TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Shows you loved First Run, but don't enjoy in syndication

I was thinking about this in the Frasier thread. There are SOME show that I watched first run and watch over and over again in syndication. Seinfeld, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Friends, The Big Bang Theory. These are all shows I enjoy the second time around. But some shows that I really liked during their first run, I just don't enjoy and have no real desire to watch in syndication. A few that come to mind are Frasier, How I Met Your Mother, All In The Family, 30 Rock. For some it's because the shows are dated and they aren't as funny in context today (like All In The Family). Others, the jokes got kinda stale the second time around.

What are some of yours? (I only mentioned sitcoms because I don't usually watch reruns of dramas, but feel free to include dramas or whatever).
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I agree with HIMYM. First few seasons were especially good, but I never watch the repeats.
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.

I almost never rewatch shows. I think the last one was Buffy, a number of years ago.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Everything except The Cosby Show!
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
BradJW

I rewatch a lot of shows. I'm currently rewatching Married with Children. Almost done with Season 5.

I totally disagree about All in The Family. I still love that show. Sure it's a tad dated, but I think it holds up very well. I probably last rewatched that show sometime in the last 3 or 4 years. I've got lots of other stuff to watch so I won't get to it again anytime soon unfortunately.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
BradJW

Modern Family is the rare show that for me, gets two viewings during it's first run week.
I watch it the night it airs, read these forums and see what I missed and watch it again shortly thereafter.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
MikeMar
Go Pats

most comedies I'll watch multiple times, but dramas almost never

Exception is The Wire

But never seen more than 1 each time of things like Dexter, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, True Blood, and so on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
Modern Family is the rare show that for me, gets two viewings during it's first run week.
I watch it the night it airs, read these forums and see what I missed and watch it again shortly thereafter.
I'm on the fence about rewatching MF. I know I love it first run and sometimes rewatch, but not sure if I want to flip on USA or a local channel and watch in Syndication. Sometimes I flip on those rewatches when I'm doing other things and MF you have to really pay attention to.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post

Exception is The Wire

But never seen more than 1 each time of things like Dexter, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, True Blood, and so on
Lost is one drama I've attempted to rewatch a few times. And I enjoy it when I do, but it's usually time that does me in. It's easier to rewatch a 30 minute sitcom (well 22 minutes without ads). I've watch the odd Sopranos episode and maybe I'll leave on GoT if I flip through and there's nothing on.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I loved M*A*S*H the first time around. But on watching the reruns it sometimes got a bit heavy-handed in its anti-war message. How did I not see that the first time around?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I loved M*A*S*H the first time around. But on watching the reruns it sometimes got a bit heavy-handed in its anti-war message. How did I not see that the first time around?
This was definitely the case in the later episodes. The first 3 years had the message but it was more subtle and a whole lot funnier.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I can't re-watch M*A*S*H for the simple reason that, first time, it was shown in the UK without a laugh track. It really doesn't work for me with the canned laughter included!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I can't re-watch M*A*S*H for the simple reason that, first time, it was shown in the UK without a laugh track. It really doesn't work for me with the canned laughter included!
I always watched with a laugh track in the US, except for a few episodes they did without one. On the DVDs they offer it with or without laugh track.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Everything except The Cosby Show!
I can't believe I used to make a point to watch Cosby every single Thursday night. I will occasionally run across an episode playing today and will cringe. I think it would be a worse punishment than waterboarding if I had to sit through an entire episode today.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
gweempose

I have such a backlog of shows, that I rarely get around to watching anything twice. Friends is one of the exceptions. I've probably seen every episode at least 3-4 times. As my kids get older, I find myself going back and showing them stuff. For example, I recently started watching Full House with them.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
VegasVic
Craps Player

I still love the Henry/Trapper MASH's but that's it. I can't believe I used to love Cheers.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
DougF

I loved Scrubs, but have never been able to get into rewatching.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
sieglinde

Man from UNCLE. Some station showed this many years after its first broadcast and I used to love it . Ugh!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
jr461

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
This. If a comedy struck me as really funny the first time, odds are I can watch over and over and still find them funny. While I find All in the Family still funny, it is dated. Same with the Odd Couple. And not because of their age - I think Seinfeld, Big Bang and The Honeymooners all hold up well and come from distinctly different eras.

Dramas or other non-comedies (shows with continuing stories) don't work for me having already seen what happens. Same reason I don't watch upcoming scenes for these shows.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post

Dramas or other non-comedies (shows with continuing stories) don't work for me having already seen what happens.
A lot of time has to go by before I will revisit a drama. For example, I haven't watched Twin Peaks in at least 10 years, and I'm sure I would enjoy it if I watched it again now. The one drama that I can think of that's somewhat of an exception is ER. I love that show, and will occasionally watch re-runs if I happen to come across them.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
zalusky

Too much new stuff to watch old stuff. Can't even watch a lot of new stuff.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
Doh

Friends strikes me as very forced and unfunny these days.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

There aren't many shows I can rewatch and enjoy. Off the top of my head, some shows I've rewatched are Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasier, WKRP, Andy Griffith (I didn't see it when it originally aired but have watched it over and over), Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I thought I would rewatch Lost at some point, but I haven't wanted to. Like someone said, there are too many new shows to watch. The old sitcoms work to rewatch because they are quick and funny.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #25
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I rewatch a lot of shows. I'm currently rewatching Married with Children. Almost done with Season 5.

I totally disagree about All in The Family. I still love that show. Sure it's a tad dated, but I think it holds up very well. I probably last rewatched that show sometime in the last 3 or 4 years. I've got lots of other stuff to watch so I won't get to it again anytime soon unfortunately.
I'm rewatching All in the Family now. I think it holds up very well. Most of the social issues they cover are still very much issues today.

I can rewatch most comedies. I have trouble rewatching dramas. I just can't do it.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #26
Jolt
Disgruntled Member

Fall Guy. I loved that show when I was a kid and know every word to that song. What a cheesy show! lol
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
mattack

Almost never watch syndicated shows due to them not being the *entire* show (cut for time and/or music changed). Once in a while, I will catch a single or few episodes to (mostly) complete my watching of a series.

I did actually set up a SP for the reruns of S2 of Scandal since I missed a bunch of those.. Still haven't actually watched them yet for the same reason above. I kind of hope BET actually ran them uncut.. but I doubt it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
Jolt
Disgruntled Member

One show i would love to watch again is The Voyagers
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Almost never watch syndicated shows due to them not being the *entire* show (cut for time and/or music changed). Once in a while, I will catch a single or few episodes to (mostly) complete my watching of a series.

I did actually set up a SP for the reruns of S2 of Scandal since I missed a bunch of those.. Still haven't actually watched them yet for the same reason above. I kind of hope BET actually ran them uncut.. but I doubt it.
Funny about them being cut. I have watched MASH reruns over and over, almost to the point where I know the dialog by heart on certain episodes. Then I bought the first season DVD. Wow, there were scenes in episodes I've seen 100 times that I just didn't remember. It was great!! I noticed that a few networks show uncut versions in syndication. That was a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I noticed that a few networks show uncut versions in syndication.
Examples? One RARE example I can think of is that when SciFi (I think before it went SyFy) used to do Twilight Zone marathons on e.g. New Year's Day and sometimes other holidays perhaps, it would put them in ~36 minute time slots. I *PRESUME* that meant they were uncut, but I never checked.

Long ago, SciFi did rerun ST:TOS uncut (and I videotaped most of them), but the added problem there was that they added new commercial breaks in in the middle of a scene!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote