TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
BKNY

New Roamio box - replace HDD before turning it on?

My new Roamio TiVO is on its way. I'm new to this so please forgive my n00b questions!

I know I want to upgrade the HDD. I've been using WD Reds in my NAS so I will likely go with those for the TiVO as well. But I'm wondering if it's ok to replace the HDD in the TiVO before plugging it in or if I should plug in., set up, etc and then replace the HDD? I assume the new HDD will need to be formatted once inside the TiVO.

Thank you!

BKNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNY View Post
My new Roamio TiVO is on its way. I'm new to this so please forgive my n00b questions!

I know I want to upgrade the HDD. I've been using WD Reds in my NAS so I will likely go with those for the TiVO as well. But I'm wondering if it's ok to replace the HDD in the TiVO before plugging it in or if I should plug in., set up, etc and then replace the HDD? I assume the new HDD will need to be formatted once inside the TiVO.

Thank you!
Thats exactly what I did when I bought my Roamio (basic) a couple years back. I checked some of the threads, figured out which drive to buy, got the correct 3TB drive, and, before I ever powered it up, I installed the 3TB drive carefully instead of the original drive, then, when I plugged it in and installed it, the Roamio configured it and set it up to go!

Old 07-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
BKNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebgal View Post
Thats exactly what I did when I bought my Roamio (basic) a couple years back. I checked some of the threads, figured out which drive to buy, got the correct 3TB drive, and, before I ever powered it up, I installed the 3TB drive carefully instead of the original drive, then, when I plugged it in and installed it, the Roamio configured it and set it up to go!
Thank you so much for the reply! I will install the new HDD before I plug it in. It arrives on Thursday so I need to pick up my cable card before then as well. Looking forward to joining the TiVO community!

(Side Note: I'm reading through these OnePass threads and it looks kind of messy! Haha.)

BKNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
It may be best to have it powered on and have the software updated before you swap drives. There had been one issue where the un-updated software didn't work with a 6TB drive, but did work after update.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
It may be best to have it powered on and have the software updated before you swap drives. There had been one issue where the un-updated software didn't work with a 6TB drive, but did work after update.
I don't think this is correct. The TiVo will install a 3TB drive with no prep needed. To install a 6tb drive you have to do some special stuff. There's a thread in the upgrade section that talks about exactly how to do this. But for the 3TB it's just plug and play. No worries about what software is on the unit.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Fernwood

I installed a 3TB before I plugged it in, no problems at all.

Fernwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernwood View Post
I installed a 3TB before I plugged it in, no problems at all.
Isn't it great? TONS of space!!