TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
JeffU

RF remote pairing - interference problems!

Hi TiVo Folks,

Sharing this in the hope it may help someone else.

I received a new Roamio Pro this week and had all kinds of trouble pairing the remote(s) in RF mode. I had the remote that came with the unit and had purchased a slide pro to get the keyboard. After spending a bunch of time trying to get them to pair, reading these forums etc... I finally broke down and contacted TiVo support. After >1 hour on-line trying all kinds of things we started turning off other items that could be interfering with the RF signals... eventually a Comcast DVR box sat on top of the TiVo Roamio was turned off and the pairing worked just fine... and since then all devices powered back on and both RF remotes are working just fine.

So the moral of this story is the Roamio Pro appears to be susceptible to RF interference (specifically during the pairing mode).

Regards,

Jeff.

JeffU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffU View Post
Hi TiVo Folks, Sharing this in the hope it may help someone else. I received a new Roamio Pro this week and had all kinds of trouble pairing the remote(s) in RF mode. I had the remote that came with the unit and had purchased a slide pro to get the keyboard. After spending a bunch of time trying to get them to pair, reading these forums etc... I finally broke down and contacted TiVo support. After >1 hour on-line trying all kinds of things we started turning off other items that could be interfering with the RF signals... eventually a Comcast DVR box sat on top of the TiVo Roamio was turned off and the pairing worked just fine... and since then all devices powered back on and both RF remotes are working just fine. So the moral of this story is the Roamio Pro appears to be susceptible to RF interference (specifically during the pairing mode). Regards, Jeff.
The real moral of the story should be....."if you have a Roamio pro, why on earth would you still be using a comcast DVR, especially since TiVo offers the xfinity app, so on demand isn't a differentiator."

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Hi TiVo Folks,

Sharing this in the hope it may help someone else.

I received a new Roamio Pro this week and had all kinds of trouble pairing the remote(s) in RF mode. I had the remote that came with the unit and had purchased a slide pro to get the keyboard. After spending a bunch of time trying to get them to pair, reading these forums etc... I finally broke down and contacted TiVo support. After >1 hour on-line trying all kinds of things we started turning off other items that could be interfering with the RF signals... eventually a Comcast DVR box sat on top of the TiVo Roamio was turned off and the pairing worked just fine... and since then all devices powered back on and both RF remotes are working just fine.

So the moral of this story is the Roamio Pro appears to be susceptible to RF interference (specifically during the pairing mode).

Regards,

Jeff.
I know my parents Comcast box uses an RF remote. Maybe the Tivo and the Comcast box were trying to use the same frequency? That would casue issues.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
JeffU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
The real moral of the story should be....."if you have a Roamio pro, why on earth would you still be using a comcast DVR, especially since TiVo offers the xfinity app, so on demand isn't a differentiator."
Hi Dave,

Good point! I've had TiVo for >10 years but still needed the Comcast box for on-demand etc... and my old HDXL could only record Two shows so we did occasionally run into a scheduling conflict... in the process of transitioning to the Roamio Pro now and a couple of other boxes will be de-commissioned very very soon :-)

Thanks,

Jeff.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
JeffU

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I know my parents Comcast box uses an RF remote. Maybe the Tivo and the Comcast box were trying to use the same frequency? That would casue issues.
Hi aaronwt,

Maybe - that would explain things... we turned off a bunch of things in turn that could have been interfering (Sonos, WiFi access point, AV receiver, Xbox 360, LG OLED TV (RF remote too?)... eventually the Comcast box appeared to be the culprit... Anyway - just wanted to share this sensitivity with others in case they run into RF pairing issues... I burned a couple of hours on this in total trying a bunch of different things... if it saves others the some time then great!

Cheers,

Jeff.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Hi Dave, Good point! I've had TiVo for >10 years but still needed the Comcast box for on-demand etc... and my old HDXL could only record Two shows so we did occasionally run into a scheduling conflict... in the process of transitioning to the Roamio Pro now and a couple of other boxes will be de-commissioned very very soon :-) Thanks, Jeff.
S'all good Jeff! TiVo has and on demand for xfinity for awhile now, so you really didn't need the comcast box just for that. Were you getting it for free?

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
jack2377

RF remote pairing interference

Similar interference problem here. I picked up a new Roamio Pro a couple weeks ago and could not get the new RF remote (Slide Pro) to pair. I spent a good hour on the phone with a Tivo CSR trying all kinds of different codes and sequences to no avail. Tivo shipped a replacement Slide Pro remote and that also failed to pair.

Previously I had tried shutting down most of the RF devices in the house, but was still unsuccessful with pairing. Like most, we have a ton of RF devices in the house (WiFi, bluetooth, wifi extenders, cordless phones, cell phones, game systems, etc). Rather than kill every RF device in the house, I decided to remove the Roamio from the house. I took the Roamio out to the shed (no, not the wood shed) out back, closed the metal clad doors and booted the Tivo. This allowed the Slide Pro to pair with the Roamio! I was then able to bring the Roamio back into the house, install it in the AV center, and the remote still worked in RF mode.

I haven’t been able to determine what frequency or transmission technology the Roamio RF remotes use, so I don’t know what was causing the interference. All I know is that it was something in the house. If anybody knows the RF frequency/technology used by the remote I would really like to know.

So I would suggest turning all other RF gear off, or moving the Tivo to an area with less RF if you are having troubles pairing your remote in RF mode.

jack2377 is offline   Reply With Quote