TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
ciscokid

Roamio & Slingbox Question

Tiger Direct recently had a sale on the Sling Media Slingbox Pro HD for $64 (refurb) and I think that I screwed up when I bought one. I have a Roamio Base model. Does anyone have this combination?

There's no HDMI capability on the Slingbox unit and I guess I'm screwed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can hook the two together?

Thanks!
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
Tiger Direct recently had a sale on the Sling Media Slingbox Pro HD for $64 (refurb) and I think that I screwed up when I bought one. I have a Roamio Base model. Does anyone have this combination?

Thanks!
Composite out is your only option with a break out cable. No HD programming will be available though. Sorry....
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
rainwater

Quote:

Thanks!
Even if it had HDMI input, you wouldn't be able stream over that connection because of HDMI restrictions. The base Roamio doesn't have component out for some reason, so you will be limited to composite cables (assuming you get the breakout cables). You may find the quality is not that bad though especially outside of your home network.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
HarperVision

If you have a mini in your setup, that could provide a component video output for your Slingbox. If not, an additional $250 to add a Lifetimed one may be too much to swallow, or $75-99 plus $5/month TiVo service fee. All depends on what you're willing to spend I guess. There's also the HDMI to component adapters like the HDFury, but again a bit pricey.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
If you have a mini in your setup, that could provide a component video output for your Slingbox. If not, an additional $250 to add a Lifetimed one may be too much to swallow, or $75-99 plus $5/month TiVo service fee. All depends on what you're willing to spend I guess. There's also the HDMI to component adapters like the HDFury, but again a bit pricey.
The mini is a good option if you can afford it, mainly because you could actually put it in a room that doesn't get much use (or not even hook it to a tv at all) and you won't have to worry about using up the main tv when using the slingbox. And if you are using it to watch mostly recorded stuff, then you would rarely even take up a tuner on the main Roamio.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The mini is a good option if you can afford it, mainly because you could actually put it in a room that doesn't get much use (or not even hook it to a tv at all) and you won't have to worry about using up the main tv when using the slingbox. And if you are using it to watch mostly recorded stuff, then you would rarely even take up a tuner on the main Roamio.
Yep, that's exactly how I use mine.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

The OP, ciscokid, has a base Roamio, which doesn't have a component breakout cable. The breakout cable for a base model is composite w/LR audio, only.

It's the Mini that has component breakout available.

Simple mistake to make. I just want to help avoid any further confusion, or additional expenses, for anybody who doesn't realize this.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
ciscokid

Wow! What choices. None of which are very good.

Looks like I'll just hook up the Slingbox to one of my Tivo HD's. Seems the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
jwbelcher

Agreed. The base roamio should've had the component breakout just like the mini. Internal pics look like there was a spot for it on the board. Poor decision not to include it.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Agreed. The base roamio should've had the component breakout just like the mini. Internal pics look like there was a spot for it on the board. Poor decision not to include it.
While I fully, 100% agree, the base-model was designed to be the bargain basement model. I'd have rather not had wireless networking, if that would've covered the cost of a component breakout cable jack (and hopefully the cable).

I'd be less upset about it if the HDMI wasn't so temperamental with anything and everything I try to use them with.

Three Roamios, three TVs, multiple other HDMI devices, two brands of HDMI switches, and the only thing that won't play well with others are the Roamios.

I wouldn't be "happy" if I had to use component, or replace my TVs. Component would be a nice temporary fix while I hope TiVo fixes the problem(s).

It would suck more, if I expected to be able to use a slingbox.

IIRC, TiVo wasn't doing a good job of keeping the specifications on their own website accurate (like saying the base model had 1000Mbit ethernet). I can't recall if they made it clear that the base model was composite or HDMI only.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #11
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The OP, ciscokid, has a base Roamio, which doesn't have a component breakout cable. The breakout cable for a base model is composite w/LR audio, only. It's the Mini that has component breakout available. Simple mistake to make. I just want to help avoid any further confusion, or additional expenses, for anybody who doesn't realize this.
Ummmmm, yeah, that was already known and the entire reason we gave the advice we did, to use a mini or an HDMI to component converter that strips hdcp.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Ummmmm, yeah, that was already known and the entire reason we gave the advice we did, to use a mini or an HDMI to component converter that strips hdcp.
I think you're cross-referencing this thread with the other one, of a very similar subject matter, where it is all very clear.

This thread seemed like it may confuse some people with base-Roamios, if it wasn't explicitly pointed-out at least once or twice, in this thread, that the base-Roamio's jack isn't for component breakout.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 AM   #13
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2 View Post
Composite out is your only option with a break out cable. No HD programming will be available though. Sorry....
@nooneuknow, I guess you missed this?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
gweempose

Quote:

Looks like I'll just hook up the Slingbox to one of my Tivo HD's. Seems the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
It's also the best way to do it given your current hardware. As others have already pointed out, you don't want to use the breakout cable with your base Roamio because you won't get HD.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
@nooneuknow, I guess you missed this?
As I said, I was simply trying to make sure anybody (newcomers, skimming their way through), didn't miss such an important caveat/detail.

I repeatedly have seen people who don't know better, or have forgotten, giving out one-size-fits-all advice to people with base-Roamios, around the forum.

It's not just limited to this subject. Those who only have a Plus, Pro, or both, often give advice to people who state they have a base-model, or don't state what model, unless asked.

Have I done something to upset you? I never said anybody here made a mistake, just that overlooking the matter was an easy mistake to make.

I was only trying to be helpful, which seems to only get me grief lately...
Old 06-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #16
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
As I said, I was simply trying to make sure anybody (newcomers, skimming their way through), didn't miss such an important caveat/detail. I repeatedly have seen people who don't know better, or have forgotten, giving out one-size-fits-all advice to people with base-Roamios, around the forum. It's not just limited to this subject. Those who only have a Plus, Pro, or both, often give advice to people who state they have a base-model, or don't state what model, unless asked. Have I done something to upset you? I never said anybody here made a mistake, just that overlooking the matter was an easy mistake to make. I was only trying to be helpful, which seems to only get me grief lately...
Not at all, I get it.