TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
hammerhead77

Roamio Plus and Time Warner Help

Ok looking to try and get some answers. Tech on both sides have me completely frustrated. Dealing with Time Warner out of Northwest Ohio and brand new Tivo Roamio Plus. This is what I have done so far.

*All Equipment CC and TA are Motorola

- 1st CC TWC said it was paired and receiving stuck on acquiring channels 75 or 89%.

-2nd CC same as above had a 3-way call between Tivo and TWC nothing was resolved. Ordered Tech to come out next day.

-3rd CC and new TA finally received basic channels, but no SDV channels gives error of V58. Tech from natoinal CC told service tech to swap CC again with another one.

-4th CC same as above. Tech left and TWC CC rep told me it would take up to 6 hours to format. Gave it 24 hrs. and nothing is resolved same V58 code.

This brings me to this forum. I looked up to see if other people had the same problem and the only thing I came up with is ask them for RDU TWC notes. Well what the heck does this mean and how do I get TWC to contact them? Also has anybody else had this problem resolved and had any success?

I'm into this about 8 days and 20hrs and about 120 miles.(picking up equipment from office) I will give it about 1 more week before this gets packed up and set back before my 30 days are up. Sorry for the long rant any help will be greatly appreciated.
hammerhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
tatergator1

Have they looked at your wiring at all? Is this a new cable install, or are have you had TV service with TWC before? What happens if they bring a basic TWC cable box and hook it up?
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
hammerhead77

Have had TWC for 4 years now and was using their Motorala DVR in the same location as the Tivo never a problem and still will work if I hook it back up. Tech said I have great signal, and Tivo DVR diagnostic says my signal is 97%
Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
tatergator1

You mentioned a national CableCard tech when the technician was at your house. Have all your phone interactions been with TWC's national CC people? They're generally very knowledgeable and get everything up and running without issue.

Have you tried leaving the TA disconnected and checked what channels you receive with only the CableCard? This would be a good troubleshooting test to try and isolate if it's all messed up, or if the TA is causing issues. You should get most of the common SD Digital channels; the stuff on SDV which requires the TA is usually the HD's and unpopular SD channels. I think the only HD channel I get without a TA (besides the local broadcast stations in HD) in my TWC region is ESPNHD.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
hammerhead77

Yes all my interactions have been with national CC reps. I will try this once I get home. Also as a note I had a national rep call me and is looking into it further. Crossing my fingers.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead77 View Post
Have had TWC for 4 years now and was using their Motorala DVR in the same location as the Tivo never a problem and still will work if I hook it back up. Tech said I have great signal, and Tivo DVR diagnostic says my signal is 97%
There's a spot in my living room entertainment center for a TiVo. When I upgrade TiVos, I don't mess with any of the wiring .. I simply unplug the old TiVo, and use all of the same wires/CableCard/etc to hook up the new TiVo.

Anyhow, my Roamio had some initial setup issues that turned out to be SNR level related. In my mind, I had already ruled out signal issues being the problem because the TiVo that the Roamio replaced (Premiere XL4) had zero issues with the signal, and neither did the TiVo before that one (Premiere).

For whatever reason, the signal was too hot for the Roamio and caused problems. I could put the old Premiere XL4 back (again, using the same wires and everything) and it ran fine. Put the new Roamio in, and got errors. Eventually noticed that the old TiVo was seeing normal SNR levels when plugged in, but for whatever reason, the Roamio (plugged into the exact same wires) was seeing super high SNR levels. The fix for me was to put a 4-way splitter between the Roamio and the wall, which dropped the SNR down to the recommended levels.

Since your signal level is 97%, this probably isn't what's goofing yours up (mine were all pegged at 100% when the SNR was too high), but it may be worth looking at the SNR levels and see if they match what TiVo suggests.

I just wanted to mention this because in my case, the fact that previous equipment worked great in the same spot I put my Roamio turned out to be misleading.

Edit: from the cable companies point-of-view, the signal level was fine the entire time.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1

Last edited by aristoBrat : 10-23-2014 at 12:17 PM.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
hammerhead77

What did your SNR levels say and where are they located?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead77 View Post
What did your SNR levels say and where are they located?
They were mid-40s before I put the splitter in.

If you haven't already seen it, check out TiVo's troubleshooting doc below. If you expand the "Checking the signal quality" section, it should give you the path through the TiVo menus to view them, and guidelines for what the acceptable levels are:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
aristoBrat

Another thing to check would the firmware version of the CableCARD that you're using. At the top of that TiVo link from the previous post, there's a link to TiVo's CableCARD FAQ, which explains the minimum firmware version.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
hammerhead77

where is the ta firmware located?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
aristoBrat

Here you go:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/148