TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
kherr

Premiere "Breaking Bad"

So I have 1.5TB free on my Premiere in the bedroom and decided to record the whole Breaking Bad series (61 episodes). I was watching Netflix when it dawned on me that the record light wasn't on. I checked the SP and everything set (All new/rerun, no limit, keep till deleted). So I checked the schedule and the next 3 weren't checked,. I checked them to record and went back and found 3 hadn't recorded.

Thank You TIVO !!! ..... not .....
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
poppagene
User

Tivos don't record netflix -- they stream netflix.

(in order to record netflix on the tivo, you would have to have playon installed and running on your home computer and have pytivo installed on your home computer with the playon plugin for pytivo installed.)
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

What is the reason they show for not being recorded?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
kherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Tivos don't record netflix -- they stream netflix.

(in order to record netflix on the tivo, you would have to have playon installed and running on your home computer and have pytivo installed on your home computer with the playon plugin for pytivo installed.)
I was "watching" Netflix, not attempting to recording it. The point of the post was that the Tivo failed to record a block of episodes.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
kherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What is the reason they show for not being recorded?
You got me. But now, even if I find a way to record those individual episodes, I'll never be able to put them in order. I've never had a SP not record.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherr View Post
You got me. But now, even if I find a way to record those individual episodes, I'll never be able to put them in order. I've never had a SP not record.
You can't record them from netflix.

You could buy the episodes from Amazon and record them.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
kherr

Quote:

Netflix has nothing to do with this. I was recording the shows from AMC, where they are showing all episodes in order ending with the series final show. There is also no way to insert them into the play list so they would be in order. There's nothing like paging through 61 episodes in order to find the next one. I'm also not going to buy any one from Amazon because you can only watch it on the Tivo that you downloaded it on. Netflix and Amazon don't factor in. I know how the Tivo and various streaming sites work.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
spaldingclan

why don't you just watch them on Netflix? All the seasons up to this season are on there.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

The OP was doing something and while doing that, realized the tivo wasn't recording.
Just to help you understand this, replace 'I was watching netflix' in the OP with 'I was clipping my toenails"

Quote:
I was clipping my toenails when it dawned on me that the record light wasn't on. I checked the SP and everything set (All new/rerun, no limit, keep till deleted). So I checked the schedule and the next 3 weren't checked,. I checked them to record and went back and found 3 hadn't recorded.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
why don't you just watch them on Netflix? All the seasons up to this season are on there.
I'm not trying to answer for the OP, but there are many reasons. I found many years ago that once I got used to the Tivo interface, other media players just seemed clunky and less user friendly. You can also move them off of the tivo and archive them any way you want for future use. Plus they are not guaranteed to be on netflix forever. I've had two tv series disappear from netflix before I was able to finish watching them.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The OP was doing something and while doing that, realized the tivo wasn't recording.
Just to help you understand this, replace 'I was watching netflix' in the OP with 'I was clipping my toenails"
Sorry, as I don't have cable Breaking Bad for me is a Netflix or Amazon event and the original post mentioned watching Netflix and not recording.

kherr -- the tivo behvior you are experiencing is likely related to having too many keep until I delete (KUID) episodes coming up on your season passes. If tivo doesn't have enough space ( or thinks it doesn't have enough space) to record the upcoming KUID episodes, it expires and deletes episodes in a way that may not be recoverable. Try changing all of your season passes to not be KUID and reboot tivo.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
You need to go look at the To Do list/recording history and see the reason given that the episodes didn't record.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
overFEDEXed

Yes you can

Quote:

Roundabout way (Backup plan) to get the missing shows, until you figure it out.

Buy Playlater and you CAN record them from Netflix, along with a bunch of other stuff, and it's legal.

I think that I paid $20 for one year of Playlater. Check it out. It's great.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 09-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Buy Playlater and you CAN record them from Netflix, along with a bunch of other stuff, and it's legal.

I think that I paid $20 for one year of Playlater. Check it out. It's great.
We're talking about a Tivo here
Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
kherr

Netflix and a Premiere is not exactly a good combination. You can get lucky and have Netflix respond to the remote and everything is good. Or it will not respond (most of the time) and every time a video ends you have to go back to Tivos menus and reload Netflix from the beginning. If the Premieres responded like my Minis, things would be different. I don't foresee the app changing any. I really can't see why Amazon Prime can't be ported to the Premieres, it already has account verification for downloads, why can't they just add streaming ???

The hard drive was 27% full on a 2TB drive, way more than enough room for 61 hours. I looked through the listings and found what ended up 6 shows that were deselected to be recorded. 3 that it skipped over and 3 that were coming up. I reselected them manually. BB was the only SP that is on the machine, so why it didn't record, I don't know and probably won't know. It's water under the bridge anyway. There was nothing else on the To Do list. I can't see where it choked on too many upcoming recordings when people with a 6 tuner Romios keep them busy night and day. At least they claim to.

As far as watching them all on Netflix, besides the reasons above Charter here has bandwidth caps. Some areas are enforced and others aren't. I don't want to find out the hard way.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherr View Post
so why it didn't record, I don't know and probably won't know.
Checking the recording history could change that, but that has already been mentioned twice and you seem as uninterested in finding out what went wrong as [not naming any names] was in comprehending your OP which makes me wonder why you even posted the issue in the Tivo help Center in the first place.

Last edited by scandia101 : 09-28-2013 at 06:17 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
overFEDEXed

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
We're talking about a Tivo here
Yes, my idea was about him getting the missing shows, onto his Tivo, to watch. Not the Tivo recording it. Sorry.

When my wife was watching some shows on Netflix, with a Premiere two-tuner, it was soooooooooo slow. I started recording them from Netflix, using Playlater, then pushing them to a folder on the Tivo. I would "Record" a bunch a one time, then she wouldn't have to use the clunky, slow, Premiere, Netflix interface.

Also, on the shows that you didn't get to watch before Netflix removed them. When I saw that SpongeBob was going to be removed from Netflix, I "Recorded" a bunch of them, from Netflix, commercial-free, for later use.

It still doesn't fix his problem, but at least it's a good backup plan, just in case.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote