TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
keithb1

Charter not supporting 6 tuners

I'm getting the run around from Charter. I recently upgraded my Tivo's when Charter went 100% digital and made my older Tivo's obsolete. I decided to upgrade my home LAN to gigabit and install a Roamio Plus and multiple Tivo Mini's.

I ran into a problem with programs not recording and my Mini's going into a "Channel not authorized" state which required rebooting the Roamio to clear. After reading other posts, I pinpointed the problem to the Mcard firmware in my Cisco card. I have a newer Cisco card (2013 manufacture date) but the firmware is 1.5.2_F.p.2401 (June 25 2010 build date). I understand that I need 1.5.3_F.p.1101 or later to support the 6 tuners on my Roamio Plus.

I did find the codes to restrict the Roamio to fewer tuners. I entered in the code for 4 tuners and my problem went away. Actually, one of my Mini's went into the "Channel Not Authorized" state last week but I remembered that the Roamio had a software update (and reboot) which must have cleared the 4-tuner restriction code I entered. I reentered the code to the Roamio and then my Mini was working find again (no need to reboot the Roamio!).

I've had 2 Charter techs at my home so far and they were no help. The cards from their warehouse have the old firmware. Charter told me they only support 4 tuners and even though I've read about other Charter customers having the exact problem resolved with the newer firmware, Charter refuses to fix my problem. I escalated it and had a manager contacting me last week saying he was shipping me out a card that was supposed to arrive Friday or Saturday. It never did and he has quit calling. I called in today and got first level support (the Charter people you talk to never give you their direct lines, only the 888 number). They are sending a tech out tomorrow with a card from the local warehouse (or one the tech has in their truck) so I doubt it's going to have current firmware.

I'm starting to think that Charter doesn't want to fix the problem and wants to put Tivo out of business so Charter can lease me boxes for all my TV sets.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Where can I file a complaint?
keithb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

File a formal complaint with the FCC:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

It's pretty much the only way to get a cable company to behave in situations like this. It will probably take a few weeks, but eventually someone higher up in Charter that can actually fix your problem will contact you in response to the complaint and get you a card with the firmware you need.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
godsey1

We just went all digital, and the only problem we have run into were the season pass' didn't change to the new channels, so we had to re-program all the ones that changed channels.

I will see if all 6 tuners are still working, I know they did before the switch.
godsey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
keithb1

Thanks for the FCC link. I filed a complaint so hopefully that will help get Charter to fix the problem.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
godsey1

Just started 5 shows recording (the sixth one has a mini on it) and all of them recorded. hopefully the FCC will get them jumping for you. Good luck,

Tony
godsey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
tim1724

See if you can get Charter to give you an older PK800 card. They've been upgrading those to 1.5.3.1101 even though they refuse to update the firmware on the newer PK803.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
keithb1

I wanted to give an update on my saga.

After about a month after I issued the FCC complaint, I got a call from a person at Charter which got me in touch with a person locally. They sent a tech with a card with the appropriate firmware and things have been working just fine for 2 weeks now.

Sure would have been easier if they did this from the beginning.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Just so you know, it's not a nationwide problem with Charter. My area has been digital only for quite a while and I got my first roamio just under a year ago, and all 6 tuners worked flawlessly immediately. My area however is on Motorola and not Cisco, so maybe that is the major problem?

I realize this doesn't help your situation, just arming you with some more knowledge you can throw at them.

Roamio Pro
Roamio Pro
Premiere XL4

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
Kungfubarbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
See if you can get Charter to give you an older PK800 card. They've been upgrading those to 1.5.3.1101 even though they refuse to update the firmware on the newer PK803.
Actually, it was the roamio preventing the upgrade, because once I switched the pkm800 card from series 3 to new tivo, the upgrade on Cisco pkm803 went thru when the series 3 rebooted. Firmware went from 1.5.2.3001 to 1.5.3.1101.

I also had to limit the Roamio to 4 tuners before it all worked. Now I have the issue of a few randomly missing channels on both tivos.
Kungfubarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
philt56

Has anyone had similar problems with comcast? I'm wondering if I will have to get a new card for my roamio. The card in S3 is probably 5 years old.
philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by philt56 View Post
Has anyone had similar problems with comcast? I'm wondering if I will have to get a new card for my roamio. The card in S3 is probably 5 years old.
If the S3 is using still using the old S-cards, then you'll need a new card. If you have an M-card then it will probably work fine.