TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
yoheidiho

How do you connect your Tuning Adapter?

I have split my coax signal between my Tivo and the required Cisco TA with the USB being the only connection between the two devices.

I had a blank screen even and called Tivo tech support. After going through the paces and verifying the connections, the CSR suggested removing the splitter and connecting the coax to TA in series before the Tivo. I took that suggestion under advisement and retained my setup. I had be advised that the splitter within the Cisco TA is inferior to high quality stand alone splitters.

So how do you make the tuning adapter connection?
yoheidiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Mike1973

Coax doesn't get split between the two. There is an input and output on the T/A, cable from the wall goes into the input, then a short cable from the output to the input on the Tivo, then the USB.
Mike1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Mike1973

I know TW locally suggests letting the box boot up for a few minutes without the USB cable attached. If everything is right, a screen should pop up on the Tivo saying the tuning adapter is connected.
Mike1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
MeInDallas

I've had mine connected both ways. The reason being that someone in another forum was raving on and on about how it fixed the whole "no suggestions" issue for him, so I gave it a whirl. Didnt fix the issue unfortunately. I also noticed that I was getting more errors with having a splitter before the tuning adapter, why I dont know. So I just put it back the normal way.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoheidiho View Post
I have split my coax signal between my Tivo and the required Cisco TA with the USB being the only connection between the two devices.

I had a blank screen even and called Tivo tech support. After going through the paces and verifying the connections, the CSR suggested removing the splitter and connecting the coax to TA in series before the Tivo. I took that suggestion under advisement and retained my setup. I had be advised that the splitter within the Cisco TA is inferior to high quality stand alone splitters.

So how do you make the tuning adapter connection?
is it authorized on the account?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoheidiho View Post
the CSR suggested removing the splitter and connecting the coax to TA in series before the Tivo. I took that suggestion under advisement and retained my setup.
This is a new one.
  • My cable connection with tuning adapter doesn't work.
  • CSR told me how to set it up correctly.
  • I ignored that because I know better and left it is as.
  • Please help me.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

He most likely thinks the USB is where the video will go to get TiVo'd, but its only a way to control the adapter.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

How to install a Tuning Adapter for switched digital video

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...RBQ1d0bA%3D%3D
Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
scole250

I have 3 Tivos, all with Cisco TAs where no splitter is used. It goes in the TA, then out to the Tivo. Have had no problems in a year and half. TAs are very sensitive to cable signal quality. Not necessarily signal strength, but noise. Go to the Tuning Adapter menu diagnostics and find the Tuner, FDC and RDC dBmV levels. Tuner and FDC should be as close to 0 as possible +/- 6 or 7 should be ok. Anything +/- 8 or higher and it could be causing issues. RDC should be over 28. I think these are acceptable levels. If it's outside those levels, call cable co to have tech clean up wiring and signal.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
WO312

I have 3 TA's - one hooked up to a Tivo HD, a Premiere 4, and an HTPC. All of them are hooked up like yours - split before the TA, with one feed going to the TA and one going to the DVR. I have no problems whatsoever.

The only one the NEEDS to be hooked up this way is the HD, because I have the GC not updating properly problem so I have my TA on a timer. When the TA is not powered up I lose the signal if the coax goes through the TA.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
pmiranda

FWIW I've tried it both ways with my TW/Cisco TAs and my present, best, configuration is a splitter before the TAs and TiVos. My S3 seemed more sensitive to problems than the TA but I haven't reconfigured since adding a Premiere.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
ajwees41

How cox says to hook them up http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...YourMotoTA.pdf
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
That is only "necessary" if you are using the built-in MoCA on a Premiere 4/XL4. The Cisco TA cannot pass MoCA frequencies above 1GHz. The splitter is not needed with any 2-tuner Premieres, using a Cisco TA.

I don't use MoCA on my XL4, so I use the RF pass-thru on the Cisco TA, it has a signal amp of about 3dB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-29-2013 at 11:49 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Tony Chick

My T-W installer used the splitter method, says they are instructed to do so because the pass-thru in the T/A isn't very good and saps signal strength. Remember, the T/A's only job is to send a signal back to the head-end, it does nothing to the local signal at all.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
yoheidiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
This is a new one.
  • My cable connection with tuning adapter doesn't work.
  • CSR told me how to set it up correctly.
  • I ignored that because I know better and left it is as.
  • Please help me.
Not true. I asked how other did their hook-ups. There is more than one way to connect a tuning adapter, splitter or pass through. I have retained by hook-up which worked fine for the past 2+ years except for less than one day. I was just interested in how others made the connection.

Yes, I ignored the CSR because her suggestion didn't address my issue which I believe is related to the latest software update. Sorry, but I never asked for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
Exactly the way I hook up my three systems with tuning adapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
My T-W installer used the splitter method, says they are instructed to do so because the pass-thru in the T/A isn't very good and saps signal strength.
Thanks for the confirmation.
yoheidiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
jon96cobra

I have an XL4 in my living room with a tuning adapter and the tivo works fine with the tuning adapter for a while then it losses connection stops all recording and 5 to 10 min later say reconnected. Does this randomly I only saw the message on the screen twice but started noticing a lot of my show cut off. I called Cox about the issue so I swapped out the usb cable thinking that was the issue but couldn't have it repeat the issue while on the phone with the tech. After 2 day s it started again so I called again and the sent out a tech but again couldn't recreate the issue. So I called and the tech on the phone recommended swapping out the tuning adapter now I can't get all the stations back and the light on the Cisco STA 1520 still blinking.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon96cobra View Post
I have an XL4 in my living room with a tuning adapter and the tivo works fine with the tuning adapter for a while then it losses connection stops all recording and 5 to 10 min later say reconnected. Does this randomly I only saw the message on the screen twice but started noticing a lot of my show cut off. I called Cox about the issue so I swapped out the usb cable thinking that was the issue but couldn't have it repeat the issue while on the phone with the tech. After 2 day s it started again so I called again and the sent out a tech but again couldn't recreate the issue. So I called and the tech on the phone recommended swapping out the tuning adapter now I can't get all the stations back and the light on the Cisco STA 1520 still blinking.
They tend to blink in a pattern. The number, speed, and pauses will correlate to what the issue is. You can get that info from Cisco's website.

I hooked up six, they worked fine for a month, then went into "Service Disconnect (brick) mode". Cox fixed the issue by provisioning the TAs. They shouldn't have even worked for the time they did. The S/N of each TA must be provisioned (associated with your account).

The funny thing is, that the first 13 Cox reps I talked to couldn't figure it out. I even specifically asked if they needed to be provisioned, or authorized, like my cablecards. They either had no answer, or said "NO". The 14th rep had the issue fixed in 15 seconds, as the S/Ns were in their system from being picked up at the store, but they had never been provisioned.

Best bet, if you want any channels until you can get them provisioned, is to disconnect the TA entirely. Once it is in brick mode, it will block everything, and removing it will get you the channels that don't require a TA.

Your mileage may vary. Some markets (regions) might not give you any channels at all, if they require a TA, and you disconnect it. I think the reason they couldn't be auto-provisioned, is because they need to be hooked up and booted, so they can send the magic signals at that point.

Just to be clear, when I say disconnect, I mean remove it entirely, USB, coax, power, and all, like as if it isn't even there.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
scole250

Many problems with tuning adapters are due to poor signal quality. Not sure if Cox has a TA diagnostics menu same as Time Warner. Go to Settings, Account & System Information, Tuning Adapter, Tuning Adapter Diagnostics. Go thru the displays until you see values for Tuner dBmV, FDC dBmV and RDC dBmV. What are they? Should be less than +/-7 for Tuner and FDC. More than 28, I think, for RDC. May not be the problem, but worth checking.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
jon96cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Many problems with tuning adapters are due to poor signal quality. Not sure if Cox has a TA diagnostics menu same as Time Warner. Go to Settings, Account & System Information, Tuning Adapter, Tuning Adapter Diagnostics. Go thru the displays until you see values for Tuner dBmV, FDC dBmV and RDC dBmV. What are they? Should be less than +/-7 for Tuner and FDC. More than 28, I think, for RDC. May not be the problem, but worth checking.
-4 FDC dBmV
30 RDC dBmV

Thanks for the info I'm still looking for the Blinking light troubleshooting.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
-4 FDC dBmV
30 RDC dBmV

See if the following link is helpful
Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

If you have any specific questions just ask.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
-4 FDC dBmV
30 RDC dBmV

That rules out the signal strength, both Forward and Return data channels.

You didn't mention the SNR, If it is below 35 that MAY be an issue, but it should still work.

The signal strengths are in the "sweet spot", so I'd leave things hooked up as they are (unless you remove them temporarily).

Even if a TA has been provisioned, you can ask that they be re-provisioned, just like you can do with a Cable Modem that is provisioned, has been working fine, then starts acting up...

They can also troubleshoot the TAs remotely, as they communicate in both directions, unlike a cablecard (which they can't view the status of remotely). They can also get a read on what the blinking light means. They also could see that my units were in brick mode (Cox).
Old 08-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
jon96cobra

As of this morning the flashing has stopped. I have all channels again.
Now I'm just waiting to see if this adapter stays connected. Tired of getting partial shows. At least for now its up and working again. I need this ready to go for football season.

Thank you for the links for the flashing light.

Could not find the SNR
FDC -2 dBmV
RDC 32 dBmV
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
As of this morning the flashing has stopped. I have all channels again.
Now I'm just waiting to see if this adapter stays connected. Tired of getting partial shows. At least for now its up and working again. I need this ready to go for football season.

Thank you for the links for the flashing light.

Could not find the SNR
FDC -2 dBmV
RDC 32 dBmV
You know how TiVo has a CableCard menu screen, where you can view many screens of data from the CC, which is a whole different screen from DVR Diags? Another one gets added for your TA that reads many screens of info from the TA. The SNR is in there. It just takes going through a few screens to find it.

Your currently posted (updated) signal levels are still excellent. However, you can have excellent signal levels (strengths), but if your SNR isn't in range, it won't matter how excellent the rest is. SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio. The more noise (ingress/interference) the lower the SNR. Too much noise equals low SNR, and it can cause problems.

If you still can't find it, let us know, and one of us will guide you step-by-step.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
jon96cobra

Found the SNR yesterday while going through all the menus for Diagnostics and found it at 38db. I checked tonight and its 35db.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Found the SNR yesterday while going through all the menus for Diagnostics and found it at 38db. I checked tonight and its 35db.
That is also very good. TiVos seem to have issues (sometimes) with SNR above 36 (which makes no sense, because if they define SNR the same as everybody else, it just means a cleaner signal). However, the TA isn't the TiVo, and should be very happy with it at 38. Even 35 is well within the sweet spot (for both).

At which screen did you pull the SNR from (just to be thorough, since it should be available from a few menus)?

So, I'm seeing no signal or SNR issues. Cox can see all this from their end, and if you call, they should be able to tell you what values are being reported back.

If you experience any further issues, check the same values at the time of the problem.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
jon96cobra

Thanks for helping me out. The SNR is on the DVR Diagnostics screen. Also give your signal strength which mine is 89 to 90 % which isn't bad since I'm going though 2 splitters.
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Thanks for helping me out. The SNR is on the DVR Diagnostics screen. Also give your signal strength which mine is 89 to 90 % which isn't bad since I'm going though 2 splitters.
That's good as well. If it were pegged at 100 all the time, on all channels, that would be a sign of a signal that may be too strong for your TiVo to operate properly with (just the TiVo, as the TA has a better threshold).

Note: On Premieres, as of the last update, they "broke" the DVR Diags screen, and the readings will stop updating in near-realtime, as they should. Some variations of the Premiere are affected, others are not. If you see a minor fluctuation in the readings, and it keeps fluctuating, then you are not affected. If it stops fluctuating, then you are affected, and a reboot is required to get another shot at getting realtime readings.

Note 2: The readings you are getting at the DVR Diags screen are ONLY what the TiVo's tuners are receiving. You still need to go to the TA menus and find the reading there to know, for sure, exactly what the TA is receiving. Cox can also read that info, since the TA communicates both directions (unlike the cablecard, which can ONLY receive data, when used in any retail device, like TiVo. Cable provider boxes have the same cards, but can communicate both directions). If you call and ask, they can tell you exactly what the TA's readings are.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-11-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: made more "absolute" to prevent the "absolutes" crowd from lynching me.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Cox can also read that info, since the TA communicates both directions (unlike the cablecard, which can ONLY receive data).
Not true for the cablecards at all, and never has been (though in the very early days it was thought so). There isn't any way for the TiVo to tell the cablecard anything to pass along to the cable company head end, so not two-way in that sense, but the cablecard itself can send its status along to the head end upon request.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Not true for the cablecards at all, and never has been (though in the very early days it was thought so). There isn't any way for the TiVo to tell the cablecard anything to pass along to the cable company head end, so not two-way in that sense, but the cablecard itself can send its status along to the head end upon request.
Well, this is a TiVo forum, a TiVo related thread, and I'm answering a TiVo related post. All you are really doing is pointing out a "technicality" or more so an "absolute", that I already knew. So, you're really only agreeing, but apparently felt the need to be one of those "absolutes" types, that just have to waste space at any opportunity that presents. This will be the only rise you get from me in this thread, on this subject, so enjoy it.

So, since we are talking absolutes: Cable boxes from a provider have the same cards, but they can operate in two-way mode and then the provider can read them, since they communicate both ways. It was a gov't mandate that cablecards in retail equipment only communicate in one direction. I know there is no such thing as a one-way card. It just becomes unable to do two-way in retail equipment, so it's often mistakenly called a one-way card. It detects the device it is in and boots into "slow boot mode", which is another way of saying it boots into one direction communication mode, which takes longer. No retail device has ever existed, or currently exists that can use a cablecard in bidirectional mode. So, why even bring it up (please, don't answer, I already know). We're talking TiVo here, not the whole world and all scenarios.

So pat yourself on the back for making a correction that I point out as unnecessary/irrelevant in paragraph one. It's people that just have to be "absolute" about everything that make this forum more bickering than APPLICABLE INFORMATION about TiVos, which makes threads that could be hundreds of posts long, tens of thousands of posts long. If this was DSLREPORTS, or some other forum, that isn't a TiVo specific forum, I'd have included the extra info. I was trying to keep it short and concise for the person I was replying to. No offense to him, but he seems a bit of a novice at finding what he's looking for, that is applicable, and I didn't want his eyes to glaze over by posting all the extra you and I just did.

EDIT/ADD: I updated the post you quoted to make it more acceptable to the "absolutes" types.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #30
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Well, this is a TiVo forum, a TiVo related thread, and I'm answering a TiVo related post. All you are really doing is pointing out a "technicality" or more so an "absolute", that I already knew. So, you're really only agreeing, but apparently felt the need to be one of those "absolutes" types, that just have to waste space at any opportunity that presents. This will be the only rise you get from me in this thread, on this subject, so enjoy it.

So, since we are talking absolutes: Cable boxes from a provider have the same cards, but they can operate in two-way mode and then the provider can read them, since they communicate both ways. It was a gov't mandate that cablecards in retail equipment only communicate in one direction. I know there is no such thing as a one-way card. It just becomes unable to do two-way in retail equipment, so it's often mistakenly called a one-way card. It detects the device it is in and boots into "slow boot mode", which is another way of saying it boots into one direction communication mode, which takes longer. No retail device has ever existed, or currently exists that can use a cablecard in bidirectional mode. So, why even bring it up (please, don't answer, I already know). We're talking TiVo here, not the whole world and all scenarios.

So pat yourself on the back for making a correction that I point out as unnecessary/irrelevant in paragraph one. It's people that just have to be "absolute" about everything that make this forum more bickering than APPLICABLE INFORMATION about TiVos, which makes threads that could be hundreds of posts long, tens of thousands of posts long. If this was DSLREPORTS, or some other forum, that isn't a TiVo specific forum, I'd have included the extra info. I was trying to keep it short and concise for the person I was replying to. No offense to him, but he seems a bit of a novice at finding what he's looking for, that is applicable, and I didn't want his eyes to glaze over by posting all the extra you and I just did.

EDIT/ADD: I updated the post you quoted to make it more acceptable to the "absolutes" types.
Sorry, it's still wrong. The cable company has complete two-way communication with the cablecard, independent of the device it is in. (It does not have communication with the TiVo through the cablecard, which is why tuning adapters are needed, for instance).

In other words, the cable company can determine the status of the cablecard in exactly the same way as it can determine the status of the TA. With a well-setup system and a trained representative, the rep can send a pairing signal to my TiVo cablecard and the cablecard will respond that it has been received and the rep can tell me that (and has done so with me a couple of times.)

I agree with you that the provider can determine the status of their own cable boxes, and they can't determine the status of the TiVo itself (no communication standard there, despite several attempts). However, they can determine the status of the cablecard itself remotely, and have always been able to, contrary to your statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow
Note 2: The readings you are getting at the DVR Diags screen are ONLY what the TiVo's tuners are receiving. You still need to go to the TA menus and find the reading there to know, for sure, exactly what the TA is receiving. Cox can also read that info, since the TA communicates both directions (unlike the cablecard, which can ONLY receive data, when used in any retail device, like TiVo. Cable provider boxes have the same cards, but can communicate both directions). If you call and ask, they can tell you exactly what the TA's readings are.