TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #61
danterner
Not it!
 
danterner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Greenacres, FL
Posts: 9,377
Upon reflection, here's the problem I have with this series: It is both poorly written and popular. If it were just poorly written but not popular, it would burn out on its own. If it were well written but unpopular, I would enjoy it while it lasted, but lament it when it was canceled. If it were well written and popular, I'd enjoy it and enjoy talking about it with other fans. But the fact that it is poorly written and popular frustrates me, because its popularity means it serves as a model for future shows, and is probably dooming us to a rash of Domealikes as other networks try to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle (witness the number of LOSTalikes we still get, Siberia being the most recent). I don't want other shows to use a poorly written one as a model, though. I want them to use a well-written one.
__________________
Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #62
getreal
postcrastinator
 
getreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Upon reflection, here's the problem I have with this series: It is both poorly written and popular. If it were just poorly written but not popular, it would burn out on its own. If it were well written but unpopular, I would enjoy it while it lasted, but lament it when it was canceled. If it were well written and popular, I'd enjoy it and enjoy talking about it with other fans. But the fact that it is poorly written and popular frustrates me, because its popularity means it serves as a model for future shows, and is probably dooming us to a rash of Domealikes as other networks try to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle (witness the number of LOSTalikes we still get, Siberia being the most recent). I don't want other shows to use a poorly written one as a model, though. I want them to use a well-written one.
Well stated!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #63
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
.But the fact that it is poorly written and popular frustrates me, because its popularity means it serves as a model for future shows, and is probably dooming us to a rash of Domealikes as other networks try to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle .
Under the Pyramid
Alongside the Rhombus
On the Plain
Outside the Box
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #64
DaveMN
Registered User
 
DaveMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 66
Why not just relax and enjoy this show for what it is: comedic gold! I hear MST3K voices in my head when this is on. Make a drinking game out of it: Whenever they ask the dome what to do, take a drink. Someone gets shot and is immediately back on their feet: drink. The possibilities are endless.
DaveMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #65
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Upon reflection, here's the problem I have with this series: It is both poorly written and popular. If it were just poorly written but not popular, it would burn out on its own. If it were well written but unpopular, I would enjoy it while it lasted, but lament it when it was canceled. If it were well written and popular, I'd enjoy it and enjoy talking about it with other fans. But the fact that it is poorly written and popular frustrates me, because its popularity means it serves as a model for future shows, and is probably dooming us to a rash of Domealikes as other networks try to replicate the lightning-in-a-bottle (witness the number of LOSTalikes we still get, Siberia being the most recent). I don't want other shows to use a poorly written one as a model, though. I want them to use a well-written one.
Along those lines, there's a part of me that hopes CBS throws this on the January schedule, if only to expose it's weaknesses and it dies a quick death. Part of it's popularity is it was on during the summer when not much else is on. If it's put up against something popular during the normal TV season, I think it gets killed. Would any of us had put up with this if we had other things to watch?
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon
 
Hunter Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: People's Republic of Vermont
Posts: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Alongside the Rhombus
I'm setting up a season pass for this one right now.
__________________
former owner of a Series 2 Tivo, lifetime subscription, 233 hours, now sold
Hunter Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #67
danterner
Not it!
 
danterner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Greenacres, FL
Posts: 9,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Under the Pyramid
Alongside the Rhombus
On the Plain
Outside the Box
I've heard mixed reviews about "Around the Möbius Strip" - some interesting twists, but it seems to go on forever.
__________________
Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #68
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The dome is there to protect them, but they have to earn the light, wtf sense does that make?
It makes sense from a captor/captive standpoint.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #69
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I've heard mixed reviews about "Around the Möbius Strip" - some interesting twists, but it seems to go on forever.
I saw the preview, seemed very one-sided.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #70
nickels
opinionated dope
 
nickels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrington, PA
Posts: 4,657
The Dome went from opaque black to opaque white. Some sort symbolism for good beating evil I suppose. If the way the mini-dome came down is any clue to how the big dome comes down, they better head for cover when that eventually happens.

Also - pink stars weren't falling in lines, they were rising in lines.
__________________
D'oh!
nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #71
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

I've heard mixed reviews about "Around the Möbius Strip" - some interesting twists, but it seems to go on forever.
Awesome. Wish I thought of that one.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #72
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
The Dome went from opaque black to opaque white. Some sort symbolism for good beating evil I suppose. If the way the mini-dome came down is any clue to how the big dome comes down, they better head for cover when that eventually happens.

Also - pink stars weren't falling in lines, they were rising in lines.
Depends on your point of view.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
It makes sense from a captor/captive standpoint.
I understand that in the sociopathic Jr protecting Angie sense, but (to me) it doesn't make sense for the aliens to act in that kind of irrational manner for no apparent reason.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #74
kettledrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Now that the season is over, hopefully all of you can keep your promise and not come back for season 2. Despite what these threads would have you believe every week, not everybody hates this show. I got a late start on this show and didn't start watching until episode 6. By then, everyone had decided they weren't interested in this show, yet for some reason you all kept watching every week and flooding the forum with b*tching and whining about it. I've had no interest in being the sole person posting anything positive about the show, so I just stay silent.
I'm with you at least. Although I don't post much in general, I do enjoy reading the show threads on this board, although the constant bitchfest isn't much fun. I would have thought that the people who hated the show would quit and that would be the end of it. Guess not.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #75
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I understand that in the sociopathic Jr protecting Angie sense, but (to me) it doesn't make sense for the aliens to act in that kind of irrational manner for no apparent reason.
Except that will still don't know the motive behind it. Just because we are unaware of the reason doesn't mean it's not there.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #76
nyc13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I'm with you at least. Although I don't post much in general, I do enjoy reading the show threads on this board, although the constant bitchfest isn't much fun. I would have thought that the people who hated the show would quit and that would be the end of it. Guess not.
Well, they all claim to have been waiting until the end of the season, and now that that's over they've deleted their season passes. So next season these threads should be fine, right?
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #77
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I'm with you at least. Although I don't post much in general, I do enjoy reading the show threads on this board, although the constant bitchfest isn't much fun. I would have thought that the people who hated the show would quit and that would be the end of it. Guess not.
If it had simply been bad, many would have. The problem is, it turned out to be Sharknado levels of bad which pushed it into territory where mocking the show became its own reward.

Hindsight is wonderful and all, but the people who really liked the show should have started separate threads.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #78
mike_k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 2,301
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc13 View Post
Well, they all claim to have been waiting until the end of the season, and now that that's over they've deleted their season passes. So next season these threads should be fine, right?
Except that if the people that hate the show stop watching and stop posting, there won't be any threads.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #79
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,590
Well, I'm just happy to finally know where the dome came from. (Sort of). Unfortunately, I had to watch it on CBS.com. I couldn't believe how dark the scenes with alien mom were. Was it that bad on TV?

When Julia dumped the egg, I kept expecting to hear: "I can't swim!" Deputy Lupo, here's a dollar. Please buy a fraking clue!

So, the egg can erect an impenetrable dome, but can't protect itself? What are you, super-intelligent aliens . . . or mice?

If the dome is going to protect this bunch, (I don't know why it would), maybe it's from an asteroid collision. Or, a gigantic solar flare. (It could happen).

I'll be back next year. If only to see the resolution of the exciting cliffhanger. Will Junior will pull the lever on Barbie?
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #80
DouglasPHill
Registered User
 
DouglasPHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 994
I look forward to all the people who found problems with the show to return next year. It makes the threads for this show so much more interesting. I do have one request, if anyone will remember, please continue with the title "Under the dumb...." that was so good and accurate.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #81
KyleLC
Unregistered User
 
KyleLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 5,415
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I do have one request, if anyone will remember, please continue with the title "Under the dumb...." that was so good and accurate.
I disagree with that idea because it can make it difficult for people who don't know about the "dumb" to find the threads. Something like "Under the Dome (Dumb)" would be okay. Just as long as the real title of the series is intact in the thread title.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #82
smbaker
Registered User
 
smbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 15,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I understand that in the sociopathic Jr protecting Angie sense, but (to me) it doesn't make sense for the aliens to act in that kind of irrational manner for no apparent reason.
"The thing about aliens is, they're alien"
-- Gregory Benford

It does seem like the aliens are setting the humans up with some sort of test of worthiness. We don't undestand the how or why of that test (perhaps the writers don't either). I'm reminded of an episode of TOS where aliens tested a mute woman to see if her species was worthy of saving. Perhaps the same sort of thing is going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum
Although I don't post much in general, I do enjoy reading the show threads on this board, although the constant bitchfest isn't much fun.
I enjoy it so long as it's good natured, like an episode of MST:3K. The threads about the The Following were often this way. It was fun to mock to incredibly foolish actions of the characters. B-movies are fun. They have their purpose.

The threads do sometimes degenerate from good-spirited mocking to whining about deleting season passes, and that gets a bit tedious. I don't think any of us care who does or does not delete their season pass. Time will tell whether people watch the series next season or not.

It's clear the public enjoys the show based on the ratings. I make fun of people who watch the kardashians; I don't mind people making fun of those of us who watch UTD.
__________________
1 Roamio Plus
2 Lifetime Premieres, 2 HDs, 2 S2DTs
1 Original Philips S1 from all the way back in 1999!
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #83
Beryl
Registered User
 
Beryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I look forward to all the people who found problems with the show to return next year. It makes the threads for this show so much more interesting. I do have one request, if anyone will remember, please continue with the title "Under the dumb...." that was so good and accurate.
Maybe there should be one big seasonal "Under the Dumb" for those us who enjoy watching and mocking every week and episode threads with the correct name for those who don't.

The former viewers will subscribe and have no problem finding it.
__________________
HD XL
Premiere
Roamio Plus
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #84
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Orange Barrel State
Posts: 14,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Maybe there should be one big seasonal "Under the Dumb" for those us who enjoy watching and mocking every week and episode threads with the correct name for those who don't.

The former viewers will subscribe and have no problem finding it.
That would be awesome. I have no interest in watching the show but love the comments in the threads.
__________________
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures... Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #85
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post
I disagree with that idea because it can make it difficult for people who don't know about the "dumb" to find the threads. Something like "Under the Dome (Dumb)" would be okay. Just as long as the real title of the series is intact in the thread title.
I kinda like Under the Dome/b.

(Misspelling intentional)
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #86
DouglasPHill
Registered User
 
DouglasPHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 994
I vote for an entire season thread with spoilers entitled "Under the Dumb" and then people who want to post each episode can use the correct name.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #87
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
"The thing about aliens is, they're alien"
-- Gregory Benford

It does seem like the aliens are setting the humans up with some sort of test of worthiness.
Either protect or test. Doing both is, to some degree, contradictory.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #88
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Except that will still don't know the motive behind it.
That's why I said "no apparent reason"

Quote:
Just because we are unaware of the reason doesn't mean it's not there.
That's why I said "no apparent reason"
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #89
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That's why I said "no apparent reason"



That's why I said "no apparent reason"
Then you shouldn't expect it to make sense.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #90
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,558
Preposition the Noun
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |