Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah but unlike that situation we're talking about pretty static file sizes. In fact, if anything, video files are going to get smaller in the future as we transition to H.264. So that 8GB of storage is going to always hold 1200+ hours of HD video, and could get up to 1700+ with H.264. That's enough to hold the entire season of 50+ TV shows. At a certain point you're accumulating stuff you'll never even have time to watch.
I'm already at 65% of storage used on my Pro. A 4TB drive would be nice, but not at a $150 premium for the extra 1TB. Plus the My Shows list is now so long. I really hope TiVo implements profiles or something to help me control the list. Because just to find something from a week ago now takes more time than ever. I couldn't imagine filling up 8TB of storage with the current way the space is managed.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #32
mattack

Quote:
So maybe it's not a trick.

Why would anyone need that much space?
I record *virtually* everything in SD for disk space reasons. With that much space (or actually 4TB), I might actually record most of the main primetime in HD.

Though I admit nowadays I'm mostly just offloading things instead (though I did manage to kill a drive with tons of recordings.. at least most of it that I remember was musical shows and stuff I didn't care about *too* much). In the past, I have kept things seasons old, and gone back and caught up (I did catch up on a bunch of stuff from that drive I then killed -- I was carelessly using it as a bare drive connected to an adapter, and jostled it or something.. tried to recover, lots of I/O errors).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I couldn't imagine filling up 8TB of storage with the current way the space is managed.
I remember back before they added groups. Even with a 30 hour unit that list got crazy.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
innocentfreak

Quote:
Yeah but unlike that situation we're talking about pretty static file sizes. In fact, if anything, video files are going to get smaller in the future as we transition to H.264. So that 8GB of storage is going to always hold 1200+ hours of HD video, and could get up to 1700+ with H.264. That's enough to hold the entire season of 50+ TV shows. At a certain point you're accumulating stuff you'll never even have time to watch.
True, but there is also the benefit of building your own VOD library. With enough space you can record whatever looks remotely interesting and worry later if you watch it or not.

I do this with more and more shows now. I tend to park them until I feel like watching them or giving them a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #35
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
True, but there is also the benefit of building your own VOD library. With enough space you can record whatever looks remotely interesting and worry later if you watch it or not.

I do this with more and more shows now. I tend to park them until I feel like watching them or giving them a try.
This. Especially for shows that look marginal or seem destined for cancellation, record it, just in case. Then if it survives, no harm done, and it can be watched from the beginning. Networks are so quick to cancel shows nowadays.

Also, with 6 tuners, the 4+TB units could be useful for larger families and unconventional households. How they sort through that list or resolve tuner conflict is another matter entirely.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote