TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
ddehr026

CableCard vs. CableCard with Tuner - Time Warner

So I'm thinking of making the switch to Tivo. Looking to pick up a Premiere with a lifetime sub (anyone here have one ).

Anyways, when I go to get my time warner service, it says either CableCard, or CableCard with tuner. What's the difference and which one do I need??

Thanks!
ddehr026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
MeInDallas

Cable Card and Tuning Adapter, you need both.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
ddehr026

Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
TomStapes

With the Premiere, you only need one cable card to get service, not two like I had to have on my old Series 3.
The Tuning Adapter will get you the channels that TWC has moved over to switched digital, like BBC America (and a few other less watched channels.)

Getting the cable card and tuning adapter provisioned can be a hassle sometimes, but eventually you will get someone who knows what they are doing.
TomStapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
ddehr026

Cool thanks again.

I'm debating on whether to order online or just go to a store to order. I'm moving in this weekend, in a perfect world i'd like to have everything hooked up sunday night, but I'm not expecting that to happen 100%.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
scole250

The new Roamios (series 5) are available now. You can buy Premiere 4s, with lifetime sub and warranty, on Ebay for a song now while folks unload them to buy the Roamios.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
rustymike12

I'm on TW with a premier and I have trouble with the switched digital channels, so much so, that I'm considering Direct TV and pitching the Tivo.
rustymike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
cosmo4u
c

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymike12 View Post
I'm on TW with a premier and I have trouble with the switched digital channels, so much so, that I'm considering Direct TV and pitching the Tivo.
i just moved and had to get TWC.. Ive had nothing but trouble with my switched signal. Sports pass works when it wants, channels constantly dropping. Three Techs have come out, all stating they have never worked with mcards. call TWC and the cable card tech on the phone says they cant do anything for the signal the tech at the house has to fix it. Its a revolving door nightmare of stupidity. Think before jumping in, I hope you have beeter luck than I am.
cosmo4u is offline   Reply With Quote