TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
stevenll

setting up tivo with a local channel

Problem solved. Thanks to everyone that responded (except unitron).

Last edited by stevenll : 09-12-2013 at 10:43 PM.
stevenll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenll View Post
Hi, my parents pretty much only watch one local channel (26-1).

I connected a Comcast coaxial cable directly to the Seiki 22" LED TV, which has a digital tuner.

I did a channel scan and it picks up channel 26-1 and my parents are able to watch the channel.

We canceled Comcast (no more Comcast service), but are able to pick up channel 26-1 using the coaxial cable.

Now I am trying to connect a Tivo Series 2.

I connected the Comcast coaxial cable to the top coaxial connection on the back of the tivo. I also connected the red/white/yellow cables from the TV to the back of the tivo.

I ran guided setup using the various options of "antenna", "cable", "satellite" and I don't get any video, only black screen.

Any ideas? Thank you.
If you are still using the cable (the actual coaxial cable) that you used to get Comcast service over, then that probably constitutes theft of service.

Granted, when you cancelled they should have come out and disconnected you from their system and maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet, but technically (and legally) you aren't entitled to their service if you aren't paying for it.

That's for the TV part of your post.

As for the TiVo part, a Series 2 TiVo, any of the Series 2 TiVos, is an older model from before broadcast television stations switched over from analog to digital (back when there might have been a channel 26, but there wouldn't have been a 26.1, or 26.2), and before a lot of cable companies were offering digital channels and back when most of them were still offering analog channels.

Analog broadcast, called OTA (over the air) and analog cable used the same modulation scheme, so the same tuner could be used for both.

But nowadays OTA is digital, not analog, so your Series 2 can't tune those channels, and apparently your Comcast service (which technically isn't yours anymore) doesn't offer analog channels anymore, or they would have been detected during your attempts at Guided Setup.

And your Series 2 won't tune digital cable channels.

If whatever 26.1 is in your area is an OTA channel (where is your area, roughly?), you might be able to connect to the TiVo one of what were called coupon boxes (because of the government subsidized $40 coupons with which to partially pay for them) which were made to let people with older TVs with only analog tuners still use them to watch the new digital OTA stations.

You tune the TV to channel 3 or 4 (kind of like the old days of using a cable box or VCR) and the coupon box tunes in the OTA channel you select with its remote and sends it out to the TV as an analog channel 3 or 4 signal.

I think some of the S2s can utilize some of the coupon boxes to receive OTA channels.

Of course you'll have to have some sort of antenna to connect to the coupon box.

Here's an article that explains coupon boxes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon-..._converter_box

which are a subset of the items known as digital television adapters, or DTAs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_adapter

(There's a thing called a Tuning Adapter--TA--that is required when using non-cable company leased digital cable receiving equipment like TiVos in some circumstances, and it doesn't apply to your situation and shouldn't be confused with DTAs)

What model S2 do you have? (It's on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in)

Does it have a lifetime subscription? (What TiVo calls Product Lifetime Service)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
WhiskeyTango

To condense unitron's long winded, bloated post...the Series 2 only accepts analog signals. Your cable signal is digital. It won't work without a digital adapter.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you are still using the cable (the actual coaxial cable) that you used to get Comcast service over, then that probably constitutes theft of service.
Maybe.... or maybe not.

There is a cable company that I used to deal with. The ONLY service that I ordered from them was internet. Nothing else. No TV service or anything else.

One day, by random chance, I discovered that this company was streaming the local TV channels to us via clear QAM. I never asked them to do this and I certainly never paid for it.

Was that theft? It does not seem so to me. I did not illegally modify their equipment or service in order for me to receive free TV. Furthermore, I never authorized them to provide this to me. They just did it.

If someone gives you something for free that you never even ordered from them in the first place then that should not be considered stealing in my book.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

It's misleading and well, just wrong to suggest that they need one of the coupon boxes because, well, they don't. Not all Tivo compatible digital converter boxes are/were coupon boxes, many converter boxes were not eligible to be purchased with the coupon but are still officially compatible with Tivo and some coupon eligible boxes were not compatible with Tivo.
The list of Tivo compatible digital OTA converter boxes can be found here
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...ter/session/L3
My recommendations are the Channel Master or the Zenith models.

Also, if The OP is trying to set up a dual tuner S2 (model TCD649080), he may be SOL as that model was not made to use OTA signals. There are ways to accomplish it, but I'm not about to get into that now.

Last edited by scandia101 : 09-12-2013 at 05:19 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Maybe.... or maybe not.

There is a cable company that I used to deal with. The ONLY service that I ordered from them was internet. Nothing else. No TV service or anything else.

One day, by random chance, I discovered that this company was streaming the local TV channels to us via clear QAM. I never asked them to do this and I certainly never paid for it.

Was that theft? It does not seem so to me. I did not illegally modify their equipment or service in order for me to receive free TV. Furthermore, I never authorized them to provide this to me. They just did it.

If someone gives you something for free that you never even ordered from them in the first place then that should not be considered stealing in my book.

TC
Yowsa. I've stolen cable service back when I was a youngster, but never went out of my way to justify it as anything but theft. lol
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Maybe.... or maybe not.

TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9300170 View Post
Yowsa. I've stolen cable service back when I was a youngster, but never went out of my way to justify it as anything but theft. lol
I would guess that the cable company includes "lifeline" tv service with any other service that runs through their lines, they just don't necessarily tell you about it.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's misleading and well, just wrong to suggest that they need one of the coupon boxes because, well, they don't. Not all Tivo compatible digital converter boxes are/were coupon boxes, many converter boxes were not eligible to be purchased with the coupon but are still officially compatible with Tivo and some coupon eligible boxes were not compatible with Tivo.
The list of Tivo compatible digital OTA converter boxes can be found here
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...ter/session/L3
My recommendations are the Channel Master or the Zenith models.

Also, if The OP is trying to set up a dual tuner S2 (model TCD649080), he may be SOL as that model was not made to use OTA signals. There are ways to accomplish it, but I'm not about to get into that now.

"I think some of the S2s can utilize some of the coupon boxes to receive OTA channels.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Problem solved.
Care to share how you solved the problem so that others might learn and benefit?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
To condense unitron's long winded, bloated post...the Series 2 only accepts analog signals. Your cable signal is digital. It won't work without a digital adapter.
The phrasing of the OP's now scrubbed original post (to which no one else had responded) made me think that perhaps they didn't have the level of experience and familiarity with the technology for a shorter answer like that to be adequate.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Well, at least you didn't capitalize me.

Have I inadvertently done something to offend you?