TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
rkshack

tivohd booting issue

I have a TiVo hd that is about 3 years old. Expanded to 1tb. It goes to the welcome starting up page and then the screen goes black and then back to welcome. I put in the old original drive and it booted without difficulty. The drive is a wd10ears. I did the windows dldiag program and no errors found. I tried to run wdidle3 1.04 and it just gave me a system error when I typed in wdidle3

Any suggestions?

I assume it is a bad drive. If so what is a good inexpensive 1tb drive to replace it with.

rkshack
rkshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The popular upgrade drive now is wd20eurs. If you insist on only 1 TB, I guess it would be wd10eurs.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
rkshack

double button presses needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
I have a TiVo hd that is about 3 years old. Expanded to 1tb. It goes to the welcome starting up page and then the screen goes black and then back to welcome. I put in the old original drive and it booted without difficulty. The drive is a wd10ears. I did the windows dldiag program and no errors found. I tried to run wdidle3 1.04 and it just gave me a system error when I typed in wdidle3

Any suggestions?

I assume it is a bad drive. If so what is a good inexpensive 1tb drive to replace it with.

rkshack
So because the wdidle would not work on my pc and the hard drive diagnostics did not work I put it back in the tivo. The funny thing is it boot up fine. Now though it is slow to respond to button presses. Basically I press a button and it may not respond. If it does not when I hit the next buttone it will do the first action and the second. For example: I have the screen on music photos etc. I push down. Nothing happens. It does not look like the yellow light blinks. I then hit right and the screen moves down to messages. Sometimes it will go ahead and do the second instruction other times it will do the second when I hit the third etc.

Any ideas.

rkshack
rkshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

I would run the full diagnostic from the drive mfr, not the windows one. Then, I would upgrade the Tivo to a 2TB drive and if the drive is good use the 1TB as a backup drive for a pc/laptop. With the drive already pulled you are already in a great position for 2TB of goodness!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
unitron

You are getting strange symptoms. That's a clue to suspect the power supply as well as the drive, or maybe both

Therefore, use Western Digital's own diagnostic software and run their long test on the drive.

I suggest either getting the .iso image from their site and burning a bootable cd with it (burn as an image), or the .iso image of the Ultimate Boot CD and burning yourself a copy of that. It has the WD diagnostic software on it, but I don't remember if it has wdidle3.exe or not.

If not, you should be able to get an .iso of it from the WD site as well.

The idea being testing the drive without going through Windows.

Also, strongly suspect power supply problems, read up on "capacitor plague" (several threads right here on TCF) and eyeball the tops of the caps for any deviation whatsoever from absolute flatness.

If you have a voltmeter, even better.

Check the yellow wire for + 12 V, the red for +5, if there's an orange it should be + 3.3.

Do this with a drive connected and with a drive not connected.

Readings should be about the same either way and within + or - 0.5V of nominal.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
unitron

And one other thing, you'll probably pay a lot more than $50 for a 1TB drive, so you might as well spend $100 or a little less on the WD20EURS, and do much better $/GB wise.

As long as you're running version 11.0k or later of the software, you can use WinMFS to enable use of all 2TB.

Which makes me think--they recently updated 11.0k to 11.0m to deal with last February's "expired cookie" problem, and have been rolling it out slowly instead of to every S3 at once.

It could be you got the update, which would have been written to the alternate boot partitions, and then when it tried to reboot to those partions is when your problem showed up.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkshack View Post

Any suggestions?

rkshack

And another one other thing.

At the command line you type in

wdidle3 /R

to find out what the current Intellipark status is, and

wdidle3 /D

to disable it, if it is engaged, and if that doesn't work,

wdidle3 /s300

to set the time out count to 5 minutes of inactivity before the drive goes to sleep, which is more than enough to get around the TiVo warm boot problem.

But you should only have that one hard drive attached to the PC at the time you do it, because it doesn't offer any way to choose which drive to do it to, it just does it to the drive or drives it finds connected directly to the motherboard IDE or SATA controllers. (which is why you can't us a USB adapter hookup to do it).