TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux

Transfer Monthly Service to a new owner's account (selling TiVoHD)

Hey all, i've seen some posts about transferring service on the same account to a new roamio, but my question is different.

I have replaced the 2 TiVoHD setup in my house with a new Roamio and Mini. For one of the boxes, i paid the standard $12.99. But for the second, i was grandfathered into the cheaper MSD rate of $6.95 a month.

I called to cancel service on my TiVoHDs (yes, yes, i know i should have gotten lifetime. I've learned my lesson), and the CSR said that I can actually transfer that $6.95 rate to the account ot whoever i give or sell my TiVoHD box to. Even if it ends up being the only TiVo that person owns.

Is that accurate? Has anyone else run into this?

It seems weird that I could sell a box i am getting MSD on to someone where it would be their only TiVo, and they would get the MSD discount.

If it is accurate, that could be a small bonus to someone buying on ebay (not lifetime, but better that $14.99 a month). TiVo gave me 2 free months of service on that box as I attempt to sell it.

Thanks in advance!
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Scooby Doo

Tivo HDs with lifetime are selling on eBay at the moment for about $250. Those without for about $50. I have heard Tivo sometimes offers customers in your position a lifetime upgrade for $100, which is probably a good deal if you can get it.
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux

Thanks, I'll call them back and see if i can get that deal!

If not, still interested to see if anyone else has encountered the situation described above.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Big Boy Laroux

As an update, I was able to get lifetime services added to both devices for $99 each. Man, I should have called to threaten to cancel years ago.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
As an update, I was able to get lifetime services added to both devices for $99 each. Man, I should have called to threaten to cancel years ago.
You may not have gotten the rep you got today. It's really hit and miss with who you get.

I have a premier on $12/mo. I wonder if I can get the $6 deal?? I will give it a try. Hope I get the person you got.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Yes, it is somewhat hit or miss with the service rep. But the situation you're in now (having bought the new TiVo) is much more likely to get a good offer than just threatening to cancel. They know that without incentives like this, a lot of the old TiVoHDs will just be thrown away. This way, TiVo gets $99 and a new sub, and the customer will be the one looking for a new home for the TiVoHD. A great way to get the customer to do the spreading of the TiVO religion!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Has anyone been able to get the $99 lifetime on a Premiere now that the Roamios are out? I am retiring my OTA premiere and I'd rather put $99 lifetime on it than transfer the $9.99 as was suggested to me by the TiVo cancelation rep.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
dolcevita

Quote:
Did you buy lifetime on your new Roamio?
dolcevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita View Post
Did you buy lifetime on your new Roamio?
yes, i had already purchased lifetime on the new roamio when i bought it a few weeks ago.