TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
tjtv

Change from Comcast to FIOS - need to do anything special?

Hi,

I currently have two tivo premieres hooked up to comcast cable. Tomorrow Verizon is coming to install FIOS, and I have requested for them to bring two cable cards. Is there anything I need to do with the tivo premieres ahead of time to prepare for this? Should I rerun guided setup and select FIOS as my provider? Should I do this before the FIOS technician arrives, or after?
tjtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

For the sake of saving some time, it'd be a good idea to rerun the guided setup sometime before they arrive, yes. Select the "install cablecard later" option once you get to that step. Other than that, there isn't too much else you need to do.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Begin to plan the party to celebrate a better HD picture, better service overall, faster Internet speeds with FiOS, and just an overall better customer experience.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
Begin to plan the party to celebrate a better HD picture, better service overall, faster Internet speeds with FiOS, and just an overall better customer experience.
except if there is an issue with your bill.. then let the nightmare begin
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

And hope you don't need to get the RedZone channel activated. Another nightmare.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
MrDell

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
except if there is an issue with your bill.. then let the nightmare begin
I have to agree with that!! Fios is a great product, but keep a close eye on your bill the first two or three statements! Verizon has a crazy way they bill people.
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
VAPhishen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And hope you don't need to get the RedZone channel activated. Another nightmare.
I need to activate the RedZone - what did you have to do call Fios?
VAPhishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAPhishen View Post
I need to activate the RedZone - what did you have to do call Fios?
I spent several hours dealing with it this week and it's still not resolved. This is an issue with the Ultimate HD tier(which includes it) and people without a FiOS STB. You need to subscribe to it but they have no way to add it to the account. If you have a FiOS DVR you can click subscribe and it will authorize your account to view it.
But currently without a fiOS STB they are having difficulty. They are working on a solution that would authorize it for all people with Ultimate HD without a FiOS STB. or a way to for a CSR to easily add it to the account. I have the info that they need to add it but, even when dealing with supervisors I had no luck.

The fix is to get the sales IHD group to add package J1563 - NFL RedZone for Ultimate HD. But it might not work. So they are working on the other solution I mentioned. I will give it one more shot tonight.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
VAPhishen

Quote:
This is an issue with the Ultimate HD tier(which includes it) and people without a FiOS STB.
Thanks. That's my situation also, hopefully Iíll be able to call tonight.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
jay_man2
jay_man-also

I live close enough to a Verizon Experience store that I just had them put in an order for a free DVR for 90 days. I picked it up, brought it home, hooked it up, clicked "OK" twice after tuning to channels 335 and 835, and about an hour later and a couple of refresh hits to my Cablecards the RedZone channel was reactivated.

I then disconnected the DVR and returned it the next day.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Thanks. That's my situation also, hopefully Iíll be able to call tonight.
I'm on the phone now but still no luck. I'm trying to get a free STB out of it since at one point they came back with an answer that I need a FiOS STB to watch it. Even though that isn't true, since they are telling me that, and I've had no issues in the past I'm trying to turn that into a free HD STB for me. Then I can use that to activate the RedZone channel and also use it for VOD. But I'm on hold now.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
tjtv

Thanks for all the help. I ran guided setup before the installer arrived. I got very nervous when the Verizon Fios tech arrived and told me that he had never done a cablecard install before, and was stuck with my installation job because he was the only one willing to work that particular timeslot! However, the install went very smoothly, he simply typed all of the information into the system and the cablecards were activated immediately. This was MUCH better than when I previously had cablecards installed by cablevision and comcast, each of which required 3+ appointments until they could finally get the cablecards to work properly.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
VAPhishen

Quote:
I'm on the phone now but still no luck. I'm trying to get a free STB out of it since at one point they came back with an answer that I need a FiOS STB to watch it. Even though that isn't true, since they are telling me that, and I've had no issues in the past I'm trying to turn that into a free HD STB for me. Then I can use that to activate the RedZone channel and also use it for VOD. But I'm on hold now.
I haven’t had a chance as of yet to contact Verizon about the RedZone. This morning I checked to see what message was up so I could call today and didn’t have the previous activate message. It now has a RedZone splash screen - It looks as if they have corrected the issue, we’ll see Sunday.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
NYHeel

Quote:
I havenít had a chance as of yet to contact Verizon about the RedZone. This morning I checked to see what message was up so I could call today and didnít have the previous activate message. It now has a RedZone splash screen - It looks as if they have corrected the issue, weíll see Sunday.
I hope they've fixed it. I haven't looked yet. I bought the Red Zone channel the last few years but this year I have the ultimate package so I don't have to buy it separately. Now I'm nervous for Sunday.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
rsnaider

I lost NFL Redzone and never thought to try one of my STB's to get it back.

I just hope I can get 835 (HD) as I only has SD boxes and my hope is tuning to 335 gives me both as I need the HD for my Series 4 boxes.

I will try this tonight.

Edit: do not mean to steal ths thread, but thanks for the info, using my STB goT me red zone.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini

Last edited by rsnaider : 09-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
plazman30

One of the HUGE advantages of TiVo here is that you can switch providers and still keep all your recorded content. I know people that won't dump Comcast because "I still have 80 hours worth of crap on the DVR I need to watch." With TiVo, you just pull the Comcast Cable Card out, slide the Verizon one in, run guided setup and you're good to go. Couldn't get any better.

I'd swear the Cable Company DVR is a lock in at the point. You don't wan to lose your shows, and the longer you keep it, the more stuff keeps recording. It's a vicious cycle.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
swarto112

ya cable card install for fios is easy i got me xl4/stream on sept 5. just used the cablecard self install. a few of the premium channels didnt activate resend, wala. plus the moca speed is sooo nice. looking forward to dumping the fios stb's on other tv's when mini comes out
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #18
cmshep222

With Fios, you should ditch any wireless adapters (if applicable) that you are using. The Premieres can connect to the Fios router via MOCA without a wifi adapter.
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
tjtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshep222 View Post
With Fios, you should ditch any wireless adapters (if applicable) that you are using. The Premieres can connect to the Fios router via MOCA without a wifi adapter.
Can you explain this comment a bit more? I thought only the new premieres xl4, premiere4 had moca built in? The older two tuner premieres do not have moca as far as I'm aware.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
cmshep222

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
Can you explain this comment a bit more? I thought only the new premieres xl4, premiere4 had moca built in? The older two tuner premieres do not have moca as far as I'm aware.
I have been corrected. I assumed all MOCA support was equal, based on the specs on Tivo.com (a bit deceptive).
http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...specs.html#tab

But this Actiontec device gives your Tivo ethernet connectivity, using your fios coax connection. For about the same price as the Tivo Wireless adapter, you can have superfast Moca connectivity.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DIQ2OC
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
tjtv

Thanks. I actually do use moca adapters to distribute internet around my house. However, I purchased MI424WR routers on ebay for much cheaper than the amazon link you posted. The MI424WR can be easily configured as a moca bridge.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #22
Heinrich

I'm about to take the plunge on Friday...

Will all my season passes adjust to the new channels automatically?

I'm having a problem currently with "soccer" in that it covers about 6 channels. Unfortunately, even though they're listed it sometimes totally skips a game. I'm wondering how something like that will translate.
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
ShayL

The SP should unless the channel names are different.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post

I'm having a problem currently with "soccer" in that it covers about 6 channels. Unfortunately, even though they're listed it sometimes totally skips a game. I'm wondering how something like that will translate.
They should adjust but I know in the past when I switched a TiVo from Comcast to FiOS or FiOS to Comcast, the Season Pass would still reflect the original channel numbers even though it would properly record from the new channel locations. So eventually I made new Season Passes so they would reflect the proper channel numbers so it would not be confusing.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Anthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post

I just switched from comcast to fios three weeks ago and everything adjusted to the new channel lineup just fine. Don't forget to run the guided set up and you should be golden.
Anthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post

I just switched from comcast to fios three weeks ago and everything adjusted to the new channel lineup just fine. Don't forget to run the guided set up and you should be golden.
So the actual SP changed to reflect the new channel numbers? If so this is a welcome change.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
Troamer

Hi, I have a tivo premiere. If I switch from Comcast to Verizon, will I lose all of my old Comcast recordings, and will I be able to watch them with Verizon? Thanks!
Troamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troamer View Post
Hi, I have a tivo premiere. If I switch from Comcast to Verizon, will I lose all of my old Comcast recordings, and will I be able to watch them with Verizon? Thanks!
Anything you previously recorded you will still be able to watch.