TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
mdm08033

Google TV and Roamio

Greetings from Philadelphia.

I cut the cord about two years ago. I started with a Sony Blu-ray player for streaming apps. Next came the Premiere and a roof top antenna. Next I improved the streaming experience with a Roku 2XS. Last week I upgraded to a Roamio.

All of my sources are routed through a Pioneer HDMI 5.1 receiver, so the wife and kids must switch between inputs for the Roku and TiVo.

I am looking at replacing the Roku with a Google TV to simplify the streaming. Has anyone played with running their TiVo through a Google TV?

Cheers, Michael

Last edited by mdm08033 : 10-31-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typo
mdm08033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
atmuscarella

I did what you are talking about with a the Logitech's Revue (which is a google TV device) but that device wasn't very useful. I haven't used any of the newer ones from other companies but my Roku is a significant step up from the Revue. Frankly I would save your money and stick with what you have or upgrade to a Roku 3.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
John McKee
Free

I use one but now that the Roamio has a DAIL YouTube and Netflix I only use it for Airplay and occasionally streaming flash video. It works fine but it probably isn't worth the money if you have a Roamio, the Roku which I also have is a better streaming device in general.
John McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
mdm08033

I could put the Roku out to pasture if Roamio would stream HBO Go, Amazon Prime and PBS.
mdm08033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I could put the Roku out to pasture if Roamio would stream HBO Go, Amazon Prime and PBS.
Best we can say is Maybe. Once the Opera App store is deployed we will see what kind of content is available.

I am coutiously optimistic, simply because the platform scale for content is now much larger then just the TiVo platform.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm08033 View Post
Greetings from Philadelphia.

I cut the cord about two years ago. I started with a Sony Blu-ray player for streaming apps. Next came the Premiere and a roof top antenna. Next I improved the streaming experience with a Roku 2XS. Last week I upgraded to a Roamio.

All of my sources are routed through a Pioneer HDMI 5.1 receiver, so the wife and kids must switch between inputs for the Roku and TiVo.

I am looking at replacing the Roku with a Google TV to simplify the streaming. Has anyone played with running their TiVo through a Google TV?

Cheers, Michael
I have my TiVo running through a Sony GS7 GoogleTV box and it works fine....for what it is. The only thing it seems I ever use it for is its Slingbox app. I also have a ps3 and the TiVo there so those are used for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu etc. I only paid $99 for it but I still question it's value. I still wonder if I should've just bought another wdtv live for the sling app for consistency. The remote is awesome though. I hear it can be used with your PC, so that's a plus!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
wickerbill

My logitech revue was one of the worst gadgets I've purchased in years. Roku is miles better for streaming. I would recommend not wasting your money on a google tv. Google hasn't done much for the platform in the two years it has been out and I wouldn't be surprised if they totally cancelled it and focused more on the chromecast.
wickerbill is online now   Reply With Quote