had him for (day/weekend/outing) and was returning him back to Amber, who was having dinner with her new husband (or boyfriend?) and their child.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #28
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Amber and Crosby did partner up for the Luncheonette.

Crosby said he would be the new Adam and Amber would be his Crosby.

Also: the actress who plays Amber is impossibly short. Wow.
But several times, he kept saying he was running it on his own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #29
gastrof
Never wear crispness

Location: We would like the tuna garden but for the standing. Velvilio has not the plastic sheet. Do not take marmosets that you cannot paint in the encapsulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

That brief scene was one of the highlights of the episode for us. We have a daughter with Asberger's...
The condition is called "Asperger's".

Old 01-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #30
gastrof
Never wear crispness

Location: We would like the tuna garden but for the standing. Velvilio has not the plastic sheet. Do not take marmosets that you cannot paint in the encapsulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Sorry, you're posting in the wrong thread.

But, yeah. God forbid everybody felt the need to post something like that in every thread.
No, she was replying to something said in THIS thread, and so THIS was the thread for her to reply in.

Also, it is very strange that someone would open the thread for a show they never watched, and comment that they never have watched it and never will.

What could possibly be the reason for doing that? Was it to "spoil the atmosphere"?

She was right. It was VERY strange.