TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
colo_artist

Wire rack perfect fit for Roamio Basic

I wanted to put a bit of space between my Roamio Basic and my Apple TV and HDMI switch.

I found a wire rack that fit it perfectly, a Rubbermaid "1J2609BLA Small Expandable Wire Helpers Shelf".

The rack has two pieces, a rack with 4 legs and an extension with 2 legs and 2 vertical hooks.

I started with the extension. I wanted a "shorty" rack to being the Roamio up about 1" so as to better place the unit behind the cabinet's glass insert. Bending the vertical hooks straight down was simple. I then cut off the legs to the desired height.

Even easier was the upper rack...just snip the legs off to the right length, replace the rubber feet and it was good to go.

FYI...thanks to the forum for the info about upgrading the Roamio to 3TB. It was super simple.

Also, the HDMI switch is a Sabrent ST-HDMI. It works well and its small lights match the ATV's light perfectly. There's even a profile for it in Logitech's Harmony One's devices list.

colo_artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
andyw715

For some reason I was thinking "A TiVo in a wine rack? Weird. "
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
colo_artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
For some reason I was thinking "A TiVo in a wine rack? Weird. "
Now that would be an entertainment center.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_artist View Post
I wanted to put a bit of space between my Roamio Basic and my Apple TV and HDMI switch.

colo,

Tell me more about your HDMI switch, please. I need to add one that will play nicely with 2 TiVos, and an AppleTV . Does that one autoswitch even though TiVo is always "On"?

Thanks!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
colo_artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
colo,

Tell me more about your HDMI switch, please. I need to add one that will play nicely with 2 TiVos, and an AppleTV . Does that one autoswitch even though TiVo is always "On"?

Thanks!
The Sabrent ST-HTMI will only auto-switch when there's one active line, which means it doesn't auto-switch with my setup since I leave the ATV and TiVo on all the time.

However, before it I had a Kinivo 501BN. It does auto-switch no matter how many ports are active. It's a nice unit and worked okay, but occasionally it would get confused and not switch properly between already active ports.

If you want to hide the switch and turn most of your equipment on and off, the Kinivo would be a good choice. But I like the directness of the Sabrent...sent a signal and it switches to the port with out any fussiness. Plus it has an on/off power toggle with the Kinivo lacked, not that either one uses much power.

Both devices are listed in my Harmony One device listings.

The Sabrent's lights are blue and white, the white matching the white light of the ATV. The Kinivo's are red and green, and BRIGHT...nice at christmas time, but otherwise a bit distracting.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

Thanks!

I know TiVos are always HDMI "On"; is the Apple TV "On" when sleeping? Auto-switch with many active devices is my goal.

My old RCA switcher seems pretty smart as it could detect which remote was in-use (learned) and switch to the correct device. That would be ideal here.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
colo_artist

I have my ATV set to "never" for sleep, but I did a bit of testing. As far as I can tell when it's asleep, there's no HDMI activity to the switch.