TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
sfhub

Does anyone remember how long it takes for GC and Indexing to complete?

I have an S3 OLED which I was just able to recover from a GSOD loop situation.

My shows were all there and it connected and fully downloaded the guide data.

However it doesn't show any shows as recording in the todo list and when I view upcoming episodes, nothing shows up.

I think this is due to tivo still running GC and Indexing on the large 2 week set of data it downloaded, but I am not sure. Possibly something I did to resolve the GSOD loop messed things up.

I always thought it did the GC/Indexing as the last step of the connect to the mothership (ie "Loading"), but the System Information page says

Guide View Cache:
Cache To: Thursday December 31 4:00 pm
Wednesday September 11 12:05 pm

My other S3 OLED says "Idle, since..."

It is a little disconcerting right now because nothing shows up as recording in the todo list and nothing shows up under view upcoming episodes, even though there is guide data for 13 days. While I think this is all because the GC/Indexing isn't done yet, I'm not sure if that is just a red-herring and I messed something else up. Also even if just takes a while, I'm not sure if it'll get done before 8pm primetime hits and it needs to record stuff.

I've read about other units having trouble with indexing guide data forcing their owners to manually force the indexing. Hopefully that isn't the situation here.

Last edited by sfhub : 09-12-2013 at 12:28 PM.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
sfhub

This went on for 12hours before I gave up.

I ended up rebooting to terminate the indexing process and clear up memory/swap

then reselecting my video provider by doing

settings->channels->channel list
press enter to reselect channel/service provider

This appears to blow away your old provider and install the newly selected one (which can be the same provider)

It took around 2-2.5 hours to finish. Around 45 minutes of that it was sitting at Preparing for download and the disk was seeking alot, so I'm guessing it was removing the old guide stuctures.

Anyway, when it was done, all the data was indexed and ready to use, but my ToDo list still showed nothing to record (but now View upcoming episodes did list shows)

I then went and reordered 1 season pass and exited. After about 60 seconds of hourglass waiting, it completed and my ToDo list was fully populated.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Teeps

Does anyone remember how long it takes for GC and Indexing to complete?

It varies a lot but can take many hours.

In my TiVo's (648250) case if the tuning adapter is turned on GC never completes.
Then after a couple of weeks the running out of guide data message appears.
That's a whole 'nuther problem.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
In my TiVo's (648250) case if the tuning adapter is turned on GC never completes.
Then after a couple of weeks the running out of guide data message appears.
That's a whole 'nuther problem.
Even though I got indexing/GC to complete, I was still a little worried that it only did so because I manually forced everything with the channel/video provider reselection. Around 2-3am I had the indexing and guide caching done and everything was working correctly, but it still had this status:

Code:
Guide View Cache:
  Cache to: Thursday December 31 4:00 pm
            Wednesday September 11 11:45 pm
My concern was that since it never ran index/GC on its own, one week down the road, it would run/hang/fail and I'd be left with the running out of guide data situation.

Fortunately I just checked and it did complete one index/GC on its own, and it has converted the status to Idle, since...

Code:
Guide View Cache:
  Cache to: Thursday September 19 6:00 am
            Thursday September 12 10:08 am
I think everything from my user-initiated Kickstart 57 GSOD reboot loop is fixed now.

I'm a little surprised, as I was prepared to lose all my recordings and season passes, but in the end everything was recovered.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Soapm

Sounds like you should move the shows you want from the Tivo while its on its second wind. You can back up your passes also.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Sounds like you should move the shows you want from the Tivo while its on its second wind. You can back up your passes also.
Sorry, it wasn't clear, all this is on a new 1TB drive.

I had a user-initiated kickstart 57 GSOD loop on my old drive which I recovered from by dd_rescue of the 750GB drive to the 1TB drive. Then placed the 1TB drive back in tivo so it could finish KS 57.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Sorry, it wasn't clear, all this is on a new 1TB drive.

I had a user-initiated kickstart 57 GSOD loop on my old drive which I recovered from by dd_rescue of the 750GB drive to the 1TB drive. Then placed the 1TB drive back in tivo so it could finish KS 57.
You still ought to back up the non-copy protected shows to a PC, just in case.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
sfhub

So 2 backup copies? I still have the 750GB drive that is basically a backup in case something goes wrong with the 1TB drive.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
So 2 backup copies? I still have the 750GB drive that is basically a backup in case something goes wrong with the 1TB drive.
A backup of the shows onto computer.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
sfhub

My thinking is in the remote possibility the new 1TB drive dies, I'll just recover the shows from the 750GB drive again. I mean I could make the backup to PC, but the return on investment of time doesn't seem to be there because the probability of the 1TB drive dying so soon isn't very high. I don't know what the TiVo transfer rate is, but it took 9hrs to copy using direct SATA so I can only imagine it'll take even more time to copy the shows to PC over 100mbps ethernet.

I'd probably be more open to dd'ing my current 1TB drive onto another than to copy shows over to the PC in terms of time resource allocation.

Am I missing something obvious?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
My thinking is in the remote possibility the new 1TB drive dies, I'll just recover the shows from the 750GB drive again. I mean I could make the backup to PC, but the return on investment of time doesn't seem to be there because the probability of the 1TB drive dying so soon isn't very high. I don't know what the TiVo transfer rate is, but it took 9hrs to copy using direct SATA so I can only imagine it'll take even more time to copy the shows to PC over 100mbps ethernet.

I'd probably be more open to dd'ing my current 1TB drive onto another than to copy shows over to the PC in terms of time resource allocation.

Am I missing something obvious?
Once they're on the PC you can watch them on another TiVo on your same account even if the one on which they were originally recorded is dead beyond repair.