TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
JohnS-MI

Season Pass to Record a Daily Show Only One Day a Week?

Title asks it all in a general way. I like to watch the noon news daily. However, one day a week (Friday), I participate in a group that meets over lunch, and get home a hour after the news ends.

I could set up an individual recording each week, or I could set up a season pass that would record five days a week and dump four of them. Is there a way to record just one day a week of a show that runs five days a week? If so, tell me like I'm an idiot because I sure can't figure it out.
JohnS-MI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
tatergator1

In this case, it's best to use your Tivo like it was a VCR and simply set a repeating, manual recording.

See here for a step-by-step:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/372
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
humbb

In the unlikely event that there is a Friday only show preceding your noon news, you could set up a SP for that show and pad it for the length of the newscast.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
In this case, it's best to use your Tivo like it was a VCR and simply set a repeating, manual recording.

See here for a step-by-step:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/372
Thanks, I think that will work. I've used manual recordings, but I never noticed the repeating options.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
HarperVision

Why not make a SP but have it keep a max of one show, so that way on Friday when you get home that one show for that day is there waiting for you?
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Why not make a SP but have it keep a max of one show, so that way on Friday when you get home that one show for that day is there waiting for you?
That's what I was going to recommend. This is what I do for many of the news programs I record. That way only the latest version of the news is available.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
But then you have to REMEMBER to keep until I delete, or else on Monday his recording gets wiped.. (or if he automatically keeps until he delete, if he doesn't delete it later, the NEXT one won't get recorded..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:48 AM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
But then you have to REMEMBER to keep until I delete, or else on Monday his recording gets wiped.. (or if he automatically keeps until he delete, if he doesn't delete it later, the NEXT one won't get recorded..)
He said that the only reason he records the news on Fridays is because he's delayed getting home by an hour that day, then he watches it immediately from what I can tell. See below......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
Title asks it all in a general way. I like to watch the noon news daily. However, one day a week (Friday), I participate in a group that meets over lunch, and get home a hour after the news ends. ........<snip>

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
JohnS-MI

Quote:
He said that the only reason he records the news on Fridays is because he's delayed getting home by an hour that day, then he watches it immediately from what I can tell. See below......
Yes, I think the "season pass, keep only one" works as well as the repeating manual record. After a day, it's not news, it's "olds," unlike other program material which may still be of interest. The SP approach also covers any other day I am delayed, so maybe it is slightly better. Both solve the specific concern stated. Thanks, everybody.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
he is likely to watch the news that day and by Monday the news is not all that new anymore.

in nay event our local news comes on multiple times a day with slight variations in the name (WSOC news at noon, WSOC news at 6 etc.. ) I set up an autorecord wishlist and keep at most 3 - that way I have the news from various times of day if someone mentions something they saw...

for something like the daily show - I have a season pass keep at most 5, and then a wishlist to grab the ones with bad guide data......