TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
markp99
TakoKichi

Wink Roamio Remote - Perfectly Symmetrical!

While I'm enjoying the compact form factor and response of the new Roamio remote, I must admit I've managed to pick it up wrong-end forward about 50% of the time!

The thing is nearly perfectly symmetrical - in shape, weight, balance and texture. Argh!

My old Glow Remote at least had a ribbed texture on the bottom and a flat/dimple near the top. When I grab that remote, I can clearly orient the thing by touch with no difficulty. Also, the IR window on the front tip of the Glow has a distinctive "edge" to it that also helps orient by touch.

There is a ribbed texture on the new Roamio remote, but it's right in the center and the flats/dimples are symmetrically positioned at each end. There is no visible IR window.

My only non-visual index is the small fingernail gap in the battery door at the bottom of the remote. Falls right at the tip of my pinky finger as I hold the thing. Maybe I'll get better at it with time.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

I often have the same issue, I'm trying to get into the habit of putting it down oriented the same way every time.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Goober96

Always feel for the TiVo button. Sure-fire way to know where the top is.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
P42

Stick something on one end of the bottom, then you'll quickly know which end is which, that is what worked for me with a car remote many years back.

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Stick something on one end of the bottom, then you'll quickly know which end is which, that is what worked for me with a car remote many years back.
There already is something on the bottom. The battery compartment cover. The bottom of the Roamio remote is different because you can feel the opening of the battery compartment cover which is the bottom end of the remote. And on the top the TiVo button is located on the top end of the remote. With both of those you will always know which is the top or bottom of the remote by feel, whether the bottom is facing up, or the top is facing up.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

Yep. Already using the battery door gap as an index. Not quite as immediate as the

Of course I could use the top-side TiVo button, but my default mode from my Glow remote has been by feel, cradling from the bottom.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
russg
UID=0

I had to start feeling for the battery door too. I back that up with the Tivo button but I'm getting used to it. The button layout is taking longer to get used to for me.
russg is offline   Reply With Quote