Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #91
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
... I'm reminded of an episode of TOS ...
I don't mind people making fun of those of us who watch UTD.
Could you please crack the code? What is "TOS" and "UTD"?
I can't be the only one around here who is unfamiliar with these secret acronyms ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #92
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I can't be the only one around here who is unfamiliar with these secret acronyms ...
TOS is referring to The Original Series (of Star Trek, where TNG would, for example, indicate The Next Generation). Since this is a thread about "Under the Dome" (or Dumb), I will leave UTD as an exercise for the reader.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #93
awsnyde

Quote:
Oh, and someone else in this thread is also using TOS in a different context in their signature block, where it means "terms of service."
Old 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #94
TonyD79

How about

Under the D'oh (me)?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #95
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
Oh, and someone else in this thread is also using TOS in a different context in their signature block, where it means "terms of service."
An episode of Terms of Service. That was a great show. Kind of dry but such detail and texture.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #96
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
An episode of Terms of Service. That was a great show. Kind of dry but such detail and texture.
But even after watching it drone on and on, you're still not quite sure what's been said. Even the episodes you've seen before appear to have been changed at every subsequent viewing.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #97
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
TOS is referring to The Original Series (of Star Trek, where TNG would, for example, indicate The Next Generation). Since this is a thread about "Under the Dome" (or Dumb), I will leave UTD as an exercise for the reader.
The Star Trek thing I never would've gotten, and now that you explained UTD, especially in this thread, it seems obvious! Except that I had never read the acronym used before. I searched the interwebs for UTD and came up with everything (e.g. "up-to-date") EXCEPT "Under the Dome".

Back in my University daze days we were taught to initially use the full terminology and the acronym in brackets, then we could use the acronym in place of the term throughout the rest of the paper. I also learned to employ this technique in writing and reviewing legal stuff (e.g., contracts) as part of my business. It keeps things clear and concise.

People on the ethertubes come from all sorts of backgrounds, so there is obviously no consistent approach to the use of acronyms.

Thank you kindly for the clarification (TYK4TC).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by getreal : 09-19-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #98
brianric

Quote:
Back in my University daze days we were taught to initially use the full terminology and the acronym in brackets, then we could use the acronym in place of the term throughout the rest of the paper.
I was a nuclear maintenance procedure writer and this was Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) in just about all of our procedures.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #99
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
People on the ethertubes come from all sorts of backgrounds, so there is obviously no consistent approach to the use of acronyms.
It's not an acronym, it's an initialism.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #100
smbaker

Quote:
I should have called it ST:TOS, then it would have at least been a bit more obvious.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #101
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
But even after watching it drone on and on, you're still not quite sure what's been said. Even the episodes you've seen before appear to have been changed at every subsequent viewing.
I always end up using the 30-second skip a lot...

Often, I just delete it without even watching.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #102
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I always end up using the 30-second skip a lot...

Often, I just delete it without even watching.
I hate in when they force you to ff through the whole thing just to the next show.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #103
TonyD79

Quote:
The Star Trek thing I never would've gotten, and now that you explained UTD, especially in this thread, it seems obvious! Except that I had never read the acronym used before. I searched the interwebs for UTD and came up with everything (e.g. "up-to-date") EXCEPT "Under the Dome". Back in my University daze days we were taught to initially use the full terminology and the acronym in brackets, then we could use the acronym in place of the term throughout the rest of the paper. I also learned to employ this technique in writing and reviewing legal stuff (e.g., contracts) as part of my business. It keeps things clear and concise. People on the ethertubes come from all sorts of backgrounds, so there is obviously no consistent approach to the use of acronyms. Thank you kindly for the clarification (TYK4TC).

Just SOP on the WWW, FWIW.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #104
warrenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Upon reflection, here's the problem I have with this series: It is both poorly written and popular.
I agree. The networks see the ratings and will copy the formula. We're about to be hit with a huge wave of UtD and Sharknado clones.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #105
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
It's not an acronym.
Sure it is; I pronounce it utted. And toss for TOS, of course.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #106
awsnyde

Tor, the sci-fi publisher, has a hilarious review of the final episode on their website.

"It’s no small accomplishment to be number one at anything, especially when you’re as stupid as Sheriff Linda, so that’s why we should all be proud that she’s the number one stupidest law enforcement officer in the world."
Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #107
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

"This could very well be the stupidest person on the face of the earth. Perhaps we should shoot [her]."
Old 09-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #108
wprager

Quote:
Back in my University daze days we were taught to initially use the full terminology and the acronym in brackets, then we could use the acronym in place of the term throughout the rest of the paper. I also learned to employ this technique in writing and reviewing legal stuff (e.g., contracts) as part of my business. It keeps things clear and concise.
You didn't introduce "e.g." Now I have no idea what you were trying to say. I assume it is some kind of acronym.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #109
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I should have called it ST:TOS, then it would have at least been a bit more obvious.
Surely I am not the only one who does this, but I always interpret ST:TOS as Star Trek: The Old Stuff

Is there anyone on TCF that still doesn't know what IBIMB means? Surely not!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #110
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Tor, the sci-fi publisher, has a hilarious review of the final episode on their website.

"It’s no small accomplishment to be number one at anything, especially when you’re as stupid as Sheriff Linda, so that’s why we should all be proud that she’s the number one stupidest law enforcement officer in the world."
This was a great review. Says in words what so many of us (but not ALL of us) are thinking. I really liked this part...

Quote:
Lesson #3: Moms, do not try this at home! This is a lesson in what not to do. Alice the Alien tasks Julia Shumway with a Flour Sack Baby Project, giving her the glowing egg and telling her to care for it as if it’s a real baby. If she messes up she doesn’t just get an F in Health Class, but the entire human race dies. Or something (see Lesson #2). Immediately, Julia Shumway heads to a deep, dark lake and dumps the egg into it like one of those crazy baby-drowning moms. But apparently this is exactly what Alice the Alien meant when she told her to “protect” the egg. Dump it in a lake! Moms, do not dump your babies in a lake. It will not result in a pretty pink fireworks show but, instead, criminal charges.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #111
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
How about

Under the D'oh (me)?
LMAO - perfect! That's exactly how I feel - d'oh, for going through the entire season. I guess, like others, I got invested and then kept hoping for the best. Although I have to say - it was pretty clear about 2/3 of the way through that the 'best' was not going to happen. Just glad it's done, but I gave it my all.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #112
getreal
postcrastinator

Just posted this in the Breaking Bad thread and thought I should put it here as well, as Dean Norris is tied in with each show.
I suppose in THIS thread someone will moan and complain about spoiler tags, as it ties in with the latest episode of Breaking Bad, so check out the video link if you've already seen the "Ozymandias" episode:

Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #113
stellie93

Hilarious! LOL
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #114
justen_m

totally awesome!!!
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #115
warrenn

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. Very entertaining. But he left out how there is no sign of the destruction from the MOAB. When that bomb went off, everything outside was blown away. Now only a few days later, it is all perfect. It's a dome-iracle!
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #116
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
Thanks for posting that. Very entertaining. But he left out how there is no sign of the destruction from the MOAB. When that bomb went off, everything outside was blown away. Now only a few days later, it is all perfect. It's a dome-iracle!
Would the MOAB have affected everything around the dome? I would think that the dome itself blocked the far side from most of the affects of the explosion, after all the Dome is 10 miles around at it's base, right?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #117
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Would the MOAB have affected everything around the dome? I would think that the dome itself blocked the far side from most of the affects of the explosion, after all the Dome is 10 miles around at it's base, right?
Ten miles across the diameter not ten miles circumference. The circumference of the dome would be about 31 miles.

The MOAB would have only affected one side of the outside world.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #118
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Ten miles across the diameter not ten miles circumference. The circumference of the dome would be about 31 miles.

The MOAB would have only affected one side of the outside world.
It still feels very much like an abandoned plot line though. They don't show any of the area that was hit. Nobody really seems to talk about it. It's almost like it never happened.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #119
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
It still feels very much like an abandoned plot line though. They don't show any of the area that was hit. Nobody really seems to talk about it. It's almost like it never happened.
At this point, for those in the dome it wouldn't be of immediate concern.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #120
getreal
postcrastinator

The final scene of the season 1 finale shows the damage from the MOAB on one side of the dome: