TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
hybucket

TiVO Networking...

Not sure this is the right forum but...
I'm going to be hooking up an ethernet connection to a friend's TiVO. She does not have a computer or a router and would have no use for either one. But she does have internet service via a Comcast modem. Can the ethernet wire be hooked up directly to an ethernet port in the modem without a router? I"m sure I'm asking a silly question, but I don't know much more than my friend does, but it seems there should be a way to hook it up without installing a router. She had been using dial-up for her connection, but since it was thru Comcast's phone service, it never worked properly and now she has no guide info.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There's no reason it shouldn't work, and it should be reasonably safe, since the few open ports that the TiVo exposes wouldn't be standard targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
She does not have a computer or a router and would have no use for either one.
I can't conceive of such a person, although I know some people may somehow not yet be aware of the use they'd get out of it.

Quote:
But she does have internet service via a Comcast modem.
Er... why, if she's not using it? Would her bill be higher without it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-27-2013 at 09:14 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
hybucket

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There's no reason it shouldn't work, and it should be reasonably safe, since the few open ports that the TiVo exposes wouldn't be standard targets.

I can't conceive of such a person, although I know some people may somehow not yet be aware of the use they'd get out of it.

Er... why, if she's not using it? Would her bill be higher without it?
A logical question. She's 90 years old and it's amazing she can even work the TiVO!!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Soapm

But what does she do with the internet?

She didn't get it just for the Tivo did she???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
But what does she do with the internet?

She didn't get it just for the Tivo did she???
She got the internet because of Comcast's ridiculous pricing that makes it cheaper to get a plan WITH internet than without. She's had it for years and never used it.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I should add that personally, despite this, I'd be more comfortable with a router there, just to act as a firewall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'll say that it should work.

A couple of years ago, I had a router go bad. At the time, I was limited on funds and it was going to be about a week or so before I could get a new one.

In the meantime, I figured I would try plugging my Tivos directly into the DSL modem so they could update the guide data.
To my surprise, it worked.
You just have to make sure your Tivos are configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
To my surprise, it worked.
Why surprise?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Why surprise?
Because at the time, I had not read of anyone trying such a thing on the forums and I was just guessing. As far as I knew, you *needed* a router if you had a Tivo. I didn't correlate a Tivo being equal to a computer in regards to networking.
Now I know that Tivos are basically just specialized computers and I shouldn't have been surprised that it worked.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote