TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #31
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
Seriously. I wanted to punch my television ... I invested 13 weeks in *THAT* :ANGER:
To be fair, you only invested 13 hours. It only seemed like 13 weeks.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #32
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Hank got out of the hole in the New Mexico desert for this?

Stoopid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #33
smbaker

I enjoyed the season. I don't care whether its unrealistic. I don't care if the characters do stupid things. It's a light, fun show. It reminds me of 'the following' in that respect. Just don't take it too seriously.

I bet most of you will be back next season.

Now I'm off to pursue 'sleepy hollow' as my new guilty pleasure.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #34
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
The thing is, this show apparently gets good ratings.
Currently getting a 7.3/10 on IMDB as well. The thing is a huge win for a summer show for the network.

However, Big Brother brings in big ratings, too, so ratings aren't necessarily a ringing endorsement.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #35
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
Currently getting a 7.3/10 on IMDB as well. The thing is a huge win for a summer show for the network.
This makes me totally re-thing IMDB ratings

Maybe it's like seeing Chick-Fil-A with 5 stars on Yelp!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #36
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Maybe it's like seeing Chick-Fil-A with 5 stars on Yelp!
Hey now! Chick-Fil-A is the shizz... even if you're gay.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #37
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
Seriously. I wanted to punch my television ... I invested 13 weeks in *THAT* :ANGER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
To be fair, you only invested 13 hours. It only seemed like 13 weeks.
This IS a TIVO forum. If you fast forwarded thought the commercials, you only spent about 9:45 on this. Still, it's almost ten hours that you will never get back!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #38
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence View Post
Because it wasn't Barbie that shot Julia.
That's not what Big Jim has been saying.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

At least they were consistent!!

You all know that I'm not one of those who go on and on about bad writing and inconsistencies as long as I'm entertained. And I was for this show for about 4-5 episodes. Then the "dumb" was so overwhelming that even I wasn't entertained. I stuck around to see what happens with the dome and the managed to make THAT totally stupid. I could care less about the vindictiveness of the characters and the ridiculous addition of the "boss" lady for a couple of episodes. If they had stuck to the story about the dome and the egg and how the town deals with that, it would have been better. And they should have just kept this a mini-series.

I'm out next summer. I'm sure I can find better things to do with the 9 and change hours I wasted on this.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #41
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
At least they were consistent!!

You all know that I'm not one of those who go on and on about bad writing and inconsistencies as long as I'm entertained. And I was for this show for about 4-5 episodes. Then the "dumb" was so overwhelming that even I wasn't entertained. I stuck around to see what happens with the dome and the managed to make THAT totally stupid. I could care less about the vindictiveness of the characters and the ridiculous addition of the "boss" lady for a couple of episodes. If they had stuck to the story about the dome and the egg and how the town deals with that, it would have been better. And they should have just kept this a mini-series.

I'm out next summer. I'm sure I can find better things to do with the 9 and change hours I wasted on this.
Yup. Pretty much sums it up right there.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #42
sharkster

Wow, I tried. I really did. I anguished through as much of this last episode as I was able. By about 12 minutes in I was outta there. SP deleted. Adios dome people.

The weekly threads were great, though!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
LordKronos

Now that the season is over, hopefully all of you can keep your promise and not come back for season 2. Despite what these threads would have you believe every week, not everybody hates this show. I got a late start on this show and didn't start watching until episode 6. By then, everyone had decided they weren't interested in this show, yet for some reason you all kept watching every week and flooding the forum with b*tching and whining about it. I've had no interest in being the sole person posting anything positive about the show, so I just stay silent.

What annoys me most is week after week, I see people complaining about things of the show, but some of the complaints are clearly inaccurate. It makes it obvious that the person didn't even bother to actually watch the show. Hell, sometimes their complaint is even preceded by a comment about how they couldn't be bothered to watch the show so they just skimmed it.

That's the type of stuff that makes me (and probably many others) have absolutely no interest in participating in these threads each week. Maybe you all will go away next season, but I'm not holding my breath. Most of you will probably be back again.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #44
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
That's the type of stuff that makes me (and probably many others) have absolutely no interest in participating in these threads each week. Maybe you all will go away next season, but I'm not holding my breath. Most of you will probably be back again.
There was never anything stopping you from creating your own thread for people who don't see the show as mock-worthy. Forum rules/mods probably would have supported you if you'd asked folks with nothing good to say to hold their tongue.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Now that the season is over, hopefully all of you can keep your promise and not come back for season 2. Despite what these threads would have you believe every week, not everybody hates this show. I got a late start on this show and didn't start watching until episode 6. By then, everyone had decided they weren't interested in this show, yet for some reason you all kept watching every week and flooding the forum with b*tching and whining about it. I've had no interest in being the sole person posting anything positive about the show, so I just stay silent.

What annoys me most is week after week, I see people complaining about things of the show, but some of the complaints are clearly inaccurate. It makes it obvious that the person didn't even bother to actually watch the show. Hell, sometimes their complaint is even preceded by a comment about how they couldn't be bothered to watch the show so they just skimmed it.

First of all, many of us came in here actually liking the show at the beginning (raises hand). Second lots of us watch JUST to participate in the thread. There's enough dreck in this show to actively discuss that it makes watching worth while just to come here and "compare notes" As has been said over and over again, reading this thread is more entertaining than the show. And thirdly, like a bad 1950s Sci Fi movie, it's just bad enough to be laughably funny in it's execution. Plus some of us were at least curious what happens with the dome (again, raises his hand).

I agree, ratings were good, so there must be a lot of people who liked the show. Either that, or perhaps they were watching for the same reasons I just outlined.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
There was never anything stopping you from creating your own thread for people who don't see the show as mock-worthy. Forum rules/mods probably would have supported you if you'd asked folks with nothing good to say to hold their tongue.
Actually, there's no reason why he can't just tell us what he likes about the show. and maybe he'll convince us why we are wrong? I've participated in many threads where I vehemently disagree with the majority.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #47
danterner
Not it!

Spoilerizing so that LordKronos doesn't have to read my comment about this episode:

Spoiler:
I was really hoping, when the dome went opaque, that we wouldn't be able to see the show anymore. Sadly, the show must go on.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #48
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
Dean Norris just left the best show on TV to work on this? He's gotta be pissed at his agent for sure.
Quote:
The thing is, this show apparently gets good ratings. More people watch "Under the Dome" than "Breaking Bad". And the show went from a potential one-season mini-series to being renewed for a second season. I'd say, from a business POV, his agent did pretty well. This is consistent with the majority of work Norris has gotten in the past. At this point in his career, BB was a peak which will be difficult to achieve again, but at least he is still a working actor, which is more than can be said of most actors.
Great interview with Dean Norris on this past week's Breaking Bad. SPOILERS if you haven't watched the latest BB episode.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...nailing-630830

While most of the interview is about BB, they ask him about his latest show, Under the Dome. In it, he says

Quote:
What's been the biggest adjustment to acting in a network series?

Actually, part of what they wanted to do is bring the cable experience to network. But there are definitely more cooks! One thing about AMC is that they let Vince basically run the show without any notes. And there are a few more people with a few things to say on this one. But it's crazy -- 20 to 30 million people are watching Under the Dome worldwide, and we are happy when 6 million people are watching Breaking Bad.
Also, he's married and has five kids. Hellyeah he needs work!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
astrohip
Stuart F

And an interview with the showrunner...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...vaughan-630158

Quote:
CBS closed the curtain on the freshman season of summer ratings hit Under the Dome on Monday with an hour that offered the biggest answer yet as to who is behind the mysterious dome that has encapsulated Chester's Mill.

During the season finale, the presumed aliens behind the dome (a reveal in line with Stephen King's book) inhabited the late Alice's body with a message: the trapped community isn't being punished but instead protected. But that would be the only clue viewers would receive about Dome's central mystery. Just what are they being protected from? In the words of the Alter Alice: "You'll see!"

The Hollywood Reporter turned to executive producer Brian K. Vaughan to respond to burning questions about the season, the creative direction of the series and his vision for season two.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #50
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
I think the show just laid an egg.
The new 21st century meme for "jumped the shark" is now "laid an egg"? Brilliant! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I would have been happy with the series if they had just had a few bikini scenes with red.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Hank got out of the hole in the New Mexico desert for this?

Stoopid.
LOL!

Quote:

I've been harassed in other threads for saying the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And an interview with the showrunner...

The reveal that the Domies are not being punished, but are actually being protected ... but from what?!! Stay tuned ... I'm gonna guess that they are being protected from skin cancer (UV rays)! But the aliens didn't think to protect the Domies from lead poisoning (as in lead bullets). D'Oh!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

The reveal that the Domies are not being punished, but are actually being protected ... but from what?!! Stay tuned ... I'm gonna guess that they are being protected from skin cancer (UV rays)! But the aliens didn't think to protect the Domies from lead poisoning (as in lead bullets). D'Oh!
I think they are being protected from the b*tching and whining of TCF forum members
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #52
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

Actually, there's no reason why he can't just tell us what he likes about the show. and maybe he'll convince us why we are wrong? I've participated in many threads where I vehemently disagree with the majority.
Me too.

I know, you are shocked.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #53
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
...an interview with the showrunner...
thanks for that link! the article was insightful, and actually has me looking forward to season two.

i've been watching each week and following the threads, but haven't commented much - i'm a sci-fi lover, few larger budget sci-fi tv series make it to air, and even fewer last.

even though i agreed with many of the comments, i've still been quietly cheering for the series to survive, hoping they'll learn from the first season, and it'll turn out to be better. we'll see.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #54
refried

After watching this entire season and feeling underwhelmed, will I enjoy the book if I start reading it? Does the book at least have closure?
refried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #55
Martha

I loved the book. My husband, who hasn't read it, asked me last night if "any of this happened in the book." I told him nothing since the first episode happened in the book.

ETA: We hated the show and cancelled the SP after the season finale.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #56
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refried View Post
After watching this entire season and feeling underwhelmed, will I enjoy the book if I start reading it? Does the book at least have closure?
I gave up on the show after three or four episodes. Liked the premise but hated the execution. Picked up the book and enjoyed it. Thought the ending sucked but I still enjoyed the book. It is a very, very easy read. Very short chapters and switching between characters often makes it easy to pick up and put down.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #57
getreal
postcrastinator

The people gathering at the church because they thought it was the Apocalypse, then sat in the pews with nobody to preach to them. Big Jim, fresh from a-killin' & a-lyin' (aka "a-sinnin'), who was not aware of this gathering, heads to the front and preaches to the attentive townsfolk (who had only recently rioted and looted each other) on comin' together for a-lynchin'! In Chester's Mill, apparently that's like a picnic.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #58
chrispitude

"We're not punishing you, we're protecting you, but if you drop that egg, we'll kill you all."
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #59
Beryl

SP deleted but if they keep providing it on Amazon Prime, I may tune in occasionally. I found it horrible and I like Scifi. It is not worth using up a TiVo tuner and space.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #60
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by refried View Post
The ending of the book was utter crap. Stephen King has a habit of doing that.

Other than that, it's a fine read. The series has diverged significantly from the book, so you'll get some new material. Don't expect to find major answers to things that were brought up in the series in the book. Read it if you enjoy human conflict as it's more about the interaction of the characters than understanding the nature of the dome.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote