TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
bsmith1051

Question Consistent crash on one video/download

I have a new video-podcast episode that consistently causes my Premiere to crash and reboot. This is a podcast I have been subscribed to and successfully downloading for about a year. I am assuming that either the episode-download is corrupt or it's been recorded to a bad-sector on the hard-drive.

What should I do now?

- If it's a bad download, can I report it to Tivo somehow so that they can improve the error-detection in a future update?

- Or, if it's a bad sector, is there a way to permanently mark it so that the unit avoids it? (Worst case here, I could mark that file as Never Delete, then just ignore it. But that would waste a half-hour's worth of HD recording space.)

Any other suggestions? Thank you!
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
ejonesss

i am getting that too with recorded shows.

are you able to watch the podcast on the box and get a minor macroblocking or other blips?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
bsmith1051

Sorry, this was two years ago and I don't remember what happened. I think I just stopped watching that podcast.
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
sfhub

If it keeps rebooting at the same point, it is quite likely it is a bad sector. IMO you are best off leaving the show as is, don't delete it. This will server as your own user-level "locking out" of the bad sector.

If you try and run something like kickstart 57, it will likely go into a GSOD boot loop.

When you have some time, pull the drive out and reimage the whole drive onto a new drive using dd_rescue -A, then run kickstart 57 on the new drive.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
If it keeps rebooting at the same point, it is quite likely it is a bad sector. IMO you are best off leaving the show as is, don't delete it. This will server as your own user-level "locking out" of the bad sector.

If you try and run something like kickstart 57, it will likely go into a GSOD boot loop.

When you have some time, pull the drive out and reimage the whole drive onto a new drive using dd_rescue -A, then run kickstart 57 on the new drive.
Refresh my memory--what does the -A switch do?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote