TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #61
danterner
Not it!

Upon reflection, here's the problem I have with this series: It is both poorly written and popular. If it were just poorly written but not popular, it would burn out on its own. If it were well written but unpopular, I would enjoy it while it lasted, but lament it when it was canceled. If it were well written and popular, I'd enjoy it and enjoy talking about it with other fans. But the fact that it is poorly written and popular frustrates me, because its popularity means it serves as a model for future shows, and is probably dooming us to a rash of Domealikes as other networks try to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle (witness the number of LOSTalikes we still get, Siberia being the most recent). I don't want other shows to use a poorly written one as a model, though. I want them to use a well-written one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #62
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Upon reflection, here's the problem I have with this series: It is both poorly written and popular. If it were just poorly written but not popular, it would burn out on its own. If it were well written but unpopular, I would enjoy it while it lasted, but lament it when it was canceled. If it were well written and popular, I'd enjoy it and enjoy talking about it with other fans. But the fact that it is poorly written and popular frustrates me, because its popularity means it serves as a model for future shows, and is probably dooming us to a rash of Domealikes as other networks try to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle (witness the number of LOSTalikes we still get, Siberia being the most recent). I don't want other shows to use a poorly written one as a model, though. I want them to use a well-written one.
Well stated!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #63
TonyD79

Quote:
.But the fact that it is poorly written and popular frustrates me, because its popularity means it serves as a model for future shows, and is probably dooming us to a rash of Domealikes as other networks try to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle .
Under the Pyramid
Alongside the Rhombus
On the Plain
Outside the Box
Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #64
DaveMN

Why not just relax and enjoy this show for what it is: comedic gold! I hear MST3K voices in my head when this is on. Make a drinking game out of it: Whenever they ask the dome what to do, take a drink. Someone gets shot and is immediately back on their feet: drink. The possibilities are endless.
DaveMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #65
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Along those lines, there's a part of me that hopes CBS throws this on the January schedule, if only to expose it's weaknesses and it dies a quick death. Part of it's popularity is it was on during the summer when not much else is on. If it's put up against something popular during the normal TV season, I think it gets killed. Would any of us had put up with this if we had other things to watch?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Alongside the Rhombus
I'm setting up a season pass for this one right now.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #67
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Under the Pyramid
Alongside the Rhombus
On the Plain
Outside the Box
I've heard mixed reviews about "Around the Möbius Strip" - some interesting twists, but it seems to go on forever.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #68
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The dome is there to protect them, but they have to earn the light, wtf sense does that make?
It makes sense from a captor/captive standpoint.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #69
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
I've heard mixed reviews about "Around the Möbius Strip" - some interesting twists, but it seems to go on forever.
I saw the preview, seemed very one-sided.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #70
nickels
opinionated dope

The Dome went from opaque black to opaque white. Some sort symbolism for good beating evil I suppose. If the way the mini-dome came down is any clue to how the big dome comes down, they better head for cover when that eventually happens.

Also - pink stars weren't falling in lines, they were rising in lines.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #71
TonyD79

Quote:

Awesome. Wish I thought of that one.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #72
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
The Dome went from opaque black to opaque white. Some sort symbolism for good beating evil I suppose. If the way the mini-dome came down is any clue to how the big dome comes down, they better head for cover when that eventually happens.

Also - pink stars weren't falling in lines, they were rising in lines.
Depends on your point of view.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
It makes sense from a captor/captive standpoint.
I understand that in the sociopathic Jr protecting Angie sense, but (to me) it doesn't make sense for the aliens to act in that kind of irrational manner for no apparent reason.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #74
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Now that the season is over, hopefully all of you can keep your promise and not come back for season 2. Despite what these threads would have you believe every week, not everybody hates this show. I got a late start on this show and didn't start watching until episode 6. By then, everyone had decided they weren't interested in this show, yet for some reason you all kept watching every week and flooding the forum with b*tching and whining about it. I've had no interest in being the sole person posting anything positive about the show, so I just stay silent.
I'm with you at least. Although I don't post much in general, I do enjoy reading the show threads on this board, although the constant bitchfest isn't much fun. I would have thought that the people who hated the show would quit and that would be the end of it. Guess not.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #75
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
I understand that in the sociopathic Jr protecting Angie sense, but (to me) it doesn't make sense for the aliens to act in that kind of irrational manner for no apparent reason.
Except that will still don't know the motive behind it. Just because we are unaware of the reason doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #76
nyc13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I'm with you at least. Although I don't post much in general, I do enjoy reading the show threads on this board, although the constant bitchfest isn't much fun. I would have thought that the people who hated the show would quit and that would be the end of it. Guess not.
Well, they all claim to have been waiting until the end of the season, and now that that's over they've deleted their season passes. So next season these threads should be fine, right?
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #77
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
If it had simply been bad, many would have. The problem is, it turned out to be Sharknado levels of bad which pushed it into territory where mocking the show became its own reward.

Hindsight is wonderful and all, but the people who really liked the show should have started separate threads.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #78
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc13 View Post
Well, they all claim to have been waiting until the end of the season, and now that that's over they've deleted their season passes. So next season these threads should be fine, right?
Except that if the people that hate the show stop watching and stop posting, there won't be any threads.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #79
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Well, I'm just happy to finally know where the dome came from. (Sort of). Unfortunately, I had to watch it on CBS.com. I couldn't believe how dark the scenes with alien mom were. Was it that bad on TV?

When Julia dumped the egg, I kept expecting to hear: "I can't swim!" Deputy Lupo, here's a dollar. Please buy a fraking clue!

So, the egg can erect an impenetrable dome, but can't protect itself? What are you, super-intelligent aliens . . . or mice?

If the dome is going to protect this bunch, (I don't know why it would), maybe it's from an asteroid collision. Or, a gigantic solar flare. (It could happen).

I'll be back next year. If only to see the resolution of the exciting cliffhanger. Will Junior will pull the lever on Barbie?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #80
DouglasPHill

I look forward to all the people who found problems with the show to return next year. It makes the threads for this show so much more interesting. I do have one request, if anyone will remember, please continue with the title "Under the dumb...." that was so good and accurate.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #81
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I do have one request, if anyone will remember, please continue with the title "Under the dumb...." that was so good and accurate.
I disagree with that idea because it can make it difficult for people who don't know about the "dumb" to find the threads. Something like "Under the Dome (Dumb)" would be okay. Just as long as the real title of the series is intact in the thread title.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #82
smbaker

Quote:
"The thing about aliens is, they're alien"
-- Gregory Benford

It does seem like the aliens are setting the humans up with some sort of test of worthiness. We don't undestand the how or why of that test (perhaps the writers don't either). I'm reminded of an episode of TOS where aliens tested a mute woman to see if her species was worthy of saving. Perhaps the same sort of thing is going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum
Although I don't post much in general, I do enjoy reading the show threads on this board, although the constant bitchfest isn't much fun.
I enjoy it so long as it's good natured, like an episode of MST:3K. The threads about the The Following were often this way. It was fun to mock to incredibly foolish actions of the characters. B-movies are fun. They have their purpose.

The threads do sometimes degenerate from good-spirited mocking to whining about deleting season passes, and that gets a bit tedious. I don't think any of us care who does or does not delete their season pass. Time will tell whether people watch the series next season or not.

It's clear the public enjoys the show based on the ratings. I make fun of people who watch the kardashians; I don't mind people making fun of those of us who watch UTD.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #83
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I look forward to all the people who found problems with the show to return next year. It makes the threads for this show so much more interesting. I do have one request, if anyone will remember, please continue with the title "Under the dumb...." that was so good and accurate.
Maybe there should be one big seasonal "Under the Dumb" for those us who enjoy watching and mocking every week and episode threads with the correct name for those who don't.

The former viewers will subscribe and have no problem finding it.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #84
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Maybe there should be one big seasonal "Under the Dumb" for those us who enjoy watching and mocking every week and episode threads with the correct name for those who don't.

The former viewers will subscribe and have no problem finding it.
That would be awesome. I have no interest in watching the show but love the comments in the threads.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #85
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
I disagree with that idea because it can make it difficult for people who don't know about the "dumb" to find the threads. Something like "Under the Dome (Dumb)" would be okay. Just as long as the real title of the series is intact in the thread title.
I kinda like Under the Dome/b.

(Misspelling intentional)
Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #86
DouglasPHill

I vote for an entire season thread with spoilers entitled "Under the Dumb" and then people who want to post each episode can use the correct name.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #87
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
"The thing about aliens is, they're alien"
-- Gregory Benford

It does seem like the aliens are setting the humans up with some sort of test of worthiness.
Either protect or test. Doing both is, to some degree, contradictory.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #88
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Except that will still don't know the motive behind it.
That's why I said "no apparent reason"

Quote:
Just because we are unaware of the reason doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #89
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:

Then you shouldn't expect it to make sense.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #90
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Preposition the Noun

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote