Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyhoundR View Post
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I could not find the answer easily searching the forums or the net.

What version of the MoCA spec is the Roamio? the 1.1 270 Mb/s spec or the 2.0 400+ Mb/s spec?

Thanks.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #32
GreyhoundR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
Thanks so much, that's helpful to know as I plan out a new network.
GreyhoundR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
After going through Guided Setup on the Pro, should I wait 24 hours before connecting and going through Guided Setup on the Mini's?
It comes down to what shows up in your Tivo.com account. At first there will be a message saying to wait up to 24 hours for activation of your Pro to complete. It could be shorter than that. So just keep an eye on your account. That's basically it.

You can physically connect the Minis anytime you want. You'll just hit a wall if you go through the guided setup too early and may have to power cycle it to restart it later (no biggie).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-18-2013 at 10:31 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #34
skid71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
It comes down to what shows up in your Tivo.com account. At first there will be a message saying to wait up to 24 hours for activation of your Pro to complete. It could be shorter than that. So just keep an eye on your account. That's basically it.

You can physically connect the Minis anytime you want. You'll just hit a wall if you go through the guided setup too early and may have to power cycle it to restart it later (no biggie).
Expecting delivery tomorrow from UPS.

I'm going to proceed with hookup on the Mini's, but wait on the Guided Setup until sometime Saturday. Thanks for the tip on keeping an eye on my TiVo account. I've got a little checklist of what to do and in what order. I only have to work 2 hours tomorrow. And then the fun begins.

I was able to sell our Moxi whole-home setup, combine that with winnings from a contest to pay for the Roamio Pro, 2 Mini's and service for all three.

Pretty blessed and extremely excited to see that brown truck tomorrow.

See you tomorrow.

Skid
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #35
skid71

I could use some help if possible.
I'm installing a Mini at the location where the coax from the outlet is connected to a MoCA adapter (Coax in), then MoCA adapter (Coax Out) is connected to the cable modem.

But now I'm left without a coax run for the Mini.

Do I need to split the coax coming from MoCA adapter (coax out)?

Or can the Mini be connected by an Ethernet cable only? In this case the Ethernet cable is connected to the MoCA adapter.

I'm a little fuzzy on this one.
Sure appreciate the help.

Skid

Off to connect the Roamio Pro and go through guided setup.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #36
jmpage2

What is plugged into that MoCA adapter? What is it doing? The Mini has its own moca adapter.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #37
moyekj

If the Mini is sitting by a router then you don't need MoCA for it - connect it by ethernet to router switch. You don't need to use coax at all for the Mini in your situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Or put a splitter in if you want and use MoCA.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #39
skid71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
What is plugged into that MoCA adapter? What is it doing? The Mini has its own moca adapter.
Sorry, I should have just asked, "Is it ok to connect a Mini via Ethernet instead of coax?"

I was trying to paint a picture and failed miserably.

Please excuse my absence. I've been playing with new toys.

Last edited by skid71 : 09-20-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #40
skid71

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If the Mini is sitting by a router then you don't need MoCA for it - connect it by ethernet to router switch. You don't need to use coax at all for the Mini in your situation.
Thank you for this post. This is what I was looking for. I would also like to thank you for KMTTG. I haven't had time to thoroughly research it, however reading about KMTTG lead me to DVR Commander. Now THAT is good stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Skid
Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #41
skid71

I would like to thank not only those that helped by posting in this thread, but the entire TiVo Community. Many hours were spent over the past few months reading threads, trying to familiarize myself with TiVo. Today's Pro + 2 Mini installation would not have went as smoothly as it did without you all.

I'm extremely impressed with the initial experience. Just got the 2nd Mini updated and remote control for that TV set.

Roamio Pro is connected via coax. Chose MoCA network in Guided Setup. No issues at all. Cablecard pairing was painless, (Comcast) and we even have Comcast VOD already. I'm sure it's placebo, but the picture looks a bit clearer/sharper to me. (previously owned Moxi HD DVR)

Mini #1 install in the great room went without a hitch as well. Connected via Ethernet (from a MoCA adapter connected wireless router)...thanks moyekj. No Comcast VOD yet, and can't remember if it's working on the Mini's or not yet.

Mini #2 install in the master bedroom was just as easy. Connected via coax only. Smooth, easy, painless to set up.

Sincere thanks for everyone that helped and chimed in. I hope to be able to pass along some knowledge for other TiVo owners in the future.

Now it's time to setup some season passes!

Cordially,
Jeff Skidmore
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #42
BigJimOutlaw

Glad everything turned out well.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #43
bob61

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Or put a splitter in if you want and use MoCA.
Are there particular specs that are needed for coax splitter for use with Moca? I tried a standard coax 2-way splitter i had laying around and my Mini was unable to get Moca connection. Thanks
bob61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #44
a1tiguy

Jeff...new to this thread so please excuse if I ask dumb questions...having a heck of a time getting my Moca network up...I bought three Actiontec adaptors and may have damaged them somehow, so bought three more on the internet (diff brand) just in case...I haven't seen anyone address the host/client switch on the back...can you shed any light there??..let me paint you a picture of my intended network...

Moca at cable modem, with Premiere XL next to it,ethernet to router

Roamio base model with Moca in bedroom

Another Premier XL in den with Moca

I really need a diagram or explanation of the Moca adaptor wired to the TA, because I'm seeing diagrams explaining to route around the TA and now I'm totally confused...

Thanks for any help you can give me!! Terry
a1tiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #45
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tiguy View Post
Jeff...new to this thread so please excuse if I ask dumb questions...having a heck of a time getting my Moca network up...I bought three Actiontec adaptors and may have damaged them somehow, so bought three more on the internet (diff brand) just in case...I haven't seen anyone address the host/client switch on the back...can you shed any light there??..let me paint you a picture of my intended network...

Moca at cable modem, with Premiere XL next to it,ethernet to router

Roamio base model with Moca in bedroom

Another Premier XL in den with Moca

I really need a diagram or explanation of the Moca adaptor wired to the TA, because I'm seeing diagrams explaining to route around the TA and now I'm totally confused...

Thanks for any help you can give me!! Terry
Plug XL4 at cable modem location into the router with Ethernet and into the coax network via splitter etc. turn on moca bridge in this XL4 and it will provide the moca network to the other devices.

2nd XL4 just turn on moca no adapter needed.

Roamio base. Plug it into the Ethernet port of the a actiontec adapter and set the adapter to client mode.

You need one moca adapter in your setup not three.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #46
a1tiguy

Thanks, but my Premiere is not an XL4 , just an older XL (no moca capability)...I'm pretty sure I can get the host up and running, but am confused as to the wiring diagram at the Roamio (well, and /or the other XL) because of the TA issues...the TA doesn't seem to like the coax going through the adaptor first but am going to need a real simplified explanation of the wiring...also, if and when I get to the point where the adaptors seem to have the correct lights on, do I tell Network settings to assign the IP addy on its own or choose the other "give me the IP addy, subnet mask, etc?
a1tiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #47
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tiguy View Post
Thanks, but my Premiere is not an XL4 , just an older XL (no moca capability)...I'm pretty sure I can get the host up and running, but am confused as to the wiring diagram at the Roamio (well, and /or the other XL) because of the TA issues...the TA doesn't seem to like the coax going through the adaptor first but am going to need a real simplified explanation of the wiring...also, if and when I get to the point where the adaptors seem to have the correct lights on, do I tell Network settings to assign the IP addy on its own or choose the other "give me the IP addy, subnet mask, etc?
At the router put the MoCA adapter into host mode. All of the other MoCA adapters are clients. Any time you need something to get a signal without going through the MoCA adapter (like your tuning adapter) you need to split the coaxial cable at the wall outlet, before it goes into the MoCA adapter.

If you are still having issues you might consider drawing a diagram yourself of what you are doing, starting a new thread with that diagram and asking the experts for opinions, rather than asking the experts to build you a diagram.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
Are there particular specs that are needed for coax splitter for use with Moca? I tried a standard coax 2-way splitter i had laying around and my Mini was unable to get Moca connection. Thanks
Some people have needed to get splitters that handled 1.5Ghz or higher. Although I had no issues with MoCA using 1Ghz splitters. A FiOS supplied eight way splitter and a few of my own two way splitters.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #49
skid71

It's been an extremely busy day and haven't had time to play with the Roamio and Mini's today.

I did experience something kind of curious though.
This is in reference to the Pro, which is located in the theater room.
Added a code the worked to control volume on our AVR.
But today volume up/down no longer controls the AVR volume. Is there something I'm missing?
Is there a way to power the AVR on with the Roamio remote? My wife is a HUGE fan of the Roamio remote over the Logitech we currently use. It's a great feeling remote with nice ergonomics.

Thanks

Last edited by skid71 : 09-21-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #50
BigJimOutlaw

It worked and then stopped? Was something else paired after the AVR? I don't have a lot of experience pairing multiple devices but they might need to be paired in the order given on the menu screen... Part 1 (TV), then Part 2 (AVR), Part 3 (TV Input) if needed, etc.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-22-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
I WANT MORE

To be clear here..... If I have a Roamio Plus that is cat5 hardwired and I want to use a Premier in a location that has only coax I will not need any additional hardware. Is this correct? I do not need any additional moca adapters or wireless adapters? Thanks
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #52
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
To be clear here..... If I have a Roamio Plus that is cat5 hardwired and I want to use a Premier in a location that has only coax I will not need any additional hardware. Is this correct? I do not need any additional moca adapters or wireless adapters? Thanks
What kind of Premiere unit? 2 tuner units don't have built in MoCA. Only the 4 tuner units do.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #53
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
What kind of Premiere unit? 2 tuner units don't have built in MoCA. Only the 4 tuner units do.
2 tuner. So, I will need a moca unit for the Premier location?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #54
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
2 tuner. So, I will need a moca unit for the Premier location?
Correct.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #55
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Correct.
Thank-you.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #56
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
It's been an extremely busy day and haven't had time to play with the Roamio and Mini's today.

I did experience something kind of curious though.
This is in reference to the Pro, which is located in the theater room.
Added a code the worked to control volume on our AVR.
But today volume up/down no longer controls the AVR volume. Is there something I'm missing?
Is there a way to power the AVR on with the Roamio remote? My wife is a HUGE fan of the Roamio remote over the Logitech we currently use. It's a great feeling remote with nice ergonomics.

Thanks
Not until TiVo builds a universal learning remote for the Roamio.

I programmed my TiVo remote to control the volume on my Onkyo AVR but it is not possible to power it off or on with the remote, only volume control and mute.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #57
bob61

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Some people have needed to get splitters that handled 1.5Ghz or higher. Although I had no issues with MoCA using 1Ghz splitters. A FiOS supplied eight way splitter and a few of my own two way splitters.
Splitter I had on hand was 5-1002MHz, didn't work. I'm on Comcast and this was splitter that had included with one of their self install kits, so presume it to be of reasonable quality. Bought a 1.2Ghz splitter on Ebay that states it's for Coax Moca, hopefully does the job. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #58
lessd

Quote:
Splitter I had on hand was 5-1002MHz, didn't work. I'm on Comcast and this was splitter that had included with one of their self install kits, so presume it to be of reasonable quality. Bought a 1.2Ghz splitter on Ebay that states it's for Coax Moca, hopefully does the job. Thanks.
All my Comcast 1000Mhz splitters worked, but I did replaces them with >= 1.2Ghz ones in hopes of getting better reliably, I am using MoCA ch 15, I think your going to have a problem with your new 1.2Ghz splitters if you have a dead MoCA using the 1Ghz splitters, something else may be going on, like a split cable system with an amp you don't know about etc. (MoCA in most cases will not go through a cable amp).

Old 09-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #59
bob61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
All my Comcast 1000Mhz splitters worked, but I did replaces them with >= 1.2Ghz ones in hopes of getting better reliably, I am using MoCA ch 15, I think your going to have a problem with your new 1.2Ghz splitters if you have a dead MoCA using the 1Ghz splitters, something else may be going on, like a split cable system with an amp you don't know about etc. (MoCA in most cases will not go through a cable amp).
Currently have MoCA running fine across my system (Roamio Plus + 3 Mini's). I tapped into the Raomio MoCA client to connect to my TV and wanted to added MoCA connectivity to my Smart TV in the basement (currently running as wireless, so hoped to get wired). I do have am amp, it's just as the service comes into the house. If the MoCA is currently working fine would that amp cause issues when adding a splitter?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #60
lessd

Quote:
Currently have MoCA running fine across my system (Roamio Plus + 3 Mini's). I tapped into the Raomio MoCA client to connect to my TV and wanted to added MoCA connectivity to my Smart TV in the basement (currently running as wireless, so hoped to get wired). I do have am amp, it's just as the service comes into the house. If the MoCA is currently working fine would that amp cause issues when adding a splitter?
Not after the amp, but before the amp could kill the MoCA