TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #31
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I guess I'm in a minority as I thought it was terrible! And I usually DO like Andy Samberg! Someone commented that most of the humor was adolescent and I agree. Now I'm not the most sophisticated person, but to me the humor was TOO adolescent and not all that funny at that! I'll give it a few more tries but I for one am pretty disappointed with it.

I also tried Dads and it was so horrible that I won't even give it any more tries.

Amazing that a media like TV can have such great shows as Breaking Bad and some stinkers like the above shows!

Gerry
Totally agree with everything you said. I'll give it two more shows before making mind up.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #32
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

So, I couldn't be sure (and couldn't be bothered to back up and check) because it went by so fast: was the disco strangler played by Kevin McDonald? Also there was an SNL alum as one of the people in the apartment when they went door to door but I'm spacing on who it was (2am, I should be asleep...)

My wife wonders when the special episode with JT in it will be...
Old 09-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #33
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Also there was an SNL alum as one of the people in the apartment when they went door to door but I'm spacing on who it was (2am, I should be asleep...)

My wife wonders when the special episode with JT in it will be...
Yes, Fred Armisen was one of the people who opened the door when they went doorknocking.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 AM   #34
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Yes, Fred Armisen was one of the people who opened the door when they went doorknocking.
He was listed as one of the cast in the email that TiVo sent. I thought he was going to be part of the show, not just a cameo.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #35
Peter000

The pilot of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is free on iTunes, if you missed it. (And also, as mentioned upthread, airing again tonight).
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #36
WhiskeyTango

Didn't find it funny at all, not even a grin. I didn't find Parks & Rec funny either so it makes sense that this wouldn't pass for me.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #37
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Quick guess - Dads drops low, B99 holds steady, Fox brings back Raising Hope into the 7pm slot.

It would make this viewer happy.
I think Fox is pretty much committed to airing Raising Hope on Fridays now, especially as it recently announced that they will be airing it in an hour block (and holding back on the Enlisted premiere until at least January). If Dads does get cancelled, I think New Girl repeats fill the slot, at least for the short term.

The only real problem I had with B99 was the "bet" storyline - I can't see any good way how that plays out.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #38
lambertman
Not single!

I assumed I would love this, since the P&R guys created it, it got glowing reviews from everybody I trust, and I don't hate Samberg. But I was not feeling it after the pilot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #39
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I enjoyed it and it's on a season pass. At least for awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #40
markymark_ctown

as posted elsewhere:

Caught the pilot last night and thought it showed promised, especially since Andy Samberg is hilarious imho. Seemed to get good reviews elsewhere.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #41
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I liked it in the same way I liked Arrested Development and Better Off Ted, although nowhere near as much. More appreciation of weird, dry humor than rolling on the floor laughing.

And I hasten to add, I am in no way saying this show is in the same league as AD and BOT...just that it has a similar vibe to it. Just less successful.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #42
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I liked it in the same way I liked Arrested Development and Better Off Ted, although nowhere near as much. More appreciation of weird, dry humor than rolling on the floor laughing.
How dare you say this show is in the same league as AD or Better Off Ted?!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #43
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

You should write pull-quotes for movie posters! "...this show is in the same league as AD and BOT."—Rob Helmerichs
Old 09-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #44
Tracy
Truly

We were really disappointed with this show. I really like the three main actors but found the humor to be completely not my style. We watched the first half silently and then at the commercial turned to each other and said, "Done". Didn't finish it.

I did the same thing with Community and that turned out to be pretty popular....sometimes shows need time to ripen, I guess.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #45
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
We liked it. Neither of us are Andy Samberg fans. He's just a tad goofy/silly for me, and not in a super-entertaining-funny kinda way. He's not as bad as Josh Gad, who was unwatchable in 1600 Penn.

In this case, the story was well-written, and the rest of the characters were pretty darn good. So we can overlook him for now.
I thought Andy Samberg is fine. I didn't watch him that much on SNL.

The rest of the ensemble looks good. Perez(?) has a crazy body with long legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
There have been lots of comparisons to Barney Miller. In BM, the characters were odd, and had idiosyncrasies. Here, AS is just silly. IMHO, there is a difference between odd and silly.

Nonetheless, entertaining 30 minutes, SP survives!
Exactly - was going to say it's a Barney Miller take, with wacky cops but some occasional serious crimes.

Cops, BTW, like Dennis Farina and my brother said that Barney Miller was the most realistic portrayal of the real job of cops.

Spoiler:
So....somehow they detect at the murder scene that there's a luxury gourmet ham missing, (you can tell that it took up this space?) Then go to the nearest deli where it could have been purchased, and Ratso behind the counter is the perp? He stole it back? Right.

I'm sure it's just me but there's something weird about how Andre Braughter always is flopping his big pink tongue. He's still a good choice for the role.

I'm glad I set this SP when I saw the previews. I think it'll wear just fine. Let's see where they take it.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 09-19-2013 at 06:16 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #46
JYoung
Series 3

I almost took a pass on this because of Andy Samberg and the pilot was a little lackluster.

Andre Braugher will keep me coming back for at least a few episodes though.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #47
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
He [Fred Armisen] was listed as one of the cast in the email that TiVo sent. I thought he was going to be part of the show, not just a cameo.
I would be happy if Fred appeared as a different character in every episode.

I was also pleased that, if the new "normal" in Hollywood is that there has to be a mandatory gay character in every show, Braugher was not told to act flamboyantly. It just happens to be part of his character, but is not everything about his character.

Not a big Samberg fan, but was surprised that I liked this.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #48
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I would be happy if Fred appeared as a different character in every episode.
Love that idea.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #49
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

It'll get a few more viewings from me. I didn't LOVE it, but I also didn't hate it at all, either.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #50
mattack

I thought it was pretty funny, and except for Denis Leary's cop show, can't think of another _vaguely_ serious cop sitcom. Yes, I admit that is adding more exceptions, since there's Barney Miller, but that was more of a workplace comedy where they HAPPEN to be cops.. This is a cop show where they actually go out and arrest people, that's funny.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #51
wprager

Few laughs, but much of it felt awkward, like they are still trying to find their characters. Definitely not giving up on it yet.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #52
mr.unnatural

I was hesitant about this show and hadn't really planned to record it, but it was getting hyped so much by the critics I thought I'd give it a shot. The wife and I both watched it Thursday evening and neither of us cared much for it. There were some moments of absolute silliness, but overall it seemed like a drama that was trying to force itself to be funny. I should have stuck with my original gut feeling.

Season pass deleted. I might have stuck with it longer but I only have so many hours available for TV viewing and I have to weed out any shows that don't grab me right off the bat. I've been a huge Andre Braugher fan since Homicide, but did they really have to make him gay?
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #53
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

And I hasten to add, I am in no way saying this show is in the same league as AD and BOT...just that it has a similar vibe to it. Just less successful.
This is an excellent observation. That's how I felt. Seemed similar in humor to those two shows (I think closer to BOT than AD). Not laugh out loud funny, but chuckles and smirks all around. We liked it and gave it an SP. And I'm not a P&R or The Office (USA version) fan.

Dads, what a shame to waste a good cast on that dreck.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #54
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I almost took a pass on this because of Andy Samberg and the pilot was a little lackluster.

Andre Braugher will keep me coming back for at least a few episodes though.

Same here. The reviews were excellent and I love Braugher in anything so I had high hopes going in. I was really disappointed. However, the pedigree of the creator gives me hope for the future and I'll give it a few more episodes. I'll hope it takes the same path as Community, 30 Rock and Parks & Rec with a few weak early episodes before it takes off.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #55
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought it was pretty funny, and except for Denis Leary's cop show, can't think of another _vaguely_ serious cop sitcom. Yes, I admit that is adding more exceptions, since there's Barney Miller, but that was more of a workplace comedy where they HAPPEN to be cops.. This is a cop show where they actually go out and arrest people, that's funny.
Reno 911!? :-)
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #56
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Season pass deleted. I might have stuck with it longer but I only have so many hours available for TV viewing and I have to weed out any shows that don't grab me right off the bat.
I can understand that, although with sitcoms you often have to give them a few episodes to gel. If there's anything there I like, and especially if there are people involved who've proven they can do good stuff in the past, I'll give it some slack. On the other hand, I canned Dads almost before the end of the first show so sometimes it's clear there's no there there, even with a Seth Green involved.

Quote:
I've been a huge Andre Braugher fan since Homicide, but did they really have to make him gay?
Uh... really?? The guy's not mincing around in hotpants
Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #57
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
It's the thought that counts.

Apparently.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #58
mr.unnatural

Quote:
That's Lieutenant Dangle, not Andre Braugher. While they haven't (yet) had him parading around in hot pants, the fact that they had to mention he was gay was completely unnecessary. I'm no homophobe, but it seems like every other show on TV has to have at least one gay person in the cast. It's worked great on some shows (Will and Grace and Modern Family), but I think the entire premise is being overdone. It seems like Hollywood is trying to convince us that gays are becoming a majority. It's like they feel that in order for a sitcom to actually be funny they have to throw a gay person into the mix.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #59
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
It seems like Hollywood is trying to convince us that gays are becoming a majority.
I think your math might need a little work here...
Old 09-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #60
TonyD79

Quote:
That's Lieutenant Dangle, not Andre Braugher. While they haven't (yet) had him parading around in hot pants, the fact that they had to mention he was gay was completely unnecessary. I'm no homophobe, but it seems like every other show on TV has to have at least one gay person in the cast. It's worked great on some shows (Will and Grace and Modern Family), but I think the entire premise is being overdone. It seems like Hollywood is trying to convince us that gays are becoming a majority. It's like they feel that in order for a sitcom to actually be funny they have to throw a gay person into the mix.
Yes. A new phenomenon. Never happened before.

Right.

"Gay" characters have been in sitcoms for decades. Now they just identify them.