TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
sheisler28

1xFF closed captioning w/Roamio?

After over a week in pure hell trying to get my Roamio working with our Cox Cable Card we finally got it sort of working enough to record a couple shows. Problem is I am finding that the closed captioning is not working when you are 1X fast forwarding. I have had an older 2 tuner non-HD TIVo for years and years and I use this feature ALL the time to skim through boring parts of shows. I miss this terribly. Please tell me this feature is not gone! This is one of the major things that sets Tivo apart from the other DVR's!

This has all been such a headache that I don't know how much more I can take!
sheisler28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisler28 View Post
Problem is I am finding that the closed captioning is not working when you are 1X fast forwarding. I have had an older 2 tuner non-HD TIVo for years and years and I use this feature ALL the time to skim through boring parts of shows. I miss this terribly. Please tell me this feature is not gone!
Sorry, none of the Premiere or Roamio TiVo's can do that. Has already been discussed on other forums. [corrected]

The feature I really wish it had were to have sped-up play where you can adjust the playback by 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% faster WITH AUDIO and it adjusts the audio tone. I have a DVD player that does it and it is very nice for content which moves along too slowly.

Last edited by crxssi : 09-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisler28 View Post
Problem is I am finding that the closed captioning is not working when you are 1X fast forwarding. I have had an older 2 tuner non-HD TIVo for years and years and I use this feature ALL the time to skim through boring parts of shows. I miss this terribly. Please tell me this feature is not gone! This is one of the major things that sets Tivo apart from the other DVR's!
The Series 3 TiVos are the last that have this feature (both S3 and S3-HD). From S4/Premiere on, this feature was lost.

Like you, I absolutely love this. I've actually kept alive an older S3 in my bedroom, just so I can watch the Today Show at 1X-FF w/captions in the morning as I get ready for work.

I talked to TiVoMargret (sp?) about this not long after the Premieres were released. She said a rewrite of the code base killed this, and there was no easy way to bring it back.

Funny timing on your post. I've been setting up my new Roamio Pro over the last couple days. My Elite has been relegated to 2nd tier status, and it has been moved to the bedroom. The S3 is now awaiting its fate. I don't really have the room or desire to keep two TiVos in the bedroom, so my days of watching Matt & Savannah (mainly Natalie) at FF-1X is over.

OTOH, I am loving the new Pro. Sorry to hear of your problems. Hopefully, once it's all worked out, it will be worth it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Sorry, none of the HD tuner TiVo's can do that.
None of the current ones. But the Series 3 can do it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
sheisler28

Arrow This may be the nail in the coffin for Tivo for me

Really? Why would they take away such a great feature? This is one of the best features that sets the Tivo DVR apart from the COX DVR for me!

Knowing that this can't be fixed and along with the set-up nightmares I may have to send my Roamio back in for a refund! We've had the Roamio for 10 days. We still don't have it working properly. We've gone through 7 cable cards, 12+ hours on the phone with both (mainly) Cox and Tivo, had 2 technicians to the house and another scheduled for Monday. We've emailed Margret here at Tivo as suggested by other posters but haven't received a response.

I've been a Tivo lover since 2003 and was really excited about getting the Roamio and having all the HD capabilities. Now I am just frustrated and sad. Why Tivo Why?
sheisler28 is offline   Reply With Quote