TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
john4200

Dexter S08E11 "Monkey In a Box" 2013-Sep-15

I was enjoying this episode until the last 5 minutes. And then the writers go and ruin it AGAIN by dumbing Dexter down and making a totally contrived situation. Sure, I get it that Dexter did not feel the need to kill Saxon. But nevertheless, killing Saxon was the only smart thing Dexter could possibly do. Saxon knows way too much to risk what he might say if he is arrested, even if Dexter is out of the country. I was expecting Dexter to say, "I don't need to kill you, but of course I will anyway."

And then there is Deb, she has the gun pointed right at Saxon from 10 feet away, while Saxon has the gun at his side. And yet Saxon manages to move his arm up and take a shot at Deb before she manages to move her trigger finger? Sheeesh.

A smaller issue, but still a symptom of the bad execution this show has had this season -- when Dexter was getting all traces of himself out of Vogel's apartment, opening all the drawers, going through the files, etc. -- he was not wearing gloves. Arghhh!
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
gweempose

It's a shame to see such a brilliant show ending with such a lame season. The reality is that the show probably overstayed its welcome by several seasons, but this final season just seems kind of tacked on and forced.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
rahnbo

Just had to LOL at the file shredder... again and would still love to know why they insist on putting front side license plates on every car.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Idearat

I was Ok with Dexter not killing Saxon, that was to show he was moving beyond his compulsion to kill. What I wasn't Ok with was leaving him there and just telling Deb to take care of it. Was she going to tell her backup that she strapped him to the bed rather than just handcuffing him? Was she going to remove him from the bed and handcuff him solo in the time between calling for backup and help arriving? It seemed clear that a pissed off serial killer in a room with knives wouldn't be easy to deal with.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
smak
TV MA SLV

I hate the way this is ending. It seems so inconsequential to the rest of the series.

The whole ending seems based on whether Hannah will be caught or not.

It seemingly has nothing to do with Dexter being a serial killer.

I continue to believe the rightful ending of the show should have been Deb killing LaGuerta.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I continue to believe the rightful ending of the show should have been Deb killing LaGuerta.
You mean, just end it last season?

I would not have liked that at all. Dexter's character development needs some sort of closure. Or his death or imprisonment. I'd be okay with any of that (as long as it were done well), but there must be some sort of closure for him.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
waynomo
My One Time

I used to love commenting/discussing this show. Now it's just really disappointing. Thank god it is ending this Sunday.

I really have nothing to say about what happened during this episode.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
getbak

Quote:
I would have been satisfied with them ending it last season and having Deb choose to shoot Dexter.

Dexter should not get a happy ending.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The weird thing is that although it was monumentally stupid of Dexter to let Saxon live (because Saxon can raise all kinds of awkward questions about Dexter in an environment where a number of people have in the past had their own suspicions about him), the incredibly stupid way he and Deb went about it may have worked to their advantage...Saxon killed the Fed who was after Sarah and Dexter, and now will have all kinds of trigger-happy law enforcement after him.

I hope they're not heading towards a gift-wrapped happy ending. As getbak said, Dexter deserves, well, not to get away with his lifetime of crime. I don't entirely trust this show any more to get it right (cough), but I guess if I've stuck it out for eight years, I can go one more week before I cancel my SP.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
..Saxon killed the Fed who was after Sarah and Dexter...
Sarah and Chuck...Hannah and Dexter...
Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Hannah and Chuck?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Hannah and Chuck?
Oooh, love triangle!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
Just had to LOL at the file shredder... again and would still love to know why they insist on putting front side license plates on every car.
As a Miami resident, it's bad enough that I had to put up with CSI:Miami having mountains in the background of shots because they shot in LA. But Florida doesn't have front license plates, and I don't understand why they felt the need to have them in Dexter's Miami.

Miami Vice shot here, so did Burn Notice...and it made such a positive difference in the way the shows looked and felt. Even The Glades shoots all over the place down here. It's just my personal pet peeve. You can shoot Vancouver for any big city, but if you want Miami in your show you should shoot in Miami.

Back to the show. What a difference between how Dexter is coming to an end and what is happening with Breaking Bad. BB is a juggernaut of awesome that will end in an explosion through the front of my television. I will probably have to ponder the meaning of it and discuss with friends to fully understand what I have seen. Kind of like a support group for survivors of some tragedy.

When Dexter ends next week, it will be like my neighbor's dog dying. Sure I enjoyed playing with that dog every Sunday, but you could tell it was getting older and had lost a step somewhere. Sure I'm sad it's gone, but I'm sad more for how it used to be than what it was more recently.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
danterner
Not it!

While I hate "It was just a dream" endings, I almost feel like that is just about the only way this season can redeem itself. And the fact that the big looming storm is named "Hurricane Laura" had left me wondering. Laura (Moser) was Dexter's mom. Giving the storm her name is either very careless writing, or very deliberate writing. If it's deliberate, is the storm a real storm and the writers are just drawing a parallel to Dexter's stormy life at the moment? Or is it something deeper?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I was enjoying this episode until the last 5 minutes. And then the writers go and ruin it AGAIN by dumbing Dexter down and making a totally contrived situation. Sure, I get it that Dexter did not feel the need to kill Saxon. But nevertheless, killing Saxon was the only smart thing Dexter could possibly do. Saxon knows way too much to risk what he might say if he is arrested, even if Dexter is out of the country. I was expecting Dexter to say, "I don't need to kill you, but of course I will anyway."

And then there is Deb, she has the gun pointed right at Saxon from 10 feet away, while Saxon has the gun at his side. And yet Saxon manages to move his arm up and take a shot at Deb before she manages to move her trigger finger? Sheeesh.
this exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I was Ok with Dexter not killing Saxon, that was to show he was moving beyond his compulsion to kill. What I wasn't Ok with was leaving him there and just telling Deb to take care of it. Was she going to tell her backup that she strapped him to the bed rather than just handcuffing him? Was she going to remove him from the bed and handcuff him solo in the time between calling for backup and help arriving? It seemed clear that a pissed off serial killer in a room with knives wouldn't be easy to deal with.
and this.

so annoying. the Saxon plot should have been wrapped up in this ep, and have the finale about his escaping with Hannah for his new life. sigh.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
VegasVic
Craps Player

It was always known that no matter how they decide to end it (Dexter dead, Dexter in jail, Dexter gets away), there would be unhappy viewers. But the way this season has gone all viewers are unhappy. And we haven't even got to the actual ending yet. Of course I'll watch on Sunday. It's just sad to see this show go out on such a low note.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
It was always known that no matter how they decide to end it (Dexter dead, Dexter in jail, Dexter gets away), there would be unhappy viewers. But the way this season has gone all viewers are unhappy. And we haven't even got to the actual ending yet. Of course I'll watch on Sunday. It's just sad to see this show go out on such a low note.
I'm still waiting for a show that decides to end its run in a completely unrelated manner to its own storylines, like having a nuke explode in the city where it all was taking place. Or just have the main protagonists of the series die in some unrelated plane crash/accident of some sort.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I'm still waiting for a show that decides to end its run in a completely unrelated manner to its own storylines, like having a nuke explode in the city where it all was taking place. Or just have the main protagonists of the series die in some unrelated plane crash/accident of some sort.
Oh, oh! Or have it end like another show begun... with a toilet seat from a de-orbiting space station striking and killing Dexter.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post

Or have it end like another show begun... with a toilet seat from a de-orbiting space station striking and killing Dexter.
Thanks for reminding me about Dead Like Me. That's another show to add to the thread about great shows that went downhill fast.
(3) Minis

Old 09-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
yeah.. it's one thing to have a storyline go a way people don't like, it's another to make it just completely out of character and stupid.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Sledgehammer had the nuclear ending, right? And then unexpectedly got picked up again, and the writers had to scramble for an explanation.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
jr461

Quote:
I hate the way this is ending. It seems so inconsequential to the rest of the series.

The whole ending seems based on whether Hannah will be caught or not.
Wouldn't you think that while she's gallivanting around town (to the hospital, to the hotel in this episode) she would at least make some effort to disguise herself - put on a hat, sunglasses, dye your hair, cut your hair....do something!! Her face is plastered all over and she's just out in the open, as is.

It appears (haven't seen upcoming scenes so just my thoughts) that Dexter will not leave town. Deb is either going to the hospital or will die, but either way he's not going to just leave her (unless he doesn't know about this before he goes). Plus Saxon is running around again for all the moronic reasons already stated, so in some way he probably needs to be around to end that as well.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So many things about this season suck. It's as if everyone involved is just phoning it in to get one more season of paychecks. Hannah not disguising herself, Deb driving Hannah around even though they know Elway and the Marshall are on to them, Dexter getting Vogel's blood all over him and then searching her house without gloves, Dexter setting up a kill room that he then never used, Dexter and Deb leaving Saxon alone in the room while they went outside to say goodbye, Deb thinking she'd be able to get Saxon out of the straps without him putting up a fight, Saxon threatening Dexter's family and then Dexter just nonchalantly sending Harrison to sleep with Jamie, as if she's going to protect him, and on, and on, and on.

Seriously, I think if you took the writers from the first season and let them watch this final season, they'd be so disappointed in themselves.

So glad it's ending after one more episode. I don't care at all what happens to any of the characters. I just want to see how it ends at this point.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Sledgehammer had the nuclear ending, right? And then unexpectedly got picked up again, and the writers had to scramble for an explanation.
Miami Vice and Magnum PI both had magnificent series finalés that definitively ended the shows, and then each unexpectedly got picked up for another season. I think since then producers have thought very, very carefully about what might unexpectedly happen after the finalé.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post

Wouldn't you think that while she's gallivanting around town (to the hospital, to the hotel in this episode) she would at least make some effort to disguise herself - put on a hat, sunglasses, dye your hair, cut your hair....do something!! Her face is plastered all over and she's just out in the open, as is.
Yes. It's utterly ridiculous. If she was a brunette with short hair, nobody would even think twice. Instead, she goes all over the place looking exactly how she did when she was first arrested. It's just not realistic at all, and a testament to how bad the writing is this season.
(3) Minis

Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #26
smbaker

I laughed out loud when, right after the detective stopped by Deb's house and spooked everyone necessitating moving Hannah, that the first thing Deb and Hannah do is drive away with Hannah openly sitting in the passenger's seat of the car.

How did this show get so dumb so fast? It used to be so good.

The one saving grace was the boat selling scene (wtf? dexter has time to do that?) when the guy said 'I thought the beer cooler would be bigger' and Dex responded 'Maybe this isn't the boat for you'.

Unlike others, I didn't mind the ending of this episode that much. While I was shouting at Dexter "Just kill the guy!", I can see why he didn't. He's finally moved past his need to kill. He's happy to let Deb bring the man to justice. It's a turning point for him. We, the audience, know that the guy will get loose and cause havok for another episode, but Dexter the character does not. The part where I do have a problem is that if Saxon was ever brought in, he'd spill the beans about Dexter. Even without proof, that would ruin Deb's career and reputation.

The contrast between the wind down of Breaking Bad and Dexter is startling.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Dmtalon
I love Tivo...

Maybe the writers are smarter than we are giving them credit for. They're making it much easier for us to live with the ending of the series... That's a good thing right ?!?!
Dmtalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

I wonder if the writers saw how everyone else was just phoning it in and decided to see how much they could get away with. Maybe this whole season is a brilliant wink/nudge to the audience about how no one cares anymore during a series' final season, but only the writers know that.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
ElJay

I wish I could go back and tell myself to stop watching after season 4.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #30
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
I wish I could go back and tell myself to stop watching after season 4.
Yeah. And that's how I also feel about 24.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote