TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Scott R. Scherr

Suggestions should not take priority over mini

I bought the Roamio Plus and one Mini and we love it. No issues with Fios.

I have one thing that Tivo should change. Right now, if the Roamio is recording suggestions and all tuners are occupied, it will not let the Mini watch live TV. I know I could turn suggestions off to avoid this problem, but we like the suggestions feature. My wife will be confused because the Mini will tell her all 6 tuners are occupied and she cannot watch live TV. Upon investigation, on each occasion, the Tivo was recording several suggestions. I think that if a Mini attempts to watch live TV, it should cancel one of the suggestions.

I know one solution is to record the show she wants to watch, but this shouldn't be necessary.

I love the Tivo otherwise.

Scott

Last edited by Scott R. Scherr : 09-10-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: addition
Scott R. Scherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

TiVo should have an option to select how many tuners to use for suggestions.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Perhaps they are trying to drive time and place shifting behavior?

Just like live tv on the primary unit, it should let you kill a suggestion if you want to view live tv from a mini.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
gweempose

This definitely seems like a design flaw. Suggestions should only record when they don't interfere with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
TiVo should have an option to select how many tuners to use for suggestions.
This sounds like a perfectly reasonable solution.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Scherr View Post
I think that if a Mini attempts to watch live TV, it should cancel one of the suggestions.
One problem... What if someone else in the house is watching that suggestion? Like say someone else in the house is using a second Mini to watch that suggestion while it's recording. If you simply cancel it then they will be left with a partial recording. Unlikely scenario, but something they have to at least consider.

Simply limiting the number of tuners allowed for suggestions might not help either. What if your TiVo is recording 4 real shows and 2 suggestions and you have the limit set to 2. Then you'd have the exact same dilemma you have now.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Scott R. Scherr

IMHO, suggestions should always be given the lowest priority since the show was not selected by anyone to record. I think it is rare that people start suggestions while they are still recording, but I recognize that it could happen. At least give the mini user the option to cancel the suggestion or allow a menu selection stating which should take priority.
Scott R. Scherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
One problem... What if someone else in the house is watching that suggestion? Like say someone else in the house is using a second Mini to watch that suggestion while it's recording. If you simply cancel it then they will be left with a partial recording. Unlikely scenario, but something they have to at least consider.
I don't think that exact scenario can happen, though a similar one can. As far as I know, there is no way for the second Mini to be watching a tuner that is recording anything. My understanding is Mini live-tv tuners can only be used for Mini live-tv, and that didn't change when they added DTA on the Roamio.

Your scenario still works, just the second user has to be viewing the Suggestion on the Roamio itself.

Edit: My statement above is wrong. Nobody on a Mini can be watching the Suggestion as live-tv, but of course they could have gone into the "My Shows" of the Roamio and select the recording of the Suggestion to view. Not likely, but could happen.

Last edited by CrispyCritter : 09-11-2013 at 12:01 PM.
CrispyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That makes is complicated, but could be resolved with a pop-up on the host to deny the change (or just let the tivo choose another tuner to respond to the min).
Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
jmpage2

The host TiVo knows if anyone is watching the suggestion. If no one is watching it should just cancel it and release the tuner to the Mini.

If someone is watching the suggestion then it either shouldn't offer that one as a sacrifice to the Mini or it should prompt the user watching it that someone else is asking for the tuner.

Pretty easy if you ask me.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
macevedo

Also to assign a tuner.

I had the same issue recently. Ended up turning off suggestions. Even though the Roamio has DTA I would still like the chance to assign a tuner to a specific mini. My mother in law watches one specific channel and only one. Everytime she turns on her TV it comes up in another channel. I know, how hard is it to change it to the correct channel? Not hard at all, but when these little things like no tuners available happen then it gets a little bit more complicated.
macevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
TimA

A simple 'check box' setting would work: "Allow Mini Live TV priority over suggestions Y/N". You don't have to turn off suggestions and you are given a choice. I think it would annoy people if the the Mini continuously bombarded viewers with messages concerning suggestion recordings.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote